Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events Thread 2: December 2011-April 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Kate & Charles share a love of the arts that William & Harry do not appear to have that much interest in. They have gone to the Royal Ballet together. According to Harry's interview when he was out of the polar trek, his dad & Kate were working together to pick the music for the wedding.

The one advantage of William & Kate of dating for so long is that Will's family got to know Kate and Kate's family got to know Will in an informal setting. Looking forward to Kate with Camilla & Charles this week.

Kate & Charles share a love of the arts that William & Harry do not appear to have that much interest in. They have gone to the Royal Ballet together. According to Harry's interview when he was out of the polar trek, his dad & Kate were working together to pick the music for the wedding.

The one advantage of William & Kate of dating for so long is that Will's family got to know Kate and Kate's family got to know Will in an informal setting. Looking forward to Kate with Camilla & Charles this week.
I disagree. I think William is interested in the arts, he is President of BAFTA.

To me,the coin does not resemble Kate at all!

:previous: Nor William. He has the look of someone who's forgotten to put his false teeth in.;)

Hmm, lovely to have these coins minted, but really, the art of getting people's faces right in coin minting seems to have been lost!

Oh dear! I don't know who those people on the coins look like, but they don't look like William and Kate! :lol:

Hmm, lovely to have these coins minted, but really, the art of getting people's faces right in coin minting seems to have been lost!

To be fair, Ive seen some coins from ancient civilizations and the renaissance period that looked like crap. I believe this is the second time an attempt to put Will*Kate on coins was made, and the second time it failed. They don't look horrible, but they definitely don't look like themselves.

The worst thing is: we look at coins from the past and believe that people shown on them were idealized. So one day in the future people might actually look at these coins, believe them to be idealized and try to figure out how W&C really looked like. Go figure!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

That has to be one of the worst likenesses ever. If I didn't know who the people on the coins were supposed to be, I wouldn't have guessed.

Coins to commemorate William and Kate's wedding anniversary.

Two Coins, Two Anniversaries for Britain

Lord have mercy :eek:. Those are quite atrocious.

:previous: Nor William. He has the look of someone who's forgotten to put his false teeth in.;)

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: I do have to agree here. Very awkward likeness.

That has to be one of the worst likenesses ever. If I didn't know who the people on the coins were supposed to be, I wouldn't have guessed.

True, with the way the likenesses are, it could be anyone. I'm just happy that when they make the likeness of Her Majesty they're able to get it pretty close.

Not liking the coin depiction either!

I agree that the likenesses are, shall we say, questionable. But, then again, we can't exactly expect the tiny British Virgin Islands to be producing photograph-like depictions.

It'll be interesting to see if Royal Mail / Royal Mint are planning anything for their 1st anniversary.

Not a good depiction at all, and has Kate ever parted her hair in the middle?

Last edited:
The worst thing is: we look at coins from the past and believe that people shown on them were idealized. So one day in the future people might actually look at these coins, believe them to be idealized and try to figure out how W&C really looked like. Go figure!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: that is hysterical! I don't see how anyone approved those coins - never in a million years would I recognize them as the Cambridges

Hopefully, their portraits will still be extant in the future so people will know what they really looked like.

Last edited:
When does Prince William arrive back in the UK from his assignment in the Faulkland?:unsure:

:eek:

Prince Charles, or Prince Phillip?
Kate looks like a Greek/Roman Goddess, who needs her hair washed.
:D:lol:

Actually, I thought she looked like the lady from the Starbucks logo :lol:. Well, all the same, terrible, terrible likeness.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: that is hysterical! I don't see how anyone approved those coins - never in a million years would I recognize them as the Cambridges

If they were approved just imagine why? Perhaps the one's that weren't approved were much much worse. As for looking at past coins, maybe Cleopatra really was good looking and that coin with her likeness was made by the ancestor of the guy who created this coin of Will*Kate.

I'm having to agree with all of you. Whoever did the coins did not even come close to hitting the mark. There is no resemblance at all. Its kind of like those scary wax figures. I would be so embarrassed to even have gone forward with those things. Surely they will do them over right? Or have they already been approved? Shame.

Commemorative coins from the smaller British territories are often designed and sold by private mints without any direct involvement by the territorial government. The British Virgin Islands don't even have a circulating currency (the US dollar circulates exclusively, and I believe the only BVI coins in the usual circulating denominations were issued in proof sets in the 1970s or 1980s). Quality isn't exactly a huge concern. The coins will be sold for a value well over any possible future resell value (which isn't a problem in and of itself, but the private mints often grossly overstate the degree to which these pieces are valued on the collector's market, fooling people into believing they're some sort of investment), and the territorial government will get a little bit of money from the mint.

Last edited:
The two coins being made to commorate their anniversary look nothing like them especially william's coin. It would have been nicer if it was their actual likeness on the coins.

Are there any other commemorative items coming out for the anniversary? I would love to purchase something other than those awful coins.

So now William is coming home today, March 20? What a nice reunion for the two of them.

I bet Catherine is so happy that he will be home soon. So much to catch up on. Hopefully they will have time to themselves.

Back home to Kate: Prince William completes Falklands tour of duty
Prince William has returned to Britain after his tour of duty in the Falkland Islands and will be reunited with his wife this afternoon. He landed at RAF Brize Norton in Oxfordshire this morning after seven weeks away and he is expected to see Kate at Kensington Palace this afternoon.The Duke of Cambridge will now be on leave for a few days before he resumes his duties as a search and rescue pilot at RAF Valley in Anglesey, Wales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom