Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events Thread 2: December 2011-April 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aww that's a cute name, I've never heard it before, is it a common British pet name?

Aww that's a cute name, I've never heard it before, is it a common British pet name?

Nope, there's a VW Lupo which is a type of car. I doubt you could say there were any common pet names, considering people call they're pets all sorts of things.

Hopefully the press will stop going on about this now. I do feel though that this situation is exacerbated by William's obvious contempt for the media. I understand his resentment, but he's probably not helping himself with this reticence when it comes to silly little things like this.

Lupo comes from Lupus (Latin for wolf). It's the Italian word for wolf...

Hopefully the press will stop going on about this now. I do feel though that this situation is exacerbated by William's obvious contempt for the media. I understand his resentment, but he's probably not helping himself with this reticence when it comes to silly little things like this.

Not sure I agree with you. I just do not think how it is in the public interest to know the name of the household pets of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, and therefore, I think it is right to not necessarily share the information.

Last edited:
Nor is it in the best interest of the dog or the Cambridges, for varying reasons. It's kind of silly how the media wouldn't leave it alone.

I don't get the fuss about the dog's name to be honest? Is it really that intimate or private? If so, how will they feel if they have to reveal the names of their children? Is a dog's name more important than that? :wacko: I'm not keen on knowing their pet's names, it does not even interest me, but my god, it's just a dog's name... :nonono:

Pity that they need to write about Kate or Pippa's bum to get attention. I've seen at least 3 articles about her gray dress, of course nothing special, DM just wanted more comments and talking about them. Sad that no one noticed great success of Harry who was one of the best during last Apache training, of course Kate's dress is more important.

I agree. Sad and shallow...

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently the Duchess told a child the name of the dog. And yes, hopefully everyone will be happy now that they have a name.

Apparently the Duchess told a child the name of the dog. And yes, hopefully everyone will be happy now that they have a name.

In Liverpool yes, but I doubt that child talked to the press. So someone told the press the name of the dog, caving in for no reason. They want to know every little detail about this couple, and something secret to them is just too much to bear. Knowing the name of their dog benefits nobody.

I thought I read in one of the stories here somewhere that Kate was presented with a stuffed dog and she herself mentioned the name of her dog to the children.

Last edited:
In Liverpool yes, but I doubt that child talked to the press. So someone told the press the name of the dog, caving in for no reason. They want to know every little detail about this couple, and something secret to them is just too much to bear. Knowing the name of their dog benefits nobody.

according to Daily Mail - she told the class this morning when they gave her a toy dog to name... she suggested naming it after her new puppy Lupo. Personally I think is sounds as though Will & Kate were fed up with the drama that surrounded the name of their dog, so they decided to let it go. Without making much fuss, it was easier to release info to children. She probably thought by telling the one boy in Liverpool last week that it would leak out - what a good boy he was to keep the secret. When it didnt she told the kids today. good for her - end this absurdity. It was their right not to share - but the media was making too big of a deal about it

Ahhh, that makes more sense. The initial reports said it came from a "royal source". Still I wouldn't have caved, to be honest I wouldn't have let it start in the first place. They should be allowed some secrets.

Not sure I agree with you. I just do not think how it is in the public interest to know the name of the household pets of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, and therefore, I think it is right to not necessarily share the information.

If this were a truly personal piece of information, such as how Kate got the scar on the side of her head, I could understand wanting to keep it private. But this was about the name of a dog for goodness sake. In refusing to give the name, they made this a much bigger issue than it needed to be, to the extent where several journalists seemed to be consumed with it. Had they just been open about it to start with, this would have been a non-issue.

I just feel they have to be more careful about picking their fights. Some things are worth fighting to keep private, this was not imo.

I'm sorry but who said they ever refused to give the dogs name?! It's not like they had an hour long tv special announcing they have a dog and then refused to give the name! A picture of them with the dog was taken and printed, no one could find out the name of the dog but William and Kate, not be idiots, just didn't care to tell. It's not like this was some huge secret, the owners just didn't run out and inform the media the name of a freakin dog. Why are people acting like this was some kind of conspiracy?

I'm sorry but who said they ever refused to give the dogs name?! It's not like they had an hour long tv special announcing they have a dog and then refused to give the name! A picture of them with the dog was taken and printed, no one could find out the name of the dog but William and Kate, not be idiots, just didn't care to tell. It's not like this was some huge secret, the owners just didn't run out and inform the media the name of a freakin dog. Why are people acting like this was some kind of conspiracy?

Richard Palmer, the royal correspondent of the Daily Express, has tweeted about this on many occasions since the photo of Will and Kate with the puppy was published. Journalists have asked Clarence House / St James's Palace for the name of the puppy on numerous occasions and been told that Will and Kate wanted to keep the information private. At first they wouldn't even confirm the breed of the dog, although they eventually caved on that one.

My point it, this became a bigger issue due to William and Kate's intransigence over what is a pretty trifling issue. I mean, the story about the name finally being revealed dominated the front page of The Times website yesterday! It became a big mystery because they, stupidly in my view, refused to confirm the dog's name to start with.

There have been many changes within their environment after they married. Knowing how private a person William is I wouldn't wonder if they took the opportunity to test some of their new staff etc. And when it turned out they all keep quiet, (which is great, for of course anybody who met Catherine and her dog has known the name for young puppies are constantly called by it!) Catherine revealed it herself. IMHO that is the most logical explanation I see for not telling the name straight away.

I think this is merely William and Kate doing things on their OWN terms, in their OWN time, with their OWN choosing. Their refusal to provide information just because the public wants it seems mature and responsible to me. It seems to work for them!

It's not the public that wants to know the name of their dog, it's the press. They just can't handle someone having a secret from them.

I just find it strange to name their dog " lupo" and people are sort of thinking that that's a name that they think is in bad taste. I just don't see the problem in the name?

I think Lupo is a great dog name. When I was growing up, we had Wolfie I and Wolfie II. Dog origins are domesticated wolves, so why not name the dog Lupo.

BTW, I wanted to know their dog's name and I'm not the press.

I like the name Lupo as well. But if the dog was to be raised in Brazil it would not be that nice. Lupo is a big brand of socks, stockings and underwear here. They even have an advertising saying that it is the brand of the Loba *feamale form of Lobo - wolf), Loba means here the same asr Cougar in American English! Same meaning, different animals! LOL

Last edited:
:previous:Interesting. Cross-species language usage. Lupos are not felines, but I think I get it, but I won't translate Lupa to English here. Not a nice thing to be called.

Cute name for a puppy, since he's a boy dog.

And he's a cocker spaniel, a dog most prone to happily running in circles (loops) around a person. Lupo is a great name. I don't know about the Duke and Duchess, but when we first name a pet, sometimes we change it again, if it doesn't stick. It would be silly btw to hold anything like an official press conference or talk directly to a few reporters about a dog's name - it had to come out casually, as it did. That's just normal, to me.

Anyway, I bet Lupo is good company for Kate while William is gone.

I like the name; I think it's unusual, short and to the point. And I like the allusion to running around in loops, PrincessKaimi. And if they get a female dog, my suggestion would be to name it Lulu.

Last edited:
Lupo is unique. I, for one, have always given my pups names from lyrics of The Beatles. (Molly is my current 100lbs Black Labrador.) I love that they got creative! Dogs can be such a special part of the family and I love the he's keeping her company while her husband is away.

I only hope they didn't settle on "Lupo" because the little puppy is howling like a little woolf... Some puppys do that, unfortunately. ;)

Kataryn said:
I only hope they didn't settle on "Lupo" because the little puppy is howling like a little woolf... Some puppys do that, unfortunately. ;)

Yes, I hope he is only wolf-like in name and not howl!

Richard Palmer, the royal correspondent of the Daily Express, has tweeted about this on many occasions since the photo of Will and Kate with the puppy was published. Journalists have asked Clarence House / St James's Palace for the name of the puppy on numerous occasions and been told that Will and Kate wanted to keep the information private. At first they wouldn't even confirm the breed of the dog, although they eventually caved on that one.

My point it, this became a bigger issue due to William and Kate's intransigence over what is a pretty trifling issue. I mean, the story about the name finally being revealed dominated the front page of The Times website yesterday! It became a big mystery because they, stupidly in my view, refused to confirm the dog's name to start with.

It's a freakin dog! For crying out loud if people, as Lumutqueen said the press, are getting obsessed over the name of a dog then that is their problem! It's a freakin dog for crying out loud! What's next are they going to want to know what kind of underwear Kate wears? What William eats for breakfast before work? How many times they call each other while he is in the Falklands? This crap is freakin trivial! My gawd the Kardashian's have more substance than this crap! I still say Kate and William recognized how stupid the whole thing was in the first place. "OMG! They got a dog! Let's make it front page news and make a conspiracy theory about the lack of a name given for the dog."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom