The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 04:42 PM
Nobility

Interesting precedence to establish early in their marriage. Just wondering if/when they would consider changing their view on sending Christmas cards or are they just emailing their friends.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I'll go with when they have children. This might sound strange for royals but perhaps the Cambridges and Harry are too 'young' for a christmas card on their own.

Old 12-10-2011, 09:20 AM
Courtier

I wonder if the reason they aren't going to send christmas cards it more environmentally related. After all, where do most cards end up? In the trash.

However, if I ever received a christmas card from a member of the royal family, I would frame it and put it on display in my house.

I suspect most of the christmas cards go to other royals and close friends. Am I right in thinking that?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
I wonder if the reason they aren't going to send christmas cards it more environmentally related. After all, where do most cards end up? In the trash.

However, if I ever received a christmas card from a member of the royal family, I would frame it and put it on display in my house.

I suspect most of the christmas cards go to other royals and close friends. Am I right in thinking that?
I would imagine, as you said you would, most would keep the cards longer than other Christmas cards, and since Charles sends out Christmas cards I doubt the environment is the reason. Perhaps they just don't want to and won't even in the future.

The cards are also sent to their staff.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post

Oh, most definitely. What a treat that would be. I do however agree with you about other people and cards. I know I don't keep them for a long time (though there are some from close friends that were given to me for events like graduations that I don't want to throw out for sentimental reasons). I certainly hope that William and Catherine will send out Christmas cards later in their marriage, but would understand completely if they don't. It's their choice.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

A story in Monday's Times, which is unfortunately paywalled so I won't link to it, suggests that Buckingham Palace will this week announce the destination of the overseas visit which William and Kate will make on behalf of HMQ in the second half of next year as part of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations.

To quote the article:

'In common with other members of the Royal Family, the couple are expected to visit a number of overseas realms while the Queen is expected to confine her travelling to the UK.'

In addition, the article goes on to state that Kate is likely to undertake solo engagements while William is in the Falklands in the early part of the year. The piece states that Kate has, as we've seen, visited and been in touch with several charities in order to decide which ones she wishes to support. The arts and art therapy are highlighted specifically. The article is quite direct about the fact that it is very much Kate who is driving this process and that she's very confident. William has been supportive, but this is all Kate. With regards to her first proper solo engagement an aide is quoted as saying:

“It is not going to be one of those other duties that the Royal Family dip in and out of all the time. She knows that she can bring profile to subjects. If they are issues close to her heart, that gives her all the more confidence. She has been trying to work out those fields where she can most make a difference”.

The Times is paywalled as I said (and I, for my sins, choose to pay the subscription) so I thought a summary would be helpful. The Times has had very good sources of late. It was of course their sister paper the Sunday Times who had the scoop on Sarah Burton way ahead of everyone else.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:06 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
A story in Monday's Times, which is unfortunately paywalled so I won't link to it, suggests that Buckingham Palace will this week announce the destination of the overseas visit which William and Kate will make on behalf of HMQ in the second half of next year as part of the Diamond Jubilee celebrations.

To quote the article:

'In common with other members of the Royal Family, the couple are expected to visit a number of overseas realms while the Queen is expected to confine her travelling to the UK.'

In addition, the article goes on to state that Kate is likely to undertake solo engagements while William is in the Falklands in the early part of the year. The piece states that Kate has, as we've seen, visited and been in touch with several charities in order to decide which ones she wishes to support. The arts and art therapy are highlighted specifically. The article is quite direct about the fact that it is very much Kate who is driving this process and that she's very confident. William has been supportive, but this is all Kate. With regards to her first proper solo engagement an aide is quoted as saying:

“It is not going to be one of those other duties that the Royal Family dip in and out of all the time. She knows that she can bring profile to subjects. If they are issues close to her heart, that gives her all the more confidence. She has been trying to work out those fields where she can most make a difference”.

The Times is paywalled as I said (and I, for my sins, choose to pay the subscription) so I thought a summary would be helpful. The Times has had very good sources of late. It was of course their sister paper the Sunday Times who had the scoop on Sarah Burton way ahead of everyone else.
I'm looking forward to seeing what she does as her first solo engagement. It's wonderful to see that she's getting involved with causes that she's passionate about, and is the one in charge of choosing what she wants to support and represent. She'll be doing some great things during her lifetime (well, she has the potential, and it would be marvelous to see it realized to the fullest).

Old 12-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you for the summary, EIIR, it sounds like Kate is ready to go at the starting gate. It will be interesting to see her out and about on behalf of the patronages she'll be sponsoring and what the results will be due to her high profile. I wish her the best of luck in her endeavors.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:35 AM
Nobility

Just payand read the article Here is the title. The summary from EIIR was perfect.

Solo mission
Kate plans lone engagements while William is away
Old 12-12-2011, 09:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
On 8th Jan Princes William & Harry plus Kate Middleton will attend the UK premiere of War Horse with Steven Spielberg in Leicester Sq.
https://twitter.com/#!/Elisa_Roche
Old 12-13-2011, 11:13 AM
Majesty

Some more things to look forward to next week:

britishroyals British Royals
Diary Alert: it's 19 Dec (The Sun Military Awards) & 21 Dec (Centrepoint) for William & Kate before they presumably head off to Sandringham

Old 12-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince William, Kate Set Christmas Schedule : People.com
Old 12-13-2011, 01:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
These are good causes, and I'm excited to see them involved, especially this time of year.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:24 PM
Heir Apparent

SO happy I donated after William and Kate's visit
Kate Middleton and Prince William raise £1million for charity in a single day - mirror.co.uk
Old 12-14-2011, 12:12 AM
Nobility

Happy too; I donated after their visit. Before I didnt think about it, it's a shame but I suppose many people are us I am.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:15 PM
Royal Highness

I'm happy too. I donated shortly after their visit.
It shows how royals can be useful and their existence obviously makes sense.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
What a way to make a difference! Well done.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree, this was a fantastic result. I think this sort of event is a good indicator of how the RF should operate. Will and Kate have an international reach which is pretty unique. It reminds me of how when Kate wore a Reiss dress to meet the Obamas the Reiss website got an additional 6 million hits. There's a power there which, if they wield it properly, they should be able to use for significant good.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:57 PM
Serene Highness

Congratulations to the members of the British public for their generosity. I'm glad to see that the public responded so enthusiastically during tough economic times in the UK.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:34 AM
Majesty

The thread for the tour is locked, so I'm posting this here.

Jubilee: royal trip to paradise for Duke and Duchess - Telegraph

Closed Thread