Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 6: January 2014 - September 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm always delighted to see the voice of reason when it comes to this issue. People don't think about the fact that William and Catherine (and Harry) are not their own bosses; they're at the mercy of their father, and grandmother, if you will. I also think that Her Majesty saw what happened with her grandsons' parents, and wanted to make sure it doesn't happen again by allowing William and Catherine to put their family first. I also agree that William wants his family life to be as close to that of the Middletons' as possible, and allowing himself and his wife only the status of part-time royals makes that possible. They both have organizations that they're very much involved with (even if mostly behind the scenes), and passionate about, so they're still active. However, to some, if they're not in parade like trained monkeys, smiling waving, and cutting ribbons three times a day, five days a week, they're seen as lazy, good-for-nothing parasites. Sad, but true.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app
:previous:Both of you and Lee have written excellent responses about the unusual situation that the BRF is in with an adult heir and adult heir-to-the-heir. This is Europe's largest group of working royals and the reasons to keeping the younger generation at a part-time basis for this point in time are continuously speculated upon. The cost factor that the PoW must cover some of the expenses for his sons and daughter-in-law's engagements is a reality. It doesn't surprise me that when they do perform engagements that there are often multiple ones in a day and they're typically busy for a week and then off.

Yes bravo to Lee and Daria! So well said.

LaRae

Well, I'm not sure William and Catherine will be part-time royals for too long now. I think as long has they have a good balance of working around William's new job and their official duties for the next two years, they will be fine for the moment. William's SAR job in Wales presented problems with their official roles and it was becoming harder for him and Catherine to fulfill their royal duties.

It's going to take them many years to reach the working level of the likes of The Queen, Charles and Anne. I don't think anyone expects them to reach that level by tomorrow, but William and Catherine must be seen doing their official duties though.

Royal Central ‏@RoyalCentral 2m2 minutes ago
William and Kate will attend the America's Cup World Series on 26th July in Portsmouth, meeting teams and watching them compete.

British Royals ‏@britishroyals 2m2 minutes ago
Kate (@1851Trust Patron) & William will meet teams, watch @acwspmth race & present medals on July 26th in Portsmouth

William is probably going to reminded of his epic sailing defeat in NZ by the Kate ? . Plus we get to see Sir Ben again ⛵

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I feel like William's new 4 days on, 4 days off schedule could allow him a great balance between his day job and his royal obligations.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

He is definitely more closer to London than he was when he was stationed in Wales.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Thanks for the info. I am especially excited to see the Duchess with little Leo. She is so magical with children. And based on past experience, I bet the Duke gets in on the action with little Leo too. ;) :D

I sense a new member of the William and Kate fan for life club.;) :D

How exciting! The little boy is probably beyond thrilled. Can't wait to see the pictures and videos.

Last edited:
I wonder- will Kate be criticized for taking time off maternity leave- like she was for watching tennis? Or is it acceptable? ;) And heaven help us if she doesn't wear jewels. The woman cannot win.:sad:

No, I really don't think so because this engagement is about royal duties and supporting her patronage for the 1851 Trust.

That's what I figure too. But some might criticize her - I don't know why they would- that watching sailing is not working, and why would she choose that over other things.

I've already read complaints (on pro-Kate blogs none the less) that this is just her cherry picking another fun sport event and that this charity isn't a "real charity". :bang:

There shouldn't be any complaints. Catherine is getting ready to return to her official duties.

I've already read complaints (on pro-Kate blogs none the less) that this is just her cherry picking another fun sport event and that this charity isn't a "real charity". :bang:

Not surprising, but I don't understand it. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion of course, but I dislike such harsh narrow minded critical attitudes/ viewpoints and unfair un constructive undeserved criticism. Criticism with no purpose except to criticize. Criticism just to be nasty. People feel so entitled. Like she owes them something. We owe her gratitude.
If that's the biggest thing you can find to complain about in the world...

Last edited:

and if she didn't show up it would be... 'why cant she show up and support her own charity?'

These future hypothetical events/lack of attendance/potential criticisms aren't exactly "current events" :ROFLMAO:

No, I really don't think so because this engagement is about royal duties and supporting her patronage for the 1851 Trust.

And likely this engagement has been on her calendar since the first day she accepted the 1851 Trust as a new patronage about a year ago. Those who have organized the event would have chosen the date far in advance to take advantage of the likely sailing conditions and allow time to prepare for an event on this scale.:)

and if she didn't show up it would be... 'why cant she show up and support her own charity?'

Sadly, your'e correct. The woman cannot win.:sad: Can you imagine if she went to this on a day when one of her children's charities was having a big function they invited her to, and she went to this sailing thing instead? Then I could see the issue. She wouldn't do that though.
Although I suspect that there would be bigger griping if she didn't show up for a cause like AOA, EACH, TAR, or P2B. That's seen as " work " and " charity". Sailing is not. I disagree. I think this is work. As opposed to Wimbledon. But even then, I couldn't understand the griping. It's not like all she does all the time is go to sporting events, and neglect her duties, or not have causes. Total opposite. So if she wants to go to a tennis game, who cares?
Now do I wish that Catherine could devote herself to children and health charities? Sure. She's magical with them, and I get why people want to see her at these types of events. Photos of Catherine cuddling children make my day, and as a handicapped person myself I have an idea what it means to those children- what a difference it makes. It's obvious.But I understand that the BRF have to promote a spectrum of things. So if Catherine wants to promote sailing, good for her. She hasn't done anybody wrong, or been neglectful of her other causes. She does her duty in her role, and fulfills her obligations. Sadly, she can never win.

Last edited:
Sadly, your'e correct. The woman cannot win.:sad: Can you imagine if she went to this on a day when one of her children's charities was having a big function they invited her to, and she went to this sailing thing instead? Then I could see the issue. She wouldn't do that though.

This statement brings up an interesting observation for me. To assure that things don't get into a whirlwind of chaos between all the charities and patronages that the royals support, their engagement calendars are scheduled far in advance of the date. I'd bet my last cheese curl that when Kate became pregnant with Charlotte, there were engagements penciled in around her delivery date that had to be canceled or put off to another date.

Life does happen but its very rare that we see Kate (or any royal for that matter) "call in sick" for an engagement unless its a severe illness or something dire that's happened.

Its kind of amusing to think that these royals do all this extensive work for their charities and patronages without pay and really can't call in sick and even face public criticism for what they do or don't do. I don't think there's many of us out there that would willingly face that kettle of fish.

The engagement in Portsmouth is a major international sailing event in support of the 1851 Trust. Catherine is Royal Patron of the trust.

Anyone criticising her for this will criticise her no matter what the engagement.

I know I wouldn't . Not that I wouldn't. I would love to be able to make the difference that William and Kate do. I couldn't . One reason I admire them so. Amusing and sad.
I agree about the schedule. Events are planned far out. I would imagine the royal doesn't schedule an appearance for the charity- the charity moves it's schedule around for the royal.

Last edited:
All the criticism that Catherine receives, regardless of what the reason is, makes me think of a line from that (in my opinion) annoying song by Taylor Swift 'the haters are gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate'. It's the only way to sum it up. The woman cannot win, but I think she realizes that, and does what works for her, her charities, and the Royal Family. The opinions of the complainers probably don't even enter her mind, which probably riles them up even more.

And makes me admire her even more. I am so glad she's a member of the BRF.

And makes me admire her even more. I am so glad she's a member of the BRF.

I'm with you. I've been working very hard on not caring what others think, because let's face it, I'm not chocolate, and can't please everyone, but I've had no success yet. I'd love to have her level of confidence, or at least the ability to come across as if I do. She's an asset, and has the right personality for this job.

And I'm especially happy that she's like the way she is- for the sake of the children- hers- and those she meets. It would be horrible if she lacked the confidence to be her magical self with them.
I used to be where you are- and to some extent still am- it's good to care what others think- for example you and I- friends care what friends think, but it's not good if you overdo it.
I admire Catherine for her people skills and her confidence.

Last edited:
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 6: January 2014

Oh, absolutely! The woman has social skills and confidence that would make my grad school advisor salivate, and demand that the woman pass those on to me, and one of the other students in the program who had self-confidence issues. One of my TAs used to tell me that I need to channel my 'inner Kate' whenever I had to deal with our principal. I could never do it, but boy, do I wish that I could. The children are drawn to her, and so is the rest of the public. As to caring what others think, yes, I care what my friends think. Just need to cut down on people who want to be nasty for no reason. And we can't forget William's people skills either. I tell you, those two would have done wonders for a lot of my students...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom