Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 6: January 2014 - September 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's great that Michael & Carole decided to give William & Catherine a break by taking care of George while his parents go and have some private time. My grandparents did the samething for my parents when I was a little crumb snatcher.

I think its great too and remember all the times my parents took my kids so we could have some quality alone adult time which is very scarce when you have a household of small ones. I can remember thinking how great it would be to have an entire night of conversation above a Sesame Street level. Right now I think George is accustomed to having at least one parent around him at all times and this might be a great way to acclimate him to widen his circle of trusted people without his parents being there. As time goes on, there will be times when both William and Kate will be otherwise engaged it eases the parent's mind to know that George will be OK without them. I can imagine that on this tour of Australia and NZ, with their days being packed with things they're scheduled to do, like Diana and Charles, they won't be able to be in constant attendance with George and knowing that George is OK with them being away, its a win win situation.

As far as the vacation to the Maldives, I personally think its great that these two can take time away together like this and know they have nothing they have to focus on but each other for a week. Although it may seem to some that this couple is "lazy", I just keep remembering that these two actually are not calling the shots on how much they do or don't do. I don't think they can take the incentive and say "I want at least 3 public appearances a week" or "I want more formal occasions" or even "I want to open ten McDonald's in the next month as I'm having Big Mac attacks". Like any employees of a corporation, its the higher ups and the Boss that calls the shots and sets the limit of what they can do or don't do. This couple does royal engagements representing The Queen and she very much has a grip on just how she is represented. I truly believe that if this couple was actually "lazy", HM herself would be the first to notice and do something about it.

I think its great too and remember all the times my parents took my kids so we could have some quality alone adult time which is very scarce when you have a household of small ones.

All this extremely wealthy and privileged couple needs to do if they want to spend time alone together is go alone together to some place there is no child. They have the resources to do this any time they want; they don't need to fly thousands of miles away and book a whole resort to do it.

I truly believe that if this couple was actually "lazy", HM herself would be the first to notice and do something about it.
So you think there is more chance of HM interfering and telling this couple what's on her mind and that they should change their ways than there was of her doing it 30 years ago when she was much younger and stronger and her heir and his wife needed to be told to get their act together and either work out their marriage or divorce? She did eventually step in when they were positively hostile to each other in pubic, but she wouldn't interfere until the bitter end. HM is well known for looking the other way and avoiding conflict of this sort. If she didn't do it then, I think there isn't much chance of her doing it now.

Today's Northern Territory newspaper's front page - shown on several TV channels here in Sydney this morning - is about little Prince George being set to meet George the crocodile when he visits NT on the Royal Tour.

Hope PG is not caught napping during these official occasions, with George the Bilby at Taronga and now George the croc up north :lol:.

Sun Lion.

If PG is going to be caught napping, I hope it's by George the Bilby and not George the croc. :D

Last edited:
All this extremely wealthy and privileged couple needs to do if they want to spend time alone together is go alone together to some place there is no child. They have the resources to do this any time they want; they don't need to fly thousands of miles away and book a whole resort to do it.

They didn't need to but they have the means to do it and chose to. Personally, if I had the means to do what they did, I'd do it in a NY minute and not think twice about it.

So you think there is more chance of HM interfering and telling this couple what's on her mind and that they should change their ways than there was of her doing it 30 years ago when she was much younger and stronger and her heir and his wife needed to be told to get their act together and either work out their marriage or divorce? She did eventually step in when they were positively hostile to each other in pubic, but she wouldn't interfere until the bitter end. HM is well known for looking the other way and avoiding conflict of this sort. If she didn't do it then, I think there isn't much chance of her doing it now.

There is a difference I think between stepping in and interfering in a couple's private life as she did when a marriage is on the rocks than how William and Kate work in and participate in matters pertaining to The Firm and actually I do think how much they do and whatnot is not only under the consent and guidance of HM but also that Way Ahead committee that the senior royals and advisers participate in to plan the future of the BRF and just how its going to function. I believe they all sat down (William included), plotted the course and then announced officially that this was to be a "transitional year" for both William and Kate. I do think that once this year has passed, we will be seeing more and more of Wills and Kate out doing engagements both together and individually.

^^^Excellent response Osipi I agree that instructions within the BRF are given from the top. HM with the advice of the DoE and the PoW is the senior royal in charge.

While enjoying life is good if you have the funds, but it's not their money. It's from the taxpayers and from the pockets of Prince Charles. As for Kate, compared to Fergie, Diana, she's done next to nothing. Three engagements in three months is nothing.

They have funds of their own to pay for these trips.

...their security and George's seperate security whilst they are gone is being paid for with my taxes.
unclear if security is paid with your taxes; if no security you would probably complain too. just be glad you are not an heir to the british throne.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
The security would be paid by the taxpayer's if they were in KP, a hotel in the Maldives or on tour in Australia and NZ.

unclear if security is paid with your taxes; if no security you would probably complain too. just be glad you are not an heir to the british throne.:flowers:
William and Catherine are zero cost to the tax payer except for security. They do not decide the level of security they have - that is totally dependent on the security situation at the time. My view is that they would love not to have it, but that will never be allowed.

It is interesting what is not being allowed for William. I've thought about it because he comes across as rather sulky. As people have mentioned he is now 32 and a man and should be working.....

- wanted to be front line soldier with his regiment - not allowed.
- wanted to stay with SAR - not allowed within timeframe whilst still RAF; cant work for a private company; this was a job he openly admitted he loved

And somewhere I read about him being interested in conservation and how he loves Africa - but that he would never be allowed to work there as it has become too dangerous, particularly towards the end of last year.

Perhaps this is what he wanted or planned to do and it was stopped. Maybe that's why he appears to be drifting. I know this is conjecture but I was trying to work out what he would want to do - and there are not a lot of choices.

I certainly understand that a young man who has been in a physically demanding/potentially risky role could see 50 years of purely royal duties as not something he wanted. Charles struggled when the Queen made him give up the navy when he was 27; and Philip hated leaving the navy. They eventually found causes which helped others and stretched them personally. William is going through the same angst, just nowadays it happens in the public glare.

I've had issues with William's attitude for a while, but maybe I was wrong.

It has to frustrating to be destined for a job from the moment you are born but have to wait for your parent or grandparent to die to fulfill the job. We haven't had a time in the last 100 years where there is 2 adult heirs.

They are second in line with transition going on. Charles is taking on more of the monarch role and William is taking on more of the heir role. Her Majesty's age is a factor.

General News and Information for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

It is interesting what is not being allowed for William...
You bring up an interesting point here.

I think the problem with William's attitude is that he seems to be focusing on things that he can't do in the long run, while neglecting the duties he's going to have to do in his future.

Instead of looking at the negative, William should be turning his existing interests into his duties. He likes to be involved in SAR and the Armed Forces but isn't able to pursue either as a career long term? I'm sure there are veterans groups and similar that William could get involved in. Sure he might not be able to go on a Walking Wounded trip, but I doubt there aren't ways he could be involved while based in the UK. He's interested in conservation in Africa but can't be more actively involved due to his position and safety risks? There is a need for conservation in the UK too.

What's more is that he has other interests, and he could surely expand some of them into more duties as well. He needs to look at what he can do instead of what he can't - not that I'm faulting him for looking at the negative, as that's an aspect of human nature most of us, myself included, are guilty of.

I think what Charles and the DoE, as well as other royals, eventually realized is that as much as their position limits them career-wise, it also gives them this amazing ability to explore so many more different things that interest them than most people are. William just needs to figure that out for himself.

As a member of the Commonwealth, a mother, a wife, a student and a business owner I find the lack of 'work' infuriating! IMO the BRF are a representation of the history of the Commonwealth, not always a great one, but it is who we are. They to me, embody tradition, charm, a certain class and a living historical reminder of where we came from.
Having said this we live today, where role models are important. I have a 21 year old daughter that would run rings around these two. I have more than enough money to swan around holidaying when the need takes me, BUT I prefer to lead by example. That example being, working! I worked prior to having my children, I became a full time mother (without a nanny, although could afford one) then went on to run my business when my girls were old enough.
There is NO excuse for not working! Princess Anne works hard, is she the heir, the spare? If Will is bored or frustrated, work! And don't say "doing what?" Take on more duties, do something outside the box. Don't get me started on his wife. I really don't care what their titles are or what they will do in the future, we live in the now and right now, I am not seeing the embodiment of what royal means for me. All I see is a couple of rich kids who are riding on the coat tails of the Queen and PC.

...I think what Charles and the DoE, as well as other royals, eventually realized is that as much as their position limits them career-wise, it also gives them this amazing ability to explore so many more different things that interest them than most people are. William just needs to figure that out for himself.
I posted at the same time as you 'ish' but you said it better than I did!

Isn't that exactly what he is doing with this transitional year. He is going to school the learn how to run the Duchy of Cornwall, then he is going on a 3 week tour. After that we don't know. It should be interesting to watch as long as we don't try to box him into a corner. It is new ground.

Maybe they can loan George the crocodile to the zoo in Sydney for the day :)

I've got my fingers crossed Skippyboo that little PG will get an outing at Taronga zoo here in Sydney for the official opening of the Bilby Enclosure.

That would be good PR for both Prince George - would it be his first official engagement? :lol: and good PR for the relatively uknown bilby.

I just had a proper read of the "NT News" article and G the croc only weighs one kilo - so not so scary yet.

The report says he maybe moved from his normal home in Darwin down to Uluru so the Duke and Duchess can have a look at him on PG's behalf. (The Northern Territory gave George to Prince George upon his birth.)

Another good photo opportunity.

And the NT supplies all the crocodile skins that go into those "Hermes" bags that you have to go on a waiting list to buy, in case anyone didn't know.

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Last edited:
I believe it was Max Hastings, former editor of Times of London who quoted prince Charles saying how horrible it was to be prince of Wales. Hastings was duly shocked and supposedly never spoke to him again; myself I can well imagine how difficult it must be to live in the royal straitjacket and I can well imagine prince William chafing under the various expectations of him. He is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't, so let him live his own life, I say!:flowers:

AristoCat:
There is NO CIVIL LIST any more, and if you would look at the facts, the Queen has repaid the money that went to some of the royals out of her own pocket. Prince Charles inherited the Duchy and has made it a working operation that has supported himself, his children and many families that work for the Duchy. He has also paid taxes, so what is this coming to? Is everybody here so darn jealous that they have money and we don't or what? I don't care who has money or how much, it's their money, not the taxpayers and I wish to heck the media and some here would get their facts together before they complain all the time. I have learnt much here in the way of history and the way the royal family plays in the role of the country and government. If people don't like their government, go change it, I sure in the hel l would love to change my government and I mean 99.99% of CONGRESS who cost way more then the British royal family does. Yikes people!

Gerry:He is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't, so let him live his own life, I say!:flowers:

Yes both William and Catherine must have hides as thick as the toughest animal on this planet with all the negative comments about them. I don't do sugar yet there is and should be some insight into what these young people do...........William is like a prisoner of war, he can't do this because he is not allowed, he can't do that because it's dangerous...........so what in the hell can he do? He can't please all the people all the time and in fact there are few that he does please and there are so many lies about the money factor, he has a *HUGE* inheritance from his mother as does Harry and they could live on the interest alone for the rest of their lives extremely well, so people should read that there is NO civil list anymore.

Your comment: Be damned if he does and be damned if he doesn't is just where he is at and I would not want that for all the money in the world and if some out would like that..........I feel sorry for you.

Taronga Zoo Where W & C, (& Maybe Little G), Will Visit.

Hi All,

Here are a few of my photos of Taronga Zoo, in Sydney, where the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, (and maybe if he is up for it, Prince George), will be on Easter Sunday, after the Church Service at St Andrews in the CBD.

The Royal Party may travel to Taronga across the Harbour, or if they pop back to Admiralty House after church, by road, as it is only a few minutes away from there.

Most people like to go to the zoo by ferry, as they can then take the aerial safari up above the zoo to the top and walk downwards.

(Easier than starting at the bottom and spending the day walking forever upwards.)

That way they end up back at the Harbour and can get the ferry home.

Here are a few shots I took of the aerial safari.

Sun Lion.

Attachments

• DSC03483.jpg
    DSC03483.jpg
    212.6 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC03574.jpg
    DSC03574.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 157
More Taronga Photos.

Did you ever hear that the giraffes at Taronga have one of Sydney's best views?

They look out across the Harbour to the Opera House - every single day of their lives.

Sun Lion.

And P.S. for you Skippyboo - one of the crocodiles already in residence at Taronga.

(Though like koalas - and sharks - there are also crocodiles living at Darling Harbour in the CBD. That way tourists can have the outback experience - without leaving Sydney!)

Cheers, Sun Lion.

Attachments

• DSC03526.jpg
    DSC03526.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 219
  • DSC03652.jpg
    DSC03652.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC03540.jpg
    DSC03540.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
...I think the problem with William's attitude is that he seems to be focusing on things that he can't do in the long run, while neglecting the duties he's going to have to do in his future.
I agree - like most people there are LIMITS to what we can all do, and it's frustrating. We learn to live within them and change what we can. Will would be much better off seeing the glass half full rather than half empty. His father certainly seems to be a man satisfied with is lot in life, and his life certainly had his ups and downs.

If he's in a funk a day or two a week of hard physical work - such a lifting sandbags would do him no end of good - helps to work out the cobwebs. As people say, there's PLENTY of environmental/conservation issues in Britain he can focus on.

I dont' like to be called "ingnorant" just because I've said my opinion! It seems like royal can't receive criticism at all and everything they do is just right! They are not gods or saints and if I think that their behaviour is wrong and this vacation in inappropriate and I disagree with posts that are always defending them for whatever reason I'm free to tell! Without been attacked!

General News and Information for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family

The Kiwis maybe beat the Aussies for George's first engagement. There is a baby parent group Plunket meeting that W&K and possibly G in Wellington at Govt House scheduled to attend early on in the NZ portion of the tour.

William and Kate are having tea with the NT govt guy. Maybe George the croc can come too since he is still small. :) The zoo in Sydney looks awesome. I love a good zoo. Hopefully George will get to spend his Easter afternoon there.

PS- For the UK posters complaining about the security cost for WK, Mrs Obama, the 2 girls and her Mom went to China on holiday. I spent a week in London paying VATs in 2012. Can some of you come to the US this year? There is a new Harry Potter World Section opening in the summer at Universal Studios in Orlando and the american taxpayers may have to pay to fly Bo and Sunny, the Obama dogs to Martha's vineyards for vacation again so every little bit will help :)

Have they been called names? Has their intelligence been questioned, their integrity? I don't post much in the Cambridge threads but I browse frequently. I haven't seen it.
:sad:
Moonmaiden - I apologize for the name calling (notice - labeled the behavior, not the people involved). Those little ! buttons in the upper right corner of posts can be used to notify Mods of unacceptable behavior. Use them. They work.
Lets quit name calling and get back on topic.

Getting back on topic, when are the first pap photos of the Duke and Duchess on romantic holiday coming out? Any word.. perhaps Twitter will let us know.

I thought the pictures of Kate debarking the plane with George at Mustique signaled a new openness to the press and so I'm hoping we might get photos from this trip. But then again, George didn't go with them so maybe not.

Last edited:
I thought the pictures of Kate debarking the plane with George at Mustique signaled a new openness to the press and so I'm hoping we might get photos from this trip. But then again, George didn't go with them so maybe not.

No they didn't. They did not complain about pix taken in a public place. If paps attempt to invade their private space on holiday, then that would be different. They are just going to select which battles to fight.

Well, that's why I said thought, hope and maybe. One can always speculate about their actions, or inactions. They may surprise all of us yet one of these days; nothing is written in stone.

Last edited:
You bring up an interesting point here.

I think what Charles and the DoE, as well as other royals, eventually realized is that as much as their position limits them career-wise, it also gives them this amazing ability to explore so many more different things that interest them than most people are. William just needs to figure that out for himself.

Yes, Charles and the DoE EVENTUALLY figured this out. Now that both men have decades of relative stability and undeniable good work behind them I think most people forget how adrift they both were earlier on in their lives. Charles' problems are more well known, but everything I've read on the early married life of QEII and the DoE indicates that he also seriously struggled with his role and finding a place for himself in the royal machine, especially after he needed to leave the navy. Like William, Philip loved the military and could have made a very good life for himself there, but it wasn't an option. After the end of his military career, Philip had a several year period of bumps in the road before eventually settling in to royal life and making a place for himself. He tried to take on various projects and was met with resistance by courtiers. He sometimes overstepped his bounds and irritated even his own family, including The Queen. He was criticized for his partying and appearances at "fast" nightclubs with people of less than sterling reputation. Eventually he settled in to royal life and figured out that, yes, he had a great opportunity to pursue some of his interests in ways that would also fit in with his royal career - such as The DoE Awards scheme. But that didn't happen instantaneously.

I think William is now in a similar situation in that he's a young, capable man who's coming to realize he's not going to get his first choice, (or even his second), in his professional life. IMO, there's every indication over the last year that he's accepting this and is making inroads in various other areas, at least some of which will become lifelong endeavours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom