Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 6: January 2014 - September 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Duke of Cambridge has shared the experiences of losing his mother, Diana, Princess of Wales, while comforting a family who had recently experienced loss.

During a visit to Keech Hospice Care in Luton, William sympathetically rested his hand on the shoulder of Ben Hines, 14, who lost his own mother Alexandra in June 2015 at the age of 40.

Recalling dealing with his bereavement on the eve of the 19th anniversary of Diana's death, William advised Ben and his family to stick together through their grief.

The teenager, who was the youngest of the three brothers that met the royal couple and who suffers from autism, explained to the Duke how he was struggling with the loss.

William said: "As four boys, you have to talk a lot better - we're not good sharers. It's a classic example of lots of talking needed."

Ben then told of some treasured memories of his mother before she died, before saying "I miss her so much".

Resting his hand on the boy's shoulder, William said: "Time makes it easier.

"I know how you feel, I still miss my mother every day and it's 20 years after she died.

"The important thing is to talk about it as a family, it's okay to feel sad, it's okay for you to miss her."
Read more: Duke of Cambridge recalls loss of mother during hospice visit

Love this :wub:

During the visit to the Keech Hospice, the Duchess of Cambridge made her own emotional connection with the bereaved when she gave a hug to a six-year-old boy who lost his eldest brother two years ago. “I love cuddles,” she said.

It came after she and William were given “memory jars” – bottles full of coloured sand, which are used as a tool by the hospice pre-and post-bereavement to help patients and their families.

The jars were presented by Jamie Coniam, 10, and his brother Ethan, six, from Flitwick, Bedfordshire, whose brother Kieran died at the hospice aged 10 in October 2014. He had been born with cerebral palsy, epilepsy and autism, and suffered with health problems all his life.

The boys’ mother Fiona, 40, a palliative care nurse, said: “Ethan said, ‘Excuse me Kate, can I have hug?’ She said, ‘Yes of course – I love cuddles.’ Then she asked Jamie if he would like a hug as well.”

Jamie said: “My little brother asked for a hug, and I got one out of the blue.”

Last edited:
Meh..the red color is great but the rest...just don't like that seaming...the dress looks cheap.

LaRae

The Duke of Cambridge has offered a glimpse of the emotional impact of his work as an air ambulance pilot.

William visited the Young Minds youth mental health charity with the Duchess and asked for "an easy one" when told they would be listening in to real calls to its helpline from concerned parents.

He told the volunteers at their London headquarters: "I'm carrying a lot of things at the moment. I'll be in floods of tears at the end otherwise.

"I've had too many sad families with the air ambulance so I can't have any more stuff. Something on the lower level if I can."
Read more: Prince William fears he will be 'in floods of tears' on charity visit*as he reveals emotional impact of working as air ambulance pilot

An air ambulance isn't called for a minor injury so the patients are going to be severely in trouble. With his previous job with the RAF, there were some positive flights where people were found and saved. It is all going to quite emotional after a while. Lest not forget he is approaching the anniversary of his mum's death in a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Air ambulance is certainly not a job I could do. You see things you can't 'un-see'

One of William's first call outs was a suicide. I can't even imagine.

Not a lot of people with big public profiles would be willing to share such personal things with complete strangers. William and his wife are truly two in a millionaire n. They care, they want to help and they're not afraid to leave pieces of themselves with those that are in need of kindness and compassion.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge paid a very special visit to the YoungMinds Parents Helpline headquarters today as part of their Heads Together campaign.

Greeted by sunny weather and warm welcomes, Their Royal Highnesses got to witness first-hand the hard work and dedication that goes into running the Parents Helpline.

After friendly chats with staff and volunteers at YoungMinds, The Duke and Duchess received a helpline short course in becoming a volunteer. This taster session provided them with an in depth understanding of the caller’s experience upon contacting the helpline.

As the morning progressed, Their Royal Highnesses observed some of the calls the helpline received and experienced a typical debriefing session to round off the day. All the while, volunteers were able to talk with the Duke and Duchess about their experiences and motivation for joining the Parents Helpline.
Read more: The Royals Visit the YoungMinds Parent Helpline

Cornwall itinerary

Their first stop-off will be at Truro Cathedral, where they will sign a slate to support the cathedral's appeal to raise funds for roof repairs.

Their Royal Highnesses are also due to visit representatives from organisations that work with young people across Cornwall to improve their prospects and build their confidence levels.

One of those is the Wave Project, based at Newquay's Towan Beach, which uses surfing to help reduce anxiety in children and improve their mental wellbeing.

The Royal couple will also visit a popular tourist attraction near Truro – but the details of that one are being kept under wraps until the day.

Next Friday they will spend a day on the Isles of Scilly, visiting the three islands of St Mary's, Tresco and St Martin's.

Over both days, the Duke and Duchess will set to stop off at a number of initiatives run by the Duchy of Cornwall - the private estate established in 1337, that funds the public, charitable and private activities of The Prince of Wales.
​Prince William and Kate to visit Truro Cathedral, Newquay's Wave Project and three Isles of Scilly | West Briton

I wonder if Harry opening up about the loss of his mother and how he wished he had done so earlier has prompted / helped William to do the same.

For whatever reason, good on William sharing his own loss as a then teenager to help a present day one cope with their own grief.

Prince William and Princess Kate are starting a conversation about mental health – and in so doing, they're opening up in ways royals of previous generations never have.

Speaking out with increasing regularity about the stresses they share with other parents, they are taking on long-standing taboos about seeking help.

"Traditionally, royalty has had a stiff upper lip. But these two – and Prince Harry – are anything but traditional. William has often gone out on a limb," says longtime royals author Ingrid Seward, editor-in-chief of Majesty magazine. "He is following Diana – and that is further proof of her legacy."
Read more: Prince William and Kate Middleton Fight 'Mental Health Taboos : People.com

I do think that the ability to be openly candid about things they've experienced and had to deal with is a very positive aspect for William, Kate and Harry especially with dealing with mental issues in their various shapes and forms with their causes.

It definitely is more meaningful when talking to someone that is relating the challenges they've had to face to know that someone else out there can say "me too" and share with them on the same level. It signifies too that these kind of issues can happen to anyone from any walk of life.

Not a lot of people with big public profiles would be willing to share such personal things with complete strangers. William and his wife are truly two in a millionaire n. They care, they want to help and they're not afraid to leave pieces of themselves with those that are in need of kindness and compassion.

I do think that the ability to be openly candid about things they've experienced and had to deal with is a very positive aspect for William, Kate and Harry especially with dealing with mental issues in their various shapes and forms with their causes.
It definitely is more meaningful when talking to someone that is relating the challenges they've had to face to know that someone else out there can say "me too" and share with them on the same level. It signifies too that these kind of issues can happen to anyone from any walk of life.
Well said Daria. Couldn't have said it better myself. But one thing I wish I could say to His Royal Highness bless his heart. Don't worry about crying in public. Don't change. You wear your heart on your sleeve, and leave big pieces with people.I love you for it. Wouldn't want you any other way If you weren't emotional, I'd think something was wrong. You are truly one in a million, and I have to stop myself there. But I hate reading comments in the DM that say wimp and disinterested in people when I know it to be so far from the truth. But Thank God, you don't let it stop you. You know Daria sadly you're right I only know of one other person currently in public life who even comes close to Will and Kate. Stopping myself again. God bless them both for all they do.
Osipi- Thank God I have both parents, but you're right if I had, I would think knowing that I shared the experience with someone like William would be a comfort.

Last edited:
Well said Daria. Couldn't have said it better myself. But one thing I wish I could say to His Royal Highness bless his heart. Don't worry about crying in public. Don't change. You wear your heart on your sleeve, and leave big pieces with people.I love you for it. Wouldn't want you any other way If you weren't emotional, I'd think something was wrong. You are truly one in a million, and I have to stop myself there. But I hate reading comments in the DM that say wimp and disinterested in people when I know it to be so far from the truth. But Thank God, you don't let it stop you. You know Daria sadly you're right I only know of one other person currently in public life who even comes close to Will and Kate. Stopping myself again. God bless them both for all they do.

Osipi- Thank God I have both parents, but you're right if I had, I would think knowing that I shared the experience with someone like William would be a comfort.

Anyone who calls another person 'a whimp' for sharing something personal and for looking human is a low-life. It's why I don't read comments on the DM site. Like you, I love how open William is. He knows when it's appropriate to kick royal protocol to the curb. I think it's a big reason why so many people respect, love and admire him. I don't respect, love and admire him for being a royal, but for being the person that he is and for how he conducts himself around others. He supports a charity that deals with children trying to overcome and accept loss. I don't know anyone that would be able to go to their events and not break into tears. Heck, I've never lost a parent, but I would be in tears after hearing just one family's story. I don't think anyone could make William stop being g exactly how he is and like you, I couldn't be happier about that. He's one amazing human being.

Anyone who calls another person 'a whimp' for sharing something personal and for looking human is a low-life. It's why I don't read comments on the DM site. Like you, I love how open William is. He knows when it's appropriate to kick royal protocol to the curb. I think it's a big reason why so many people respect, love and admire him. I don't respect, love and admire him for being a royal, but for being the person that he is and for how he conducts himself around others. He supports a charity that deals with children trying to overcome and accept loss. I don't know anyone that would be able to go to their events and not break into tears. Heck, I've never lost a parent, but I would be in tears after hearing just one family's story. I don't think anyone could make William stop being g exactly how he is and like you, I couldn't be happier about that. He's one amazing human being.

Exactly the same here, for exactly the same reasons.because well, you know let's just say it's William.;) I too admire how he kicks protocol to the curb because I think otherwise a lot of people would be a lot worse off. And I don't know how else to say it but Iv'e never admired him solely for being Royal.And stop myself there. And speaking of stopping myself, did I say anything that I shouldn't have in my last post - because I thought about editing my post. I had one thought that was all right to be made public- one shouldn't be shared. And it took a while to remember what could be shared. But I checked and everything looked fine- not hitting the edit button!
And I'd like to see those low life's go volunteer at such a place. And lead a public life. I'm impressed William showed up. So admire him. Stop myself there. Maybe you've got the right idea not reading comments !
Y'know Siegfried volunteered at a similar place...

Interestingly their recent visit to the teen crisis helpline was meant to stay private until after it was over.... some say to prevent an influx of calls trying to get through to W&K, others say because their PR people were going to make their own film of the visit, nudging out the usual media.

We’re Just Like You: Kate And William’s Middle Class Masterclass - The Daily Beast

Either way royal PR staff making their own videos of the visit seems a new approach

New in the age of social media. It's only recently royals have the technology to make their own videos.

We saw it with the Queen and Prince Harry, we saw it with Catherine visiting the 1851 Trust.

Social media is used by Presidents and Popes, King and Queens. It's here to stay.

What I find is an absolute asset is that with putting things out there with their own PR staff or even making their own videos and taking their own photographs is that it goes directly to the public without the middle man of the media being able to put their own "slant" on things. Especially these days with the tabloid reporters constantly dreaming up innuendos and putting words and actions into things that just aren't there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom