Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 6: January 2014 - September 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Richard has been one of the biggest disappoinments. He used to be so reliable and I used to take his critique seriously as he came across as unbiased. That has changed over the passed few years.

He himself said they were told the hanger where the event was didnt have enough space to house the media. This was a very important day for RAF members & their families, thus they were rightly given priority to space.

Dont get me wrong, the KP press office needs to work on their media relations but the media for some weird reason choose to make noise on restrictions that seem to make sense and keep quite on the other times when they are justified to complain

It was an end of an important era for the RAF, the people who worked there deserved the space, not the media
Plus, whining is rarely attractive OR effective.

:previous:

one of the reasons is that if he is in uniform then he would be treated as an officer (and his rank); in a suit, that wouldn't apply. So a potentially more relaxed environment.

He wasn't there in a military capacity. Protocol dictates the wearing of a uniform, not the individual.

William wore a uniform when presenting service medals to personnel serving in Africa

He still is, just not active service. Like other senior royals, he holds a rank in several armed forces. He also holds ranks in the navy and is a regular commissioned member of the blues and royals.

He was promoted last month from flight lieutenant to squadron leader in the RAF so I find it even odder he wouldn't be wearing an uniform.

Its the first thing i thought when i saw the pictures of him sitting in the front row in a normal suit with all others in uniform. Normally royals wear the uniform at these type of engagements if they have a role in the military

I wonder if he perhaps doesn't have the uniform for his new rank?

I wonder if he perhaps doesn't have the uniform for his new rank?

I think often they wear uniforms when they are performing official duties for the unit or the Kingdom (new colors, inspection, awarding medals) but civvies when there for other reasons. I'm sure there is some sort of rule about this. Anyone?

Video:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have marked the end of the Royal Air Force’s ‘Search and Rescue’ helicopter service by attending a disbandment parade at RAF Valley in north Wales today. The royal couple – who lived in Anglesey when William was stationed at the base in 2010 – was later reunited with some of the pilots William worked with during his three years as a search and rescue pilot.

Home - ITNSource News

Wing Commander “Sparky” Dunlop remembering the royal guest’s days at the controls of the Sea King , he said: “He was a good pilot. In our work, there is no room for hangers-on, and he earned his wings just like everyone else.

“He did bring a spotlight on us, but that was a good thing.

“Hopefully, it brought a spotlight on the work we do.

“The Prince is a part of our family and hopefully he will always be part of that family.”

Some of those present had served with the Prince at RAF Valley, including Flight Sergeant Rob Linfoot.

“He’s absolutely brilliant,” he said of the Prince.

“You can’t dislike him. He really expected a lot of himself and he strived to be better than anyone else.

“He coped brilliantly with all he had been through in the press and he was a brilliant pilot.”

Flt Sgt Linfoot flew between 20 and 30 sorties with the the Prince and praised his ability to stay cool under pressure.

“It was evident from the outset he was a cool, calm and collected guy,” he said.

“He would even come to the back of the helicopter and give us a hand.”

Another with direct experience of Prince William was Flt Lt Rob Hughes, who was at RAF Shawbury when he was completing his flight training.

“He was always a very good pilot,” he said.

“He’s a very impressive man, especially the way he conducts himself, and is able to understand so many things so quickly.”
Read more: Prince William hailed as 'part of the family' at RAF Valley as he and Kate bid farewell to search and rescue - Daily Post

William Teased About New Job By Ex-Work Pals
Prince William has been teased about his new job by former search and rescue colleagues during a visit to north Wales.

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge flew into RAF Valley to attend a disbandment parade marking the end of the RAF search and rescue force.

The service has been privatised and is run by Bristow Helicopters on behalf of the coastguard.

William joked with former colleague Master Aircrew Rik Maving, who said after their meeting: "I did ask about his new job and he said 'it's different'. His helicopter will go when the weather's okay.

"Ours only went when it was bad, because people were only in trouble when it was bad weather."

He added: "It was nice to see him again. He hasn't changed much, apart from he's lost a bit more hair."

He added: "It was nice to see him again. He hasn't changed much, apart from he's lost a bit more hair."

I admit that made me smile :lol:

I also liked the part that they bought him dish towels and tea cups with their faces on it. :ROFLMAO: I guess no matter how far up the royal chain you are, when you do that kind of work you get teased just like one of the boys.

I admit that made me smile :lol:

I also liked the part that they bought him dish towels and tea cups with their faces on it. :ROFLMAO: I guess no matter how far up the royal chain you are, when you do that kind of work you get teased just like one of the boys.
Haha, yeah. And I bet that's part of the charm for William.

One thing that popped into my mind when reading Palmer's rants on Twitter about that lack of space for a gaggle of reporters in the hangar at RAF Valley in Anglesey is that Palmer had one person in mind. Himself. There was some coverage but I can understand why it was kept to a minimum. Although it was a royal engagement for W&K, it was also a very personal event. It was far more important for William to return there as alumni of the SAR crew than as a royal prince.

What really reinforced my opinion of Palmer's whine (someone should buy the man some cheese to go with it) is that he also brought up the limiting of press at a mosque. Does this man not think? A mosque is a very holy place to its worshipers and there are areas in a mosque that even women are not allowed. Its just the way things are.

Royal Air Force ‏@RoyalAirForce
The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge have attended a parade marking the disbandment of the UK RAF Search & Rescue Force

RAF Search and Rescue Force Disbandment Parade
Thousands of people owe their lives to this unique unit whose iconic, but ageing, yellow Sea King helicopters have plucked injured fishermen from raging seas, winched climbers from treacherous cliffs, and airlifted flood victims from the rooftops of their homes.

Among those paying tribute to the Force’s achievements, at RAF Valley in Anglesey, were the Royal couple who were based in Wales for three years while The Duke of Cambridge served as a SAR pilot and aircraft Captain, completing 156 missions that assisted 149 people.
The RAF says William completed 156 missions and assisted 149 people

Richard has been one of the biggest disappoinments. He used to be so reliable and I used to take his critique seriously as he came across as unbiased. That has changed over the passed few years.

He himself said they were told the hanger where the event was didnt have enough space to house the media. This was a very important day for RAF members & their families, thus they were rightly given priority to space.

Dont get me wrong, the KP press office needs to work on their media relations but the media for some weird reason choose to make noise on restrictions that seem to make sense and keep quite on the other times when they are justified to complain

It was an end of an important era for the RAF, the people who worked there deserved the space, not the media

Beautifully said and dead on too. This was all about SAR, what they've accomplished over those 75 years and those in the SAR Family celebrating it. It must have so bittersweet for them all today as well though.

One thing that popped into my mind when reading Palmer's rants on Twitter about that lack of space for a gaggle of reporters in the hangar at RAF Valley in Anglesey is that Palmer had one person in mind. Himself. There was some coverage but I can understand why it was kept to a minimum. Although it was a royal engagement for W&K, it was also a very personal event. It was far more important for William to return there as alumni of the SAR crew than as a royal prince.

What really reinforced my opinion of Palmer's whine (someone should buy the man some cheese to go with it) is that he also brought up the limiting of press at a mosque. Does this man not think? A mosque is a very holy place to its worshipers and there are areas in a mosque that even women are not allowed. Its just the way things are.

I saw those too and...*just shakes head in disbelief*

Royal Air Force ‏@RoyalAirForce
The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge have attended a parade marking the disbandment of the UK RAF Search & Rescue Force

RAF Search and Rescue Force Disbandment Parade
The RAF says William completed 156 missions and assisted 149 people

Pretty impressive. Especially considering what the conditions in that area can be like. We have a good neighbour and friend who was born and raised there, and the tales she's told about some of the mischief she and her friends got into... She always says, "Typical stupid kids who think they're invincible would be the only ones thinking it a good idea to do such and such in driving rain and high winds in November..." :D

It sounds like everyone had a great time getting together again and swapping stories. Wonder how many times smart phones were taken out or wallets or purses opened to show off Baby/Family Pictures to William and/or Kate today? :D. As I said, it sounds as if it really was a great day, but also bittersweet in so many ways too.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

I kind of don't get why they're complaining though. It would be one thing if the photographers there get an exclusive. But isn't all pictures shared with the PA in the case of few reporters? And they allow some local papers to report instead which sounds like supporting local news sources.

I don't it either, but I have the feeling that it all started when KP sent out those "warning" letters... I think also that the first "signs" began around George's birth...

THE DUKE and Duchess of Cambridge have helped bring about a “landmark moment” in mental health treatment, according to the head of charity Mind

Paul Farmer said the royals’ role in promoting greater awareness and understanding is a crucial part of a new, positive approach to the conditions that blight one in four Britons.

He also praised the Sunday Express for its campaign to bring mental health into the open.

The Duchess last week called for the “taboo” of mental health to be broken and for fresh help to be delivered to an “entire generation of children”. Her intervention came as an NHS Taskforce on mental health delivered landmark recommendations, promising to hold the government to account if they were not met.

The Duchess and Prince William have a “hugely impressive” commitment to mental health, said Mr Farmer, chief executive of Mind and leader of the Taskforce.

“They have a real interest and a commendable long term commitment to mental health,” he added.
Read more: Duchess of Cambridge helps raise awareness for mental health | Royal | News | Daily Express

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal
On Friday 11 March The Duke and Duchess will visit @XLMentoring, part of @xlplondon, which supports young people facing emotional challenges

Richard Palmer ‏@RoyalReporter 2h2 hours ago
William and Kate visited an XLP project at Gypsy Hill in south London in 2015. Mentors help young people aged 11-18 at risk of trouble.

Prince William and The Duchess of Cambridge have praised the work of a Somerset children and family hub.

The Royals have sent a letter to the director of the Crewkerne-based Octopus community hub.

Director Linda Nash-Hamblin said: "I had a letter from Kensington Palace from Prince William and Kate, which was quite a shock.

"It was in regard to some information I sent them about my setting things up for the family hub and renovation of the building etc and what I intended. I also asked for advice on whether I could be sponsored by the Princes Trust.

"I think what came back tells me I am well on radar for the future and now in a position where developement and growth may get recognition along the way as we are very much on the side of giving to children's charities as well.
Read more: Royal Approval For Family Hub | Local News | News | The Breeze | North Dorset

The Duke and Duchess will carry out a series of engagements on Thursday 10 March, with organisations focusing on efforts to prevent suicide

The Duke and Duchess will hear from @MrJonnyBenjamin about his near suicide experience and how a stranger's kindness saved his life

.@MrJonnyBenjamin was later reunited with Neil, the man who saved his life, with the help of @Rethink_ #FindMike campaign

.@MrJonnyBenjamin and Neil will join TRH and students at Kensington Palace to watch a special film screening about Jonny's story #FindMike

Last edited:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will meet mental health campaigner and Attitude Pride Award winner Jonny Benjamin tomorrow (March 10) as they support efforts to raise awareness of mental health and suicide in young men.

Will and Kate are set to meet Jonny – who made headlines around the world in 2014 after orchestrating the infamous #FindMike appeal to help find the man who stopped him from throwing himself off Waterloo Bridge six years before – at St Thomas’ hospital in London, where he was sectioned following the suicide attempt.

Also in attendance will be the man who stopped Jonny from taking his own life on that fateful day – not a Mike, it transpired, but Neil Laybourn.
Read more: Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to meet Attitude Pride Award winner Jonny Benjamin | Attitude Magazine

Video:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have met Jonny Benjamin and Neil Laybourn during a visit to St Thomas' Hospital in central London this afternoon. Jonny has made a documentary film about mental health and suicide, after using social media to trace the man (Neil) who persuaded him not to jump off Waterloo Bridge in 2008-

Home - ITNSource News

Video:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have hosted a documentary screening about mental health issues and suicide at Kensington Palace this afternoon. The royal couple appeared alongside film-maker Jonny Benjamin and Neil Laybourn - the man who managed to persuade Jonny not to jump off Waterloo Bridge whilst experiencing a mental health episode in 2008. .

Home - ITNSource News

Duchess Kate Blog ‏@HRHDuchesskate 3h3 hours ago
Tommorow, The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will visit the mentoring programme of the XLP project at London Wall.

Last edited by a moderator:
CC 10/3: Events listed for W&K today included "Their Royal Highnesses later received a group of adults bereaved by suicide"

This was the 4th and final event and was obviously private.

Emotional day

angelasamata ‏@Angelasamata 7h7 hours ago
Today it really felt like those bereaved by suicide had a voice!So good to see how closely William & Kate listened to our experiences ��

angelasamata ‏@Angelasamata 8h8 hours ago
It was such an incredible meeting with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. They asked some great questions and couldn't have been nicer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom