Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 6: January 2014 - September 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Video:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge delighted waiting crowds when they found the time to stop to say hello and shake hands with members of the public during an official visit in Scotland to raise awareness about mental health issues. William and Kate were attending The Scottish Mental Health Arts and Film Festival in Dundee when they were greeted by cheering crowds outside the Dundee Rep theatre-

Home - ITNSource News

Prince William told drugs workers in Dundee how he has helped rescue the victims of legal highs in his role as an air ambulance pilot.

The Earl of Strathearn discussed the scourge of the so-called legal highs with members of the Body Matters team on a visit to The Corner.

Addiction lead youth worker Alain Saum told the Earl and Countess that she now does outreach work at all nine of the city’s high schools because the problem is so widespread.
Red more: Prince William reveals his role in saving legal highs victims on Dundee visit - Evening Telegraph

Last edited:
Video:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit Captain Scott's tall ship 'The Discovery' - which was built in Dundee and now has pride of place at Discovery Point in the heart of the city.

Home - ITNSource News

It's so nice seeing them together...their body language is wonderful between each other!

LaRae

It's so nice seeing them together...their body language is wonderful between each other!

LaRae

Me too. They're so natural with one another.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Just what is a legal high? Could one of our UK Members explain please?

Great to see them out and about again and shining a light on such important issues.

Great to see them out and about again and shining a light on such important issues.

I'm not a UK member but I would guess it's similar to the U.S.- prescription pain killers or synthetic substitutes for other substances.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Video:
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit Captain Scott's tall ship 'The Discovery' - which was built in Dundee and now has pride of place at Discovery Point in the heart of the city. .

Home - ITNSource News

Well here in NZ Legal High's are things such as synthetic cannabis, psychoactive drugs referred to as PartyPills, Herbal Highs, etc. none of which are prescription drugs.

The reason they call them legal high's is simply because they have yet to have been placed on the illegal list. Any and all can be mixed with alcohol and the results of these drugs are pretty wild. There is no control so last week's party pill could have had you partying all night and this week's could put you in ICU for the weekend.

Here they legislate against various component parts of drugs as fast as they can, but it's an uphill battle because they just seem to find another and another, etc. all of which are aimed at increasing the high that they get from just drinking booze or getting high without getting drunk. The fact they could fry their brain cells seems to escape them.

So that's why they are legal highs, because TPTB cannot keep up with the speed and variation of production and but they are trying. Only a couple of years ago legal high shops were making a killing because what they were selling was not illegal. We don't know if or when they will make a comeback.

How long before legal highs return? | Pundit

I'm not a UK member but I would guess it's similar to the U.S.- prescription pain killers or synthetic substitutes for other substances.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

This is what happens when I try to do three things at once...I have a Brain Cramp. I think it was the word legal that threw me. Thanks to those who answered. :)

Catherine is looking particularly beautiful these days (love her healthy mane of hair, really impressive) as well as relaxed in her duties. :flowers: Nice to see. Motherhood agrees with her (and fatherhood with him). Life is good methinks.

His dad (and her parents) must be very happy to see them mesh so well.

LaRae

What a great article and IMO, it amplifies just how interested and involved the Cambridges are when it comes to their passions and their charity work. You just can't paste a smile on and make small talk and get through a visit and in exchange, get these kind of reactions from the people who attend.

This is yet another testament of how sincere, and genuine William, and Catherine are. Only professional,actors could fake something like this. They may not shout about their passions from the rooftops, but when it counts, they're all in. I guess because of stories like this I'll never be convinced that this couple doesn't like to take part in these types of engagements.

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 6: January 2014

It is a good counter to the arm chair internet critics who are judging a person's character and heart from a photo and not from what people who actually interact with the person.

With W&K, It's almost always how they put people at ease and well informed they are about what they are discussing.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Last edited:
It is a good counter to the arm chair internet critics who are judging a person's character and heart from a photo and not from what people who actually interact with the person.

With W&K, It's almost always how they put people at ease and well informed they are about what they are discussing.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Exactly. However, I think that those who constantly harp on this couple will always have a reason to criticize, even with the accounts such as posted above. It's the sad reality, though I highly doubt that William and Catherine care about what their constant critics say. They operate in ways that suit them, and the Firm. They can't and won't please everybody.

OK- I got my happy tears for the day.
Now, honestly, I have never had the privilege of spending time in the company of the Duke and Duchess- or chatting to them.
But I am reminded- reading this article- of the emotions I experienced meeting another magical individual 3 weeks ago. In some cases, I'd use the same words. Just swap out Their Royal Highnesses for...;)

Mental Health Fdn @MHF_tweets
The Royal couple met us last week. Here's Chris O'Sullivan's reflections:

Last Friday, Mental Health Foundation staff had the honour of meeting their Royal Highnesses the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge as part of a Royal visit to the city of Dundee.

The Royal couple have made mental health and, in particular, the mental health of children and young people a major priority for their charitable work, and the visit to Dundee was constructed around several engagements on this.

My first reflection on this was that the media and social media narrative around the visit focused on mental health. The fact that there were several engagements with different focuses and participants gave the story legs, and an opportunity for more breadth than normal.

....The Duke and Duchess were very engaged with the subject. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but what I found were two people with influence, unlike almost anyone else on the planet, who clearly got what we were saying, asked clear and intelligent questions, and had clearly taken in and valued the the young people’s input on the day. We always strive to speak truth to power, and this is always easier when people in power so clearly demonstrate interest.

I left Dundee with a spring in my step and a smile on my face. I felt that the work we do was recognised, and that some of the people we work with felt validated and encouraged.
Read more: Our day with the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge : Changing Minds, Changing Lives

I'll put this here for now

THE Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are to hold talks with executives from social media companies to discuss how to “crack the issue” of cyberbullying.

The couple, who are on a mission to help young people who suffer bullying and mental health problems, will meet organisations including Facebook and Twitter in the new year for a “constructive dialogue” about what more can be done to protect youngsters from online harassment.

Prince William has already had informal discussions with several technology companies and is understood to be keen to explore what more he can do to help. A source said the couple were particularly concerned about what they had heard from young people about cyberbullying.
Royals to ‘crack’ cyberbully curse | The Sunday Times

Found the Times article :previous: very interesting.

As well as the information re anti-bullying, it also highlighted the behind the scenes work we never see or, generally, gets reported. Quote:

"Prince William has already had informal discussions with several technology companies and is understood to be keen to explore what more he can do to help"

The royal couple are big supporters of anti-bullying charities, and are keen to help young people suffering harassment online

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will meet with bosses from Twitter and Facebook in a bid to tackle cyberbullying.

William and Kate hope to have a 'constructive dialogue' with social media and technology companies - including Facebook and Twitter - over what more can be done to protect youngsters online, a royal aide told the Sunday Times .

It is a subject close to the royal couple's heart, as demonstrated recently during a visit to Dundee in support of anti-bullying and mental health charities.

Earlier in October the couple met young people who had suffered from mental health issues during a visit to charity MInd.

The Duke also took part in an anti-bullying workshop run by the Diana Award charity, founded in memory of his late mother.
Read more: Kate Middleton and Prince William to meet Twitter and Facebook bosses to tackle cyberbullying - Mirror Online

Brilliant to see The Cambridges using their position to help others world wide.

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
Prince William and Kate will visit North Wales on November 20th to visit organisations focused on mental health issues for young people.

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
"The Duke and Duchess, who spent a number of years living in Anglesey, are delighted to be returning to North Wales," says a royal spokesman

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
William and Kate will visit projects in Caernarfon - just across the water from their former home in Anglesey - Snowdonia and Denbigh.

Emily Nash ‏@emynash
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will also meet local people in Caernarfon's Castle Square in the morning.

Mind @MindCharity
The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge to meet local Minds in Wales for mental health awareness >
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge continue to focus global attention on mental health

We are thrilled to announce that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will visit Mind services in Wales on Friday 20 November.

Their Royal Highnesses marked World Mental Health Day with a visit to Mind in Harrow this October and now show their continued commitment to raising awareness about mental health problems. The day will include an opportunity for the Duke and Duchess to meet young people involved in art projects run by Ynys Môn and Gwynedd Mind, and men from the Vale of Clwyd Mind Men's Shed project in Denbigh.
Read more: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge continue to put a spotlight on mental health | Mind, the mental health charity - help for mental health problems

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom