Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 5: March-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is Mary Berry? Sorry for the ignorance, but I also read about brownies, is she a famous patissier?

Mary Berry is a TV chef. She's been on British TV for about 50 years and is particularly well-known for her cakes etc. She's a judge on Great British Bake Off. Here's a segment from a recent TV show about her:

The Mary Berry Story Episode 1 - pt1 - YouTube

They sometimes decide to support charities that involve very difficult and emotional situations. That isn't an easy decision to take but it's good to hear that people find it helpful and supportive.

They sometimes decide to support charities that involve very difficult and emotional situations. That isn't an easy decision to take but it's good to hear that people find it helpful and supportive.

Those articles made me weep!
The level of compassion and love while not surprising, is mind blowing! There are very few people in the world- like Kate and William- very special people- at a level that is hard to describe.

@ cepe- I 100% agree- As I said they are very special people who are blessed with skills not many other people have, and the fact that they do use those gifts to support hard causes wins them more support from me. It tells me that they do not wish to be glamorous figureheads, but to give love to people whom the rest of the world would turn away from.
Very special souls indeed!

Last edited:
The level of compassion and love while not surprising, is mind blowing! There are very few people in the world- like Kate and William- very special people- at a level that is hard to describe.

@ cepe- I 100% agree- As I said they are very special people who are blessed with skills not many other people have, and the fact that they do use those gifts to support hard causes wins them more support from me. It tells me that they do not wish to be glamorous figureheads, but to give love to people whom the rest of the world would turn away from.

Seriously Roseroyal?? I have worked in the charity business for many years, let me tell you, you seriously underestimate the average folk out there who even put their lives on the line for the care of others. There are so many amazing, loving, selfless contributors out there who do not get the publicity, recognition or even thanks, and they love, give tirelessly and selflessly day in day out! Let me also add that they put in a hell of a lot more hours than this couple do. The amazing thing about this couple is their titles, which millions of volunteers do not have.

It is good the RF do this work but not amazing.

Seriously Roseroyal?? I have worked in the charity business for many years, let me tell you, you seriously underestimate the average folk out there who even put their lives on the line for the care of others. There are so many amazing, loving, selfless contributors out there who do not get the publicity, recognition or even thanks, and they love, give tirelessly and selflessly day in day out! Let me also add that they put in a hell of a lot more hours than this couple do. The amazing thing about this couple is their titles, which millions of volunteers do not have.

I would disagree with you - it is amazing that anyone does this work, be they royal or otherwise. Being royal does not negate the work that they do, just as not being royal does not somehow add to the importance of the work that volunteers do.

I would disagree with you - it is amazing that anyone does this work, be they royal or otherwise. Being royal does not negate the work that they do, just as not being royal does not somehow add to the importance of the work that volunteers do.

Not negating their work Ish, am reacting to, what appears to me, as a distorted view of their contribution.

Not negating their work Ish, am reacting to, what appears to me, as a distorted view of their contribution.

Ah, yes. Their contribution is, by and large in comparison to those who devote large parts of their lives to a single cause, not at all that amazing. If they were to do similar, however, they would fall out of their role as members of the monarchy. As it is now, it's amazing that they take what time they can to be involved - especially in causes such as this which are close to their hearts.

That said, you did make a really valid point - the people who are truly awe inspiring are the ones who go unnoticed in cases like this. Although, I do think that the royals attempt to at least shed a bit of light on the various causes, and the people affected by and supporting them.

I think it's amazing when anyone takes the time to give back - be they royal or just a regular person on the street.

And I'm sure the charities appreciate the support, money and attention that William, Kate or any royal brings to their cause. Every little bit helps.

Ah, yes. Their contribution is, by and large in comparison to those who devote large parts of their lives to a single cause, not at all that amazing. If they were to do similar, however, they would fall out of their role as members of the monarchy. As it is now, it's amazing that they take what time they can to be involved - especially in causes such as this which are close to their hearts.

That said, you did make a really valid point - the people who are truly awe inspiring are the ones who go unnoticed in cases like this. Although, I do think that the royals attempt to at least shed a bit of light on the various causes, and the people affected by and supporting them.

Thanks Ish, you understand and we agree. I will only comment on the bold part where I think that this too is good but not amazing as they are earning an income for it whereas volunteers do not. :flowers:

Thanks Ish, you understand and we agree. I will only comment on the bold part where I think that this too is good but not amazing as they are earning an income for it whereas volunteers do not. :flowers:

Some volunteers do get paid, it just depends on the charity and their position within it.

As to whether or not all royals get paid for duties, do they? As per the official royal website, only the Queen and the DoE receive an annual parliamentary allowance for royal duties, and it implies that this money is simply to enable them to carry out duties, not in payment for them. Other royals have their costs covered by the Queen - which is like your grandmother paying for your gas so you can pick up groceries for her (but on a much grander scale). You're not being paid by an independent source for doing the grocery shopping, Granny's just giving you some of her money to do it.

Some volunteers do get paid, it just depends on the charity and their position within it.

As to whether or not all royals get paid for duties, do they? As per the official royal website, only the Queen and the DoE receive an annual parliamentary allowance for royal duties, and it implies that this money is simply to enable them to carry out duties, not in payment for them. Other royals have their costs covered by the Queen - which is like your grandmother paying for your gas so you can pick up groceries for her (but on a much grander scale). You're not being paid by an independent source for doing the grocery shopping, Granny's just giving you some of her money to do it.

Ish, a "volunteer" does not get paid. :flowers: But I think you mean to state that some people are PAID by the charities and that is correct.

As to whether royals get paid for their duties, no they don't get paid, but I don't think it's a question that they benefit from the public purse and from the public's recognition of them as royals. They owe something back to the public, and what they owe back is up to their "subjects" or taxpayers, or whatever, to decide.

I won't belabor that point, however.

Volunteers do not get paid here, charity workers do but at lower wages than the market equivalent.

Getting an income for "duties" means you are being paid, that means you are a paid worker versus the unpaid volunteers. Where does the Queen's money come from? Where does her estate come from? Does it even matter? K&W are being paid for their appearances n are not to be elevated above those who are doing the backbreaking, heart wrenching work in the background and most of these people cannot afford ANY holidays.

Like I said, it is all about putting things in perspective. They are doing good but their work is not amazing.

I guess it depends on how you define the word Paid. To me Paid means personal income to use as I wish when I wish. Money from the former civil list and now the crown estate is not personal income. It is more akin to being given a budget to run your department in a business...staff, postage, etc, not for a shopping trip or a new car.

Is it me, or did the Duke and Duchess not look fabulous today? They really put a lot of thought into this visit, methinks.
I have to agree that the pair were a great team today. I think it was one of their best joint visits to date and I don't think it would be an easy one. Now that they're expecting their own child they're going to discover how strong the child-parent bond can be and how devastating it would be to lose one.

Not really of fan of Kate's outfit today, I think she needs a longer hemline.

I guess it depends on how you define the word Paid. To me Paid means personal income to use as I wish when I wish. Money from the former civil list and now the crown estate is not personal income. It is more akin to being given a budget to run your department in a business...staff, postage, etc, not for a shopping trip or a new car.
I have to agree regarding the royal finances. Their secretarial staff and assistants would have been funded by the Civil List in the past, but now I understand the only recipients are HM and the DoE.

Picture of Catherine I the sun from yesterday's event looks heavily photoshopped, she looks like she's carrying twins at 9 months. They attention to this bump is hilarious!

I looked forward to this event, because I love to see Kate and Wills interact with kids, and as always, was not disappointed! Kate and Wills are treasures, and the pics are priceless gems!
Lovely mention of Diana as well.....

You and me both! These two know how to connect to others, and are quite fabulous with children, so it's a pleasure to watch them in action.

I read these last night, when I got home, and teared up just a little. Very touching stories, and I'm glad to see that the families are getting the support that they need.

Very true. I applaud them for their wish to make a real difference, and not stick with things that are more glamorous.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. These two are dynamite, and I'm glad that this charity (and many others) have them as patrons. They care, they're passionate about the causes, and most importantly, they get down on the level of the people, and listen with their hearts. Yes, this is their job, but it's pretty obvious that they want to be there. I loved the pictures of William and Catherine working with three children (siblings, I believe) on an art project. They were genuinely interested in the kids, what they had to say, and what they were doing. I can't even begin to imagine what a treat this was for the children who lost a loved one. It gave them a reason to smile, and trust me, there's nothing more precious and rewarding than seeing a child who is unhappy, light up with joy even for a few seconds. And not for the first time, I got a picture of this couple working with my group of kids, and giving a few of them a reason to smile and feel good about themselves. There are a few who could use encouragement from people other than their teachers.

What a great picture. The little girl looks like she just won the lottery.

I have to agree regarding the royal finances. Their secretarial staff and assistants would have been funded by the Civil List in the past, but now I understand the only recipients are HM and the DoE.

No one is funded by the civil list anymore, it no longer exists. HM and the Dof E are funded through the Crown Estate. The PoW and his family are funded through the Duchy of Cornwall. The point I was making is that any funds HM passes along to the rest of the family is to cover the personnel and operational expenses of their royal duties, it is not a salary to do with as they please like buying a new Ferrari. It is essentially their operational budget for the year.

@ African Aussie- That came out wrong. What I meant was that while there are many selfless average folk out there in the world, who are selfless behind the scenes as you say, there are very few public figures in the world today with the gifts with people that William and Catherine have.
And if not amazing, they are at the very least unique and special.

Some pics from yesterday-
Prince William Photos - Child Bereavement UK Receives Royal Visit - Zimbio

http://www.zimbio.com/photos/Prince...reavement+UK+Receives+Royal+Visit/KkMmSVdHYTV

I agree with you wholeheartedly. These two are dynamite, and I'm glad that this charity (and many others) have them as patrons. They care, they're passionate about the causes, and most importantly, they get down on the level of the people, and listen with their hearts. Yes, this is their job, but it's pretty obvious that they want to be there. I loved the pictures of William and Catherine working with three children (siblings, I believe) on an art project. They were genuinely interested in the kids, what they had to say, and what they were doing. I can't even begin to imagine what a treat this was for the children who lost a loved one. It gave them a reason to smile, and trust me, there's nothing more precious and rewarding than seeing a child who is unhappy, light up with joy even for a few seconds. And not for the first time, I got a picture of this couple working with my group of kids, and giving a few of them a reason to smile and feel good about themselves. There are a few who could use encouragement from people other than their teachers.

My favorites! Who had the better time- the kids or William- down on his knees on the floor in suit and tie! What a guy!:D

What a great picture. The little girl looks like she just won the lottery.
Meeting Kate and William would be better than winning the lotto!

Meeting Kate and William would be better than winning the lotto!

Y'know, that is very true. I think I'd prefer to meet them rather than win a lotto (the memories and pictures from such a meeting would last a lifetime and then some). Completely agree about Wills on the floor, in his Saville Row suit, and tie, and playing with bubble wrap :D. Seriously, send this man over to my room, and he'll have the kids wrapped around his little finger, and vice versa. I'd also love to have his and Catherine's social skills.

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal #royal #Kate #William The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge to visit Glasgow, Dumfries House and Barrow-in-Furness (St James') 4/5th April

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal #royal #Kate #William The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are known as the Earl and Countess of Strathearn while in Scotland

Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror On April 5 Kate and William will join Prince Charles to open the new Tamar Manoukian Outdoor Centre at Dumfries House.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom