Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 5: March-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really rude to not show up at a wedding, barring illness or someone's death. Had the event the Queen cancelled been of major import, then someone in the family should have filled in her place, and she has plenty of family around to do it besides the three attending the wedding.

http://www.newstalk.ie/Calls-for-formal-Irish-invitation-to-Duke-and-Duchess-of-Cambridge

I couldn't find the post, but I think this is the article the poster was referring to. I can't remember if its already been talked about in current events so I'm sorry if its a repeat, but I wanted to know what your opinions were. I hope this is the right thread.

Sounds like a fantastic idea. However it took how long for The Queen to go over? It needs to be thought through properly but it would be hugely popular I think. They went over for pancake day in 2011 maybe or last year I forget, but it was almost a last minute thing.

I think it'd be a great idea, but then I am ready for them to start taking on more...important?(not the right word) engagements. I'm not critiquing what they do now, it would just be interesting for them to move into greater roles considering they will be King and Queen one day.

I hope that makes since...

Do we know when the Duke & Duchess will return to the UK?

The coat looked like a blush color to me as well.

I think she is turned out very nicely. I did notice she's got quite a heel on, thought she might be lowering them at this point.

LaRae

Is it possible that the Cambridges and Harry weren't even informed about the Queen's illness?

Is it possible that the Cambridges and Harry weren't even informed about the Queen's illness?

Possibly. When The Queen cancelled the three were already out there.

The fashion-related discussion has been moved to the appropriate thread in the Royal House of Fashion.

New engagement

Clarence House@ClarenceHouse
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will visit the 1st Battalion Irish Guards at the St. Patrick’s Day Parade at Mons Barracks, 17th March

Very good to hear Their Royal Highnesses will be present for the Irish Guards St. Patrick's Day Parade. I do miss their engagements together.

Very good to hear Their Royal Highnesses will be present for the Irish Guards St. Patrick's Day Parade. I do miss their engagements together.

Where did you hear that?

I was expecting the announcement of this engagement for a while. I was sure they would be attending it.

It'll be nice to see them in an official engagement again.

Nice to see them in a engagement together! But I'm more happy that Catherine keeps the tradition of giving shamrocks to the Irish Guards on St. Patrick's Day.

New engagement

Clarence House@ClarenceHouse
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will visit the 1st Battalion Irish Guards at the St. Patrick’s Day Parade at Mons Barracks, 17th March

I read that this would be a possible event for the couple and I am glad to hear now that its has been confirmed. It will be nice to see the couple again at an official event. Kate looked great last year!

Glad to see that they'll be stepping out together to do an engagement. Looking forward to seeing pictures and videos.

the money shot will be Kate giving William his sprig of shamrocks

Parade visit for Duke and Duchess of Cambridge:
Parade visit for Duke and Duchess of Cambridge - News - gethampshire

This article is saying that William will also receive a sprig of shamrock from Catherine.

But isn't William the regiment's Colonel? Shouldn't he be doing the presenting?:ermm:

"It will be the Duke's first official public engagement after completing his training last year, and he too will receive a sprig of shamrock from the Duchess."

He went for training?:ermm:

Last edited:
IIRC it a female member of the Royal Family presenting shamrocks to the Irish Guards - beginning with Alexandra - I know QEQM did it for years and then Anne picked up after.

Irish Guards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
from wikipedia:
Except in wartime, the presentation is traditionally made by a member of the Royal Family. This task was first performed in 1901 by HM Queen Alexandra and later by HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother. Since the latter's death, the presentation has been made by HRH The Princess Royal. On the regiment's 50th anniversary in 1950, King George VI made the presentation in person.

But isn't William the regiment's Colonel? Should he be doing the presenting?:ermm:

"It will be the Duke's first official public engagement after completing his training last year, and he too will receive a sprig of shamrock from the Duchess."

He went for training?:ermm:

My local paper and they get things wrong! I think they mean that its his first official regimental engagement since he returned from the Falklands last year (ie he missed 17th March parade cos he was away)

Wasn"t the Falklands trip part of his training?

Wasn"t the Falklands trip part of his training?

That was for the RAF. The Irish Guards is an appointed position so no training involved. It's like how in the US you don't have to train to be Commander-in-Chief you just are. I think I had read that passing out the shamrocks was traditionally down by female members of the royal family, but I'm not sure.

It might just be that he is considered on of the troops as their honorary colonel and so Kate will give him one as well? If its true...maybe they will do it together.

IIRC it a female member of the Royal Family presenting shamrocks to the Irish Guards - beginning with Alexandra - I know QEQM did it for years and then Anne picked up after.

Irish Guards - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
from wikipedia:
Except in wartime, the presentation is traditionally made by a member of the Royal Family. This task was first performed in 1901 by HM Queen Alexandra and later by HM Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother. Since the latter's death, the presentation has been made by HRH The Princess Royal. On the regiment's 50th anniversary in 1950, King George VI made the presentation in person.

Thanks:flowers: I guess it is primarily a female british royal family member's job except for special occasions in which the monarch will take over.

I was looking through the list of honorary colonels in that same wiki page and discover that William is the first royal from BRF to hold this role. So this is really a 'first time' whereby a BRF member will be presenting to another BRF member. I wonder if William will be part of the marching:D

@RE_DailyMail: The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will do a joint engagement together on Tues next week, visiting the Child Bereavement UK charity offices

@RoyalReporter: Another engagement for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. They'll visit the offices of Child Bereavement UK in Saunderton,Bucks, on March 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom