The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 07:14 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
...I have no problem with contrary opinions on TRF. What is disappointing, is this recent surge in sarcastic, eye-rolling judging of others. You don't like these royals or monarchy in general, that's fair enough. But, please then don't belittle and deride those of us who do.
Please point out to me where I have derided or belittled any of you who happen to like Will and Kate. Please. And if I have, you might want to balance it out with the commentary hurled at me today with people who simply disagree with my views.

I do like the royals and monarchy and general. This is why I comment on Will, and to a lesser extent, Kate. I don't think he does much for the image of the monarchy. Now you may disagree, but I think perhaps people should hesitate before an entire day is spent making this thread about me. P.S. I'm not the one who make it about me. By the way, I kind of like Kate. It's not beyond me to make a comment about her that's eyebrow raising, but I don't dislike her and find much of the Daily Mail commentary about her to be unfair (as well as the commentary about her family - the public for the most part has no business in going down that road). Will is another story in my mind, but that's for another day. No, I don't care for him, for a variety of reasons.
Please point out to me where my commentary on Will or Kate is anything but commentary on their contributions, or lack thereof, to the BRF. You might not agree with me, but I challenge you to find anything which is an attack unfitting of adult discourse; an attack on their looks, an attack on their dress (I've defended Kate's dress many times), an attack on gender, or anything else that is not directed at their attitude towards their roles in the BRF. You might not agree with my commentary, but I thought that the purpose here was to discuss the royals, not some sort of mutual lovefest about them, that ignores the bad. If one supports the monarchy, one cannot ignore the bad of the moment - monarchy must always remain on its toes to remain relevant.

If you don't like what I said, I am perfectly reasonable and am willing to listen to a counter argument. Frankly, blind support of one's idols does not help in the court of public opinion. Nor does statements such like "haters" (the weakest argument of all), malicious, and I could go on. Name calling does not support one's argument.

If you notice, I never say anything bad about any of the other members of the BRF: I have much admiration for the Queen, the D of E, Charles and Camilla, Edward and Sophie. In fact, it's what I sense in Will and Kate that has me worried that all of the good work done by the Queen for 60 years might go down the drain with what I see as a lack of work ethic in these two - yes, I know Will is in the RAF full-time, but I mean a lack of work ethic in royal duties.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Frankly, blind support of one's idols does not help in the court of public opinion.
It is equally unfair to refer to approval or admiration as "blind support of one's idols". Okay, I'm out of this discussion.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I can't speak for anyone else, but I thought it was unfair to claim that William and Kate are selfish and their visit to the Child Bereavement event was "a crass publicity stunt." I also thought it was unfair to make a dig about William bringing his mother into lawsuits. He's only done that once - when Kate was photographed topless. .

It's interesting that Harry and William do the same amount of royal duties (well actually Harry does a little less), yet William is the only one that is called out for having a "lack of work ethic".
Old 03-22-2013, 07:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
It is equally unfair to refer to approval or admiration as "blind support of one's idols". Okay, I'm out of this discussion.
Taking one phrase out the the entire context of the entire post does not lend itself to the counterargument.

If the group cannot hear any criticism without spending THE ENTIRE DAY chastising one post, coupled with the most recent suggestion to "eff off" (Sister Morphine), then I think it is a blind support of an idol.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:41 PM
Heir Apparent

What this discussion has highlighted is that unless one tunes in on an on-going basis its easy to miss what the royals are doing.

Those that have followed the DDo~C for a while know that the Palace issued a statement saying that they were part time. Catherine would be based with William in Anglesey and that for the first 2 years this is how it would be. I read that and accepted it. Good grounding for Catherine, stability in the marriage (and as some of us know from experience, that is not the same thing as dating someone) and it would coincide with the decision to be made in 2013 as to what William's next career move would be.

If you didn't know any of that, then you wouldn't understand why these two pop in and out of royal duties. But that decision (rightly or wrongly) was made.

Personally I think Catherine gets it right and William is too uptight but with his background I'm not surprised. I'm not one that thinks being born royal means you have to get it right every time.

What has offended some people over the past 24 hours is that some posters didn't appreciate the whole picture and ripped into the couple; some posters don't cut either the royal couple or other posters any slack.

These two have tried to balance private with public and they dont always get it right and sometimes they are poorly advised. But they try.

Let's cut them some slack - and let's do that with each other as well.

End of sermon :)

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-22-2013, 07:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Taking one phrase out the the entire context of the entire post does not lend itself to the counterargument.

If the group cannot hear any criticism without spending THE ENTIRE DAY chastising one post, coupled with the most recent suggestion to "eff off" (Sister Morphine), then I think it is a blind support of an idol.
Don't play the martyr. You suggested earlier that William and Kate use the pain of others as part of a publicity stunt instead of recognizing that what they were doing is a pretty standard royal engagement and then made fun of William for speaking about his mother's death. You had to know people would find that incredibly distasteful.

The lesson here is to be more measured in your criticism and make it far less personal or people are going to tell you that you crossed a line.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
I can't speak for anyone else, but I thought it was unfair to claim that William and Kate are selfish and their visit to the Child Bereavement event was "a crass publicity stunt." I also thought it was unfair to make a dig about William bringing his mother into lawsuits. ...
I respect your opinion on this matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
Don't play the martyr. You suggested earlier that William and Kate use the pain of others as part of a publicity stunt instead of recognizing that what they were doing is a pretty standard royal engagement and then made fun of William for speaking about his mother's death. You had to know people would find that incredibly distasteful.

The lesson here is to be more measured in your criticism and make it far less personal or people are going to tell you that you crossed a line.
I in no way feel like I am a martyr. Pages and pages of criticism do not bother me. I am a trial attorney, and if you think this bothers me in the least, I assure you I could not do my actual job. I've had judges and opposing counsel say far, far worse to me.

I am sorry that people found my comments distasteful, but I have no problem making comments that people find distasteful - I do not make distasteful comments for the sake of making them, but for the sake of putting my comments out there for others to think about. If you reject it, it is fine, and you most certainly have rejected it. But I take no offense.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I in no way feel like I am a martyr...
As a trial attorney, you should understand that all of the evidence needs to be taken into account.
You take no offense, and seem to not regret having given it - that is a sad statement.
I think its time to drop this.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-22-2013, 08:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Here's the article. She visited the scouts last week. She's been meeting with them frequently, but it's just not reported in the media.

Pregnant Duchess of Cambridge braves the snow to volunteer with Scouts | Royal | News | Daily Express
Wow, I did not know Kate had the Scouts to her home! How cool is that?What a gal!I think it's time we focus on wonderful things like that, and not the negative.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
As a trial attorney, you should understand that all of the evidence needs to be taken into account.

You take no offense, and seem to not regret having given it - that is a sad statement.

I think its time to drop this.
I really have seen no evidence to the contrary other than palace spin. I am sorry if my commentary offends, but my commentary stands - I do not regret giving my honest commentary whether it offends or not, that's the difference.

If you want to drop it, it is fine by me. The thread IS about the Duke and Duchess, but today it is about me.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post

Wow, I did not know Kate had the Scouts to her home! How cool is that?What a gal!I think it's time we focus on wonderful things like that, and not the negative.
I thought that was a great story too. What a memory for those kids.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
Here is an article on K&W's outing that shocked me! I had not considered the point of view of any individual who had lost a child...shame on me!

Prince William and Kate Middleton's eerie Child Bereavement UK visit
I am really sorry to say that this is an article from Louisiana. Good news is, this woman and her apparent fascination with someone she's never met are far from the public eye. No one reads this stuff. This is not from a well-known news source, and that's good-because it's hard to see how she could have taught anything in an institute of 'higher' education.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
MARNOE: Although many people visit this forum, many find W&K interesting, but not "all that." I am one of those people. I can see both sides of this visit, but I do think it was a tad callow of William to have Kate with him. This is a perfect example of not thinking things through. A person can't know what it is to lose a child until a person has experienced it. Bad call IMO.

DUCHESS: Irrelevant to the discussion.
Two probs with this: the organizers at the charity didn't think it was a bad idea, and they are trained experts. Secondly, these people aren't gods, but there are few other people who could sympathize with the bond these parents had with their children than expectant parents. One could say it would've been hard for a pregnant woman to visit with people who suffered the loss of their children, but empathy is all about being able to put your heart with someone else's and lend them a hand.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:47 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
Here is an article on K&W's outing that shocked me! I had not considered the point of view of any individual who had lost a child...shame on me!

Prince William and Kate Middleton's eerie Child Bereavement UK visit
Wow. That's beyond disgusting. I wonder if the 'author' of this diatribe knows William and Catherine personally to make such remarks. Rude, uncalled for, and distasteful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
This is an shocking article written very spiteful and nasty; probably someone who also would find fault, if they wouldn't support that charity, 'for not caring for bereaved people, while having all the luck in the world' -

The writer must be someone with lot of hate and littleness in his mind.
In complete agreement here. Again, just goes to show that this couple cannot win, because there will always be someone who will find fault and reason to spew such nasty vitriol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarNoe View Post
I'd rather read about the good that William and Kate do than to see the space wasted on idiots like the Kardashians or Paris Hilton or the Ecclestone girls. To me they are just useless entities taking up unneeded space - yet these useless people are "heroes" to millions of misguided kids. Sick.
Indeed! I have a lot of respect for William and Catherine, and have used their charitable activities as examples of being kind and helping the community when speaking with young children. They thought it was 'cool' that a 'prince and princess went to see people and children who were really sad and needed a hug'.

Recently I had contact with a child who had never met her father, because he died of cancer before her and her twin sister were born, and she said that she wished 'William and Kate would come and see her when she was sad and missing her Daddy, because Mommy doesn't know what it's like, and can't help'. This child was just four years old and if that doesn't show that at least some good comes from William and Catherine visiting charities like that, I don't know what does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernDayJackieO View Post
Add to that a little boy who was being treated at Royal Marsden who is now in remission and his parents were checked back up on by Hello and the Mom and Dad told them that every 3-4 weeks W&K themselves call the hospital to check on the progress of all the kids they have met.
I remember reading about this, and getting a lump in my throat. To some, this may be a small gesture, but to me, it says a great deal about the couple and what priorities they have. They DO care for others, and want to make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
"In the busyness of each day keep our eyes fixed on what is real and important in life and help us to be generous with our time and love and energy.
“Strengthened by our union help us to serve and comfort those who suffer. We ask this in the Spirit of Jesus Christ. Amen.”

-Their Royal Highnesses The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge.
I love this prayer. I think it states their intentions quite clearly and perfectly, not to mention that the couple definitely lives by these words.

Quote:
That article disgusts and annoys me!I agree with posts# 195, 205,06,and 09.I believe that by their actions William and Kate have shown they are intent on living out the prayer, in post 227- it was not empty words.As to the ? of whether William and Kate comfort families without cameras, if I had a penny for every time I read that they did, I would be able to buy a palace next door to theirs.I quoted the above, because I had never heard that, and it warms my heart. I do not find it surprising in the least however.Why can't we just celebrate the kindness William and Kate show, and not pay attention to articles that are so negative?
I agree, and please see the little story I wrote earlier in this post. Seems like this couple's magic is beginning to attract my students .

Quote:
That made me smile. I'd love to be a fly on the wall during something like this .

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:17 PM
Heir Apparent

That story brings tears to my eyes! How can anyone doubt W&C make a difference? The work they do affects many more people than just them and the people they meet!Wrote you a PM!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

It might even be worth writing through Child Bereavement U.K. It might help cut through some bureaucracy- but I've never written to them so I don't know.

Good on you for taking an extra interest in this little girl- kids who have been through something that hard need people to look out for them. And you're right, that's a perfect example of why the Cambridges' support of Child Bereavement UK is so positive- if it helps a little girl like that one feel less alone, that's wonderful.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:07 PM
Heir Apparent

HRH Hermione you said it! I also think writing thru CBUK is a great idea.They could then pass the letter along....
Old 03-22-2013, 10:40 PM
Heir Apparent

CBUK-Child Bereavement UK-Clare Charity Centre Wycombe Road Saunderton Buckinghamshire HP14 4BF TRH Duke and Duchess of Cambridge-Clarence House London SWIA 1BA
Old 03-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

I know I said I wouldn't respond to GracieGiraffe's comments anymore, but something she said made me break that rule just this once. I didn't tell her to "eff off". If she bothered to read my reply to KittyAtlanta correctly, she would have seen me saying that I did NOT tell her that.

I don't care if people here disagree with something I've said, but I do care a great deal when they accuse me of saying something I did not. Next time you want to fly off at the mouth, make sure what you're accusing me of saying is something I've actually said, and not your poor interpretation of it.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever......"
Old 03-22-2013, 11:25 PM
Heir Apparent

I would suggest writing to both Child Bereavement UK and the Cambridge's themselves. Cover all your bases.

Closed Thread