The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 10:27 AM
Imperial Majesty

More official engagements to look forward to. This is what I like seeing, the young royals carrying out royal duties.

Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror 3m
On April 5 Kate and William will join Prince Charles to open the new Tamar Manoukian Outdoor Centre at Dumfries House.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:54 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Dumfries House engagement appeared ages ago, I remember looking for information. Here we go, has something to do with Scouts.
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post1524098

Old 03-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Imperial Majesty

I guess that's why Victoria Murphy couldn't understand why there was an embargo on this announcement until this morning.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

So its an engagement on both 4th and 5th of April? I'm really looking forward to that, but its still a week and half of wait^^
Old 03-21-2013, 03:05 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
So its an engagement on both 4th and 5th of April? I'm really looking forward to that, but its still a week and half of wait^^
Yes, it's two days of official engagements.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

A great post about the upcoming visit:
Kate & William Headed to Scotland, Designers Kate Might Wear on the Trip » What Kate Wore
Old 03-21-2013, 06:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathia_sophia View Post
No, 2 1/2 weeks.

But don't worry, they could get papped on vacation or shopping before then!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:35 PM
Serene Highness

It would be less than 2 weeks between scheduled appearances: Scouts Friday 3/22 and Scotland 13 days later Thur and Fri 4/4 and 4/5.

There could still have something local next week that we dont know about yet. I would assume with anything requiring travel SJP tries to give a little more notice to coordinate logistics.

And maybe an Easter Appearance on 3/31!
Old 03-22-2013, 04:26 AM
Courtier

Here is an article on K&W's outing that shocked me! I had not considered the point of view of any individual who had lost a child...shame on me!

Prince William and Kate Middleton's eerie Child Bereavement UK visit
Old 03-22-2013, 04:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

That was a dreadful article by someone looking to criticize. The parents they met had lost children of all ages, and there were children as well who had lost a parent. This writer seems to think its inappropriate for William to bring up the loss of his mother more than once while talking to to a charity he supports because of that connection.

Like I said- ugly hit piece. And the parents that were selected got to choose to meet William and Kate, so presumably anyone who thought it would be too hard chose to opt out.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

The article makes a valid point in that bringing a pregnant woman to a charity event in support of parents who have lost children can be seen as tactless - especially if said parents have suffered miscarrages, stillborns, or the loss of infants.

What it doesn't take into consideration, however is the fact that this is not the first event for this charity that William and Catherine have attended together, and Child Bereavement UK places emphasis on William's patronage of the organization - he gets his own link in the charity's "About Us" section and is the first patron listed on their patron page (above even the organization's founder). Given that the organization works with a large number of people it's not all that difficult to believe that they took the time to select parents who had lost older children and not infants and who were able to be around a pregnant woman - as the article sarcastically points out, we're not told who any of the people they met had lost (or the circumstances under which), or their full names. Although, in all honesty, why would you expect the people who are a part of a charity that deals with such delicate and personal matters to reveal said matters to the press?

I have a couple favourite parts about this article, though. First of all, I love how Whalen keeps on referring to the Bates Motel, as if this is something out of a Hitchcock movie. I kind of suspect that either she hasn't seen Psycho or A&E is paying her for using the name a lot and thus advertising their new TV series. I also kind of find it funny that Whalen criticizes William for mentioning that he lost his mother, when that's the reason why he's involved in this charity in the first place (as it's as much for helping children who have been bereaved as it is about helping people who have been bereaved by the loss of a child). I wouldn't discredit the feeling of having lost a parent at such a young age or say that it's incomparable to having lost a child - unless you've gone through both you can't really say which is worse. My favourite part, though, is the somewhat more subtle implication that Catherine isn't actually pregnant, and that she's faking it.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:35 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
Here is an article on K&W's outing that shocked me! I had not considered the point of view of any individual who had lost a child...shame on me!

This is an shocking article written very spiteful and nasty; probably someone who also would find fault, if they wouldn't support that charity, 'for not caring for bereaved people, while having all the luck in the world' -

The writer must be someone with lot of hate and littleness in his mind.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:45 AM
Royal Highness

Where is the difference between this and other charities that the Royals support? I mean, take Centrepoint. all beneficiaries who meet William and Catherine know that the young Royals not only have a home but live in a palace when in London. Is it only when you are yourself in need of such an organization that you are allowed to support it? And even if: William was bereaved as a child! So he is part of the group that the charity aims at.

So this is a very stupid point to make! And a nasty piece in addition. IMHO, of course.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

It's not often I feel drawn to berate articles about the royals in the belief that everyone is entitled to air their opinion, but this is one of the most spiteful and biased report I have read in a long time. Shame on you whoever you are for allowing a visit that was evidently appreciated by the people who matter to be an opportunity to express such hatred.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

That article is truly a new low.

So, according to this woman, as a child of a dead parent, surely Prince William shouldn't be around Kate either since she's about to become a mother and he lost his? Surely seeing Kate's bump grow reminds him of his own mother who's no longer with him? This will cause him psychological damage, according to that 'journalist'.

Presumably then the royals shouldn't visit Centrepoint because they do have a home. Or The Royal Marsden Hospital since they don't have cancer. Or Hedley Court to visit veterans seriously injured in war since William's a serviceman and, unlike them, still has all his limbs.

That article beggars belief, it truly does.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:34 AM
Heir Presumptive

The point is they used a child bereavement center to make an infrequent appearance at one of their charities, wearing new coats, new dress, and talking about some baker. Had Kate been making regular appearances elsewhere, this would not have been about HER.

You can use all of the hyperbole you want, there are those of us who think Will and Kate only think of themselves, and find this to be nothing but a crass publicity stunt.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:41 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post

A truly ridiculous article (which you cannot comment on, by the way) as are others from the same Sarah Whalen.

Another of Ms. Whalen's articles is titled: "Letting Katherine, Pippa and James Middletons eat their cakes"

This Sarah Whalen apparently has taught at Tulane University (New Orleans, Louisiana) and other universities. Hope Ms. Whalen is not indicative of the caliber of Tulane's teachers.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:47 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
The point is they used a child bereavement center to make an infrequent appearance at one of their charities, wearing new coats, new dress, and talking about some baker. Had Kate been making regular appearances elsewhere, this would not have been about HER.

You can use all of the hyperbole you want, there are those of us who think Will and Kate only think of themselves, and find this to be nothing but a crass publicity stunt.
Really, I wish those who think this should view their own life in such a negative light first and change there all there is to change to become saints themselves before constantly carping about people they will never know all about, they will likely never meet and if they should meet them, they will only receive friendlyness from.

Apart from being born Royal and being grown-up, William has not yet any official role in the monarchy apart from being patron of charities and of a Royal regiment. He obviously works for these positions on showing up at certain events. He would be there even if there was no publicity attached. So where is the "stunt" in him doing what he promised to dop: lend support and act as a symbolic figurehead?
Old 03-22-2013, 10:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
It's not often I feel drawn to berate articles about the royals in the belief that everyone is entitled to air their opinion, but this is one of the most spiteful and biased report I have read in a long time. Shame on you whoever you are for allowing a visit that was evidently appreciated by the people who matter to be an opportunity to express such hatred.
Yes, and the logic is silly. By extension, it is uncaring of anyone who is well to visit someone who is sick, because they are somehow flaunting their wellness. Engaged persons should not speak to single people because their status might offend.

I believe people attended the function voluntarily. And since the organization focuses on working through bereavement, it should be considered quite normal that, if someone were emotional at the sight of a pregnant woman, they were well placed to work through that issue.

When I see random shoppers in a coat much like my deceased and much loved mom's I still tear up after 7 years. But I am not offended that these lovely ladies share the world with me. I take the moment to remember mom and celebrate all she gave to me.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:07 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
The point is they used a child bereavement center to make an infrequent appearance at one of their charities, wearing new coats, new dress, and talking about some baker......
That 'some baker' was Mary Berry who lost a son in a car crash in 1989.

Closed Thread