Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 5: March-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
More official engagements to look forward to. This is what I like seeing, the young royals carrying out royal duties.

Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror 3m
On April 5 Kate and William will join Prince Charles to open the new Tamar Manoukian Outdoor Centre at Dumfries House.

I guess that's why Victoria Murphy couldn't understand why there was an embargo on this announcement until this morning.

Last edited:
So its an engagement on both 4th and 5th of April? I'm really looking forward to that, but its still a week and half of wait^^

So its an engagement on both 4th and 5th of April? I'm really looking forward to that, but its still a week and half of wait^^

Yes, it's two days of official engagements.

It would be less than 2 weeks between scheduled appearances: Scouts Friday 3/22 and Scotland 13 days later Thur and Fri 4/4 and 4/5.

There could still have something local next week that we dont know about yet. I would assume with anything requiring travel SJP tries to give a little more notice to coordinate logistics.

And maybe an Easter Appearance on 3/31!

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a dreadful article by someone looking to criticize. The parents they met had lost children of all ages, and there were children as well who had lost a parent. This writer seems to think its inappropriate for William to bring up the loss of his mother more than once while talking to to a charity he supports because of that connection.

Like I said- ugly hit piece. And the parents that were selected got to choose to meet William and Kate, so presumably anyone who thought it would be too hard chose to opt out.

The article makes a valid point in that bringing a pregnant woman to a charity event in support of parents who have lost children can be seen as tactless - especially if said parents have suffered miscarrages, stillborns, or the loss of infants.

What it doesn't take into consideration, however is the fact that this is not the first event for this charity that William and Catherine have attended together, and Child Bereavement UK places emphasis on William's patronage of the organization - he gets his own link in the charity's "About Us" section and is the first patron listed on their patron page (above even the organization's founder). Given that the organization works with a large number of people it's not all that difficult to believe that they took the time to select parents who had lost older children and not infants and who were able to be around a pregnant woman - as the article sarcastically points out, we're not told who any of the people they met had lost (or the circumstances under which), or their full names. Although, in all honesty, why would you expect the people who are a part of a charity that deals with such delicate and personal matters to reveal said matters to the press?

I have a couple favourite parts about this article, though. First of all, I love how Whalen keeps on referring to the Bates Motel, as if this is something out of a Hitchcock movie. I kind of suspect that either she hasn't seen Psycho or A&E is paying her for using the name a lot and thus advertising their new TV series. I also kind of find it funny that Whalen criticizes William for mentioning that he lost his mother, when that's the reason why he's involved in this charity in the first place (as it's as much for helping children who have been bereaved as it is about helping people who have been bereaved by the loss of a child). I wouldn't discredit the feeling of having lost a parent at such a young age or say that it's incomparable to having lost a child - unless you've gone through both you can't really say which is worse. My favourite part, though, is the somewhat more subtle implication that Catherine isn't actually pregnant, and that she's faking it.

Here is an article on K&W's outing that shocked me! I had not considered the point of view of any individual who had lost a child...shame on me!

Prince William and Kate Middleton's eerie Child Bereavement UK visit

This is an shocking article written very spiteful and nasty; probably someone who also would find fault, if they wouldn't support that charity, 'for not caring for bereaved people, while having all the luck in the world' -

The writer must be someone with lot of hate and littleness in his mind. :ermm:

Where is the difference between this and other charities that the Royals support? I mean, take Centrepoint. all beneficiaries who meet William and Catherine know that the young Royals not only have a home but live in a palace when in London. Is it only when you are yourself in need of such an organization that you are allowed to support it? And even if: William was bereaved as a child! So he is part of the group that the charity aims at.

So this is a very stupid point to make! And a nasty piece in addition. IMHO, of course.

:previous: It's not often I feel drawn to berate articles about the royals in the belief that everyone is entitled to air their opinion, but this is one of the most spiteful and biased report I have read in a long time. Shame on you whoever you are for allowing a visit that was evidently appreciated by the people who matter to be an opportunity to express such hatred.

That article is truly a new low.

So, according to this woman, as a child of a dead parent, surely Prince William shouldn't be around Kate either since she's about to become a mother and he lost his? Surely seeing Kate's bump grow reminds him of his own mother who's no longer with him? This will cause him psychological damage, according to that 'journalist'.

Presumably then the royals shouldn't visit Centrepoint because they do have a home. Or The Royal Marsden Hospital since they don't have cancer. Or Hedley Court to visit veterans seriously injured in war since William's a serviceman and, unlike them, still has all his limbs.

That article beggars belief, it truly does.

The point is they used a child bereavement center to make an infrequent appearance at one of their charities, wearing new coats, new dress, and talking about some baker. Had Kate been making regular appearances elsewhere, this would not have been about HER.

You can use all of the hyperbole you want, there are those of us who think Will and Kate only think of themselves, and find this to be nothing but a crass publicity stunt.

Here is an article on K&W's outing that shocked me! I had not considered the point of view of any individual who had lost a child...shame on me!

Prince William and Kate Middleton's eerie Child Bereavement UK visit

A truly ridiculous article (which you cannot comment on, by the way) as are others from the same Sarah Whalen.

Another of Ms. Whalen's articles is titled: "Letting Katherine, Pippa and James Middletons eat their cakes"

This Sarah Whalen apparently has taught at Tulane University (New Orleans, Louisiana) and other universities. Hope Ms. Whalen is not indicative of the caliber of Tulane's teachers.

Last edited:
The point is they used a child bereavement center to make an infrequent appearance at one of their charities, wearing new coats, new dress, and talking about some baker. Had Kate been making regular appearances elsewhere, this would not have been about HER.

You can use all of the hyperbole you want, there are those of us who think Will and Kate only think of themselves, and find this to be nothing but a crass publicity stunt.

Really, I wish those who think this should view their own life in such a negative light first and change there all there is to change to become saints themselves before constantly carping about people they will never know all about, they will likely never meet and if they should meet them, they will only receive friendlyness from.

Apart from being born Royal and being grown-up, William has not yet any official role in the monarchy apart from being patron of charities and of a Royal regiment. He obviously works for these positions on showing up at certain events. He would be there even if there was no publicity attached. So where is the "stunt" in him doing what he promised to dop: lend support and act as a symbolic figurehead?

:previous: It's not often I feel drawn to berate articles about the royals in the belief that everyone is entitled to air their opinion, but this is one of the most spiteful and biased report I have read in a long time. Shame on you whoever you are for allowing a visit that was evidently appreciated by the people who matter to be an opportunity to express such hatred.

Yes, and the logic is silly. By extension, it is uncaring of anyone who is well to visit someone who is sick, because they are somehow flaunting their wellness. Engaged persons should not speak to single people because their status might offend.

I believe people attended the function voluntarily. And since the organization focuses on working through bereavement, it should be considered quite normal that, if someone were emotional at the sight of a pregnant woman, they were well placed to work through that issue.

When I see random shoppers in a coat much like my deceased and much loved mom's I still tear up after 7 years. But I am not offended that these lovely ladies share the world with me. I take the moment to remember mom and celebrate all she gave to me.

Last edited:
The point is they used a child bereavement center to make an infrequent appearance at one of their charities, wearing new coats, new dress, and talking about some baker......

That 'some baker' was Mary Berry who lost a son in a car crash in 1989.

It's a good thing William and Catherine don't read this forum. They would be very hurt by this comment. And I am disappointed that an American could make it. I lived in England for four years at one point and there were too many times I was ashamed of my fellow Americans.

If William or Kate saved someone's life you'd say they did it for their own glory. Oh wait, William has saved lives.

MARNOE: Although many people visit this forum, many find W&K interesting, but not "all that." I am one of those people. I can see both sides of this visit, but I do think it was a tad callow of William to have Kate with him. This is a perfect example of not thinking things through. A person can't know what it is to lose a child until a person has experienced it. Bad call IMO.

DUCHESS: Irrelevant to the discussion.

Last edited:

Yea, the baker in question is on the board of the organization because she lost a child.

I honestly think your take on this is odd and hostile for no reason at all. William is patron of this organization, should he not visit it? Or should Kate not visit despite the fact that charities are dying for the kind of exposure she brings?

Once again, the parents who met with them were selected and were the people who wanted to do it and felt comfortable doing so and their stories were not told to the press and photos of the meeting with them were not taken. What more do you want?

MARNOE: Although many people visit this forum, many find W&K interesting, but not "all that." I am one of those people. I can see both sides of this visit, but I do think it was a tad callow of William to have Kate with him. This is a perfect example of not thinking things through. A person can't know what it is to lose a child until a person has experienced it. Bad call IMO.

DUCHESS: Irrelevant to the discussion.

And a person who does not have a sick child has not idea what that is like until they experience it - should Kate then give up her involvement with EACH if her child is healthy. Would it not also be callous of her to meet the parents of sick children when her own child is healthy at home.

The people that Kate and William met choose to be there, they knew who was coming. I'm sure that they were all aware that Kate is pregnant. It's so sad that you are using the loss these people suffered as a way to get in your usual dig at William and Kate.

So Catherine should have shown up in her pajamas? Maybe William could have sauntered in wearing his boxer shorts and Ugg boots? What level of "not new" should they have exhibited with their clothes? Perhaps borrowed something from Pippa and Harry? As someone else pointed out (that you probably won't read), that "some baker" you were referring to was a woman who lost her son in a car accident 24 years ago. So not just "some baker", but a person relevant to the place they were visiting.

I suppose if William and Catherine went to a halfway house for recovering drug addicts next, you'd complain that because neither of them have had drug addiction problems, their appearing there is nothing but a crass publicity stunt. Or maybe if they attend someone's funeral, that'll be nothing more than a crass publicity stunt to you since neither of them are dead.

The level of irrational hatred for these two people boggles my damn mind. What's worse, a lot of this is coming from people who don't even in live in the UK or other Commonwealth countries, and thus neither of these two people will be anything to you, at any time. I don't like the Kardashian family, so I don't go to websites devoted to them or messages boards where people talk about them. I ignore them, and go about my life. If you hate these two so much, why do you bother talking about them? That makes absolutely no sense. There are plenty of other royal families to talk about here, you don't have to lower yourself to having discourse about two people who you clearly think are beneath you.

Yup, it's a bit frustrating that people with such negative opinions about this couple bother to show up in this thread at all. If you find a pretty typical royal engagement to be a "crass publicity stunt" then this probably isn't the right forum for you.

With all due respect, if you truly feel that way, why do you concern yourself with what they do with their lives? Is it just to get in a dig at them? The fact is that yes, they did get a lot of publicity from this visit. That publicity will call attention to the charity, and maybe even people who didn't know it existed will now know. Most every charity that they've gotten involved with has reported an increase in donations after William and/or Kate has become a patron. Surely that's a good thing, publicity stunt or not?

I'd rather read about the good that William and Kate do than to see the space wasted on idiots like the Kardashians or Paris Hilton or the Ecclestone girls. To me they are just useless entities taking up unneeded space - yet these useless people are "heroes" to millions of misguided kids. Sick.

I thought this was one of their better joint engagements because William's own experience and the fact that kate is a mother-to-be allow them to relate more to the people this wonderful charity is seeking to help. And I have to say the royal reporters have done well this time. A significant portion of each article I have read about this engagement was devoted to this charity alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom