Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 5: March-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And as far as Kate's new clothes are concerned, the woman is pregnant and probably doesn't have a lot of clothes that fit. So yeah, she is wearing new clothes.

And as far as Kate's new clothes are concerned, the woman is pregnant and probably doesn't have a lot of clothes that fit. So yeah, she is wearing new clothes.

And fairly plain, subdued new clothes at that. She recycles her clothing constantly, now she's going to get criticism because on this one occasion she wore something new instead of recycled?

Ugh. And I also hate the idea that this was a "publicity stunt". Quite aside from being rude, that point is also silly. Publicity stunts are used by people who need the press attention, and anyone who's paying attention knows that isn't these two. She makes the papers if she buys a coffee or walks her dog- she doesn't need publicity.

This visit was the couple filling their royal roles. It's what they're supposed to be doing.

Last edited:

I agree, about the clothes March 17th she wore the same jacket as last year. Just had the bottons moved... I really don't think anyone should complain about her wearing new things. Most people have spent the last two years complaining about the fact that she re-wears all her clothes can we make up our minds please...

The same critics who say they don't do enough work and when to do work it's a publicity stunt. None of the other Royals get this scrutiny on here. Some of the newer members are really getting on my nerve, they seem to be worse critics. :bang:

Okay, I can by logic understand a little bit what Bates Motel has to do with this charity. After all Norman Bates lost a parent, too. And he was obviously not able to adapt to lead a normal life afterwards, so might have needed help by a charity such as this. Maybe.

But what has that to do with Catherine and her being pregnant? In all cultures being pregnant means to give life to a new person, to give world another chance of happiness. What's so wrong with this? And what has that got to do with Norman Bates and his late mother's wicker chair?

The point is they used a child bereavement center to make an infrequent appearance at one of their charities, wearing new coats, new dress, and talking about some baker. Had Kate been making regular appearances elsewhere, this would not have been about HER.

You can use all of the hyperbole you want, there are those of us who think Will and Kate only think of themselves, and find this to be nothing but a crass publicity stunt.

Presumably William & Catherines appearance was at the invitation of the charity themselves since that is usually how things are done. If it was a "publicity stunt" it was one arranged by the charity in order to get attention for the charity.

I agree, about the clothes March 17th she wore the same jacket as last year. Just had the bottons moved... I really don't think anyone should complain about her wearing new things. Most people have spent the last two years complaining about the fact that she re-wears all her clothes can we make up our minds please...
Yep. People were complaining about the fit (and button placements) of the pink coat she wore on the 15th, and asking why she didn't buy a new coat. Now she's bought a new coat and people are complaining that she's turning up to charity events in new clothes. She really can't seem to win.

So Catherine should have shown up in her pajamas? Maybe William could have sauntered in wearing his boxer shorts and Ugg boots?... If you hate these two so much, why do you bother talking about them? That makes absolutely no sense.
Totally agree.
Like others have said, the charity would have spoken to the parents and asked them if they wanted to be there during Kate and William's visit.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know some folks just like to pick on Catherine no matter what.

I have nothing else to add to this idea that this event was a publicity stunt put on by WnK. It really has all been said. Just want to say u guys are awesome and made some really good points.

Some very good points made but it is a mistake to confuse how an event is reported with the purpose of the visit.

It is shallow newshounds and bloggers who emphasis Catherine's clothes and not her intent. I gave one blogging site the link to the express article which had more info about the charity than any other. They posted the link but said that they didn't really get "into" the charities that Catherine supports. That summed it up for me.

The real work they do is not in front of the cameras - time spent with bereaved parents; time spent with terminally sick children etc.

And the "Baker" is Mary Berry who is a Patron of the charity.

Some of you talk charity but dont seem to have any.

Agreed. It takes a lot of malice to look at a visit to a bereavement charity as a shallow publicity stunt, and a lot of gall to criticize the couple for telling another patron of the charity that they're a fan of her work when they were introduced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some very good points made but it is a mistake to confuse how an event is reported with the purpose of the visit.

It is shallow newshounds and bloggers who emphasis Catherine's clothes and not her intent. I gave one blogging site the link to the express article which had more info about the charity than any other. They posted the link but said that they didn't really get "into" the charities that Catherine supports. That summed it up for me.

The real work they do is not in front of the cameras - time spent with bereaved parents; time spent with terminally sick children etc.

And the "Baker" is Mary Berry who is a Patron of the charity.

Some of you talk charity but dont seem to have any.

Are you telling us that the Duke and Duchess spend time with bereaved parents and terminally sick children that is NOT in front of the cameras? If so, then I personally stand corrected.

Thank you, each and every one of you, for personally responding to me. But don't worry, if Will cares about my commentary, he will put out a statement that he is "bruised" or sue me, when he gets back from his upcoming annual ski trip with the Middletons. Perhaps he'll include a reference to his late mother when he addresses my commentary.

Are you telling us that the Duke and Duchess spend time with bereaved parents and terminally sick children that is NOT in front of the cameras? If so, then I personally stand corrected.

Thank you, each and every one of you, for personally responding to me. But don't worry, if Will cares about my commentary, he will put out a statement that he is "bruised" or sue me, when he gets back from his upcoming annual ski trip with the Middletons. Perhaps he'll include a reference to his late mother when he addresses my commentary.

Ok, your statements have gone from offensive to truly uncalled for. The crack about him including a reference to his late mother like it's something he does lightly for attention is beyond the pale. If you truly dislike these people this much, I suggest you find a more productive hobby than showing up every day to talk about them.

And yes, if you'd bothered to actually read all of the coverage from this visit, you'd have learned that the photographers were not allowed into the meeting William and Kate had with the bereaved parents and were given strict instructions to protect the privacy of the people involved with this visit as is common for charity visits involving personal stories of a sensitive nature.

Last edited:

I think what most of are trying to say is that your repeated comments about not liking W&,K as well as those of other posters, are getting to be mind numbing, boring, and add absolutely nothing useful to the conversation. I think I can speak for all of us when I state, we know you aren't fond of W&K.

Based on facts other posters have shared, it is obvious that W&K haters such as yourself do not know all the facts, yet feel free to criticize them for their clothes and the things they do and why they do the things the do.

The bottom line is that we apparently all have expectations for royals, and when they don't live up to OUR expectations we become critical of them. WE need to back off and let them do what they do.

Kate and Prince William are the Duke and Duchess of Cuddles | Royal | News | Daily Express

This was posted originally by ghost-night and then again at #175

EDIT: Also not in front of cameras were meetings with children and parents at the Royal Marsden and at EACH. One of the children at the EACH hospice died earlier this year and the parents posted a picture of Catherine with the child.

Add to that a little boy who was being treated at Royal Marsden who is now in remission and his parents were checked back up on by Hello and the Mom and Dad told them that every 3-4 weeks W&K themselves call the hospital to check on the progress of all the kids they have met.

"In the busyness of each day keep our eyes fixed on what is real and important in life and help us to be generous with our time and love and energy.
“Strengthened by our union help us to serve and comfort those who suffer. We ask this in the Spirit of Jesus Christ. Amen.”

-Their Royal Highnesses The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge.

Last edited:
Add to that a little boy who was being treated at Royal Marsden who is now in remission and his parents were checked back up on by Hello and the Mom and Dad told them that every 3-4 weeks W&K themselves call the hospital to check on the progress of all the kids they have met.

That article disgusts and annoys me!I agree with posts# 195, 205,06,and 09.I believe that by their actions William and Kate have shown they are intent on living out the prayer, in post 227- it was not empty words.As to the ? of whether William and Kate comfort families without cameras, if I had a penny for every time I read that they did, I would be able to buy a palace next door to theirs.I quoted the above, because I had never heard that, and it warms my heart. I do not find it surprising in the least however.Why can't we just celebrate the kindness William and Kate show, and not pay attention to articles that are so negative?

I'm really glad I don't know you. Because if I did, it would reflect very badly on me that I would allow someone with your attitude into my life. I don't know what you're doing here or why you continue to comment about two people you clearly have no respect for, even as fellow human beings, but I think we'd all be better served if we just stopped responding to your comments, and after I hit "Submit Reply", that's precisely what I'm going to do.

Sister Morphine, please place me on "ignore" as well. As far as I am aware, participation from both sides of the aisle are permitted in these fora.

Last edited:

Unworthy. As every good lawyer knows Gracie, all of the evidence should be taken into account in support of an viewpoint.

Quote from KittyAtlanta to Sister Morphine, please place me on "ignore" as well. As far as I am aware, participation from both sides of the aisle are permitted in these fora.

That's right - both sides, taking all the information into account.

It seems to me that this has been an interesting and lively discussion but perhaps if all of us read all of the information available, it wouldn't decend into personalities.

In as much as I've come to see, a lot of what Gracie says doesn't seem to be intended as serious. While she may not be a fan of William and Catherine, her comments are also typically sarcastic and/or joking (however tactless and/or out of line one might also view them). Before we go to extremes in attacking her here, we should probably take that into consideration.

KittyAtlanta said:
Sister Morphine, please place me on "ignore" as well. As far as I am aware, participation from both sides of the aisle are permitted in these fora.
:rolleyes:

Changing the subject: I thought this was interesting as it wasn't widely reported:
Richard Palmer reports that Willliam, patron of the Windsor Greys Jubilee Appeal, attended a lunch at the Kennel Club in London on March 17.
https://twitter.com/RoyalReporter/status/313900515350163456

I'm also trying to track down a report that Kate attended a Boy Scout meeting earlier this month. The Boy Scouts, of course, is not one of Kate's patronages, she is just an occasional volunteer.

The point being, of course, that both William and Kate, like many of the Royals, have business lunches and business meetings that are networking and that are not public engagements with a contingent of paparazzi.

Last edited:
I'd rather read about the good that William and Kate do than to see the space wasted on idiots like the Kardashians or Paris Hilton or the Ecclestone girls. To me they are just useless entities taking up unneeded space - yet these useless people are "heroes" to millions of misguided kids. Sick.

I am with you- I don't read about the people, or type of people you refer to, because I don't look up to them- they do nothing worthy of being looked up to. Not so with Kate and William, and people like them. I enjoy reading about them because they provide a good example unlike so many in the public eye."Hero" is too strong a word, but they are good role models, and I admire them.

Ah, good. One more "person" to add to the ignore list.

Debate is one thing, outright insult and slander is something else. And insinuating that two people only visit a charity to offend another group within said charity is just stupid.

I'm also trying to track down a report that Kate attended a Boy Scout meeting earlier this month. The Boy Scouts, of course, is not one of Kate's patronages, she is just an occasional volunteer.

The point being, of course, that both William and Kate, like many of the Royals, have business lunches and business meetings that are networking and that are not public engagements with a contingent of paparazzi.

Here's the article. She visited the scouts last week. She's been meeting with them frequently, but it's just not reported in the media.

She was with them on Wednesday last week and has joined them on two or three other occasions since Christmas, though her appearances are thought to have been less frequent since she became pregnant....

Last July she hosted a barbecue for her local pack near her farmhouse in Anglesey, flipping burgers and teaching the children how to gut fish.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...idge-braves-the-snow-to-volunteer-with-Scouts

Last edited:

Where did I say anything about an ignore list? I said I was going to stop responding to her comments, and one can do that without putting someone on ignore. As for "participation from both sides of the aisle", what is the point in posting on a message board, or at least a subset of a message board, that is devoted to people you don't like? I didn't say that person had to leave The Royal Forums and never come back. I said I didn't see the point in making comment in this specific section if you clearly have no respect for the people this specific section is about.

That is not quite the same thing as saying she should be banned/shunned/told to eff off. That said, if you want to me to pretend you don't exist either, I'm all about making people happy.

Here's the article. She visited the scouts last week. She's been meeting with them frequently, but it's just not reported in the media.

Pregnant Duchess of Cambridge braves the snow to volunteer with Scouts | Royal | News | Daily Express

Many thanks - I've been looking for that! :)

Good to see that the Scouts have noticed a significant increase in adult volunteers since she took up their cause. It's also reported that the reason they value Kate's support is that she helps when she can, as she's a very busy person - it points up that adult volunteers don't have to commit to be there every week.

Last edited:
When William was last in Afghanistan (for Remembrance Sunday before his engagement to Kate was announced I think), he helped pilot the RAF plane back to the UK. As it so happened, on that plane was the body of a British soldier who had given his life for Queen and country. As soon as the plane landed at RAF Lyneham, William immediately went to the terminal building for a private meeting with the family of the fallen serviceman. The choice to meet William or not meet William was entirely their's. No photos or video were taken.

William has also had private meetings with bereaved families who lost loved ones during natural disasters in Australia and New Zealand. Same here at home, when he and Kate met with the families of 3 men ruthlessly murdered while trying to stop the rioting and looting in Birmingham a couple of years ago. No photos or videos taken.

The RF as a whole will meet privately with bereaved families quite often, never is such a meeting recorded or photographed and no-one knows about what was said, unless the family choose to make it public.

William and Kate have shown, again and again, that they don't use the tragedy of others to boost their PR.

I have no problem with contrary opinions on TRF. What is disappointing, is this recent surge in sarcastic, eye-rolling judging of others. You don't like these royals or monarchy in general, that's fair enough. But, please then don't belittle and deride those of us who do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom