The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Majesty

I just think The Queen is used to inviting the same people over and over again. You always get the Wessex's, Gloucester's, Kent's Princess Royal, etc. I think she have to remember there's a new royal couple in town too.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-25-2013, 12:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I just think The Queen is used to inviting the same people over and over again. You always get the Wessex's, Gloucester's, Kent's Princess Royal, etc. I think she have to remember there's a new royal couple in town too.
But we don't know whether or not she invited W&C.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Heir Apparent

If she actually invited, they would go, IMO. As William said (paraphrase) when she says she wants something, it happens.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 10-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Majesty

Yeah, William & Catherine wouldn't turn down an important State event like that, if they were invited.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-25-2013, 01:31 PM
Serene Highness

Yes. That is a good question. As senior royals, arent William and Catherine supposed to attend a state dinner? Or maybe I should say, arent they required to attend? I thought now that they are considered senior royals they would have to be doing these things. Am I wrong?
Old 10-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Majesty

As they are senior royals, you would think they would attend. Perhaps next year?

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Serene Highness

Will they go to the Festival of Remembrance at the Albert Hall in a couple of weeks?
Old 10-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Serene Highness

But why would they have to wait until next year? Is there a certain protocol which demands they wait a year? I dont understand. Being senior members now I thought meant the beginning of all sorts of things including state dinners and more travel, more royal duties?
Old 10-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Courtier

State dinners are carefully planned. List of guests is approved by the government. Queen can't simply add William and Kate. To do this she must withdraw two guests or two royals (who also have their working plan). Places around the table are limited.
Old 10-25-2013, 02:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
Yes. That is a good question. As senior royals, arent William and Catherine supposed to attend a state dinner? Or maybe I should say, arent they required to attend? I thought now that they are considered senior royals they would have to be doing these things. Am I wrong?
Not all of the royals go to all of the State dinners. The emphasis is on State, not Royal, so politicians and diplomats are priorities, I should think. Also much depends on the scale of the entourage with the visiting Head of State and the core reason for the visit. And finally, if the Head of State is also a Monarch.

It always seemed to me to be a strange brew of all of these things so not easy (at least for me) to work out who would, opposed to who could, attend.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGabrielle View Post
But why would they have to wait until next year? Is there a certain protocol which demands they wait a year? I dont understand. Being senior members now I thought meant the beginning of all sorts of things including state dinners and more travel, more royal duties?
They don't have to wait for next year. I was just stating that perhaps they will start attending next year. The Queen is the one that approve the list of royals attending and other guest. I think the Cambridge's should be attending. We just see the same royals attending every year over and over again.

It would be nice if they attended the Festival of Remembrance after the Cenotaph service.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-25-2013, 03:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
They don't have to wait for next year. I was just stating that perhaps they will start attending next year. The Queen is the one that approve the list of royals attending and other guest. I think the Cambridge's should be attending. We just see the same royals attending every year over and over again.

It would be nice if they attended the Festival of Remembrance after the Cenotaph service.
Festival of Remembrance is before the Cenotaph service

Old 10-25-2013, 03:19 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Festival of Remembrance is before the Cenotaph service
I meant the service at the Royal Albert Hall.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-25-2013, 03:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I meant the service at the Royal Albert Hall.
I think we are doing a tango around this one! Festival of Remembrance is the service at the Albert Hall on the Saturday and then there is Remembrance Day Service at the Cenotaph on the Sunday. I think we are agreeing

Old 10-25-2013, 04:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
The Queen is not the one that approve the list of royals.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office do it also. The Queen can't change list without Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:36 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spheno View Post
The Queen is not the one that approve the list of royals.
Foreign and Commonwealth Office do it also. The Queen can't change list without Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
I think you may be talking about the actual guest list but I'm talking about the attendance of the British royals. I think if some of the senior members of the royal family's schedules are clear, she invite or asks who would like to attend in advance. The usual royals who attend are, Charles & Camilla, the Wessex's, Gloucester's and Kent's. I'm just saying wondering when the Cambridge's will start attending? Not that it matters much because we hardly get any good pictures and video of the State event, which is very much a sad case, IMO.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-25-2013, 05:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Not all of the royals go to all of the State dinners. The emphasis is on State, not Royal, so politicians and diplomats are priorities, I should think. Also much depends on the scale of the entourage with the visiting Head of State and the core reason for the visit. And finally, if the Head of State is also a Monarch.

It always seemed to me to be a strange brew of all of these things so not easy (at least for me) to work out who would, opposed to who could, attend.
I also think the Queen is well aware that If they attend, it sorta becomes the Will and Kate first state dinner, instead of a dinner to host a foreign dignitary. There is almost no photo coverage of the attendees at these events - which would mean a great hue and cry over not being able to see what Kate wore.
I remember one of the last tiara dinners Sophie attended. People were losing it because we could not see her dress/tiara well. Just imagine what would happen if we could not ID Kate's shoes. The world would quit spinning on its axis.
I've said elsewhere that I think the Queen understands the value to a family of being able to stay home with the kiddies (as she was not able to do). I think she knows how many children W and K want to have and over what period of time and she has adjusted her requirements from the pair accordingly to fit the growing family.
I think she's a wise great grandma. And I am off topic AGAIN!
Old 10-25-2013, 05:36 PM
Majesty

I don't think The Queen care about the coverage William & Catherine would be getting. They will have to attend at some point but they haven't done so, even before George was born. I just think it would be great to see William & Catherine attend a State Banquet for once, even if we don't get any pictures. I think the official YouTube site uploads the speeches.

Dr. Maya Angelou
Old 10-25-2013, 06:37 PM
Nobility

Judging by who the usual suspects are that attend the state dinners, they're all first- or second-generation Royals. William (and Kate) are third-generation Royals. That may play into whether or not they're invited to attend. Just guessing...
Old 10-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Serene Highness

Maybe they should do a black tie/tiara dinner in Australia or New Zealand so it gets the first one out of the way instead stealing what little coverage of a UK state dinner. Those state dinners during the South Asian tour were the weirdest thing with the ladies in gowns but the guys in regular suits.