Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 5: March-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
but they won't be attending the Festival of Remembrance at Royal Albert Hall, Surprising and IMO dissapointing.

If they did attend the event, all the press would focus on is Kate's dress and not the event or the reason behind it.

If they did attend the event, all the press would focus on is Kate's dress and not the event or the reason behind it.

The royals can't help with the media will write but that shouldn't stop the Cambridge's from attending very important events like the Festival of Remembrance and even State Banquets. I also think it's a shame that they don't attend these kind of events.

The royal couple and their aides can no longer use the excuses of them not attending important events like this because of their military life back in Anglesey and we know they have a nanny for George.

Last edited:
The royals can't help with the media will write but that shouldn't stop the Cambridge's from attending very important events like the Festival of Remembrance and even State Banquets. I also think it's a shame that they don't attend these kind of events.

The royal couple and their aides can no longer use the excuses of them not attending important events like this because of their military life back in Anglesey and we know they have a nanny for George.

I would imagine attendance at such an event would be at the invite of the Queen. I'd also wager a box of donuts that if the Queen had invited the Cambridges to be there, they most certainly would be. Granny just has to ask first. We can't assume that they're not at the Festival because they don't want to be or had other plans or they can't find a babysitter. I don't think they can just decide they want to go and show up.

I would imagine attendance at such an event would be at the invite of the Queen. I'd also wager a box of donuts that if the Queen had invited the Cambridges to be there, they most certainly would be. Granny just has to ask first. We can't assume that they're not at the Festival because they don't want to be or had other plans or they can't find a babysitter. I don't think they can just decide they want to go and show up.

If that's the case, then I think The Queen should start asking and inviting the Cambridge's. I think The Queen is just used to inviting the same people to these important events over and over again.

If that's the case, then I think The Queen should start asking and inviting the Cambridge's. I think The Queen is just used to inviting the same people to these important events over and over again.

From how it appears to me, she attends with her husband and her children and spouses and perhaps her cousins. I can't remember exactly who usually goes to the state banquets and this festival but I can remember thinking that these are the people that are out there working to represent her.

Perhaps these invites to an affair that is more "glamorous" or more on a family social level is her way of recognizing all they do for the Firm. I'm not the Queen so I don't know. For all we know, she may feel that if she invites William and Kate, she'd also have to extend invitations to her other grandchildren. Although William will inherit the throne some day barring any unfortunate circumstances, I think at this time he's really a novice in the Firm with a long way to go and a lot to learn.

His time will come hopefully later rather than sooner.

Why are people treating William as Heir Apparent? When he is not. When he is Heir Apparent he will be attending these. Until otherwise he will not be attending.

Well i think peopleare only treating him like that as he nowdoesn't have a job, when he did the public and even the media to an extent left William to get on with it.
I think saying if William attends the other grandchildren will have to be invited it a bit off as it was only the Cambrigdes and Harry invited onto the balcony at teh Jubilee.

This is what William said last year in a interview during The Queen Diamond Jubilee "What Granny says goes and She always get the last Word"

Obviously the Queen did not invite William and Catherine or told them they had to go because if she did then they would attending. I am sure the Queen will eventually tell them they have to attend and they will.

Well i think peopleare only treating him like that as he nowdoesn't have a job, when he did the public and even the media to an extent left William to get on with it.
I think saying if William attends the other grandchildren will have to be invited it a bit off as it was only the Cambrigdes and Harry invited onto the balcony at teh Jubilee.

Exactly, if he's still going to be missing major events like the Festival of Remembrance then he might as well have stayed in the military for a few more years.

Exactly, if he's still going to be missing major events like the Festival of Remembrance then he might as well have stayed in the military for a few more years.

Do we actually know that he is choosing to not attend?

William is going to another event that he is patron to on November 9th. I don't see the big deal

LAst time I looked the Queen was Head of the Royal Family. If she is content then some of you are just going to be doomed to disappointment. Its a tad sad for the rest of us who accept how it works that you are going to be spending the next year at least moaning about it.

The Festival of Remembrance is not a major event - the Cenotaph Service is.

LAst time I looked the Queen was Head of the Royal Family. If she is content then some of you are just going to be doomed to disappointment. Its a tad sad for the rest of us who accept how it works that you are going to be spending the next year at least moaning about it.

The Festival of Remembrance is not a major event - the Cenotaph Service is.

Obviously if the Queen hasn't invited them they can't jsut rock up and gate crash, and I know the Royal box at the Albert Hall can only fit 22 which isn't many so it might mean having to ask some of the other royals not to attend. However IMO now William has left the military he should begin attending the staple royal events such as this, this is an event remembring the men and women in the armed forces (of which William will one day be head) who lost their lives, yes he will be at the Cenotaph but it doesn't have to be a case of them only doing the minimum. If William was still in the military I wouldn't expect them to attend but at the moment he has no job and doesn't seem to be doing all that many royal duties. It all comes down to teh question - what exactly is his and Catherine's role? At the moment its neither to be members of the full time working Royal Family or working elsewhere.

Whilst its neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things, I personally see the Festival of Remembrance as a major event, as I'm sure do the service personnel, their families and the vetrans who attend.

Last edited:
Someone on Twitter said that Princess Anne has been turning up at state banquets and even more minor royals think it’s simply that William and Catherine hasn't been introduced to the format of state banquets and the like yet.

I don't think any of us are moaning about anything but just thought that now that William's military career is over and that he and Catherine are focusing more on official duties and their charities, some thought the could start attending these big events.

Cepe, it's not about moaning.

He's going to this event https://twitter.com/victoriaarbiter/status/394830012781584384 on the day of the festival of remembrance.

Any problem you have with him not attending, you should take it up with the Queen. Maybe next year they will kick out Edward and Sophie so William and Catherine can attend. By the way Charles and Camilla is not listed as attending

Charles and Camilla are in India then along with Remembrance Sunday.

William has been out of the military a month... He has a lot to learn and is very obviously increasing the number of events he is doing, more specifically, with his charities. He can't do everything and He and his wife are probably going to slowly(over a few years) start attending "bigger" events.

Right now, they seem to be trying to focus on their patronages. A lot of the things people expect them to start doing right away seems unrealistic to me. Kensington Palace said this was a "transitional year". I expect him to slowly get his feet wet with such things as investitures (which people complained or suggested that he should do) and the like. Meanwhile he does have patronages and his conservation project. He's doing fine to me. The number of events he has done in the last month or so have shown me that he is serious about his work and building up his...resume? (I don't have a good word for it at the moment)

Honestly, I don't see what the problem is. Also, on a side note, he is obviously doing things he is interested in. I love that fact. And, as already said, the Queen has the say so on those events. When she wants William and Catherine to attend they will. There are a lot of people in the royal family who are working. I imagine too many people gets to be a crowd at certain events.

Last edited:
The Queen has been the Queen for several decades. I have to accept that she knows what she's doing after all these many years.

I don't think any of us are moaning about anything but just thought that now that William's military career is over and that he and Catherine are focusing more on official duties and their charities, some thought the could start attending these big events.

Cepe, it's not about moaning.

I accept some may be disappointed but there are some who do complain. I think that is unreasonable because (1) we were told that they were not taking up full time duties immediately (2) The Queen makes the ultimate decisions so if she wants them there, they will be and (3) William is not heir to the throne.

Yes it would be nice to see them more but those 3 points say to me that is not happening immediately (I expect a slow build up) as they settle their private living arrangements (more staff I hope, including a f/t nanny), William learns more about the Duchy and talks with the DoE about taking some stuff of his hands. It takes time (especially the latter as DoE probably doesn't want to let go).

And there is no point in comparing them to CP couples because they are not a CP couple.

I've answered your post Dman - please don't think this is specifically about you. :flowers:

A nanny can't breastfeed.

A nanny can't breastfeed.

But Kate can express milk and chill it to preserve it. The nanny can use that for feedings.

I know that's TMI for a lot of you, but it is true.

Hopefully next year things will start to pick in the case of the Cambridge's being more involved with the "Firm." I think William carrying out his first Investiture on behalf of The Queen. More of that to come next year.

But Kate can express milk and chill it to preserve it. The nanny can use that for feedings.

It's not normal solution. There is no reason to do this. George is Kate's priority as it should be for any mammy.

The nanny is not full time - we shouldn't assume she is readily available.

It's not normal solution. There is no reason to do this. George is Kate's priority as it should be for any mammy.

Um, that's a totally normal solution. I know America is far behind most other developed nations when it comes to maternity leave, but almost all breastfeeding mothers here express milk and leave it for feedings here- because almost all working mothers have to return to work after three months, which is the age George is now.

Let's not act like this is abnormal or that there aren't many mothers of three month old babies who are away from their baby for 8 hours or more at a time.

Unfortunately some babies won't take a bottle if they are breastfeeding, so pumping isn't always an option. Not saying this is the case for George though.

It would have been nice to see them at the Festival of Remembrance, but I don't have a problem with them not attending. Especially since it looks like William has an engagement on that day.

Unfortunately some babies won't take a bottle if they are breastfeeding, so pumping isn't always an option. Not saying this is the case for George though.

At the same time, some babies won't go back to the breast after they're introduced to the bottle. We don't know how George is feeding - be it breast, bottle, or both - and we don't really need to know.

What's is that in the 21st century, it's not really accurate to say that any one way is "normal" and any other way is "abnormal." Some babies take to the breast, others take to the bottle. Some women are able to produce enough milk and don't need to supplement, others don't; some are completely comfortable with breast feeding, others aren't. It's not our place to judge them for the decisions they make regarding that, especially if the baby is clearly well fed (as George is).

Last edited:
I accept some may be disappointed but there are some who do complain. I think that is unreasonable because (1) we were told that they were not taking up full time duties immediately (2) The Queen makes the ultimate decisions so if she wants them there, they will be and (3) William is not heir to the throne.

Yes it would be nice to see them more but those 3 points say to me that is not happening immediately (I expect a slow build up) as they settle their private living arrangements (more staff I hope, including a f/t nanny), William learns more about the Duchy and talks with the DoE about taking some stuff of his hands. It takes time (especially the latter as DoE probably doesn't want to let go).

And there is no point in comparing them to CP couples because they are not a CP couple.

I've answered your post Dman - please don't think this is specifically about you. :flowers:

I'm not complaining,I made an observation that IMO I would have liked them to attend. I accept that it might have seemed as if I was being negative which alot of people on hear read as complaining or that I must hate the Cambridge's and everything they stand for.... i don't. What annoys me is that it appears to me that there isn't really a plan for what to do with the Cambridge's now William hasleft the military. I'm sure (i'd like to hope anyway) that a lot is going on behind the scenes but there seesm to me to a lack of cordination between each royal office. IMO it would have been been better if they announced William was leaving the RAF but look here he is at a state banquet (one not ever single one from now until he dies),here he is at the Remembrance festival (again once not every year). It would help show he is capable of beign King which, yes might be years away andhe have to get htrough Charles' reign first, but it shows he can. The investiture was a step in the right direction but I'd personally like to see more like it. They would both still have plenty of time to work behind the scenes (which I think is important - Sophie Wessex is known to have worked quietly withcharities for alon long time helping them with strategy etc and I appluad that) but William and Kate need to be seen to be doing something and showing the country that they could be king and queen.
This is not an attack on them, its a comment on a discussion, which is what I thought forums were for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom