The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 06:09 AM
Courtier

How much do these "tours" cost the host country, does anyone know? I do know we would be paying for security at least...Not something I would support considering the economic issues everyone is facing here.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:18 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
How much do these "tours" cost the host country, does anyone know? I do know we would be paying for security at least...Not something I would support considering the economic issues everyone is facing here.
All this talk about being cost concious - spending money is the only way to get out of recession. Any security officer is a person who has employment. And to generate employment by spending money is a way to get more taxes.
Any state spends so much money on buerocracy that is quite often not even needed - why should the money not being spent on something that at least amuses the people like Royal visits? It's not as if once these visits never happen again, the money saved would be given back to the people... I'm sure the politicians would find another way to spend it and probably not as nicely as on hosting a visit. (Weaponry etc. comes to mind...)

Old 04-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Majesty

Itinerary for Kate and William’s engagements, 4th-5th April:
Itinerary for Kate and William's engagements, 4th-5th April.

The Earl and Countess of Strathearn to visit homeless shelter and launch sports project in Scotland:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...dp-cFg.twitter

Public viewing areas prepared ahead of arrival of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge in Barrow:
http://www.nwemail.co.uk/home/public...nd-up-1.118665
Old 04-04-2013, 02:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
All this talk about being cost concious - spending money is the only way to get out of recession. Any security officer is a person who has employment. And to generate employment by spending money is a way to get more taxes.
Any state spends so much money on buerocracy that is quite often not even needed - why should the money not being spent on something that at least amuses the people like Royal visits? It's not as if once these visits never happen again, the money saved would be given back to the people... I'm sure the politicians would find another way to spend it and probably not as nicely as on hosting a visit. (Weaponry etc. comes to mind...)
Well Kataryn, it is MY country and MY money we are talking about and I do not see the investment in this visit. Amusement we get and is paid by those who wish to have it. Eg. concerts, theatre,etc. Ellen was here recently and it was paid by sponsors, not tax payers like myself...and I like her show.

Our security people are presently engaged with other work and are generally sourced out of that necessary work to look after royals - not a good investment in my opinion. Considering they no longer draw the crows like Ellen or Oprah (when she was last here), one cannot argue that it is entertainment for the masses, can one?

Spending money for the heck of it and because the government will find other ways of spending it does not justify paying for their visit.

Someone please present a better argument for this expenditure. Having said that, If the Queen was the one paying, they are most welcome!
Old 04-04-2013, 03:55 AM
Courtier

Visit to Scotland

Kate Middleton & Prince William To Visit Homeless Shelter In Scotland | Look

William and Kate begin two-day tour of Scotland | Herald Scotland
Old 04-04-2013, 04:28 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post

Spending money for the heck of it and because the government will find other ways of spending it does not justify paying for their visit.

Someone please present a better argument for this expenditure. Having said that, If the Queen was the one paying, they are most welcome!
Okay, I rest my case. But somehow it galls me when I hear all this "taxpayer"-talk. Just imagine: I live in Bavaria. This is a Federal State of Germany and one of the three Federal States who pay tax money to the other 14 who don't earn as much in taxes. Within Europe, Germany pays the most to the EU - to give you an idea, there's a statistic from 2009...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...aenger2009.png

So in a way our little Federal state provides through our taxes for the whole of the EU. To not getting crazy about that, I tend to not to go into a discussion about the sense of taxes and how they are spend but take the part of it that delights me and forget about the rest...
Old 04-04-2013, 06:15 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Representative – The Netherlands

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal #royal #William & #Kate - known as Earl and Countess of Strathearn while in Scotland - due to arrive at Emirates Arena in #Glasgow soonis

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal #royal #William and #Kate will tour the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome as well as athletics stadium & see other sports demos
Old 04-04-2013, 06:24 AM
Majesty

Live Coverage:
Reuters Live Stream
Old 04-04-2013, 07:02 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal #royal #Kate arrives wearing tartan pic.twitter.com/v2kfiO4Cd3

Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror William and Kate arrive in Glasgow - poor light http://lockerz.com/s/288910612

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal #royal #Kate walks up into the Emirates stadium #Glasgow pic.twitter.com/R0eXAGymoY
Old 04-04-2013, 07:05 AM
Majesty

Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror 11m
William and Kate flew commercially from London this morning to Glasgow airport
Old 04-04-2013, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Here is the first clear picture from gettyimages

Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image
Old 04-04-2013, 08:03 AM
Courtier
Royal Blogger

Getty Images: Cerca - Getty Images IT: GBR: The Earl And Countess Of Strathearn Visit Scotland

Hello: Kate and William arrive in Scotland ** PPE Agency

Daily Mail: Kate's a blooming good sport! Duchess of Cambridge wraps up in a tartan coat as she joins William on visit to stadium in Glasgow
Old 04-04-2013, 08:06 AM
Nobility

I was hoping for a red tartan,and why was she covering her belly again?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:13 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatharine View Post
.......and why was she covering her belly again?
Did you want it exposed to the elements?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:22 AM
Royal Highness

Seems they changed the title of the article in the Daily Mail: they talk about her legs but show no pic of Catherine showing them... Funny...
Old 04-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Did you want it exposed to the elements?
No, waiting for indoor pics where we can see that Prince she is carrying
Old 04-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Royal Highness

The Earl And Countess Of Strathearn Visit Scotland - Pictures - Zimbio
Old 04-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Nobility

She looks pregnant
Face beautifully filled out, pregnancy agrees with her
Old 04-04-2013, 12:28 PM
Majesty

A Speech by HRH The Duke of Cambridge at the Donald Dewar Leisure Centre, Glasgow:
https://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/med...centre-glasgow
Old 04-04-2013, 12:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Live: Kate Middleton and Prince William visit homeless shelter and launch sports project in Scotland - Mirror Online

Run through of the entire day, more info on the baby and it focuses more on the charities than the clothes. About time!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Closed Thread