The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 12:46 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
That was a dreadful article by someone looking to criticize...
have to agree.
My parents have been in this situation losing their son when he was 23. Each family and person is different in how they cope with this type of tragedy. In regards to the couple and the charity I believe that like all royal visits this was scheduled some time ago. When it was announced that Kate was pregnant and accompanying William, the counselors would have had the opportunity to share the news with the families. The families could then choose to meet with them if they were comfortable with being near an expectant mother. I'm glad to read that the couple had the opportunity to meet with families away from the press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
...but I do think it was a tad callow of William to have Kate with him. This is a perfect example of not thinking things through. A person can't know what it is to lose a child until a person has experienced it. Bad call IMO.
My parents have been through this exact situation and I believe that I can share what they would likely be thinking about this situation. It would be impossible to know what every single grieving parent would be thinking or feeling. The counselors and the Cambridges more than likely discussed how would this be received if Kate were present. The families would have been informed that she was accompanying William. The choice would then be theirs if they were comfortable with meeting an expectant mother. The British royal family has decades of experience in meeting with members of the public in many different situations sometimes it is after a tragedy has occurred. I do believe that the royals and their staff make the effort to ensure a smooth and comfortable event for all who will be present.

Old 03-23-2013, 02:11 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Please point out to me where I have derided or belittled any of you who happen to like Will and Kate.
I totally support this, and I am sorry you received so many personal attacks for simply stating your opinion or making a joke. I too love to have different sides of any argument and look forward to new angles and information that will enlighten. To purposely choose to read or hear takes on my side of opinion is what I call very boring indeed. I mean, what would be the point of participating in any forum?

For those who feel the need to ask anyone not to post here (or suggest anyone's post be ignored) because their opinions are not in line with their own, is it not they who need to join a "fan" site? Or is it that this site should more appropriately be called The Royal Fansite?

Old 03-23-2013, 02:47 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
I totally support this, and I am sorry you received so many personal attacks for simply stating your opinion or making a joke...
There's a difference between criticism and character assassination. It is one thing to state that you disapprove of how William and Kate have structured their schedule and that you think they should do more royal duties. It is quite another to suggest they exploited someone else's tragedy for personal publicity in a way that was hurtful to the people involved, especially when it ignores the fact that the parents chose to participate and the meeting was private.

It is also never acceptable to make fun of how any human being chooses to deal with the death of their parent and it is quite distasteful to mock them for speaking about their loss publicly.

Such criticism steps over the boundaries of good taste, and exhibits a disdain that distracts from the conversation.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm coming in late to all this, but I just wanted to say how surprised and disappointed I am to see the way Gracie has been attacked for stating her opinions.

I actually thought the Whalan article made some good points. I thought it was quite inappropriate for William to be equating the death of his mother with the loss of a child, and poor taste to take a pregnant wife to a child bereavement centre.

This is a discussion forum, after all, not a fan site.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:38 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post

I actually thought the Whalan article made some good points. I thought it was quite inappropriate for William to be equating the death of his mother with the loss of a child, and poor taste to take a pregnant wife to a child bereavement centre.
I agree with you on this, however personally I've been afraid to state my opinion.

Quote:
Sometimes I don't think you can tell the difference.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:53 AM
Nobility

Roslyn: Again, why should it be bad taste? It was a scheduled visit - everybody new who was to be there. Everybody knows Kate is pregnant.

It is their royal duty to care for the sick and destitute and bereaved people in their country - in no other context anyone asked them to be destitute and sick and bereaved themselves. Where is the difference? You do NOT have to know a specific tragedy by own experience to be compassionate and feeling.

AFAIK Diana had no HIV and had not cancer - but still everybody lauded her for her visits, she did not loose a limb by landmines etc.

I am not blind, their are no blind people in my family but still I support and help the blind people institute where I live ... And you know what? Those blind people do not feel it is bad taste on my part, that I still have my eyesight; they do not feel that s.o. who takes an interest in them, has to share their affliction.

Do I have to be hungry to feed the hungry? Do I have to be homosexual to ask for same rights? Do I have to be black to ask for respectful treatment of ALL human kind? Do I have to be a woman to be a feminist?
Old 03-23-2013, 06:01 AM
Nobility

Quote:
I thought it was quite inappropriate for William to be equating the death of his mother with the loss of a child, and poor taste to take a pregnant wife to a child bereavement centre.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen
I agree with you on this, however personally I've been afraid to state my opinion.
I'm scratching my head over your statements and cannot follow your logic.

The stated purpose of Child Bereavement UK is for support when a child grieves or when a child dies.

Here is a direct quote from their website:
Quote:
Child Bereavement UK believes that all families should have access to the support and information they need when a child grieves or when a child dies.
Examples given on Child Bereavement UK's website of when a child would grieve include if their mother, father, sister, brother or even a beloved grandparent died. If any of these events happened in a child's life, they would be eligible for the support and services of Child Bereavement UK.

William was not equating the death of his mother with the loss of a child. He was saying that he grieved when his mother died - one of the two stated purposes for the existence of Child Bereavement UK.

And what would happen if, say, a child was bereaved by the loss of a sibling and that child's mother was pregnant at the time? Are you suggesting that child's mother be banned from the premises of Child Bereavement UK because she was pregnant?
Old 03-23-2013, 06:25 AM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

I didn't see many attack Gracie. But I did see many debate her opinions. If you're going to post on a forum, you have to be prepared to get your ideas/opinions challenged

Quote:
I'm coming in late to all this, but I just wanted to say how surprised and disappointed I am to see the way Gracie has been attacked for stating her opinions.

Why was it in poor taste to take Kate to the Child Bereavement headquarters? It's not like William and Kate popped in unannounced. These visits are months in the making. Therefore anyone William and Kate met during this visit, would have known well in advance that they were going to be there and they would have had a choice about meeting them.

Also, I don't believe William was equating losing a child to losing a parent. The group he and Kate were privately introduced to, meet once a month to discuss issues around grief. So when William told them that he had been, "in similar circumstances," he was obviously talking about the grieving process.

I think one of the founders of the organizations said it best: "Grief, in its many forms, is one of the most painful experiences that anyone can suffer..."
Old 03-23-2013, 06:27 AM
Nobility

It might help to know the purpose of the charity before making criticisms of it's patrons. William certainly did nothing wrong in mentioning that he had also lost his mother when he was a child.

Child Bereavement UK ... Child Bereavement UK :

"The death of a parent, brother or sister; miscarriage or still birth; the loss of a baby or child of any age; these life-shattering events can plunge anyone into a devastating world of grief.
Child Bereavement UK believes that all families should have access to the support and information they need when a child grieves or when a child dies."

It would also help to thoroughly read posts before responding to them. AfricanAUSSIE, Sister Morphine never said that she was putting anyone on "ignore". As a matter of fact, if I remember correctly, she specifically said she has no intention of doing so.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:31 AM
Serene Highness

Here is what I find troubling about this visit; as far as I am aware, Will became patron of this charity in 2009. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this is his FIRST visit to the charity (and please, actually correct me if I am wrong) He makes this visit at a time when public opinion about him is falling - he and Kate are being called out on their commitment to the BRF, on their vacation schedule, on Kate's downtime. It is obvious from the visit and the quotes of conversation that this was all introductory; comments on yummy brownies, etc. I've never seen public opinion regarding him this low. As far as I am aware this week is virtually his first week of royal duties since the solitary unveiling of Kate's portrait in January. So in he pops to one of the most serious charities in which he is patron.

If someone could please point out to me how long they spent inside the center I would appreciate it. But given what I am aware of: 1) first visit, 2) the tenor of the commentary and conversation, and 3) the length of the visit, this is nothing more than a photo op. And to use such an organization as a photo op, even if invited and welcomed by the charity, is disgusting. I'm guessing this charity has invited him several times in the four years that he has decided to become its patron, but as far as I am aware this is his first visit - again, correct me if I am wrong. If he has visited before, and has actually worked inside of it, the tenor of the visit would be completely different, IMO.

I don't care what charity a person decides to become patron of, however noble the cause - if you don't spend time with the charity, you are using the charity for self-aggrandizement. It might be a mutual use, but the benefit to William in this instance is far greater to me than any benefit he gives to the charity.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:04 AM
Courtier

I love how some people on here read something and totally misinterpret it.

SisterMorphine NEVER wrote anything about adding anyone to her ignore list or encouraging anyone to ignore another poster. She DID write that for her it would be best not to reply to some posts. There is huge difference between both statements.

I don't have a problem with people's opinions not being the same as mine. I do get sick of having to read the same drivel over and over and over again. We all know Gracie and Kitty don't like W&K. A lot of us are wondering why they even bother reading threads related to W&K.

My mother told me that if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. Perhaps we ALL should do that.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Nobility

A lot of what you say is guessing on your part. Checking first to make sure you're accurate would prevent people from correcting you. Without doing much searching, I find that William has had several engagements on behalf of this particular charity. From the website:

"The Prince attended the launch of the 'Remember on Mother’s Day' campaign at London’s Sladmore Contemporary Art Gallery on Thursday 12th March, where his patronage was announced. He made a speech and had private meetings with bereaved families who have been supported by the charity.

Since then, the Duke of Cambridge has attended a number of events for us:"

Child Bereavement UK > About Us > HRH The Duke of Cambridge KG, KT

There is a list of engagements at that link if you'd care to peruse it. If you don't like the Cambridges, that's fine. We don't all like the same things or the same people. But if you don't like them because of what you imagine they do or don't do, say or don't say, maybe that's best not told to people who can prove otherwise.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess of Durham View Post
I love how some people on here read something and totally misinterpret it.

SisterMorphine NEVER wrote anything about adding anyone to her ignore list or encouraging anyone to ignore another poster. She DID write that for her it would be best not to reply to some posts. There is huge difference between both statements.
You don't understand - it's much better for some people to play the victim and act like they've been wronged than admit that maybe they said something they shouldn't have. No, I didn't tell anyone to put her on their ignore lists, no I didn't tell her to eff off, in fact I said quite specifically that NO ONE told her that, however what I did say is that rather than engage in pointless, futile bickering and arguing with her, it would be best not to respond to it. What that means is, if you don't like her, don't engage her. Don't start arguments, don't argue back. Just move on.

How is that in anyway telling the entirety of this forum to ignore her?
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 03-23-2013, 10:15 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
...Checking first to make sure you're accurate would prevent people from correcting you. Without doing much searching, I find that William has had several engagements on behalf of this particular charity. From the website:.

Since then, the Duke of Cambridge has attended a number of events for us:"
Thank you for showing me that, Cinrit, I will read it, and evaluate it. Obviously I was wrong regarding his overall involvement with the charity.

I still think his PR needs a good boost, whether it is in fact him or his PR.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
...Checking first to make sure you're accurate would prevent people from correcting you...
Child Bereavement UK > About Us > HRH The Duke of Cambridge KG, KT...
Great link Cinrit. What I like is the way William brings his patronages together. The Hedge Fund Women using their clout to bring additional funds to a cause such as this is great. Thank you.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-23-2013, 10:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
...Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this is his FIRST visit to the charity..
This is definitely NOT William's first visit to this particular charity since he was made patron. His first visit was actually in 2009 just after he was named as patron and on that occasion he made a lovely and poignant speech about a child never being able to say the word "Mummy" again and a mother never hearing it. It well and truly stuck in my mind. He has made other visits, including fundraising initiatives. (you can always trawl through the Court Circular for the past 4 years to find out!) There was at least one charity polo
match in the past few years that raised money for this charity.

I don't know where you get this idea that William's popularity is at all this low? Opinion polls consistently rate him highly and both he and Kate attract reasonable crowds (considering it's still freezing in the UK at the moment for people to stand outdoors!) when they make public appearances. Using online tabloid newspaper stories to support the theory that W & K are unpopular isn't an indication of the reality. Online news outlets have a readership that's mainly foreign based, that's the beauty of the internet. Locals can always buy a paper to read on their daily commute.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
One thing has become clear to me. All of us who read this thread and Ms. Whalan's article are now more informed as to what Child Bereavement UK is and what it does and what it is there for.

Nice Nofret stated in a previous post "It is their royal duty to care for the sick and destitute and bereaved people in their country - in no other context anyone asked them to be destitute and sick and bereaved themselves. Where is the difference? You do NOT have to know a specific tragedy by own experience to be compassionate and feeling." I'd like to amend that a bit and state that is very well could have been that William and Kate and Harry as part time royals could have very well opted out for "safe" patronages such as "The Tesco Trust for Organic Foods" or "The National Zoo Fund for the protection of the spotted field mouse". These three royals chose what patronages they stand behind and patronages by the royals are issues that we don't commonly hear of in day to day life. Homelessness, support for our wounded warriors, HIV in children in Lesotho (did anyone really know Lesotho existed even before Harry's involvement in Sentabale? I didnt.) Since their marriage, Kate hand picked out the issues of addiction, children's hosptice and fittingly to tag along with it, child bereavement along with interests in art and scouting. Although these royals do keep up on their patronages and work behind the scenes with the organizers, their main focus is to create public awareness of what these patronages are doing and bump up donations so the folks that actually do the work have the means which to do it with. An example is how quickly the EACH bracelets sold out because Kate wore one.

The fact that Kate visited with William while pregnant to me was not some big kind of a faux pas. Just because she is royal and maybe has privileges and opportunities that most of us don't, it doesn't guarantee that at some time in her life, what other parents and children are going through won't be her in the future. I'm sure that William and Harry never expected to lose their mother at such a young age and I feel that perhaps because they did, they can feel empathy for what other people are going through losing family members close to them. When we lose someone close to us, its often the case that we feel alone in our grief but with awareness that there are charities and patronages such as EACH and Child Bereavement gets the word out there that no one has to be alone during troubled times.

Personally I applaud these young royals for their choices in what they support and work for and through watching their involvement over the years, I don't see any indication that there is any reason to believe it is for self gratification or for publicity reasons. Awareness is something they can call attention to. Older folks tend to buy things "sponsored" by people they know and recognize such as Alex Trebek (Jeopardy game show) and Henry Winkler (cool Fonz). Sports fans listen to Michael Jordan and football stars. Children growing up learn from Barney and Big Bird. We all seem to pay more attention to something if someone we recognize is drawing attention to it.

These are my views and how I see it. I don't expect everyone under the sun to see it my way. I do think that the article written by Ms. Whalan was in poor taste but that's just me.

Gracie: I will not ignore you. I need my daily dose of giraffeness and do admire them for the ability to stick their neck out every once in a while.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Gentry

Quote:
...Without doing much searching, I find that William has had several engagements on behalf of this particular charity.
Thanks! It was an enlightening read. I also managed to look more into the website and under the section "press release", I found this:

Young People on Mountain Rescue Challenge

This is another good example of the good work the Princes' and Kate charity foundation has done. They do care, even when there is no media presence!
Old 03-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
... I believe this is his FIRST visit to the charity...
As others have already pointed out, this isn't his first visit to the charity.

Royal engagements take a while to plan, so this wasn't just put together at the last minute (to help combat any negative press). This engagement would have been at least a month or two in the making.

As for the brownie comments, I don't see why it's a big deal. William and Kate complimented Mary on her recipes and on the the cake she made for the visit. It was a 20 second snippet in a 5 minute conversation. If you look at video of their conversation (I believe it's been posted), you'll see that the bulk of it focused on the charity. The media is the one that choose to highlight the brownie/cake comments.

And is public opinion on him low? I've not heard that.

Thanks for the links, cinrit and Hollie.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:08 PM
Commoner

Will is losing popularity? According to who? Forums and the Daily Mail comment section? Truly curious because this is the first i am hearing about it.