Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 5: March-December 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ipsos Mori's poll from May 2012 shows 51% of Britons think Charles should not give up his right to be the next monarch in favour of William, while 40% think he should. That was compared to 47% and 46% in their poll just before the royal wedding. It's a sign of Charles's growing popularity, as opposed to a fall in William's popularity.

The Ipsos polls are so interesting because they've been doing the same polls (i.e. with the exact same questions) every year since 1993, so trends are really easy to spot. The British people are increasingly confident that the monarchy will last for at least another 50 years, which I think suggests a confidence in the next two monarchs (likely Charles and William) to do a good job.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you EIIR - that's the one I was thinking of - but I'm sure that the numbers had swapped. I agree Charles and Camilla are growing in popularity.

Re: the counts of appearances
Iluvbertie reigns on this issue, but I will offer an opinion.
There is no long term trending increase at this point. Since Kate's illness, they are off the feed a bit. Get over it.
You can't shake hands while you are puking your guts out. You could, but people would not enjoy it.
And since Wills is still WORKING FULL TIME as a rescue helicopter captain, he NEEDS TO BE GIVEN A FREE PASS. I dare any of you out there to work 24/48/72 hour on call rescue shifts to be able to commit to public appearances the hour after a shift is over. Sometimes it could work - but the rest of the time you would drag your sorry body (wearing glasses rather than contacts) to the venue and try to do your best.

People have limits to their abilities. Even Royals. Kate got soaked to the bone in the snow on Friday. Did no one appreciate that? She could have said, "15 minutes guys - it's too cold and I have a heir on board." But no, she had fun with the peolpe that were there to be scouts, have fun and see her.

I think the argument that the Cambridges (an to a lesser extent Harry) don't do enough is based on the fact that we don't see them often. Catherine was obviously removed from public view when she was ill, and William is removed from public view when he's working (and rightfully so). As such, we only see them if they're either on engagements or on vacation - giving the illusion that they don't do much.

People also seem to forget that they're the current monarchy's second generation. Typically, the second generation does a lot less. Even during the reign of Victoria, when her grandchildren were of a similar age to the Cambridges, they did less. It was said of George V that "he may be alright as a midshipman and a wise old king, but when he was Duke of York... he did nothing at all but kill [shoot] animals and stick in stamps."

It's also worth remembering that William and Catherine will be working for their entire lives. They live kind of the reverse of the rest of the population- their work will intensify as they age, and then they'll work as long as they live.

It's only right that they should get to do less right now- when Charles is on the throne they'll probably be doing as many engagements as he does right now, and that's an incredible workload.

@RoyalReporter: Looks like Australia and NZ must wait another year: palace officials say William and Kate are unlikely to travel overseas this year.

Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror 6h
Kate and William will be hanging out in Anglesey this week while he continues his Search and Rescue work. More royal visits next week

Where will they spend Easter this year? Suggestions

william and catherine will go to easter in windsor with the queen?

william and catherine will go to easter in windsor with the queen?

This is very unlikely. But perhaps they will surprise us. There are rumours they are spending Easter in Angelsey or Scotland.

@RoyalReporter: Looks like Australia and NZ must wait another year: palace officials say William and Kate are unlikely to travel overseas this year.

This seems obvious to me; I don't expect the mother of an infant to be asked to travel overseas, esp. to Australia unless such were absolutely necessary.

Regarding Will and Kate's work and the work we don't see - some very good points. I think that the Palace should make Will's actual work schedule known, and certain tidbits - documentaries, YouTube videos on the Royal Channel, BBC segments, whatever, should be spent driving home these points. Why their PR team does not get this information out as well as some interested posters here is really beyond me. I don't understand it at all. In the information age when all sorts of things can be posted online, and all sorts of commentary can be posted, this sort of information seems vital to me. Time for the Palace to catch up, IMO.

I don't think we'll see William's work schedule for security and privacy reasons. Remember half the reason William took up working in the military was to get some privacy and normality which cant really be achieved when any member of the public could turn up to watch you arrive for work.

This seems obvious to me; I don't expect the mother of an infant to be asked to travel overseas, esp. to Australia unless such were absolutely necessary.

Regarding Will and Kate's work and the work we don't see - some very good points. I think that the Palace should make Will's actual work schedule known, and certain tidbits - documentaries, YouTube videos on the Royal Channel, BBC segments, whatever, should be spent driving home these points. Why their PR team does not get this information out as well as some interested posters here is really beyond me. I don't understand it at all. In the information age when all sorts of things can be posted online, and all sorts of commentary can be posted, this sort of information seems vital to me. Time for the Palace to catch up, IMO.
Quite honestly I believe that the BRF has been focused on boosting certain individual's and their overall popularity since the mid-nineties. IMHO the first signs that the public's view was shifting back to a more positive one was the interest in the Queen Mother's passing and funeral. Next the Queen herself had a boost with her Golden Jubilee which has continued through to the Diamond Jubilee.

The nagging concern though was Charles and Camilla. By keeping the focus upon the Queen, DoE and their Children it has kept some of the remarks about William succeeding the Queen off the table. With the royal grandchildren busy with military careers and on a "part time" list then there is a greater opportunity to keep a positive focus on Charles and Camilla as they are the next ones in line. I honestly believe that rehabilitating Charles and Camilla had to take precedence over William and Kate's public image for now.

Quite honestly if this is the plan that the "Way Ahead" group has laid out then it is working. :)

They did put a great deal of focus on Charles & Camilla for awhile. Now the focus is not only on Charles & Camilla but with William & Catherine and Harry. With The Queen making William Knight of The Garter, Royal Colonel of the Irish Guards, Knight of the Thistle, Personal Aide-de-Camp, and now Catherine is accompanying Her Majesty on official engagements.

I remember it was being said that palace officials only wanted The Queen to be center of attention during her Diamond Jubilee year but we saw something different. The 'Way Ahead Group' (which is made up of The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh, Charles & Camilla, William & Catherine, Harry and their advisors) has really been trying to put forward a smarter and leaner face for the Monarchy.

They did put a great deal of focus on Charles & Camilla for awhile. Now the focus is not only on Charles & Camilla but with William & Catherine and Harry. With The Queen making William Knight of The Garter, Royal Colonel of the Irish Guards, Knight of the Thistle, Personal Aide-de-Camp, and now Catherine is accompanying Her Majesty on official engagements.

I remember it was being said that palace officials only wanted The Queen to be center of attention during her Diamond Jubilee year but we saw something different. The 'Way Ahead Group' (which is made up of The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh, Charles & Camilla, William & Catherine, Harry and their advisors) has really been trying to put forward a smarter and leaner face for the Monarchy.
Anne, Andrew and Edward along with the private secretaries for the senior royals ( HM, DoE, PoW) are also members of the group.

William has received the honors that are due to his place in the line of succession, but IMVHO the BRF rightly keeps the focus upon HM and her immediate successor the PoW. I believe this gently reminds the public that there are no plans to "skip" a generation and place William ahead of his father.

Pre royal wedding, Clarence House made a big push to boost up Camilla, which I think worked. I didn't see any nasty comments like How dare Camilla pose in Diana's son's wedding picture and stuff like that. Kate got an intro to royal life with the North American tour and then the couple was allowed to fade back out of the spotlight in wales. Last year, we saw Kate step away from William and do engagements on her own. Being the julibee year, the main focus was on the queen but the young royals were everywhere during the Olympics. This year got messed up with Kate being so sick. Until she was better, she couldn't do public engagements. It seems now that they are trying to fit in as much engagements in as possible up to mid June.

I think that William is going to leave the military. All the signs point to it, the move to bigger KP apt, the expanded staff, Norfolk house. The army is not a viable solution since they won't put him in the frontlines. I am thinking an announcement around their wedding annv. - William and Kate full time royals in the fall. I don't think that they will be in the Charles or Anne level of engagements due to the baby but significantly more. William has spent most of his time in 2013 getting as much flying in as he can before he leaves. Kate has done more engagements than William and Harry combined in 2013 . One the baby comes she probably out of sight for a couple of months. Cambridges tour Australia and NZ in early 2014 since it will be summer then.

How much do these "tours" cost the host country, does anyone know? I do know we would be paying for security at least...Not something I would support considering the economic issues everyone is facing here.:ermm:

How much do these "tours" cost the host country, does anyone know? I do know we would be paying for security at least...Not something I would support considering the economic issues everyone is facing here.:ermm:

All this talk about being cost concious - spending money is the only way to get out of recession. Any security officer is a person who has employment. And to generate employment by spending money is a way to get more taxes.
Any state spends so much money on buerocracy that is quite often not even needed - why should the money not being spent on something that at least amuses the people like Royal visits? It's not as if once these visits never happen again, the money saved would be given back to the people... I'm sure the politicians would find another way to spend it and probably not as nicely as on hosting a visit. (Weaponry etc. comes to mind...)

Last edited:
All this talk about being cost concious - spending money is the only way to get out of recession. Any security officer is a person who has employment. And to generate employment by spending money is a way to get more taxes.
Any state spends so much money on buerocracy that is quite often not even needed - why should the money not being spent on something that at least amuses the people like Royal visits? It's not as if once these visits never happen again, the money saved would be given back to the people... I'm sure the politicians would find another way to spend it and probably not as nicely as on hosting a visit. (Weaponry etc. comes to mind...)

Well Kataryn, it is MY country and MY money we are talking about and I do not see the investment in this visit. Amusement we get and is paid by those who wish to have it. Eg. concerts, theatre,etc. Ellen was here recently and it was paid by sponsors, not tax payers like myself...and I like her show.

Our security people are presently engaged with other work and are generally sourced out of that necessary work to look after royals - not a good investment in my opinion. Considering they no longer draw the crows like Ellen or Oprah (when she was last here), one cannot argue that it is entertainment for the masses, can one?

Spending money for the heck of it and because the government will find other ways of spending it does not justify paying for their visit.

Someone please present a better argument for this expenditure. Having said that, If the Queen was the one paying, they are most welcome!:flowers:

Spending money for the heck of it and because the government will find other ways of spending it does not justify paying for their visit.

Someone please present a better argument for this expenditure. Having said that, If the Queen was the one paying, they are most welcome!:flowers:

Okay, I rest my case. But somehow it galls me when I hear all this "taxpayer"-talk. Just imagine: I live in Bavaria. This is a Federal State of Germany and one of the three Federal States who pay tax money to the other 14 who don't earn as much in taxes. Within Europe, Germany pays the most to the EU - to give you an idea, there's a statistic from 2009...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...09.png/400px-Nettozahlerundempfaenger2009.png

So in a way our little Federal state provides through our taxes for the whole of the EU. To not getting crazy about that, I tend to not to go into a discussion about the sense of taxes and how they are spend but take the part of it that delights me and forget about the rest...:flowers:

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal #royal #William & #Kate - known as Earl and Countess of Strathearn while in Scotland - due to arrive at Emirates Arena in #Glasgow soonis

Paul Harrison ‏@SkyNewsRoyal #royal #William and #Kate will tour the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome as well as athletics stadium & see other sports demos

Victoria Murphy ‏@QueenVicMirror 11m
William and Kate flew commercially from London this morning to Glasgow airport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom