William, Catherine and Family: Annual Holiday to Mustique (2012-2015, 2018-2019)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maxima's father is not Maxima, but both family members have done their best to avoid the issue with the press. CP's picked a girlfriend, we've heard about it once maybe twice over here in the UK. People don't seem that fussed about it anymore.

Continental royals don't seem to have that many scandals, and seem to deal with them very well in regards to the press.
Foreign Royals are less famous and their scandals are less know apart from of course the King of Spain Elephant hunting. Prince Harry falling out a nightclub is mild compared to that. ;)

Foreign Royals are less famous and their scandals are less know apart from of course the King of Spain Elephant hunting. Prince Harry falling out a nightclub is mild compared to that. ;)

Thank you. I admire Juan Carlos, but that was deplorable.

I think it's extremely unfair that the other royals can arrange photo calls on their vacations and not be bothered after but the British can't be left in private after their press photo calls. I just think the British royals are treated so unfairly on a great deal of things. No wonder their attitude with the press is so bad.

I think the British royals should be allowed to breath and relax. Not have everyone breathing down their throats and dancing on their tonsils all the time. The royals work very hard on serving the people. Travel all over the country supporting all kinds of charities, shaking countless hands, making endless speeches, unveiling tons of plaques and posing for hundreds of pictures. They should be allowed their downtime without much fuss or intrusion. If the others European royals are allowed to do it without all the hoopla, then so should the British royals.

Last edited:
Apparently the new pics of William and Kate in Mustique were taken Friday, 8th Feb

I fear they will spread everywhere. I feel sorry for them

Other European royals have their share of scandals. The reason why it's not reported on more (at least in the US), is because they don't interest many here. They may get a blurb on the news when there's a birth/wedding, but generally they're not reported on by the US media.

On the other hand, the BRF gets lots of attention here. I think that's due in part to their scandals, the whole Di and Charles thing, the fact that we share a common language and our historical ties.

So, other European royals can participate in photo shoots and then be left alone, because their is not a high demand for photos of them.

Last edited:
Other European royals have their share of scandals. The problem, is that they just don't interest many here in the US. Other than a blurb on the news when there's a birth/wedding, they're generally not reported on.

On the other hand, the BRF gets lots of attention here. I think that's due in part to their scandals, the whole Di and Charles thing, the fact that we share a common language and our historical ties.

I had not thought of the common language angle, thank you, that is interesting!:flowers:

I think we also have to remember that the press often try to make the stories about the British royals out to be more than it really is and blow things out of proportion. Harry getting tipsy at a nightclub really isn't that bad but the British press will make it seem like Harry committed a crime by getting tipsy. The Duchess of Cambridge's official portrait was a work of art, wasn't suppose to be perfect but the British press made it seem like the artist painted a monster or something. The press is just hard on the British royals.

:previous:
I find our press a bit over dramatic. The press here seem to make scandals out of nothing. :whistling:

I find our press a bit over dramatic. The press here seem to make scandals out of nothing. :whistling:

They need things to write about and stretch until it can't be stretched anymore. I also think the press do a lot of that just to pluck the royals nerves.

Not to say the royals are always innocent but a great deal of the press stories make no sense.

The only staged photosessions I've seen were on Ski holidays (last one being 2006?) and when the boys went to school...

They're not interested because continental royal families, most of them anyway, manage to keep their noses away from anything untoward.

In the first paragraph, you're making EIIR's argument.

In the second, I'd have to disagree with your argument. Carl Gustaf and strip clubs? Albert of Monaco and his various 'babygate's? There have been plenty of scandals, but that's not the point. The intl press doesn't pay as much attention to the continental royals because they are from tiny countries, and not one of the world's superpowers from the last two centuries.

Yeah because that's the only reason William and Henry hate the press. :lol:

The only staged photosessions I've seen were on Ski holidays (last one being 2006?) and when the boys went to school. In 30 years, where both boys went from school to further education/military and all we saw were them falling out of clubs at 3am almost every weekend. I'd think William and Henry are the ones who need a bit of good press on their side.

Yes the press new about Henry's deployment and that Vegas was a few days before, however do you really expect national newspapers to forgo the opportunity to print pictures of a naked heir to throne? Henry dug his own press loving whole.

Other royal couples can have their photosessions which then allow them holiday privacy because the overseas press isn't interested in them is correct. They're not interested because continental royal families, most of them anyway, manage to keep their noses away from anything untoward.

I didn't say that was the only reason they hate the press. After being the victims of illegal phone-tapping by the press, not to mention their parents' treatment at the hands of the press, they have more than enough reason to see the press for what they are.

The Harry issue came after a period of relative good relations with the press. Only The Sun felt that those pictures should be printed. The other newspapers chose not to do so, taking everything else into consideration. Public perception of that incident changed totally when it was revealed that Harry had gone to Afghan, which the papers knew about well before Vegas. I think we can cut a young man heading into a hellhole within days, putting his life on the line for our safety and security, a little bit of slack, prince or not.

William gave pre-arranged photo shoots at St. Andrews. Charles and the boys did the same at Balmoral. It happened for several years while they were on their ski holidays. The tactic just didn't work. The paps were still trying to get their exclusives. What's the point of arranging and taking part in a photo shoot supposedly in return for privacy when the press don't bother keeping their side of the deal?

It's funny that you think other RFs don't have scandals like the BRF. Most of those royals live in countries where the press just is not so hardcore as ours is. From the King of Sweden and his strip clubs, underworld friends and popsinger mistresses, to the Dutch and acceptance of bribes from Lockheed and their love children, to the Belgian king and his own lovechild, they're no cleaner than the British royals. They've just been lucky to live in countries where the press hasn't gone after them in the way the British press does. That's changing now though as events in Spain demonstrate.

Scandals in the BRF make headlines everywhere; scandals in other RFs do not.

Last edited:
I didn't say that was the only reason they hate the press. After being the victims of illegal phone-tapping by the press, not to mention their parents' treatment at the hands of the press, they have more than enough reason to see the press for what they are.

The Harry issue came after a period of relative good relations with the press. Only The Sun felt that those pictures should be printed. The other newspapers chose not to do so, taking everything else into consideration. Public perception of that incident changed totally when it was revealed that Harry had gone to Afghan, which the papers knew about well before Vegas. I think we can cut a young man heading into a hellhole within days, putting his life on the line for our safety and security, a little bit of slack, prince or not.

William gave pre-arranged photo shoots at St. Andrews. Charles and the boys did the same at Balmoral. It happened for several years while they were on their ski holidays. The tactic just didn't work. The paps were still trying to get their exclusives. What's the point of arranging and taking part in a photo shoot supposedly in return for privacy when the press don't bother keeping their side of the deal?

It's funny that you think other RFs don't have scandals like the BRF. Most of those royals live in countries where the press just is not so hardcore as ours is. From the King of Sweden and his strip clubs, underworld friends and popsinger mistresses, to the Dutch and acceptance of bribes from Lockheed and their love children, to the Belgian king and his own lovechild, they're no cleaner than the British royals. They've just been lucky to live in countries where the press hasn't gone after them in the way the British press does. That's changing now though as events in Spain demonstrate.

Scandals in the BRF make headlines everywhere; scandals in other RFs do not.

Well said

The events most seems to forgot is Juan Carlos and the event surrounding his older brother death

Good post - thank you.

I think that all the royals the world over need to take into account what impacts on their people. 10 years ago no would have worried about the King of Spain going hunting but when 25% of the population out of work, it doesn't look good. W&C going on hols in not a problem - £19k a week is a major problem. They need to understand what the problems are and currently a number of royals do not.

I know that there have been issues in the past re negotiating with the press but the 1 different event that made me think it might be possible and therefore at least worth the conversation is the Leveson enquiry in the UK. That has made the media here stop and think. There are obviously (from posts today) issues of safety building in the states.

It might not work but surely its worth a try? At the very least, when the BRF goes after a pap or newspaper owner, they can say they tried.

Admittedly I feel that this has a Dunkirk, Alamo, last stand feel about it but, hell, I'd at least try.

Code:
Robert Jobson ‏@theroyaleditor Kate bump pics: It is unclear whether photographer was on Mustique or if new snaps were taken from a boat offshore.
Robert Jobson ‏@theroyaleditor
Kate bump pics: Royal aide said: “This is unfortunate. They get absolutely no privacy whatsoever.”
Kate "bump" pics: Palace officials described that intrusion as “grotesque and totally unjustifiable”.
Kate bump pics: This was surely inevitable from the moment they stepped onto the plane to Mustique? It is unfair, but paps supply a market.

Hi ghost_night554,

It's Monday morning here in Sydney, and I had the TV on and just realised your Robert Jobson is the Royal Correspondant for one of our channels here.

During a couple of crosses to London, Rob spoke about the Mustique photos and said William would be furious and Catherine heart-broken. Quoted a Royal spokesperson calling it a "grotesque invasion".

He said the British newpapers would not publish them, but they would still be seen there online after they are brought and published elsewhere.

He said the current price was in the region of $400,000 (Australian).

He explained the beaches of Mustique are public even though the island is private.

He spoke as though they were taken from a boat by paparazzo, rather than by fellow holiday-makers taking phone photos. (Seems they are walking in the surf in the pictures.)

Rob made the point that it is inevitable that they will be subjected to these types of photos if they take these types of holidays, and that is why the Queen holidays at home.

Rob also reported on the reaction to Catherine's letter of condolence being typed, instead of hand-written, and said he had lunch last week with one of Diana's former aides, and that this is something Catherine could learn from.

As an aside - they showed the letter - I couldn't help noticing Catherine had dropped a couple of letters from her signature. Large C, small flat a, strong t and h with a bit of flourish, then e, i and e full stop. No r or n.

As another aside - "Woman's Day" is out this morning reporting on the "spat" between William and his mother-in-law. (Too close, "moving into KP for the birth" etc.)

Even if it is just a flight of fancy by the magazine, this magazine has many readers here in Oz, and as noted by other posters, perception is everything.

Cheers Everyone, Sun Lion. :sun::sun::sun:

Last edited:
You know Sun Lion, I can't believe people still buy those rubbishy magazines, except to line the budgie's/ cockatoo's cages with.

Reasons for WnH to be wary or the press.

The crap they out their parents through in the 90s
Chasing their mother to death
How the press treated their father and grandmother after Diana died, instigating a mob mentality that forced grieving children to parade in front of said mob.
The phone tapping
Naked pix of Kate in 2011

I would put Harry's naked pix on this list but that was more the fault of some idiot looking for a quick buck.
With all that being said I still don't see either did them being hostile to the press. They do their job smile for the cams when they are required, then go back home and go on with their daily lives.

You know Sun Lion, I can't believe people still buy those rubbishy magazines, except to line the budgie's/ cockatoo's cages with.

Hi Trillian - yes I know.

I grew up at a time in Australia when the women's magazines were the only place to have a bit glamour in life, and they ran proper interviews done by well-respected journalists with Princess Grace, Sophia Loren, Audrey Hepburn etc.

Only marvellous Jackie Onassis didn't give interviews and posed photos by Lord Snowdon etc., but she was also closely followed.

Times have changed though and even the grammar is sometimes shoddy in the articles now, and you never get an actual interview with the actual subject - just "a friend said", "a source close to" etc.

But I know from my own life how many women still buy these magazines here in Australia - not just older women who don't use computers, but so many office girls etc., who want a bit of escapism in their lunch-break. That's why there are now so many magazines I would class as "worse" than Woman's Day and New Idea - really targetting the younger market with celeb stories and photos.

These young women don't know they've missed the golden age when Australia was so isolated and magazines could open up your aspirations - (real aspirations, not aspirations to own a $3,000 handbag.)

Cheers, Sun Lion. :rose:

Last edited:
Reasons for WnH to be wary or the press.

The crap they out their parents through in the 90s
Chasing their mother to death
How the press treated their father and grandmother after Diana died, instigating a mob mentality that forced grieving children to parade in front of said mob.
The phone tapping
Naked pix of Kate in 2011

I don't think that the press can be solely blamed for the mob mentality we saw in action after Diana's death. It was very disturbing, but it has been known before; it's a dark side of human nature. Diana had become larger than life: a sort of goddess, and she was worshipped as such. It was a complicated phenomenon with many contributing factors, but I can't blame the press alone. The press wasn't the reason people started leaving flowers outside KP, and it wasn't the reason people were criticising the RF for staying in Scotland. The press wasn't the reason those people called out to William and Harry when they were doing that walkabout. That was PR exercise on the part of the RF, to appease the mob, and IMO it was appalling to have subjected them to it.

The press photographers only make money because people buy the magazines. I blame "the people" as much as, if not more than, the press. And Diana herself had a lot to do with it, since she played games with the press. She had her pets and initiated contact and manipulated her publicity to a certain extent, and when the relationship turned sour she suffered. Once she'd opened that stable door and that horse could not be put back in.

And she would not have been chased that fatal night if she had not run; there was no need for them to have left that hotel that night.

If William and Kate insist on going to places such as Mustique, they are going to be photographed. The more they complain about it, the more tempting it's going to be to find them and photograph them. It's got a lot to do with the challenge and the thrill of the chase.

I hope William steps back and considers their situation objectively, and to do that he has to look beyond his own experiences as Diana's son. I hope he takes advice and doesn't just dig his heels in and act out of emotion. But he is his mother's son, and Diana wasn't known for taking advice from people who gave advice she didn't like.

Even if it is just a flight of fancy by the magazine, this magazine has many readers here in Oz, and as noted by other posters, perception is everything.

Having said what I wrote above, I am going to have to go out and buy the "Woman's Day" and "New Idea" a bit later on. I don't read the wretched things but I have to buy them for my mother, who believes what she reads in them. I am always embarrassed when I take them to the counter.

Last edited:
I haven't seen a picture either hopefully they won't be posted on the net.

The photos may not be in the Sydney Daily Telegraph today, but they are discussing them.

There is an article in today's DT, talking about the photos. Hope that clears that up.

Last edited:
I have read most of the comments.

What is the big deal??? A family trip to the islands.

I don't recall too many complaints about the Royal family spending the entire month of August in Scotland.

Don't recall too many complaints about the Queens weekends at Windsor Castle instead of working in London.

I could see complaints IF the British taxpayers paid for the vacations. But they didn't.

I read that Prince Harry will get 5 weeks vacation forint 5 months in Afghanistan. I suspect someone will complain about that as well.

I don't think that the press can be solely blamed for the mob mentality we saw in action after Diana's death. It was very disturbing, but it has been known before; it's a dark side of human nature. Diana had become larger than life: a sort of goddess, and she was worshipped as such. It was a complicated phenomenon with many contributing factors, but I can't blame the press alone. The press wasn't the reason people started leaving flowers outside KP, and it wasn't the reason people were criticising the RF for staying in Scotland. The press wasn't the reason those people called out to William and Harry when they were doing that walkabout. That was PR exercise on the part of the RF, to appease the mob, and IMO it was appalling to have subjected them to it.

The press photographers only make money because people buy the magazines. I blame "the people" as much as, if not more than, the press. And Diana herself had a lot to do with it, since she played games with the press. She had her pets and initiated contact and manipulated her publicity to a certain extent, and when the relationship turned sour she suffered. Once she'd opened that stable door and that horse could not be put back in.

And she would not have been chased that fatal night if she had not run; there was no need for them to have left that hotel that night.

If William and Kate insist on going to places such as Mustique, they are going to be photographed. The more they complain about it, the more tempting it's going to be to find them and photograph them. It's got a lot to do with the challenge and the thrill of the chase.

I hope William steps back and considers their situation objectively, and to do that he has to look beyond his own experiences as Diana's son. I hope he takes advice and doesn't just dig his heels in and act out of emotion. But he is his mother's son, and Diana wasn't known for taking advice from people who gave advice she didn't like.

Having said what I wrote above, I am going to have to go out and buy the "Woman's Day" and "New Idea" a bit later on. I don't read the wretched things but I have to buy them for my mother, who believes what she reads in them. I am always embarrassed when I take them to the counter.

Great post and I agree - it's always been a dance between Palace, Press and Public. The public claims to be on the side of the palace, but in large part it's on the side of the press. Actions speak louder than words.

There ARE far greater issues with some of the other royals. The Bourbons come to mind, and there are others. But the BRF is most popular world wide, the most known. I think that the press and public also take a perverse pleasure in getting a rise out of Will and Harry.

The deal is duchess of Cambridge too sick to work but well enough to go on holiday 8 hrs flight away; not perceived as working enough; unlike Harry, has not put life on the line PLUS they are spending £19k a week to stay on the island.

That, in economically difficult times is seen as a "deal". If they had spent some money staying somewhere in the UK there would not have been a problem at all.

I don't recall too many complaints about the Royal family spending the entire month of August in Scotland.

No one is envious of weeks spent in the cold and the wind and the rain of Scotland.

I think the British Press are showing incredible restraint so they get brownie points. :flowers:

Oh gawd please let's go back to talking about the violation of the privacy and not these darn boohoo why did they go on vacation posts.
Heck I wish these pix sous come out to stop this train of convo.
The Mids have been going to Mustique for years; what exactly is there to do there that they like so much?

The Mids have been going to Mustique for years; what exactly is there to do there that they like so much?

Heck.. for all we know with the Middletons going there for years, they could perhaps even have a time share in the place they stay. Do we really know for sure all the little inside details of the "cost" of this holiday even or are we assuming?

Someone offers me a chance to be there instead of here right now and I'm on the first plane out yesterday. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom