William, Catherine and Family: Annual Holiday to Mustique (2012-2015, 2018-2019)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that people are just complaining because Catherine does not work as a full-time Royal, nor does she work at any other profession. This then comes across to the public, who are not necessarily huge followers of the Royal family, that she is lazy and does not do anything thus not "earning her money from taxes". I don't AGREE with this fact, but I can see why the public would think she is lazy. I think that if they are not going to be full-time Royals then Catherine should have considering keeping her job for Jigsaw and earning money. Sophie and Edward were not full time Royals until 2002, and it would have probably been longer had the "sheikh" incident never happened. Of course it was said Sophie was "cashing in on her Royal status" etc. but the public praised her for the fact that she earned her own money, as well as did Royal duties. Why couldn't Catherine have done that? I do not know/understand, but it's part of the many reasons why Catherine has been deemed as "lazy".

Molly2101, Catherine did work before her marriage and she's working now as William's wife and third lady of the land. I think the main problem was that a great deal of people didn't like her job at Party Pieces and deemed it an unfit job for a person that went to university. When she was working at Jigsaw, she was hounded on a regular bases and the paparazzi hounding got to her, so she went to work at Party Pieces. The girl was working but people didn't see her doing it, so they called her lazy and then Katie Nicholl started the phrase 'Waity Katie', which wasn't nice or fair to Catherine.

Members of the royal family are always working. Even when we don't see them on public official engagements, they are always in meetings, going over correspondence with their aides and even having private meetings with their charity officials. They do work a great deal behind the scenes too.

I think it's unfair to call her lazy or even tolerate others calling her lazy when even the palace has said that HRH is getting better and is back to work. She's staying in contact with her charities and is about to pay them an official visit. She's doing what she suppose to do.

Last edited:
You're right, I think line has to be drawn. I never understood this thing of part-time royal. If William wants to concentrate in his army career for a while before taking royal duties, that's fine (I don't think he should do that, but that's another discussion). If Kate wants to be a stay at home wife while he does that, fine. They live in Wales and have their ordinary life there, fine. But they have to define that line, so that we can know exactly what to expect from their royal "performance". Part-time royal is a very ambiguous thing: should we expect royal duties, should we not?

Thank you! Something I've been saying for ages. Before their marriage they should have decided one or the other, not both!

It

And no, people on forums and the Daily mail saying she's lazy does not means that the public at large think she lazy or even care what she does

Well said

Harry, Beatrice, and Eugenie took the same amount of vacation (days) outside of the UK as Will and Kate, but I didn't hear any complain

Nobody ever said we represent the majority of the public, but we do represent a part of it which counts for something.
I think you'll find that Henry, Beatrice and Eugenie get criticised left right and centre for the holidays they take. Henry less so but look at his trip to Vegas. Bea and Eugenie get criticised everytime they're out in fresh air for something.

Last edited:
In the past 12 months they've had 3 vacations. 1 week at a ski resort (after William's six-week stint in the Falklands) 3 days in France, and this trip to Mustique.

IIRC, the ski trip meant they were the only family members missing at the Queen Mother's memorial, the 3 day trip to France was during the Closing Ceremony of the Paralympic Games, of which they were patrons, and now this trip, with it's 8+ hour plane trip comes at a time when we have been told Kate is too ill to do any official engagements.

There may very well be perfectly reasonable explanations for all this, but as I said earlier in the thread, image is very important for Royals (rightly or wrongly) and this simply does not look good. Especially when Kate in particular seems to have a reputation (justified or not) in some quarters of being less than hard-working.

The Queen Mother one was the only one that really bothered me. It was made worse when virtually the whole family show up. Sometimes I think the York Girls are more up to it.

Sigh. I suppose people will still be posting about the Mustique trip long after they return or until something more important comes along, like a new hairdo or dress or bikini bump pic, that will get people even more worked up about.
Even when Catherine does attend an official engagement people rarely post too much about the merits of the organization she is visiting. No its her hair ( she should have worn it up), her clothes (OMG she showed her knees, pass the smelling salts), her shoes (nude heels, ugh) or her jewels (why isnt she wearing a tiara) or her makeup (too heavy) that people are more interested in.

No, they weren't the only ones. Zara and Prince Edward (who funny enough was at the same ski resort attending an engagement), also missed the Queen Mother's memorial.

As for the Paralympics, yes they did miss the closing, but they attended the opening and a number of the events.

Since the palace has announced that Kate is feeling better and will be returning to public duties on the 19th, this trip obviously doesn't come at a time when she is too ill to do public duties.

Last edited:
They weren't patron of the paralympics or even the olympics. They said she was getting better and continue to get better from her HG and has been working with her charity and will have a public engagement on February 19.

The trip last skiing trip last March like the trip to Mustique is a Middleton family tradition.

Did Zara and Peter go to the memorial?

I don't know why people are acting like the palace lied about her being sick when she was hospitalized.

Last edited:
IIRC, the ski trip meant they were the only family members missing at the Queen Mother's memorial, the 3 day trip to France was during the Closing Ceremony of the Paralympic Games, of which they were patrons, and now this trip, with it's 8+ hour plane trip comes at a time when we have been told Kate is too ill to do any official engagements.

There may very well be perfectly reasonable explanations for all this, but as I said earlier in the thread, image is very important for Royals (rightly or wrongly) and this simply does not look good. Especially when Kate in particular seems to have a reputation (justified or not) in some quarters of being less than hard-working.

Well-put!
I honestly don't grudge William and Kate a vacation, and if they had taken a break somewhere in Britain, then nothing would have been said, imo. But Mustique has a reputation as a playground for the wealthy, and with so many of their countrymen struggling to just get by, it looks self-indulgent and heartless for them to go there.

Also, Kate is giving the impression that she's fine to do what she wants to do but her royal engagements...not so much.
The whole thing is a PR disaster.

I hope when they return they will step up their royal engagements somewhat, and try to indicate that they do care about other people.

Sigh. I suppose people will still be posting about the Mustique trip long after they return or until something more important comes along, like a new hairdo or dress or bikini bump pic, that will get people even more worked up about.
Even when Catherine does attend an official engagement people rarely post too much about the merits of the organization she is visiting. No its her hair ( she should have worn it up), her clothes (OMG she showed her knees, pass the smelling salts), her shoes (nude heels, ugh) or her jewels (why isnt she wearing a tiara) or her makeup (too heavy) that people are more interested in.

Lol, so true

No, they weren't the only ones. Zara and Prince Edward (who funny enough was at the same ski resort attending an engagement), also missed the Queen Mother's memorial.

As for the Paralympics, yes they did miss the closing, but they attended the opening and a number of the events.

Yes they did, iirc not many royals show up to the Paralympics

If being a RAF rescue pilot (or working as a emergency response personel) isn't caring about other people I don't know what is

Last edited:
If being a RAF rescue pilot (or working as a emergency response personel) isn't caring about other people I don't know what is?

True, and I don't recall any of the people he has lifted from the sea or off the side of a mountain saying "no, no , no, leave me here, you should be cutting a ribbon somewhere, I'll wait for the next helicopter while you do that". In fact they didn't seem to have any complaints at all that he was working in the SAR and not cutting ribbons, reviewing troops or giving a talk on animal husbandry to the local agricultural society. Pretty sure they didnt ask why his wife wasn't with him either.

Last edited:
Prince William and Kate gets ‘Thanks’ for Big C recovery from nine-year-old leukaemia sufferer | The Sun |News

Another article which is quite similar to the one in Hello! but as you can see Wills and Kate do try their best to keep in touch with those they meet from their charities.

Thank you for sharing this. Definitely brightened up my day. I wish that sometimes people would actually focus on the good that this couple can do, even if it's not in full-time capacity just yet.

I have never believed that Catherine is the issue, it is all about William. He, as many have said, is enjoying the perks and not doing the royal work. I think Artemesia's post explained that very well.

but it seems that he only wants Catherine to work along side him. She absolutely blossomed when he was in the Falklands and then he comes home and she does nothing by way of royal duties.

I believe her illness was genuine because he is currently working in Wales and she is in London. That wouldn't happen if she had been well. away from him, she is beginning to book engagements. He is staying in Wales because he wants to improve his flying hours, an indication that he is staying in the RAF, not turning to full time royal when the French pictures materialised during the tour, it was Catherine that handled the situation, William sulked.

She is doing her best but loves and supports William. He needs to learn that the nonsense of wanting to be normal is just that - nonsense. And he needs to pay attention to public opinion, and the Queen and Prince Charles need to sort him out. Basically he's spoilt.

This is a very interesting point of view, and one I personally never thought to consider, because Catherine struck me as someone who could stand up for herself and what she felt was right for her. However, now it's a whole different ball game, because she has to follow William's lead in some cases, and perhaps not just William, but the rest of the RF is trying to prevent another Diana-type mania (which is in full swing as is). I can definitely picture William as someone who can sulk and get a little bratty, but on the grand scheme of things, we all can behave in such manner when something doesn't go our way, or we don't like an outcome of a situation. I think, at the end of the day, this couple will figure out what's best for them, but I'm skeptical about them caring all that much about public opinion. As to the holiday, why the heck not? Was the time right? Perhaps not, but it's over and done, so perhaps we should all move on to something else.

They weren't patron of the paralympics or even the olympics. They said she was getting better and continue to get better from her HG and has been working with her charity and will have a public engagement on February 19.

The trip last skiing trip last March like the trip to Mustique is a Middleton family tradition.

Did Zara and Peter go to the memorial?

I don't know why people are acting like the palace lied about her being sick when she was hospitalized.

No, Zara (or Mike) wasn't there. I think the speculation was that she was training for the Olympics. Peter wasn't there because Autumn had given birth the day before. And Prince Edward had an engagement in France.

If being a RAF rescue pilot (or working as a emergency response personel) isn't caring about other people I don't know what is
So true.

There have been quite a few articles posted that reveal how Wiiliam and Kate keep in constant contact with the people they meet. If that doesn't show they care about others, then I don't know what does.

Last edited:

That's what I think too. For me is not so much how many holidays they take, it's the timing of their holidays, the 3 of them had a wrong timing which gives the impression to those that don't follow their activities so much (ie, the majority of people) that they put holidays first, royal work second. While that may not be true, is what it looks like seen from outside, and I think they should pay more attention to it

Blah, blah,blah. Some people on this thread should just grow up. A full time military man and his wife are taking a vacation. If your life is so bad that you resent that, then maybe you should go back to school so you can better yourself, then maybe you wouldn't be so negative.

Blah, blah,blah. Some people on this thread should just grow up. A full time military man and his wife are taking a vacation. If your life is so bad that you resent that, then maybe you should go back to school so you can better yourself, then maybe you wouldn't be so negative.

It seems to me that it is exactly the "full time military man" part that people resent the most. It appears they would much rather he and his wife were out cutting ribbons, waving fron car windows, reviewing troops, unveiling plaques etc......and most important of all see new clothes on Catherine that can be commented on and dissed.

That's what I think too. For me is not so much how many holidays they take, it's the timing of their holidays, the 3 of them had a wrong timing which gives the impression to those that don't follow their activities so much (ie, the majority of people) that they put holidays first, royal work second. While that may not be true, is what it looks like seen from outside, and I think they should pay more attention to it

And yet in August and September when the majority of the royal family are on vacation in Scotland, Will and Kate were at their peak public appearances and visibility. The reality is the William's court calendar is not the same as his father's, nor his grandmother's. First, he factors in his RAF time commitment, then you have the anchors of the Royal Calendar (Trooping, Knight of the Garter, Remebrance Day etc) add to it an Olympic year and a Diamond Jubilee year, throw a royal tour in ... and try to keep a few dates with the in-laws and oh yes his wife is pregnant. Anyone with family commitments knows juggling vacation schedules can be a logistical headache - its no wonder if they get some time, they take a few days here and there. its only going to get more complicated with children - then you have the school calendar to respect.

They went on a vacation - that probably has been planned for months. When Kate got sick in December, they werent sure she would make it - but that time had most likely long since been blocked out on their calendar and he had put in for vacation from the RAF.... she was feeling well, they went. it is a freezing cold Winter in UK and a few days in the sun will be a nice break before they get back to the royal season. Feb - Jun should be very busy for them getting ready for a new baby and moving into a new home and whatever changes come along with William's career.

I hope they enjoy the time.

This trip isn't a PR disaster, it's just people online trying to make more of than it really is.

I know a great deal of people were disappointed that the Cambridge's and other members of the royal family missed the memorial service of The Queen Mother & Princess Margaret but their plans were made well in advance and I'm sure The Queen understood it. Sometimes plans clash with others.

The palace isn't lying about Catherine's condition. They have mentioned that she's getting better, working behind the scenes and will resume her official public official engagements. She's not putting her royal role off in any way.

Last edited:
I know a great deal of people were disappointed that the Cambridge's and other members of the royal family missed the memorial service of The Queen Mother & Princess Margaret but their plans were made well in advance and I'm sure The Queen understood it. Sometimes plans clash with others.
I would hope she understood it because it is not as if she hasn't missed a funeral or a memorial service in her lifetime.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would hope she understood it because it is not as if she hasn't missed a funeral or a memorial service in her lifetime.

I'm also sure their thoughts and prayers were with the family too.

I have no problem with you disagreeing with me, but I think being sarcastic is unhelpful. I am entitled to have my say as well as anyone else.

Re sulking - take a look at the pictures on the day the news broke. National newspapers even commented on it.

When Charles and Andrew were in the military, they did not do part-time royal duties. The defining line was very clear. MAybe that's part of the issue - again, they need to reiterate what the plan is to the public again. positive marketing is about repeat messages.

For those of you who think this is a storm in a teacup - have a look at the Spanish RF threads and the furore over the King taking a holiday during an economic crisis. There has even been debate about him abdicating.

Under normal circs. a holiday doesn't matter but these are difficult times and normal rules do not apply.

I've always been a supporter of both of them, look at previous posts but this holiday is a mistake by them IMO.

1. I'm sorry if I offended.
2. You're faulting William for being publicly upset about a gross breach of privacy against his wife and accusing him of doing nothing but looking unhappy, do I have that correct?
3. SRF and this vacation - apples and oranges. Spain needed to be bailed out by the EU, UK has option to leave the EU because the EU might be dragging the British economy down, and the UK pound is so strong compared with its international brethren, it might as well be renamed the Chuck Norris currency.
3. Agree with you about delineating Williams's RAF duties, but it wouldn't help anyway- people would still criticize them because they are high profile.

I'm starting to think the only prob with this vacation is the timing, but there's very little that WandK could control-it's when her family was going, it's when he has time off, it's before her public duties resume, etc.

Last edited:
I'm really glad they have gone on holiday. I always knew they were lazy; and any respect I had for them has completely gone now.

I am out of work and living on baked beans and soup and struggling to pay my bills.

This has given me the kick I needed to walk away. I couldn't care less how many engagements she does in February or onwards, it is all a great big public sham! I won't be tuning in to any of it again. Time to get back to the real world and leave these spoilt indulgent people far behind!

In this day and age, the Queen has no subjects and does not govern. And, monarchy is apparently on the decline... I would have thought their priority would be making sure that they are connected with their people and show empathy and understanding. Instead I am seeing more and more people react as Angieuk has because of their inability to monitor their timing and choices. It is devastating to watch the struggles going on at the moment. It is shocking to watch the RF not be sensitive enough to the suffering.

I ask again. Was it necessary to take such a luxurious break? What were they thinking?

Their PR machine must be frustrated, they would know this was going to be an issue. I hope they get huge salaries, they deserve it!!

In this day and age, the Queen has no subjects and does not govern. And, monarchy is apparently on the decline... !

Where did you get the idea that the monarchy is in decline? Support is as high as it always has been. Pretty consistent 75% or more. Most democratic politicians would kill for numbers like that.

Personal attacks on the opinions of those with whom you disagree, even generalized ones, do not add to the strength of your counterargument. In fact it detracts from it.

Questions about the empathetic role the royal family plays in the lives of its people is not a sign of "resentment." They are legitimate questions of the interplay of government (and yes, the future head of state who performs royal duties is part of the government, or at least part of a hereditary ruling class) and the people it serves.

You advise people with whom you disagree to "grow up." Are questions about class structure and governmental structure NOT within the purview of the wise. What in the arguments about the royal family's role when the lives of the ordinary citizen is strained financial do you find childish?

As for Will's money, yes a working man should be able to take his pregnant wife on vacation. All working men. I highly doubt that Will's coworkers can afford the same vacation for their pregnant wives. Will's money comes from his very privileged status NOT hard work on his part. I don't think anyone is suggesting that Will and Kate have no vacations - what people ARE suggesting is that Will show more empathy and compassion for the British people and NOT flaunt his great wealth and privilege (none of which he earned), but rather show a little gratitude for his position and comfort.

I for one do not resent Will's vacations and status. I live very well, and certainly do not live the life of the average Brit that I am reading about. "Resentment," "envy," "jealously" are very weak arguments when raising questions about economics, government, class structure, and overall equality, or at least just compassion, knowledge and empathy for the people you will one day serve as head of state.

Why is it that whenever someone posts something that is anything other than 100% supportive of William and Kate, they get told to grow up, stop posting, blah blah blah?

While I can't speak for anyone else here who has dared to voice criticism, my life is quite good, thank you. And for the record, I have a Bachelor's degree, a Master's degree, and just finished a certification program as well. I haven't ruled out a PhD, if I can find the time and money, but I fail to see how this might change my opinion of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

The reason that people (including the William and Kate) are not sensitive to other people's suffering is simply the fact that they don't care.

I knew there was something wrong with this conversion, the usual "grow up", "resent", envy" blah blah blah post was missing. here it is :whistling:

Okay folks....lets all go back to our corners for a breather shall we?

Surely its possible to have a civil discussion with people who don't hold the same opinion as you?

Likewise, while we are all here to discuss the Cambridge's Current Events which includes this vacation, let's not assume that we know what they are thinking or that we have the right to speak on their behalf.

So it goes without saying that rude and nasty posts as well as posts that indicate that the poster knows the inner thoughts of William and Catherine will be deleted without notice.

Thank you.

Last edited:
The reason that people (including the William and Kate) are not sensitive to other people's suffering is simply the fact that they don't care.

Hmmm they seemed rather sensitive to peoples suffering when they made a point of visiting burned out areas of your province when they were there in 2011 and when they visited areas of the Uk damaged by the riots.

Last edited:
Dang...are the Danish royals getting this much hassle for their current (luxury) vacation?

I was under the impression that the Middletons were paying for this vacation, so William is technically not flaunting anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom