William, Catherine and Family: Annual Holiday to Mustique (2012-2015, 2018-2019)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that there will always be complaints. When they were doing engagements last year, people complained that they weren't doing the right type of engagements. Then during the Jubilee tour, there were complaints that they were getting too much attention and stealing the limelight from the other members of the BRF. During the Olympics, people complained that they were tired of seeing them and didn't think their involvment should count as official engagements.

Realistically they're not going to be able to please everyone and their best bet is to follow the advice of the Queen. She's obviously fine with the way things are progressing, and I'm sure she'll make it known when she feels they need to start full-time duties.

Last edited:
The palace has stated that The Duchess of Cambridge will return to royal duties. So she will carry out some official engagements during her pregnancy. We have to keep in mind that she have Hyperemesis gravidarum and although they have said that she's feeling better, I'm sure Catherine will follow her doctors advice. If she have to rest for a period of time and take it easy, that's what she will do. I don't think it's fair to her or the baby for people to use her sickness to say she's lazy and don't care about her royal life. I think that's totally unfair to her.

Also, those royal ladies that I mentioned above are fulltime royals, so obviously they're schedules are a bit different from Catherine's.

Wow, there are a lot of vicious comments posted after media articles regarding their current holiday. This is going to be a big problem for them.

Wow, there are a lot of vicious comments posted after media articles regarding their current holiday. This is going to be a big problem for them.

Some of those comments are always negative. Even when the royal couple are out on their official engagements. It's pretty much the same folks commenting over and over again and I have learned to ignore those comments.

Also, the DM knows how to drum up comments like that.

Perhaps those comments also stem back to GracieGiraffe's remark about the public expectations of royalty today.

Last edited:
Also 3 of those ladies mentioned above were married to the direct heir to the throne, were full time working royals, and members of very small royal families. In the UK we have no shortage of working royals that carry out about 6000 engagements a year, so I doubt there are any charities crying because they lack a royal patron and the ones Catherine is currently patron of do not seem to complain about lack of involvement on her part.
Why do people seem to have such a hard time grasping the idea that she is not a full time working royal? It doesn't seem to be that difficult a concept.

Somtimes I really start to think that the DM and other rags hire these commentators just to stir up the pot. I wouldn't take anything posted as a commentary to a DM (or elsewhere) article seriously... ever.

Not really. There were the same amount of negative comments when they took a vacation last year. And if you take a look at the latest article on Bea and Eugenie, you'll see all kinds of vicious commens. This is nothing new...it happens all the time.

Last edited:
I think that when people feel financial stress in their own lives, they start taking notice of other people's circumstances.

I'm not saying that Kate does not work, as I stated elsewhere, we have no real idea of what she does behind the scenes all day long. We have no idea of her physical condition, or her anxiety level with living life in the public eye. I have no idea if the term "lazy" applies to her or not (but the perception is that she is). While I can't tell you if she's lazy or not, I'll go out on a limb and suggest that her life is a living hell.

Let's detail Catherine's year, shall we? Where does one begin?

1) Every detail of her clothing and personal appearance is criticized. From too much eyeliner to too much hair to how she waves at people to her outfits.
2) The woman's midsection has been analyzed and over analyzed and gazed upon and commented upon by every person on the planet with eyes and a mouthpiece
3) Her work detail is criticized, and when she does a public engagement such as the Olympics, it's not "work." It's true that she does not have the stress of being fired, but she's got to sit there while the cameras are on her 24/7 hoping to catch something that will go viral, negative or positive.
4) The topless photos and and the lawsuit. Should we even go there? While she's on some all important all week tour of Asia with Will, and she's trying to make a good impression on people, she knows, and everyone else knows those topless photos are floating around. Talk about a white elephant.
5) She gets pregnant and is so damn sick with nausea she is dehydrated and is admitted. Then some DJ's decide to play a prank on the hospital and a nurse decides to hang herself over it. Meanwhile. you're laying in that bed, sick as a dog already, and knowing all this is going on.
6) Your portrait is unveiled and it becomes a laughingstock. It goes viral and the comedic parodies of it mirror Beatrice's wedding fascinator. She might start to wonder if she's some sort of curse.
7) Meanwhile, she's emotional, sick and pregnant.
8) Now she's on holiday with Will, and whether they "deserve" it or "earned" it or anything else, the trip is going to suck knowing the backlash they face.

I don't think that their trip was the best public relations move in the world, but with all of the chaos surrounding her every move, now that she's pregnant, maybe, just maybe, going out and facing the sheer hysteria of the public and press is all a bit too much. But people are not going to understand that it is too stressful to work under these circumstances, but you're okay to fly off to the Caribbean.

I don't know what the answer here is. The public is angry, every angry. The situation is untenable the way that it is. Untenable for everyone.

Crown Princess Victoria isn't married to a direct heir she is the heir...

William a full time Rescue Pilot for goodness sake isn't that work. :whistling:

The public is angry, very angry? Are we considering the Daily Mail commentators and the people who visited these royal forums the public now?

William a full time Rescue Pilot for goodness sake isn't that work. :whistling:
According to some, it's not work it's an hobby. It's an excused to not do real work.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an individual with a chronic illness? If I had an end point of my torture (in Kate's case, HG) either achieved or in sight, I'd be thrilled for an end to the pain. But before stepping back into a very public job, yes, I'd want to recharge my batteries.

The timing sucks as far as public reception, but I have only sympathy. Kate NEEDS this. To have gone straight from sick to working would be so draining and demoralizing for her. It wouldn't be in anyone's best interests.

According to some, it's not work it's an hobby. It's an excused to not do real work.

I understand that their decision to take a vacation right now is going to yield some backlash. But saying that a Sea King helicopter pilot's work is just a hobby is unfair. A very close friend of mine is also a rescue pilot and I can assure you that it's REAL work. Difficult, dangerous, technical, team-contributing, long shifted work. Anyone who wants to treat this kind of work like a hobby is weeded out in military process long before training begins. It's simply too dangerous to put the controls of a machine like a Sea King in the hands of someone who is not highly skilled.

The public is angry, very angry? Are we considering the Daily Mail commentators and the people who visited these royal forums the public now?

What exactly are DM commentators for you? cattle? And why they do not count? There are over 600 comments there some of them arrowed 1500 times by middle class British mostly. If that is not a sample of what people think, what do you need then? If you prefer the telegraph the comments are not better.
Kate and William babymoon: Mustique highlights - Telegraph

All this could be prevented if they did what they have to do. As Harry says "work hard, play hard".

I understand that their decision to take a vacation right now is going to yield some backlash. But saying that a Sea King helicopter pilot's work is just a hobby is unfair. A very close friend of mine is also a rescue pilot and I can assure you that it's REAL work. Difficult, dangerous, technical, team-contributing, long shifted work. Anyone who wants to treat this kind of work like a hobby is weeded out in military process long before training begins. It's simply too dangerous to put the controls of a machine like a Sea King in the hands of someone who is not highly skilled.

I know that, I was just stating what I've seen from some people. I think its ridiculous and I notice that some of those people who makes these statement are Harry's fans (on Tumblr) who wants him to be the heir instead.

I should have put a #sarcasm or a smiles at the end of that post

What exactly are DM commentators for you? cattle? And why they do not count? There are over 600 comments there some of them arrowed 1500 times by middle class British mostly. If that is not a sample of what people think, what do you need then? If you prefer the telegraph the comments are not better.
Kate and William babymoon: Mustique highlights - Telegraph

All this could be prevented if they did what they have to do.".
Yeah, those comments have to count and they are up a few notches to what I have seen before, otherwise I would not have bothered to comment on them.

Why do people seem to have such a hard time grasping the idea that she is not a full time working royal? It doesn't seem to be that difficult a concept.
I think we all know she is not working full time NGalitzine. It is obvious, no arguments there.

I think the issue is what the public EXPECT her work contribution to be. Times are taught, it is difficult to watch the rich shop, relax or play when so many are not even able to properly feed their children. There is no need to discuss deserving or not here. The struggles are evident and everywhere! This is not her fault of course, but she holds a position where she must be seem to empathize with her people.

Can you not see that for those who struggle, her perceived lifestyle is a kick in their gut? They must feel Will and Kate are rubbing their privilege in their faces and they (the public) are financially supporting the RF.

At the end of the day, it is all about perception. They know this. Why is it that with that knowledge they chose such an impossibly affluent destination instead of a quiet place in England? This family has a huge portfolio of properties. I don't understand this choice.:neutral:

She is not doing her most important job, we're not in the 18th Century, she's just carrying a child. Most women, most Princesses manage that and carrying out engagements or everyday life. Yes she's been ill but she's managed an 8 hour plus flight to Mustique so she seems to have been fine for a while.

She is neither queen nor crown princess yet and is married to a serving officer, carrying his child. So why should she at all carry out engagements at all? She has a high profile because people like us are interested in her, not because she is interested in it. Yes, it's true, today a lot of women work on being pregnant if they feel like it - but that's strictly on an individual basis. You can't say because "a lot are doing it" someone special has to do it as well.

...she holds a position where she must be seem to empathize with her people.
She do care about the people's problems. That's why she has decided to support charities like Action on Addiction, EACH, The Art Room, etc. She's not ignoring the peoples problems by running a few errands. I highly doubt people are somewhere crying that Catherine or any other member of the royal family go out and run a few errands.

Things were a little different with the then, Princess Elizabeth. She had no other choice but to really step up when she became the first in-line to the throne. Then again, people at the time had a little more some respect for the royal family.

Not just that, but common sense was more in use and actually being used too.

Just how much "work" is someone who is officially only a part time royal and primarily resident in Wales supposed to do? I suspect this is more about fullfilling a desire by some in the public/press to see more of her so comments can be made about fashion & jewels that it is about charity & public duties. So far I haven't heard any charities crying about lack of involvement or complaining about cancelled engagements.
I wonder if there were the same kind of complaints when Elizabeth, the heiress presumptive, went off to live in Malta with the Duke of Edinburgh or when Katherine went off to live in Hong Kong with the Duke of Kent.

We do not currently suffer from a shortage of fulltime working royals in the UK.

Exactly!! If there's a real problem and complaint, then the only people who have the right to say anything at all are the Charities and/or The Queen and trust me, we'd hear about it too.

Wouldn't it make more sense for a person who is responsible for operating some rather large machinery with very sensitive equipment to rescue individuals in danger (sometimes in inclement weather) to be well rested and have a positive attitude?

I'm of the opinion that more military people (in any country) should have more time off. Perhaps the rather frightening rise in suicides and post-traumatic stress disorders would be turned around if soldiers got more rest. Just saying.

Not to mention wasn't William a part of the search for that guy that got swept off the cliffs and into/out to sea, but wasn't found a few weeks ago? I can't imagine the feelings of the entire Base after they had to call off the Search w/out a happy ending. It all takes a toll beyond what any of us even know of and is a job I have nothing but respect for the people who do it.

My point is why should she be treated any differently than me just because she is watched by soooooooooooo many people.

You've never been stalked then. Or had your every move watched for the teeniest mistake to be used against you in the future by a large group of people. I have and let me tell you, the emotional, psychological and physical toll that can take on someone is massive and not only on you, but on your loved ones as well knowing there's nothing they can do to stop it.

Then again, I would think knowing someone is being stalked regardless of the reason would bring about some compassion for that person.

The problem is that there will always be complaints. When they were doing engagements last year, people complained that they weren't doing the right type of engagements. Then during the Jubilee tour, there were complaints that they were getting too much attention and stealing the limelight from the other members of the BRF. During the Olympics, people complained that they were tired of seeing them and didn't think their involvment should count as official engagements.

Realistically they're not going to be able to please everyone and their best bet is to follow the advice of the Queen. She's obviously fine with the way things are progressing, and I'm sure she'll make it known when she feels they need to start full-time duties.

Thank you, well said and perfectly said too. Also sadly too true.

As an individual with a chronic illness? If I had an end point of my torture (in Kate's case, HG) either achieved or in sight, I'd be thrilled for an end to the pain. But before stepping back into a very public job, yes, I'd want to recharge my batteries.

The timing sucks as far as public reception, but I have only sympathy. Kate NEEDS this. To have gone straight from sick to working would be so draining and demoralizing for her. It wouldn't be in anyone's best interests.

I also have serious and on going health issues and as you said all too truthfully, if there was an end point in sight, I'd be planning to do something special or go somewhere I'd always wanted to go to before getting on w/my life. Simply because there's nothing more tiring than being in constant pain or constantly sick and once you've finally gotten to the end of it all, you're so drained, you can't think straight.

I actually made the mistake of not taking the time needed to not only recharge my batteries, but also to come to grips w/all that had happened to me over the close to three year period of Kidney Failure, going on Dialysis and then two Kidney Transplants and coming thisclose to losing this second one as well. The smart thing to do would have been to take a year to recharge my own reserves and also do what was needed to come to terms w/a few things. Not jump right into doing College applications and in turn, College that Fall.

To say it was a disaster is an understatement and ending up discovering I had cataracts needing out, which in turn forced me to take a year off anyway, was a blessing in disguise as during that time I did come to terms w/all that had happened. I also pass along this very true advice whenever I'm asked to talk to a newly returned Transplant Recipient come home.

This is what seems to be an Annual Middleton Tradition, they all went there this time last year and it just happens this trip falls at the same time as just before Kate has the go ahead to get back to doing Engagements. Perfect timing for her to be able to recharge her Batteries before getting back into the swing of things.

Not only that, but this more than proves yet again that unlike other Windsor Royal Brides, Kate's Family will be an active part of William and Kate's lives. I'm delighted by this, as we've all heard the stories of how other Families were basically dropped to the side after the Wedding. Lovely to see all that was said about this wasn't just that. Talk.

I'll say again, if the Queen isn't saying anything or we're not hearing anything from the Palace or William's superiors in the RAF, then it's not a problem and nothing to worry about.

Not that, that'll stop the attacks and sniping from happening sadly. :sad:

I have seen people, not on this board, who act like Williams's work as a pilot is just him playing soldier and skirting his "real job". Someone even said he was using it to hide from his real duty. It is so irritating when people comment that being a rescue pilot isn't a legitimate job and he should be a full time royal so he can sit on his butt all day and wait for his grandma and father to die.

She is neither queen nor crown princess yet and is married to a serving officer, carrying his child. So why should she at all carry out engagements at all?
Did I say otherwise? She should carry out engagements because it's her 'duty'. The couple have decided to mix military and royal life together, which I think was a massive mistake.

Could you explain to me why I'm not a member of the public? Or why the DM readers are exempted from this too?

I've always felt that Williams focus is on the military and Kate's on being a military wife. That is their #1 priority; not making the select few who demand to see them every day at a charity function happy.

They are part of the public, not the entire public. And the whining of a few doesn't negate the majority who are content with the way things are.

I've always felt that Williams focus is on the military and Kate's on being a military wife. That is their #1 priority.

That's fine, but how many of William's fellow pilots and their wives take holidays to Mystique, where they stay in villas costing six figures?

William and Kate don't seem to have any problem taking advantage of the "perks" of royalty, so they need to accept the responsibilities as well.

Like it or not, image is important for royals nowadays, and William and Kate need to be careful with theirs.

How do you know who is paying for their villa? For all you know the Middleton's can be paying for it and the Middleton's are rich. These holidays have been going on before they got married and no one knows who is picking up the bill; Kate has been enjoying the perks of being rich since she was a preteen and before she met William, doesn't seem she is doing anything different than she has done for years.

I'm really glad they have gone on holiday. I always knew they were lazy; and any respect I had for them has completely gone now.

I am out of work and living on baked beans and soup and struggling to pay my bills.

This has given me the kick I needed to walk away. I couldn't care less how many engagements she does in February or onwards, it is all a great big public sham! I won't be tuning in to any of it again. Time to get back to the real world and leave these spoilt indulgent people far behind!

I have always liked Kate (and to a degree, William). However, I too think this holiday is a massive mistake on their part.

You see, "ordinary" people can take holidays as often as they want; they are really no rules about that. But ordinary people earn their money. Or, as is increasingly the case, spend the money their parents or grandparents had earned. William and Kate are not ordinary people - they are representatives of their country. Everything William has is because of his position and yet he behaves as the proverbial man who has the cake and wants to eat it too. How many holidays have they had in the past 12 months? I'm prepared to bet far more than average people and in far more exclusive location. In times when their country is struggling, when people fight hard to go by, it's simply inexcusable.

Yes, I know Kate is pregnant. I know they are not full-time working royals yet. And you know what? That doesn't mean anything. If they chose to have a rest somewhere within the United Kingdom I doubt anyone would have said anything. In fact, what with Kate's schedule you could say they have been on an extended vacation already. But leaving for a location where renting a villa costs as much as some of their people's yearly income is being incredibly out of touch with realities.

Back in summer, when infamous pictures of the Duchess were taken, they (and the furore around them) distracted from another fact: St James Palace had said that their non-appearance at the Paralympics was because they were "preparing" for their foreign tour when they actually taking another holiday.

I am not British but I'll tell you this: I wouldn't have wanted these two to be my future King and Queen. William appears to resent his position and seems to think that while he is entitled to all the perks that come with it, no one dares to inflict any inconveniences upon him. Kate has to date been just a glorified dummy famous for her sartorial choices-only. The press gets criticised for reporting in details her cloths but really, what else is there to report? Newsflash: if they want to be just an ordinary couple, William can relinquish his rights and become just a plain non-royal Duke of Cambridge.

My apologies if this sounded like rant. It probably is one. But while I am a monarchist, an Anglophile and Kate-supporter, I am tired of making excuses all the time.

Last edited:
Well they ussualy go on holidays first beach and then snow...this time Catherine is not going to ski...that is not new..they won't do different because of financial stress...they are Royals... they live a different life from us, they do what they want, they have financial power, they wear clothes beyond our financial possibilities...and that is why we like them...because they are different, because they have power, it was always like this and nothing is going to change...have we ever heard of a royal that didn't go on vacation because of the financial stress or because of some situation their country is living????...Never..and we cannot suppose to hear that for has long hAs we live, Royals are Royals and they will always be! They pretend to care for everyone but that is just their job, inside they are real people who are going to live their luxurious lifes the best they can, always!!!:whistling:

i dont understand why people get so upset they take a vacation, i know plenty of people who work part time, full time, stay at home moms, and retired people who take trips and travel on vacation. i guess i didnt realize there was a criteria that needed follow in order to take a trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom