Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 4: September 2012-February 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tradition

Mary of Teck
Alexandra of Denmark
Anne Boleyn
Catherine of Aragon
Catherine Parr
Jane Seymour

Queens-consorts don't have regnal numbers for identification but they have maiden surnames or dynastic names.

We could add Camilla Parker-Bowles. People here get in such a twist when she is referred that way by the media. But I completely agree with Spheno, that it is commonly/traditionally done.

Just out of curiosity, why does the press still call her Kate Middleton?

It's better than the American habit of celeb' couple naming.

You'd end up with nonsense like Willkate, Katewill or KatWii.

*shudders*

Lots of magazines reviewing 2012. Here is a picture gallery of William and Catherine from popsugar. If this is the wrong place, can a mod. please move. Thanks.

Best Pictures of Prince William and Kate Middleton in 2012

What a wonderful collection!

My favorites are:

1) The pic of them at the Olympics when Kate has her arms around Wills and they're obviously joyous. (Love the way so many pics are of them looking at each other.)

2) The beach one with Lupo

3) The one where Kate is wearing the head covering.

It's better than the American habit of celeb' couple naming.

You'd end up with nonsense like Willkate, Katewill or KatWii.

*shudders*

They definitely are a team though. Wouldn't surprise me if in the future they're William and Catherine just like you think of Victoria and Albert and William and Mary and Elizabeth and Philip and the list goes on.

I have noticed though (and I'm guilty too) that we see a lot of W&K here on the boards. Hmmm.. just thought of something... if you take William's first initial and add the last three letters of Kate, we got Wate. Waity Katie (gods I hated that) and Wills made the perfect team. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited by a moderator:
Tradition

Mary of Teck
Alexandra of Denmark
Anne Boleyn
Catherine of Aragon
Catherine Parr
Jane Seymour

Queens-consorts don't have regnal numbers for identification but they have maiden surnames or dynastic names.

Actually, no. It's laziness and a sad state of today's Journalistic Standards. Catherine/Kate Middleton ceased to exist the instant the words, "I will." were said by her on April of 2011 in Westminster Abbey. She became HRH The Duchess of Cambridge or Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge or Duchess Kate or even Princess Kate since the day one of our members here posted quite the interesting piece on how in Scotland, she is indeed HRH Princess Catherine of Scotland due to differences in various Marriages Laws (Not sure of the proper term and I was up far too early this morning too. Even w/a nap, I'm running out of steam) and the Royal Family when it comes to their titles in England and in Scotland....

*However* Kate Middleton is all kinds of wrong and is just pure laziness on the part of the media these days. Even Anderson Cooper still calls her that and he especially should know better!!

I apologize for the rant and especially for that horrific run on sentence up there. I cringe just looking at it, but couldn't be helped I'm afraid.

As for that stupid immature article in the Express...You've got to be kidding me? Poor wittle vultures got caught breaking the rules the Palace laid down when it was announced the Cambridges would not be at Sandringham and this is how the react? Instead of apologizing, and showing some maturity and some common sense in doing such a thing, instead they pull of a stupid revenge smackdown piece of trash article instead.

Well, two can play at that game. As Duke of Earl has said, wouldn't it serve these twits right if they suddenly found themselves on the outside looking in for the rest of Kate's Preganancy and then for the first year of the little HRH on the way.

More than likely won't happen, but I bet Will and Kate wish they could do just that.

Well, two can play at that game. As Duke of Earl has said, wouldn't it serve these twits right if they suddenly found themselves on the outside looking in for the rest of Kate's Preganancy and then for the first year of the little HRH on the way.

:ROFLMAO: Knowing how much William loves the press and how stubborn he can be and how he's protective of Kate, I can surely guess who will lost out.

Actually, no. It's laziness and a sad state of today's Journalistic Standards. Catherine/Kate Middleton ceased to exist the instant the words, "I will." were said by her on April of 2011 in Westminster Abbey. She became HRH The Duchess of Cambridge or Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge or Duchess Kate or even Princess Kate since the day one of our members here posted quite the interesting piece on how in Scotland, she is indeed HRH Princess Catherine of Scotland due to differences in various Marriages Laws (Not sure of the proper term and I was up far too early this morning too. Even w/a nap, I'm running out of steam) and the Royal Family when it comes to their titles in England and in Scotland....

*However* Kate Middleton is all kinds of wrong and is just pure laziness on the part of the media these days. Even Anderson Cooper still calls her that and he especially should know better!!

I apologize for the rant and especially for that horrific run on sentence up there. I cringe just looking at it, but couldn't be helped I'm afraid.

As for that stupid immature article in the Express...You've got to be kidding me? Poor wittle vultures got caught breaking the rules the Palace laid down when it was announced the Cambridges would not be at Sandringham and this is how the react? Instead of apologizing, and showing some maturity and some common sense in doing such a thing, instead they pull of a stupid revenge smackdown piece of trash article instead.

More than likely won't happen, but I bet Will and Kate wish they could do just that.

True, after all Diana was called, though inaccurately, Princess Diana, or Princess Di. Names such as Anne Boleyn seem to be used historically perhaps to differentiate her from Anne of Cleves, or she was referred to that way (and in less flattering terms) by ambassadors who considered her marriage to the King invalid and bigamous.

I imagine that when Kate is Princess of Wales, she'll be called Princess Kate by the press, even though it's technically inaccurate.

I imagine that when Kate is Princess of Wales, she'll be called Princess Kate by the press, even though it's technically inaccurate.

That's nothing new though, Camilla is still called by her married surname.

That's nothing new though, Camilla is still called by her married surname.

I agree. The late Diana, Princess of Wales was often called in the public/ by the press Princess Di or sometimes even Lady Di even though she was already married to the Princess of Wales at that time.

I agree. The late Diana, Princess of Wales was often called in the public/ by the press Princess Di or sometimes even Lady Di even though she was already married to the Princess of Wales at that time.

By all accounts that I've heard, Diana was the first to correct people too when they called her Princess Diana.

TBH, I'm happy they've not stuck the moniker of Princess on Kate. From most of what I've seen, its either Kate Middleton or The Duchess of Cambridge. Right now I'd wager that Kate herself is just wishing and hoping for the day someone says "Mommy". :D

At least she's eating something

Poor thing. One can imagine how she must have felt during the drive and suddenly needed something to fill a hole in the stomach. Nibbling at cheese is a really sensible thing to do in such a case.

To me it seems a little bit weird being so sick and eating cheddar.

To me it seems a little bit weird being so sick and eating cheddar.
It has been reported elsewhere that it was a packet of Mini Cheddars which is a brand of baked cheddar cheese biscuit? I'm not familiar with these, but note that dry cracker or biscuit-type foods are often used to quell nausea by pregnant women. Anyone familiar with Mini Cheddars?

And that brings up some interesting points. Since leaving the hospital, Kate has been:
  • at 1 public engagement, which she attended for about 45 minutes.
  • at 2 private lunches
  • at church on Christmas day
  • reported to be at Sandringham for Boxing Day. Because it was raining, she reportedly did not attend the shoot, neither did the Queen
  • stopped at a petrol station - possibly enroute to Berkshire - to reportedly buy Mini Cheddars
Did I miss anything - anything to add to the above?

So, in other words, although we have seen photos of her, she has had exactly 1 public appearance of a very short duration since she left hospital.

All other sightings and reports (that I'm aware of) are in places, that if she needed to be sick, she could do so relatively privately, without media around getting pics of her dashing to the loo.

Kate has also had the backing of the Queen (who announced, prior to Christmas) that she approved William and Kate spending Christmas Day in Berkshire.

It is my opinion that although Kate is coping and getting better, she still suffers from the effects of HG.

What gives me pause about this latest photo of "Kate" is that thick belt that seems to be bound so tightly around her waist. Would a woman who is three months along really wear a belt that tight ... especially if she's having morning sickness?

What gives me pause about this latest photo of "Kate" is that thick belt that seems to be bound so tightly around her waist. Would a woman who is three months along really wear a belt that tight ... especially if she's having morning sickness?
She has HG, she's always sick and that's why she looks so thin:flowers: And pic is not very clear...

Camilla Tominey's hilarious story is just classic. She decides to give William a dig, so she expects us to believe that a helicopter flying, motorbike loving, rugby and football playing soldier would prefer to watch Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart trying desperately to pretend that the whole thing isn't a steaming pile of horse manure, rather than the all-action, super-suave MI6 spy, James Bond?

I believe the appropriate term here is 'fail'.

Camilla Tominey tends to get on US TV quite a lot when there are big royal happenings with William and Kate. She obviously has no story to give Good Morning America or whatever show she appears on, so to maximise her potential airtime she decided to create one. Unfortunately, it's so transparently stupid as to be laughable.

Sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to say that the 'Mini Cheddars' that Kate was buying are little crackers with a cheddar cheese flavouring. The crackers are small, about the size of a US quarter or 10p piece in the UK. They're very moreish, and it can be difficult to stop eating them when you start a packet.

Exactly what someone with nausea would be advised to eat. You can see them here:

Mini Cheddars. | Contains Scenes Of Mild Peril.

:previous: Thank you EIIR :)

If Kate were about 12 weeks pregnant, the fetus is only about the size of a plum. For a little giggle, here is the fruit and vegetable guide to pregnancy: Baby Size Chart - Fetus Size Chart

Thanks, CanRoyal. Good chart for perspective! :) I was more concerned about the fact that she's probably still experiencing nausea, especially with HG. When my stomach is upset, I don't want anything touching it, let alone a tight belt. But everyone's different, so maybe the tightness helps her.

Thanks, CanRoyal. Good chart for perspective! :) I was more concerned about the fact that she's probably still experiencing nausea, especially with HG. When my stomach is upset, I don't want anything touching it, let alone a tight belt. But everyone's different, so maybe the tightness helps her.
I had HG when I was pregnant and as a result I didn't have a "proper" baby bump until the second trimester. It doen's mean anything is wrong with the baby as I ended up giving birth to healthy daughters:p
I remember I dreamed with food, particularly chocolate cake and watermelon (don't ask me why:lol:) and when I smelled the food I was sick...

I do think she's feeling better too although she still looks to thin:flowers:

I think HRH is now over the 12 week stage or just about now.

Last edited:

Good article. The press in Britain is entirely free and an editorial decision was made by the Express and other mainstream media not to publish the photos, just like the Daily Mail made the decision to publish the photos and then made the decision to take them down.

For people saying the palace has the power and authority to 'ban' photos, can you please provide the specific statue that gives them this power?

Very interesting article and I'm glad the Cambridges and their team didn't ban the pictures. Seems like the press was just being careful.

From the article
The short answer is that my own newspaper and others (but not all media organisations) decided not to print them because St James's Palace had sent out a short note announcing that Prince William and his pregnant wife would be spending Christmas Day with the Middleton family and asking that their privacy be respected.
Newspaper editors interpreted that note, which insisted there would be no photo opportunity of the couple, to mean they felt they had a right to privacy even when they were attending church.
In fact, a St James's Palace spokesman told me today: "We never banned those photographs at all. In fact, those media organisations who bothered to ask us were told it was entirely up to them whether they published."
Pretty straightforward
I don't understand why newspapers, which are entirely free to publish anything they want make a conscious editorial decision not to publish photos and then afterwards complain about it.

I don't know, I guess when the press have to walk on egg shells with the royal family, it kinda puts them on edge. I personally saw nothing wrong with the media publishing the pictures and it was nice to see the future King & Queen going to church on Christmas Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom