Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 4: September 2012-February 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think we will hear anything definite because Catherine's HG is touch and go. She may feel great one minute and the next is vomiting her guts up.

Its very possible that Will and Kate don't know themselves just what way they're going to head next Tuesday and are waiting to see how Kate feels the day before or right before they do have to decide. As you say, its all touch and go at the moment. We have no clue how bad her morning sickness has been since she left the hospital and most of the appearances that she has made, were the kind that a last minute decision could be made. For all we know, they may choose to remain at Nottingham Cottage by themselves for Christmas day.

Duke-of-Earl, right you are. Tabloid driven intensity. Misinterpretations abounding, based on speculation. Christmas is around the corner, relax for now!

I do think they will be at Sandringham. I do think it depends on how Catherine is feeling though. if she's not feeling well, perhaps they'll stay in London or just stay at Sandringham while the rest of the family go to church. I think she will be okay and attend church with the family.

I don't think there's any doubt that they will also spend some time with the Middleton family.

I hope we won't fall into the tabloid trap over the Cambridges Christmas plans every year. They most likely will continue to split their time with the royal family and Middleton family. It's just natural and expected and it's what a lot of couples do with their families. William & Catherine are no different.

Last edited:
There are reports starting to circulate around the web that the Queen has invited Michael and Carole Middleton to be with Kate (and William) at Sandringham for Christmas Day.

While I can find at least half a dozen sources that are saying this, I wouldn't call any of those sources top notch new sources, so it may not be true. However, if it does turn out to be true, it will be interesting as the presence of the Middletons will be quite the break in tradition.

There are reports starting to circulate around the web that the Queen has invited Michael and Carole Middleton to be with Kate (and William) at Sandringham for Christmas Day.

While I can find at least half a dozen sources that are saying this, I wouldn't call any of those sources top notch new sources, so it may not be true. However, if it does turn out to be true, it will be interesting as the presence of the Middletons will be quite the break in tradition.

Maybe the queen understands Catherine's wish to have her parents around in these difficult times, likes them enough to have them around herself even on Christmas and simply invited them. Sandringham after all is large enough to allow them privacy with their daughter and as the christmas traditions are rather formal at Sandringham anyway, it might be not so difficult to invite "foreigners". I mean the Middletons have shown that they are pleasant, well-mannered and discreet people and their daughter is having problems with carrying HM's next direct heir, so where's the beef?

Maybe the queen understands Catherine's wish to have her parents around in these difficult times, likes them enough to have them around herself even on Christmas and simply invited them. Sandringham after all is large enough to allow them privacy with their daughter and as the christmas traditions are rather formal at Sandringham anyway, it might be not so difficult to invite "foreigners". I mean the Middletons have shown that they are pleasant, well-mannered and discreet people and their daughter is having problems with carrying HM's next direct heir, so where's the beef?

Actually the reports - if true - indicate that the motivation behind the Queen's invite is that Kate is not fully recovered from HG and was considering staying at the Middleton family home in Bucklebury for Christmas (and where Kate is - William will be).

Therefore by issuing an invitation to Sandringham to the Middletons, it would likely provide Kate with the confidence (for lack of a better word) to be at Sandringham for Christmas as well.

Last edited:
Didn't the Queen give W&C a cottage on the estate after Christmas earlier in the year? I am sure a cottage on Sandringham is large enough for the Middletons to stay close? Besides W&C, they need 3 rooms.

:previous: I believe that was the Queen's Christmas gift to them last year.

I don't want to get this thread off-track but its a not matter of Catherine needing her parents there on Christmas Day. That's the tabloid spin. Daily Mail headline "Poor Catherine can't be alone on X-mas day", give me a break.

The only issue is her morning sickness. If she's vomiting non stop, what's the point of being at Sandringham?

If Catherine is feeling okay, then her and William will go to Sandringham, its really that simple.

Last edited:
Catherine don't need her parents at Sandringham for support.

It is quite possible that the entire Middleton clan would be residing with William and Kate at their cottage on the Sandringham estate. Basically that would save a heck of a lot of traveling back and forth and Kate basically would be staying put for the entire holiday. Other than spending time at the Big House for the Queen's family only events, Wills and Kate can spend time with both sets of parents and perhaps even the Middletons be included in Boxing Day celebrations even like Sophie's father is.

I really do think that HM is the type of person that would go out of her way to ensure that things are as easy as possible for Kate during the rough times she been having with the pregnancy and trying to find a best possible solution.

I don't want to get this thread off-track but its a not matter of Catherine needing her parents there on Christmas Day. That's the tabloid spin. Daily Mail headline "Poor Catherine can't be alone on X-mas day", give me a break.

The only issue is her morning sickness. If she's vomiting none stop, what's the point of being at Sandringham?

If Catherine is feeling okay, then her and William will go to Sandringham, its really that simple.

Well, it might not be that simple. Since her hospitalization, Kate has been out in public for 45 minutes; at a private lunch for staff; and to a family lunch. So I tend to think she is neither "vomiting non-stop" or "feeling okay" - but rather she alternates between the two extremes. That is, at times, she may be sick and other times she might be feeling okay.

In any event, if she was vacillating between the two options - Christmas with her parents or Christmas at Sandringham - the issuance of an invitation to her parents by the Queen would solve the dilemma.

As to the tabloids insinuations - so what? There may be an element of truth in it as by all accounts the Middletons are a close family. We have already seen the Middletons included much more in the Royal family inner circle than the Spencers ever were. And in my opinion, that's all to the good.

It is quite possible that the entire Middleton clan would be residing with William and Kate at their cottage on the Sandringham estate. Basically that would save a heck of a lot of traveling back and forth and Kate basically would be staying put for the entire holiday. Other than spending time at the Big House for the Queen's family only events, Wills and Kate can spend time with both sets of parents and perhaps even the Middletons be included in Boxing Day celebrations even like Sophie's father is.

I really do think that HM is the type of person that would go out of her way to ensure that things are as easy as possible for Kate during the rough times she been having with the pregnancy and trying to find a best possible solution.
Just reading your post now Osipi and I think you have hit the nail right on the head. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Since her hospitalization, Kate has been out in public for 45 minutes; at a private lunch for staff; and to a family lunch. So I tend to think she is neither "vomiting non-stop" or "feeling okay" - but rather she alternates between the two extremes. That is, at times, she may be sick and other times she might be feeling okay.

Whilst I agree with your assessment, Catherine has done a public engagement since her hospitalisation. She presented two awards at the Sports Personality of The Year event last sunday.

Yes if you're vomitting non stop you should probably be with your mum, but there is the matter of being alone on Christmas Day. Nobody wants that, and the Royals on their own are probably going to be a bit of a scary task. If William's at work, I think she'll go to Berkshire.

Christmas Day will be spent with The Middleton Family. Both Duke and Duchess won't be at Sandringham. Statement comes from SJP, with approval from HM.

I'm disappointed.

Christmas Day will be spent with The Middleton Family. Both Duke and Duchess won't be at Sandringham. Statement comes from SJP, with approval from HM.

I'm disappointed.

I don't see why you should be disappointed. Last Christmas was spent at Sandringham and this year they will spend it with Kate's family. Seems perfectly reasonable to me, especially if Kate is still feeling unwell. Then next year they will be back at Sandringham for baby's first Christmas.

I'm disappointed.

I have to admit I'm disappointed too, but I will also admit that, at least in my case, it's for selfish reasons.

Taking the long term view, however, I hope William and Kate alternate Christmases with the BRF and the Middletons.

I have to admit I'm disappointed too, but I will also admit that, at least in my case, it's for selfish reasons.

Taking the long term view, however, I hope William and Kate alternate Christmases with the BRF and the Middletons.

Mine are selfish reasons aswell, however I hope the alternate especially when William is King.

It has already been speculated that the queen might leave Sandringham to William and Catherine and that Charles will keep Highgrove - so we might see the day when the Xmas party at Sandringham is hosted by W&C. So it isn't such a big deal to miss out for this year, while it is the last time Catherine will be able to spend Xmas as she was used to, as her parents move house o and then she will be a guest in their new house for this will never be her real home like the old house was.

I don't think the queen minds that much as Royal and noble ladies traditionally retire from the formal parts of their family life as soon as the pregnancy demands it or the baby bump became visible - while the last point is not longer important, it still is custom to take good care of the future mother of an heir - especially of the throne. And the queen is likely to be very well informed about the difficulties the young duchess faces at the moment and will do she can to make sure Catherine feels comfortable.

Diana, when she threw herself down the stairs or fell (can't remember what it was, really, saw immediately how shocked the family was and I believe this was genuine concern for both her and the baby, even though Diana a) used it and b) seem to have felt badly about it.

Turn about is fair play. Even if Catherine wasn't suffering from HG, I don't have an issue with the decision.

Last edited:
I would go so far to speculate that the Queen may have issued an invitation to Michael and Carole Middleton to have Christmas at Sandringham, but think it is likely that she may have included a sentence to the effect that she would understand if the Middletons would not be able to accept (otherwise, it might have sounded as if it were more of a 'command' than an 'invitation').

This speculation would fit in with reports circulating that the Queen had issued an invitation to Michael and Carole Middleton to spend Christmas at Sandringham, as well as the subsequent statement that the Queen and Prince Philip "approve" of Kate and William spending Christmas with the Middletons.

I think the stage is now set for William and Kate to spend alternate years with each side of the family. Of course we will have to wait until Christmas 2014 to find out for sure, but if it turns out that alternate Christmases are spent with the Middleton and the Royal families, it will definitely be for the best.

Last edited:
If Kate is allowed to spend Christmas with her family once every 2 years, then The York girl should be allowed to spend it with Sarah or at least to invite her for Christmas every once in a while at Sandringham!

I would've liked to see the Cambridges go to church with the royal family but as I said before, William & Catherine are just doing what a lot of other couples do, split their time with each other families. It's a perfectly normal thing to do.

I'm sure the Cambridges will go to a Christmas church service with the Middleton family this time and just have a good time. I'm sure Carole, Pippa and Catherine will have a nice party theme going on. I know they are excited the baby is on the way.

If Kate is allowed to spend Christmas with her family once every 2 years, then The York girl should be allowed to spend it with Sarah or at least to invite her for Christmas every once in a while at Sandringham!

Sarah used to stay at a cottage on the Sandringham estate during Christmas. I think she still do so, that way the girls could spend the holidays with their mother too.

Would have liked to see them on Sandringham too, but will be much more pleased if they spend Christmas on Sandringham with the baby next year. Will be kind of disappointed if they don't because I think swapping every year is a good and fair method.

I am very happy for them and the Middletons. I sincerely hope that Bucklebury does not turn into a media circus, perhaps they will compromise with an after- church photo in exchange for relative peace.

Dman said:
Sarah used to stay at a cottage on the Sandringham estate during Christmas. I think she still do so, that way the girls could spend the holidays with their mother too.

I remember Sarah said that she found it sad that she hasn't spent Christmas with her daughters since she got divorced!

TheRoyalCouturier said:
I remember Sarah said that she found it sad that she hasn't spent Christmas with her daughters since she got divorced!

If that is true now it's as much Beatrice and Eugenies fault. They aren't children, If it was important to them, they could speak with their grandmother and come up with a compromise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom