The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 11:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Right now I think they've had it with cameras focused on them. As we've seen with both William and Kate's interactions over the past couple of days, they've been photographed with wide smiles, giving hugs and in William's case, somber emotional expressions. They were also acting in official capacities too. I don't blame him for scowling at the media right now when they are on private activities. They should not be expected to bow down, chant moo and eat purple grass in honor of the Almighty Paparazzi each time they get in their faces.

I think William and Kate are most definitely defining the lines of what they will and will not tolerate in their lives. Unless they set the limits now, it will be so much harder to do in the future and one thing the press does want to do is remain on the good side of the fence with the Cambridges.
Well said Osipi! The royals (and many celebs) have never been in the habit of posing for pretty pictures after private events on the town. The attitude is usually - give the paps nothing very sale-able, get in the car and leave.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndral View Post
I am quite curious as to what they were celebrating. We so seldom read of William and Catherine going out to private parties these days, the last time I can recall, other than weddings, was for Prince Phillip's birthday.

I did read somewhere that the party was to celebrate a book launching (no, not Pippa's, that's not for another two weeks).
But I don't know who the author was.

Kate did seem to be holding a pamphlet or card when she was leaving.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta
Lately, it looks like they aren't even together; they're just in the same place. Anyway, all this scowling by W is making him look like a spoiled brat.
Im not sure he was scowling. He doesn't have a smile plastered on his face 24/7, but that hardly means he's a spoiled brat or scowling.

Also, they've done tons of stuff together and there are lots of warm pics of them working together.

Also, this had to be a tough day for W.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yeah, they were also somberly dressed. So it looks like they had a nice outing but mantained a proper mood.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Nobility

Unlike video - where you can see consecutive and successive facial movements and body language, I don't think you can tell anything from still photos. All you're really seeing is a moment frozen in time.

Others look at the still photos of Wills and Kate outside of the Mayfair club/restaurant and characterize their expressions as "glum" or as being that of a "spoiled brat".

But when I look at the same photos, I see a couple who are merely adopting expressionless faces.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Courtier

Too long discussion..may i join..

I am basically happy that William and Kate are going in the real 'royal' way..like Princess Anne and Queen..Keep the paps where they should be..
Not like his ever-lamented mother..once you give them a little lenience, they will start manipulating and dictating your whole life..he has learnt useful lessons..for which she will be very happy..
Old 10-12-2012, 06:04 PM
Courtier

Yes, I really don't see why they have any obligation to smile or act falsely animated when a photographer gets in their faces at midnight when they're walking out of a private club. They're not working, they're not representing the Queen, they're not doing anything inherently newsworthy, and, (you have to think), they're not overjoyed to see the cameras. Why should they give the photographers more interesting shots by making eye contact or pasting on fake smiles?

Royals aren't obliged to always be enthusiastic, energetic and consistently happy to see anyone who crosses their path - that is the description of a Golden Retriever, not a human being.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta
Lately, it looks like they aren't even together; they're just in the same place. Anyway, all this scowling by W is making him look like a spoiled brat.
To me, he just looks exhausted; both, physically and mentally (more of the latter I'm sure). I'd imagine that if we had to attend a funeral of someone who was close to us, we won't be too keen to ham it up to cameras and gutter press that is not supposed to intrude on private time. Ease up on them. They are doing the best that they can.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:45 AM
Courtier

William's face looked neutral to me, but assuming arguendo that William is 'scowling' is it because:
a) he's a spoiled brat, or
b) he's a young man dealing w/
the gutter press hounding his wife in much the same way they tragically hounded his mother
a brother/best friend serving on the front lines in a war
the funeral of a beloved nanny
balancing the search and rescue work he seems to love with his increasing Royal responsibilities
Old 10-13-2012, 06:23 AM
Commoner

It seems so silly to read a facial expression and say the person is spoiled. As you have so often said KittyAtlanta...apples and oranges.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:06 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by awcblue View Post
It seems so silly to read a facial expression and say the person is spoiled. As you have so often said KittyAtlanta...apples and oranges.
To quote KittyAtlanta :
"Anyway, all this scowling by W is making him look like a spoiled brat."

I really don't think KittyAtlanta was calling William a spoiled brat at all but was pointing out that he's been scowling like a petulant child or spoiled child would which I can plainly see in some of William's scowls (having had 3 children, I KNOW a petulant child when I see one )

When William is feeling an emotion I think it really comes out in his facial expressions. He's a sensitive guy for sure.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-13-2012, 07:10 AM
Nobility

I think they need to have a break and down time. After Olga's funeral and the busy week they had, they were both physically and emotionally exhausted. Knackered. Last thing they wanted to do is have to pose for photos.

Of course he would be scowling. After everything the paps have learnt nothing and they still have no respect for their privacy.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessDianafan View Post
Of course he would be scowling. After everything the paps have learnt nothing and they still have no respect for their privacy.

To be fair (and I can't believe I'm trying to be fair to the press!) a single photo can make or break a career.
There's an enormous amount of cash involved for anyone who gets that money shot!

It's easy to say they should be ashamed of hounding people, but who knows? If any of us was in that line of work, perhaps we would do exactly the same.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:23 AM
Royal Highness

Even if he looked "petulant" for some, for me this is okay - all the time people ask for honesty and claim they don't like it when people are "fake" - but complain once we see an honest sign of tiredness or even displeasure on the face of a Royal. Can't have it all, can you?
Old 10-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Courtier

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5572297&type=1
new pics from Tuesday
Old 10-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkittybaby View Post
Wow these are lovely - and it seems they are non-press photos (from someone at the aviation service).

My favorite is William in a reflective mood.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...41119225_n.jpg
Old 10-13-2012, 02:50 PM
Courtier

I think someone of the aviation service took these pics
Old 10-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessDianafan View Post
I think they need to have a break and down time. After Olga's funeral and the busy week they had, they were both physically and emotionally exhausted. Knackered. Last thing they wanted to do is have to pose for photos.

They inaugurated a football facility, the next day she went to the north and he had a dinner with important women, they are taken everywhere in helicopter! That makes 3 engagements each in a week that take no more than 2/3 hours!!! exhausted of what???
Old 10-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Administrator in Memoriam

Guys
Could we please do without the personal invective directed at members with whom you disagree. Argue the point, certainly, but avoid the personal as it can be unnecessarily offensive and doesn't make for a friendly and enjoyable atmosphere.
I'll also take the opportunity to point out that "Zzzzzzzz" is not a meaningful statement and will be removed as an empty post.

thanks,
Warren
British Forums moderator
Old 10-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
They inaugurated a football facility, the next day she went to the north and he had a dinner with important women, they are taken everywhere in helicopter! That makes 3 engagements each in a week that take no more than 2/3 hours!!! exhausted of what???
They aren't taken everywhere by helicopter, and whilst I agree there is no reason to be exhausted after doing two days of work attending the funeral of your nanny who cared for you through some of the most traumatic times of you life is something to be emotionally exhausted over.