The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 07:32 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by regardez View Post
Is there a reason people aren't posting the pictures in the thread? Star magazine has them...

Kate Middleton's Pregnant Bikini Pics Were PUBLISHED! | Perezitos.com

Is her hair naturally curly? It is really frizzy in the cover picture.
Why are people so excited over bikini photos? They are bikini photos, and there have been many pictures of women in bikinis before now.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Nobility

We can despair for humanity in many areas without mentioning all of them.

And I don't see anything wrong with a husband defending his wife. As old-fashioned as it may seem, it proves to me that chivalry is not dead, which is a good thing.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andolini View Post
I agree, she should just lock herself in Buckingham Palace or wherever and order takeout for the rest of her life.
These are just my own opinions and thoughts but to be honest, at the time these photos were snapped, I wouldn't be one bit surprised if William and Kate half expected them to be. They've been going to Mustique for a while now and its a yearly thing it seems for the Middletons. I've seen it reported where they like to go to one place and enjoy karaoke. They probably interact quite often on these trips with others on the same island they are on. Its what most vacationing couples tend to do.

Actually they very well could have anticipated that this outing on the beach could very well turn into a photo op. They just didn't invite the press.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 02-13-2013, 07:35 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
We can despair for humanity in many areas without mentioning all of them.

And I don't see anything wrong with a husband defending his wife. As old-fashioned as it may seem, it proves to me that chivalry is not dead, which is a good thing.
Very nicely put. I am "liberal" as far as women's issues go, but all I see is one human being caring for another, not gender. I didn't connect gender until someone brought it up. It simply is a person defending another person.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:36 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Part of me understands why Willanm and Kate aren't impressed that a private holiday has been photographed and published.

But - as many have commented when you are in public areas then it is impossible not to stop pictures being taken whether by other holiday makers to paps. If these pictures had been taken off them in the private confines of their villa THEN i could justify more outrage but they werent they were in a public area and therefore impossible to police. There have been numerous pictures of the couple on holiday before whether in Mustique (ones surfaced last year from a the beach/picnic, boarding aircraft, boat trips and waterskiing ones from a few years back) or Ibizia ones (Kate in a white bikini on a yacht) and there hasnt been the same disappointed response from SJP or no british press publishing them. What is the difference with this years pictures then????

The pictures i do have problem with are the French ones from last year that should never have been published and the couple were justified in their lawsuit. Those pictures where taken of the couple when they were in the private confines of the house they were staying at and are completely different from the ones emerging from Mustique.

Aristocracy

Ahh Mustique...the royals have been photographed on this island forever, or at least way back when Princess Margaret and various partners stayed there. I think it's the same place where a very pregnant Dianna was photographed in a bikini.

There is a great deal of fascination with Kate and this first heir and I imagine photographers who would have jumped at the opportunity for a photo to sell. And yes I do think William and Kate deserve privacy but this island has some history for lack of it - and I googled to find the photographs today to see what all the fuss was about (guilty)!
Majesty

Quote:
. . . Is her hair naturally curly? It is really frizzy in the cover picture.
If the air has any damp or humidity in it hair tends to frizz a little. The "public" Catherine we see has dressed for the occasion and had her hair done, either by a salon or herself. Long hair takes time and work for any woman, more if you are in the public eye.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Is there a reason people aren't posting the pictures in the thread? Star magazine has them...

Kate Middleton's Pregnant Bikini Pics Were PUBLISHED! | Perezitos.com

Yes Kate has naturally curly hair - there are pictures of her as a teenager and university days with her hair curly like in the mustuqie picture linked. Also on her Asia and Pacific island tour you go see her hair starting to frizz cause of the humidity.

I would also agree with posters that maybe doing a photocall on the beach with an accredited press that it might help the pap situation as then the pictures would not be as valubale. Take the big money market away by granting a few posed pictures. Try this and seee if it works at least

Old 02-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Nobility

Just a reminder that the statement from SJP did not say that William and Kate (or anyone else) are surprised. It didn't say that anyone is outraged. It didn't say anyone was considering bringing suit. It just said that the Palace is disappointed. In my opinion, that's a pretty mild statement, and says more about being resigned than anything else.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I think they'd have been better to say nothing, than to say they are "disappointed". It sounds like a scolding for a child to try and make them feel bad about their behaviour. Fat chance of that happening!
Old 02-13-2013, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Yeah, her hair is naturally curly. There's a few photos of her hair in its natural state.

I agree Dman and Teri Teri. I don't think Mary, or the other European ladies would want the kind of press attention that comes with the BRF.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:58 PM
Courtier

...So, are they back in the UK yet?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:02 PM
Courtier

Can a UK poster let me know if the Australian women's magazines are available there.

We certainly have access to your magazines - not just "Hello" or "English Women's Weekly", but even "The Friend" etc.

(I have images of British customs officers ripping out pages before they go on the news-stands - like Saudi Arabia does to the imported fashion magazines.)

Thanks Sun Lion.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:02 PM
Serene Highness

I have an issue with 'public' beaches being the mitigating factor that they shouldnt be surprised for being photographed. The beaches are open to the guests of a private island.

This is not your typical caribbean vacation. Will & Kate vacationed on an island that is promoted as a private island where paparazzi are not tolerated
www.mustique-island.com/

It is a reasonable expectation that their privacy along with the others on the island should be protected.

I am sure the person who sold the pictures will never be welcome back.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
It is not a case of "she was asking for it". It's a case of she assumed the risks associated with the activity and should not be surprised at the result. A fine, but important, distinction. If a woman wears skimpy clothes and goes into a room full of drunken men late at night alone and acts provocatively, she runs the risk of being touched improperly or even raped. Doesn't mean she deserves it, or that it isn't assault or rape. Just means she should have known better and shouldn't be surprised.

Just as a person who leaves their house unattended assumes the risk it will be burgled; just as a person who buys a fancy car assumes the risk it will be stolen; and just as a person who crosses the road assumes the risk that a person who is not paying attention will run them down. Doesn't mean their insurer should not pay out on their claim, for insurance is all about risk. It means that people who know the risk should not being surprised, and should be prepared to deal with the consequences.

In the case of Kate on Mustique, don't walk along a public beach in a bikini if you don't want to be photographed.
There's so much here that I'm just not going to address because I'm pretty disgusted by it.

I fail to see how a beach on a private island, where access to the island is strictly controlled, where random people can't simply rock up and throw their beach towels down, can be described as a 'public' beach. The Middletons have been holidaying on the island for several years, even last year no photographer was able to get anywhere near close enough to take decent pictures. You couldn't really identify anyone on the pictures that were taken because the paps couldn't get close enough. In that case, why should William and Kate not have a reasonable expectation of privacy? If you can't expect privacy on a private island, miles from anywhere, where can you?

The girlfriend of the French president successfully made a complaint after a French magazine published photos of her on the beach with her boyfriend in France last year. She didn't forfeit her right to privacy because she's the president's partner.

If the upshot of all this is that the royals are entitled to no privacy whatsoever, no matter where they are or what they're doing, then is it any wonder they all hate the press? They're independently wealthy in their own right, why put up with such a miserable existence? Is it any wonder so many of the royals have failed marriages, family breakdowns, dysfunctional relationships etc. etc? I wouldn't swap places with them for all the tea in China.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Courtier

Michelle, they would have to find out who it was first.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
Can a UK poster let me if the Australian women's magazines are available there.

We certainly have access to your magazines - not just "Hello" or "English Women's Weekly", but even "The Friend" etc.

(I have images of British customs officers ripping out pages before they go on the news-stands - like Saudi Arabia does to the imported fashion magazines.)

Thanks Sun Lion.
I've never seen an Australian magazine on sale in the UK. I'd never heard of those Australian publications until one of them reported on Harry being in Afghanistan.

The UK is not Saudi Arabia. Our press is among the most free on the planet and has been for hundreds of years.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
There's so much here that I'm just not going to address because I'm pretty disgusted by it.

I fail to see how a beach on a private island, where access to the island is strictly controlled, where random people can't simply rock up and throw their beach towels down, can be described as a 'public' beach. The Middletons have been holidaying on the island for several years, even last year no photographer was able to get anywhere near close enough to take decent pictures. You couldn't really identify anyone on the pictures that were taken because the paps couldn't get close enough. In that case, why should William and Kate not have a reasonable expectation of privacy? If you can't expect privacy on a private island, miles from anywhere, where can you?

The girlfriend of the French president successfully made a complaint after a French magazine published photos of her on the beach with her boyfriend in France last year. She didn't forfeit her right to privacy because she's the president's partner.

If the upshot of all this is that the royals are entitled to no privacy whatsoever, no matter where they are or what they're doing, then is it any wonder they all hate the press? They're independently wealthy in their own right, why put up with such a miserable existence? Is it any wonder so many of the royals have failed marriages, family breakdowns, dysfunctional relationships etc. etc? I wouldn't swap places with them for all the tea in China.
Godd post - agree 100%

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-13-2013, 08:11 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
Just a reminder that the statement from SJP did not say that William and Kate (or anyone else) are surprised. It didn't say that anyone is outraged. It didn't say anyone was considering bringing suit. It just said that the Palace is disappointed. In my opinion, that's a pretty mild statement, and says more about being resigned than anything else.
All of the discussion on the photos taken at Mustique has reminded me of a good example of how times have really changed.

It seemed that Queen Elizabeth took a day to go to the beach (forget which beach it was) and word got out to the press that the Queen was expected to be there that day. Sitting there enjoying the seaside, two women approached the Queen and said to her "Did you hear?? The Queen is to be here today!! How terribly exciting!" They didn't recognize her and probably expected fanfare and a motorcade of cars or something and least expected a woman sitting on the beach with most likely a scarf and sunglasses on. Its been a long time since I've read the anecdote.

I'm sure that both William and Kate realize that they are immensely popular and especially now that she's carrying a future heir to the throne, they are perhaps the most sought after and most popular couple on the planet right now. I think SJP issued a statement perhaps in a way to thank the British press for coming out and stating right off they would not be publishing the pictures. One thing different about these photos and the ones taken in France is that the previously taken ones went viral almost immediately. It took days this time before we even heard that magazines would even print them.

Such is life. Everyone peers into a fishbowl.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 02-13-2013, 08:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
It is not a case of "she was asking for it". It's a case of she assumed the risks associated with the activity and should not be surprised at the result. A fine, but important, distinction. If a woman wears skimpy clothes and goes into a room full of drunken men late at night alone and acts provocatively, she runs the risk of being touched improperly or even raped. Doesn't mean she deserves it, or that it isn't assault or rape. Just means she should have known better and shouldn't be surprised.

Just as a person who leaves their house unattended assumes the risk it will be burgled; just as a person who buys a fancy car assumes the risk it will be stolen; and just as a person who crosses the road assumes the risk that a person who is not paying attention will run them down. Doesn't mean their insurer should not pay out on their claim, for insurance is all about risk. It means that people who know the risk should not being surprised, and should be prepared to deal with the consequences.

In the case of Kate on Mustique, don't walk along a public beach in a bikini if you don't want to be photographed.
EXACTLY! It is not about deserving the treatment they get but about being wise about managing risks. Totally agree Roslyn.

Closed Thread