The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 09:20 PM
Courtier

I have yet to seen a picture.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Majesty

I haven't seen a picture either hopefully they won't be posted on the net.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Gentry

The photos may not be in the Sydney Daily Telegraph today, but they are discussing them.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Courtier

How do you know this?
Old 02-10-2013, 10:04 PM
Gentry

There is an article in today's DT, talking about the photos. Hope that clears that up.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Aristocracy

I have read most of the comments.

What is the big deal??? A family trip to the islands.

I don't recall too many complaints about the Royal family spending the entire month of August in Scotland.

Don't recall too many complaints about the Queens weekends at Windsor Castle instead of working in London.

I could see complaints IF the British taxpayers paid for the vacations. But they didn't.

I read that Prince Harry will get 5 weeks vacation forint 5 months in Afghanistan. I suspect someone will complain about that as well.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I don't think that the press can be solely blamed for the mob mentality we saw in action after Diana's death. It was very disturbing, but it has been known before; it's a dark side of human nature. Diana had become larger than life: a sort of goddess, and she was worshipped as such. It was a complicated phenomenon with many contributing factors, but I can't blame the press alone. The press wasn't the reason people started leaving flowers outside KP, and it wasn't the reason people were criticising the RF for staying in Scotland. The press wasn't the reason those people called out to William and Harry when they were doing that walkabout. That was PR exercise on the part of the RF, to appease the mob, and IMO it was appalling to have subjected them to it.

The press photographers only make money because people buy the magazines. I blame "the people" as much as, if not more than, the press. And Diana herself had a lot to do with it, since she played games with the press. She had her pets and initiated contact and manipulated her publicity to a certain extent, and when the relationship turned sour she suffered. Once she'd opened that stable door and that horse could not be put back in.

And she would not have been chased that fatal night if she had not run; there was no need for them to have left that hotel that night.

If William and Kate insist on going to places such as Mustique, they are going to be photographed. The more they complain about it, the more tempting it's going to be to find them and photograph them. It's got a lot to do with the challenge and the thrill of the chase.

I hope William steps back and considers their situation objectively, and to do that he has to look beyond his own experiences as Diana's son. I hope he takes advice and doesn't just dig his heels in and act out of emotion. But he is his mother's son, and Diana wasn't known for taking advice from people who gave advice she didn't like.

Having said what I wrote above, I am going to have to go out and buy the "Woman's Day" and "New Idea" a bit later on. I don't read the wretched things but I have to buy them for my mother, who believes what she reads in them. I am always embarrassed when I take them to the counter.
Great post and I agree - it's always been a dance between Palace, Press and Public. The public claims to be on the side of the palace, but in large part it's on the side of the press. Actions speak louder than words.

There ARE far greater issues with some of the other royals. The Bourbons come to mind, and there are others. But the BRF is most popular world wide, the most known. I think that the press and public also take a perverse pleasure in getting a rise out of Will and Harry.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:32 PM
Heir Apparent

The deal is duchess of Cambridge too sick to work but well enough to go on holiday 8 hrs flight away; not perceived as working enough; unlike Harry, has not put life on the line PLUS they are spending £19k a week to stay on the island.

That, in economically difficult times is seen as a "deal". If they had spent some money staying somewhere in the UK there would not have been a problem at all.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-10-2013, 10:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee27 View Post
I don't recall too many complaints about the Royal family spending the entire month of August in Scotland.
No one is envious of weeks spent in the cold and the wind and the rain of Scotland.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:36 PM
Courtier

I think the British Press are showing incredible restraint so they get brownie points.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Gentry

I've held off saying this for 60 pages of this thread....people, build a bridge and get over it. Good luck to them. Cairns FNQ would have been my choice, but Cairns is only a 2.5 hour flight for me, it would be nearly 23hour flight for the Duke and Duchess.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Now Cairns FNQ would have been for me as well. 23 hours to major commonwealth country - that is good

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Gentry

Cyclone season is nearly over, 30+degrees C most days this time of year. The best place on Earth.

At those drawing negative inferences from the Duchess being able make an 8 hour flight? No different or slightly better than a 7.5 hour drive/train trip. Distance/ travel time London to "Up North"?
Old 02-10-2013, 11:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Oh gawd please let's go back to talking about the violation of the privacy and not these darn boohoo why did they go on vacation posts.
Heck I wish these pix sous come out to stop this train of convo.
The Mids have been going to Mustique for years; what exactly is there to do there that they like so much?
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 02-11-2013, 12:07 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Oh gawd please let's go back to talking about the violation of the privacy and not these darn boohoo why did they go on vacation posts.
Heck I wish these pix sous come out to stop this train of convo.
The Mids have been going to Mustique for years; what exactly is there to do there that they like so much?
're the second point in your post: I thought I'd addressed that with my "build a bridge" comment?
Old 02-11-2013, 12:37 AM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Heck.. for all we know with the Middletons going there for years, they could perhaps even have a time share in the place they stay. Do we really know for sure all the little inside details of the "cost" of this holiday even or are we assuming?

Someone offers me a chance to be there instead of here right now and I'm on the first plane out yesterday.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:50 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
Yes AfricanAUSSIE I know - but Oz is such a magazine obsessed country that one of this year's ratings winners on TV is sure to be a mini-series about the "Woman's Day" and "New Idea" battles.

Called "The Magazine Wars" it's being made by the same production company that had a major success with a previous mini-series called "Paper Giants" about another Australian women's magazine "Cleo".

Are there any other countries making award-winning television dramas about their ladies mags? That's how much these publications are a part of the Australian lifestyle.

Cheers, Sun Lion.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I don't think that the press can be solely blamed for the mob mentality we saw in action after Diana's death. It was very disturbing, but it has been known before; it's a dark side of human nature. Diana had become larger than life: a sort of goddess, and she was worshipped as such. It was a complicated phenomenon with many contributing factors, but I can't blame the press alone. The press wasn't the reason people started leaving flowers outside KP, and it wasn't the reason people were criticising the RF for staying in Scotland. The press wasn't the reason those people called out to William and Harry when they were doing that walkabout. That was PR exercise on the part of the RF, to appease the mob, and IMO it was appalling to have subjected them to it.

The press photographers only make money because people buy the magazines. I blame "the people" as much as, if not more than, the press. And Diana herself had a lot to do with it, since she played games with the press. She had her pets and initiated contact and manipulated her publicity to a certain extent, and when the relationship turned sour she suffered. Once she'd opened that stable door and that horse could not be put back in.

And she would not have been chased that fatal night if she had not run; there was no need for them to have left that hotel that night.

If William and Kate insist on going to places such as Mustique, they are going to be photographed. The more they complain about it, the more tempting it's going to be to find them and photograph them. It's got a lot to do with the challenge and the thrill of the chase.

I hope William steps back and considers their situation objectively, and to do that he has to look beyond his own experiences as Diana's son. I hope he takes advice and doesn't just dig his heels in and act out of emotion. But he is his mother's son, and Diana wasn't known for taking advice from people who gave advice she didn't like.
Great post, Roslyn. I completely agree with you.

And about the photoshoot again, even if they have tried it in the past and the press didn't respect it, as cepe said, the press seems to be changing at least a bit after the levenson inquiry. For a better relationship between W&H and the press, both sides have to change their ways and give steps forward in the deal. In recent times, the british press has given some: in both times Harry went to Afghanistan, the british press respected their deals, the Vegas photos were not published (except from the sun) as well as pap pictures of the three in their daily lives have not been published. The british press seems to have learnt a bit from the past and seems willing to start a new relationship, maybe it's time for William and Harry to start to put the past behind their backs.
Given this, the photoshoots could be tried again even if just as an experiment: if it doesn't work, it doesn't and the photoshoots stop.
But the foreign press would still be a problem and dificult to control when you holiday abroad. Either they accept this or starting to holiday at home is a good move
Old 02-11-2013, 12:27 PM
Aristocracy

Funny how so many seem to expect members of the Royal Family to put in a full 8 hour day opening and dedicating and appearing at all sorts of events. Except for Royal Tours and other PUBLIC appearances which are paid from the Civil Lists, the Duchess is not receiving any funds from the civil list or tax payers. So if she wants to sit home and knit booties until the birth of her first child, that is her prerogative. If she want to spend the majority of her time raising her children instead of competing with Princess Royal on number of public engagements, that is her prerogative.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Please note that all posts discussing the article that names William and Catherine has an inspirational couple, has been moved to http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...dge-34429.html .

It has nothing to do with their ACTUAL current events.

Closed Thread