The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Administrator

We are NOT going to speculate if the Cambridges will attend the events in the Netherlands (BP will announce the BRF representation in due time) or if something is wrong with Catherine.

Any and all questions, should be directed to a member of the moderation team via PM.

Any and all speculative posts will be deleted without notice.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Majesty

The palace never really explain the royals private holidays. They feel that it's part of their private life and they don't need to comment on it.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
I cannot believe they are not aware of what the public think. I also don't believe the PR machine is not working overtime to try and explain the holiday, etc. Either they really don't care what we think or there is something going on...
There's no need for any PR team to explain away anything the royal couple does in their own private time. To be honest, its none of our business what they do in their down time but for some perverse reason, the public seems to believe it is. Their PR team works to enhance their public lives and appearances

Another factor with this holiday is that I'm sure that Kate has been cleared by her doctor to travel. Personally I'm glad to know that she's feeling quite better and the worse of the HG has hopefully passed. I also expect Will and Kate to be making this trip yearly to Mustique with Kate's family. It seems to be becoming a family tradition just as Christmas at Sandringham is a tradition in the Windsor family.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
There's no need for any PR team to explain away anything the royal couple does in their own private time. To be honest, its none of our business what they do in their down time but for some perverse reason, the public seems to believe it is. Their PR team works to enhance their public lives and appearances

From some of the various internet commentary I am seeing about Will and Kate, and about Britain in general, with Britain in such dire economic times, the social contract between monarchy and public appears to be changing. It is not enough to be royal and bear children. The public now seems to expect something from every royal in exchange for the privilege of never having to worry about your job or where your next meal is coming from.

I am not saying this is right or wrong. I'm saying this objectively. Expectations are changing. The last vestiges of Divine Right are dead. From now on those in such exalted positions are going to be expected to show an empathy with the people. This is how I see things going.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
I fail to understand why my last post was deleted(as I said I was not speculating) but anyways not the point. Many people have been wondering what type of behind the scenes work could Wills and Kate be doing in there down time well here's one example from Hello Magazine
http://i47.tinypic.com/10htze1.png
Thanks for posting, I missed this article earlier.

It's lovely to see that William and Kate keep in touch with the people they meet. It really shows they care.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post

From some of the various internet commentary I am seeing about Will and Kate, and about Britain in general, with Britain in such dire economic times, the social contract between monarchy and public appears to be changing. It is not enough to be royal and bear children. The public now seems to expect something from every royal in exchange for the privilege of never having to worry about your job or where your next meal is coming from.

I am not saying this is right or wrong. I'm saying this objectively. Expectations are changing. The last vestiges of Divine Right are dead. From now on those in such exalted positions are going to be expected to show an empathy with the people. This is how I see things going.
I understand that point of view too. I think the Cambridges are trying to balance out their fulltime military life and their part-time royal life. William has mentioned that it's getting harder for them to do and I do think they will become fulltime royals soon.

The thing is they do their part though. They not only visited their charities but they accompanied The Queen on her Diamond Jubilee visit's around the country, they supported and participated in the London Olympics and Paralympics events and they embarked on their official Diamond Jubliee Tour. The Cambridges are doing their part but the complaints keep coming.

I too would like to see them doing more but I do realize that I have to be a little patient and wait for their official engagements to start up. I also understand that Catherine is pregnant. Every woman's pregnancy is different and she will have her good days and her bad days. So her public engagements may be a little spaced out. The palace has said that she is getting better and working behind the scenes.

I really don't think there's a pretty big public outcry for the Cambridges to make more appearences at this very minute. At least I haven't seen it in the news but I think they (the people) are happy to come out and see the young royal couple when they are out and about on their official engagements. I also think they appreciate the royals efforts in trying to raise awareness for worthy causes and using their royal platform to make a difference in peoples lives.

I just think there are some people on the internet who are growing impatient and making it seem like William & Catherine don't care about their charities and royal duty, when none of that is true.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

The problem is that there will always be complaints. When they were doing engagements last year, people complained that they weren't doing the right type of engagements. Then during the Jubilee tour, there were complaints that they were getting too much attention and stealing the limelight from the other members of the BRF. During the Olympics, people complained that they were tired of seeing them and didn't think their involvment should count as official engagements.

Realistically they're not going to be able to please everyone and their best bet is to follow the advice of the Queen. She's obviously fine with the way things are progressing, and I'm sure she'll make it known when she feels they need to start full-time duties.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:55 PM
Majesty

The palace has stated that The Duchess of Cambridge will return to royal duties. So she will carry out some official engagements during her pregnancy. We have to keep in mind that she have Hyperemesis gravidarum and although they have said that she's feeling better, I'm sure Catherine will follow her doctors advice. If she have to rest for a period of time and take it easy, that's what she will do. I don't think it's fair to her or the baby for people to use her sickness to say she's lazy and don't care about her royal life. I think that's totally unfair to her.

Also, those royal ladies that I mentioned above are fulltime royals, so obviously they're schedules are a bit different from Catherine's.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Courtier

Wow, there are a lot of vicious comments posted after media articles regarding their current holiday. This is going to be a big problem for them.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Wow, there are a lot of vicious comments posted after media articles regarding their current holiday. This is going to be a big problem for them.
Some of those comments are always negative. Even when the royal couple are out on their official engagements. It's pretty much the same folks commenting over and over again and I have learned to ignore those comments.

Also, the DM knows how to drum up comments like that.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Perhaps those comments also stem back to GracieGiraffe's remark about the public expectations of royalty today.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Also 3 of those ladies mentioned above were married to the direct heir to the throne, were full time working royals, and members of very small royal families. In the UK we have no shortage of working royals that carry out about 6000 engagements a year, so I doubt there are any charities crying because they lack a royal patron and the ones Catherine is currently patron of do not seem to complain about lack of involvement on her part.
Why do people seem to have such a hard time grasping the idea that she is not a full time working royal? It doesn't seem to be that difficult a concept.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:11 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Somtimes I really start to think that the DM and other rags hire these commentators just to stir up the pot. I wouldn't take anything posted as a commentary to a DM (or elsewhere) article seriously... ever.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Not really. There were the same amount of negative comments when they took a vacation last year. And if you take a look at the latest article on Bea and Eugenie, you'll see all kinds of vicious commens. This is nothing new...it happens all the time.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think that when people feel financial stress in their own lives, they start taking notice of other people's circumstances.

I'm not saying that Kate does not work, as I stated elsewhere, we have no real idea of what she does behind the scenes all day long. We have no idea of her physical condition, or her anxiety level with living life in the public eye. I have no idea if the term "lazy" applies to her or not (but the perception is that she is). While I can't tell you if she's lazy or not, I'll go out on a limb and suggest that her life is a living hell.

Let's detail Catherine's year, shall we? Where does one begin?

1) Every detail of her clothing and personal appearance is criticized. From too much eyeliner to too much hair to how she waves at people to her outfits.
2) The woman's midsection has been analyzed and over analyzed and gazed upon and commented upon by every person on the planet with eyes and a mouthpiece
3) Her work detail is criticized, and when she does a public engagement such as the Olympics, it's not "work." It's true that she does not have the stress of being fired, but she's got to sit there while the cameras are on her 24/7 hoping to catch something that will go viral, negative or positive.
4) The topless photos and and the lawsuit. Should we even go there? While she's on some all important all week tour of Asia with Will, and she's trying to make a good impression on people, she knows, and everyone else knows those topless photos are floating around. Talk about a white elephant.
5) She gets pregnant and is so damn sick with nausea she is dehydrated and is admitted. Then some DJ's decide to play a prank on the hospital and a nurse decides to hang herself over it. Meanwhile. you're laying in that bed, sick as a dog already, and knowing all this is going on.
6) Your portrait is unveiled and it becomes a laughingstock. It goes viral and the comedic parodies of it mirror Beatrice's wedding fascinator. She might start to wonder if she's some sort of curse.
7) Meanwhile, she's emotional, sick and pregnant.
8) Now she's on holiday with Will, and whether they "deserve" it or "earned" it or anything else, the trip is going to suck knowing the backlash they face.

I don't think that their trip was the best public relations move in the world, but with all of the chaos surrounding her every move, now that she's pregnant, maybe, just maybe, going out and facing the sheer hysteria of the public and press is all a bit too much. But people are not going to understand that it is too stressful to work under these circumstances, but you're okay to fly off to the Caribbean.

I don't know what the answer here is. The public is angry, every angry. The situation is untenable the way that it is. Untenable for everyone.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Aristocracy

Crown Princess Victoria isn't married to a direct heir she is the heir...
Old 02-05-2013, 09:57 PM
Courtier

William a full time Rescue Pilot for goodness sake isn't that work.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:37 PM
Courtier

The public is angry, very angry? Are we considering the Daily Mail commentators and the people who visited these royal forums the public now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
William a full time Rescue Pilot for goodness sake isn't that work.
According to some, it's not work it's an hobby. It's an excused to not do real work.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:14 PM
Gentry

As an individual with a chronic illness? If I had an end point of my torture (in Kate's case, HG) either achieved or in sight, I'd be thrilled for an end to the pain. But before stepping back into a very public job, yes, I'd want to recharge my batteries.

The timing sucks as far as public reception, but I have only sympathy. Kate NEEDS this. To have gone straight from sick to working would be so draining and demoralizing for her. It wouldn't be in anyone's best interests.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
According to some, it's not work it's an hobby. It's an excused to not do real work.
I understand that their decision to take a vacation right now is going to yield some backlash. But saying that a Sea King helicopter pilot's work is just a hobby is unfair. A very close friend of mine is also a rescue pilot and I can assure you that it's REAL work. Difficult, dangerous, technical, team-contributing, long shifted work. Anyone who wants to treat this kind of work like a hobby is weeded out in military process long before training begins. It's simply too dangerous to put the controls of a machine like a Sea King in the hands of someone who is not highly skilled.

Closed Thread