Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 4: September 2012-February 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Catherine can go topless for the world to see, ...

The little preposition 'for' in this sentence makes the meaning entirely different from the meaning of this sentence.

She went topless, the world saw. My statement is correct, whether you find it offensive or not both parts are true.
Using "for" in the first sentence causes it to mean that Catherine had the goal or purpose that the world see, I disagree, I don't believe that this was her intent.
The latter sentence omits the preposition and has an entirely different meaning.

I am quite curious as to what they were celebrating. We so seldom read of William and Catherine going out to private parties these days, the last time I can recall, other than weddings, was for Prince Phillip's birthday.

I believe the Duchess of Cambridge has very fine qualities and all she is trying to do is her job.

All the royal princesses do their job to the best of their ability. There is no need to compare. They are each different people. Not better or worse but each unique.

I agree, Grandma828.

Then they need to get over it. I can understand not looking happy because it was a tough day for William, but they're going to be papped everywhere and they were outside of a club on their way home, it's not it's private property (but then again;))

But noone can force them to smile to the photographers in this situation? And honestly, I don't see the need for these pics to be published at all. Where's the news? Yes, they exist. We already knew that. They live in London. Dito. They go out sometimes. Whoa, that's news...

Am I the only person who has not seen these topless photos?? Catherine on her worse day is light-years ahead of any European Princess. The fans of certain Scandinavian princesses need to put the claws away

I've not seen any of the pictures either and won't be going to look for them. That's basically because my interest in royalty is in what they do and how they live their lives as members of a royal family. Not scandals and cheap shots by paps. The lives of royals no matter what country they come from are constantly under scrutiny which is why we call it living in a royal fishbowl. Personally as far as the paps outside the night club, I really don't think either William or Kate gave them much thought. They were going home and were probably tired. They just didn't ham it up for the cameras and to me that just said that they were ignoring them. IIRC, when they were photographed leaving KP in the helicopter, they weren't smiling either but just getting on with life.

ETA: Actually went back and looked at the helicopter picture and um... they weren't in it so I don't know if they were smiling or not.

Last edited:
Prince William’s personal secretary Helen Asprey, is to be made a Lieutenant of the Royal Victorian Order.

Congrats to Helen.

Lately, it looks like they aren't even together; they're just in the same place. Anyway, all this scowling by W is making him look like a spoiled brat.

Lately, it looks like they aren't even together; they're just in the same place. Anyway, all this scowling by W is making him look like a spoiled brat.
All the scowling?

Last edited by a moderator:

Right now I think they've had it with cameras focused on them. As we've seen with both William and Kate's interactions over the past couple of days, they've been photographed with wide smiles, giving hugs and in William's case, somber emotional expressions. They were also acting in official capacities too. I don't blame him for scowling at the media right now when they are on private activities. They should not be expected to bow down, chant moo and eat purple grass in honor of the Almighty Paparazzi each time they get in their faces.

I think William and Kate are most definitely defining the lines of what they will and will not tolerate in their lives. Unless they set the limits now, it will be so much harder to do in the future and one thing the press does want to do is remain on the good side of the fence with the Cambridges.

Kitty Atlanta, I don't know what you meant about that. The Cambridges are doing very well at working together as a team, imo.

Right now I think they've had it with cameras focused on them. As we've seen with both William and Kate's interactions over the past couple of days, they've been photographed with wide smiles, giving hugs and in William's case, somber emotional expressions. They were also acting in official capacities too. I don't blame him for scowling at the media right now when they are on private activities. They should not be expected to bow down, chant moo and eat purple grass in honor of the Almighty Paparazzi each time they get in their faces.

I think William and Kate are most definitely defining the lines of what they will and will not tolerate in their lives. Unless they set the limits now, it will be so much harder to do in the future and one thing the press does want to do is remain on the good side of the fence with the Cambridges.

Well said Osipi! The royals (and many celebs) have never been in the habit of posing for pretty pictures after private events on the town. The attitude is usually - give the paps nothing very sale-able, get in the car and leave.

I am quite curious as to what they were celebrating. We so seldom read of William and Catherine going out to private parties these days, the last time I can recall, other than weddings, was for Prince Phillip's birthday.

I did read somewhere that the party was to celebrate a book launching (no, not Pippa's, that's not for another two weeks).
But I don't know who the author was.

Kate did seem to be holding a pamphlet or card when she was leaving.

KittyAtlanta said:

Im not sure he was scowling. He doesn't have a smile plastered on his face 24/7, but that hardly means he's a spoiled brat or scowling.

Also, they've done tons of stuff together and there are lots of warm pics of them working together.

Also, this had to be a tough day for W.

Yeah, they were also somberly dressed. So it looks like they had a nice outing but mantained a proper mood.

Unlike video - where you can see consecutive and successive facial movements and body language, I don't think you can tell anything from still photos. All you're really seeing is a moment frozen in time.

Others look at the still photos of Wills and Kate outside of the Mayfair club/restaurant and characterize their expressions as "glum" or as being that of a "spoiled brat".

But when I look at the same photos, I see a couple who are merely adopting expressionless faces.

Too long discussion..may i join..

I am basically happy that William and Kate are going in the real 'royal' way..like Princess Anne and Queen..Keep the paps where they should be..
Not like his ever-lamented mother..once you give them a little lenience, they will start manipulating and dictating your whole life..he has learnt useful lessons..for which she will be very happy..

Last edited:
Yes, I really don't see why they have any obligation to smile or act falsely animated when a photographer gets in their faces at midnight when they're walking out of a private club. They're not working, they're not representing the Queen, they're not doing anything inherently newsworthy, and, (you have to think), they're not overjoyed to see the cameras. Why should they give the photographers more interesting shots by making eye contact or pasting on fake smiles?

Royals aren't obliged to always be enthusiastic, energetic and consistently happy to see anyone who crosses their path - that is the description of a Golden Retriever, not a human being.

KittyAtlanta said:

To me, he just looks exhausted; both, physically and mentally (more of the latter I'm sure). I'd imagine that if we had to attend a funeral of someone who was close to us, we won't be too keen to ham it up to cameras and gutter press that is not supposed to intrude on private time. Ease up on them. They are doing the best that they can.

William's face looked neutral to me, but assuming arguendo that William is 'scowling' is it because:
a) he's a spoiled brat, or
b) he's a young man dealing w/
the gutter press hounding his wife in much the same way they tragically hounded his mother
a brother/best friend serving on the front lines in a war
the funeral of a beloved nanny
balancing the search and rescue work he seems to love with his increasing Royal responsibilities

Last edited:
It seems so silly to read a facial expression and say the person is spoiled. As you have so often said KittyAtlanta...apples and oranges.

It seems so silly to read a facial expression and say the person is spoiled. As you have so often said KittyAtlanta...apples and oranges.
To quote KittyAtlanta :
"Anyway, all this scowling by W is making him look like a spoiled brat."

I really don't think KittyAtlanta was calling William a spoiled brat at all but was pointing out that he's been scowling like a petulant child or spoiled child would which I can plainly see in some of William's scowls (having had 3 children, I KNOW a petulant child when I see one :D)

When William is feeling an emotion I think it really comes out in his facial expressions. He's a sensitive guy for sure.

I think they need to have a break and down time. After Olga's funeral and the busy week they had, they were both physically and emotionally exhausted. Knackered. Last thing they wanted to do is have to pose for photos.

Of course he would be scowling. After everything the paps have learnt nothing and they still have no respect for their privacy.

Of course he would be scowling. After everything the paps have learnt nothing and they still have no respect for their privacy.

To be fair (and I can't believe I'm trying to be fair to the press!) a single photo can make or break a career.
There's an enormous amount of cash involved for anyone who gets that money shot!

It's easy to say they should be ashamed of hounding people, but who knows? If any of us was in that line of work, perhaps we would do exactly the same.

Even if he looked "petulant" for some, for me this is okay - all the time people ask for honesty and claim they don't like it when people are "fake" - but complain once we see an honest sign of tiredness or even displeasure on the face of a Royal. Can't have it all, can you?

I think they need to have a break and down time. After Olga's funeral and the busy week they had, they were both physically and emotionally exhausted. Knackered. Last thing they wanted to do is have to pose for photos.

They inaugurated a football facility, the next day she went to the north and he had a dinner with important women, they are taken everywhere in helicopter! That makes 3 engagements each in a week that take no more than 2/3 hours!!! exhausted of what???:bang:

Guys
Could we please do without the personal invective directed at members with whom you disagree. Argue the point, certainly, but avoid the personal as it can be unnecessarily offensive and doesn't make for a friendly and enjoyable atmosphere.
I'll also take the opportunity to point out that "Zzzzzzzz" is not a meaningful statement and will be removed as an empty post.

thanks,
Warren
British Forums moderator

Last edited:
They inaugurated a football facility, the next day she went to the north and he had a dinner with important women, they are taken everywhere in helicopter! That makes 3 engagements each in a week that take no more than 2/3 hours!!! exhausted of what???:bang:

They aren't taken everywhere by helicopter, and whilst I agree there is no reason to be exhausted after doing two days of work attending the funeral of your nanny who cared for you through some of the most traumatic times of you life is something to be emotionally exhausted over.

I think the 'burden' of being the most famous and recognisable princess in the world must be quite taxing and mentally exhausting. HRH holds up well under the constant glare of the world's collective media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom