Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 4: September 2012-February 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been a dew posts stating that it has not been proven that William complained to anyone; so why are some in this thread actig like it is definitely the truth that he did complain?
I'm thinking he has because otherwise why would the palace's pr people have complained to the press I don't think they can just do that one their own. No one physically said William went and complained but both DM and Niraj have acknowledged that their was some sort of complaint from the palace about the photos.

Last edited:
Veyr mixed attitude to the press and pictures - totally agree with William and Kate asking for privacy at the middleton family home over christmas - but the pictures that were taken are outside church in a public place. Anyone could have taken these pictures - paps or passerbys or local church goers. I do think these church pictures arent obtrusive - we have pictures of Kate etc attending weddings and essentially that is the same as these christmas day pictures. It seems from what has been reported their protection officers made no attempts to shield the couple or move press away - in fact space was made for them to take pictures. At the end of the day if they didnt want to be pictured then they should have remained at the Middleton family home.

Agree 100%!!! The palace should get a reality check and only complain when its worth complaining. Whats next, pictures of Kate cant be taken when she is on a shopping trip because its "private"?

"I had been the only photographer with the Cambridges as they finished their arduous tour on the Pacific atoll of Tuvalu. Now, on the way home via Australia, Wills and Kate were scrolling through my handiwork. Laughter filled the air as they looked at the slideshow on my laptop while I sat at the back of the jet. A few minutes later William came down to see me with my computer and pointed at one of my frames. It showed him wearing a natty, traditional floral garland balanced on his head. “Please, Arthur, could you not put this picture out?” the Duke of Cambridge asked with a smile. I replied: “It’s too late, sir, the pictures have gone back to London. What don’t you like about it?” The Prince replied: “I like it but the lads at the air base will pin it up on my locker and will write nasty comments all over it.” I said: “They can’t do that, sir, you’re a captain.” He smiled again: “That won’t stop them.” The tour had begun badly, with the publication of topless pictures of Kate taken in France. It was ending with the couple looking joyful and radiant. I told Wills: “I’d just like to say that your missus has done a brilliant job on this tour and you must be very proud of her.” “Yes,” he said, “That’s why I married her."

Arthur Edwards - The Sun (via a-royal-love-affair)

That's a very nice story from Arthur Edwards. I know William is very pround of his wife.

Being in a public space doesn't make you public property - you don't have to tolerate being followed around (it's called stalking, you know?);

I'm a professional media-officer; when I'm on duty and talk for my company, of course my image and my voice is for publication - if I'm out on private matters (church, taking kids to school, shopping, vacation) this is private - so no one has the right to take or publish my image without my consent .. what is so hard to gasp about that?

The same thing applies basically to the Cambridges. There wheren't doing any public function - that was a private church visit to worship. AND moreover they ASKED for privacy beforehand (which was agreed on) BUT the DM thought they could do as they liked.

Love this: "I told Wills: “I’d just like to say that your missus has done a brilliant job on this tour and you must be very proud of her.” “Yes,” he said, “That’s why I married her.”

Love this: "I told Wills: “I’d just like to say that your missus has done a brilliant job on this tour and you must be very proud of her.” “Yes,” he said, “That’s why I married her.”

They really are a close and loving couple. I love that quote by William :)

Agree 100%!!! The palace should get a reality check and only complain when its worth complaining. Whats next, pictures of Kate cant be taken when she is on a shopping trip because its "private"?

That is exactly the point; when the Duchess is NOT out in official capacity, she shouldn't be subjected to being photographed. She was not out on a public engagement on Christmas Day, so no pictures shoukd have been taken.

"I had been the only photographer with the Cambridges as they finished their arduous tour on the Pacific atoll of Tuvalu. Now, on the way home via Australia, Wills and Kate were scrolling through my handiwork. Laughter filled the air as they looked at the slideshow on my laptop while I sat at the back of the jet. A few minutes later William came down to see me with my computer and pointed at one of my frames. It showed him wearing a natty, traditional floral garland balanced on his head. “Please, Arthur, could you not put this picture out?” the Duke of Cambridge asked with a smile. I replied: “It’s too late, sir, the pictures have gone back to London. What don’t you like about it?” The Prince replied: “I like it but the lads at the air base will pin it up on my locker and will write nasty comments all over it.” I said: “They can’t do that, sir, you’re a captain.” He smiled again: “That won’t stop them.” The tour had begun badly, with the publication of topless pictures of Kate taken in France. It was ending with the couple looking joyful and radiant. I told Wills: “I’d just like to say that your missus has done a brilliant job on this tour and you must be very proud of her.” “Yes,” he said, “That’s why I married her."

Arthur Edwards - The Sun (via a-royal-love-affair)

That's a very nice story from Arthur Edwards. I know William is very pround of his wife.

A lovely read. Thank you for sharing. Seems as if Wills is indeed just 'one of the lads' on base :D. Hopefully the teasing wasn't too bad.

Being in a public space doesn't make you public property - you don't have to tolerate being followed around (it's called stalking, you know?);

I'm a professional media-officer; when I'm on duty and talk for my company, of course my image and my voice is for publication - if I'm out on private matters (church, taking kids to school, shopping, vacation) this is private - so no one has the right to take or publish my image without my consent .. what is so hard to gasp about that?

The same thing applies basically to the Cambridges. There wheren't doing any public function - that was a private church visit to worship. AND moreover they ASKED for privacy beforehand (which was agreed on) BUT the DM thought they could do as they liked.

I agree 100%.

My favorite part as well. Says so much about their relationship.

Thank you for your insight into the world of media relations.

I didn´t see anyona complain here when the thousands if pictures of Kate and William on vacation were published, throughout their long relationship, au contraire, they are more than welcome. No, royals cannot use the press whenever they feel like being photographed, when they are in good spirits, or had a good day. If the paps hadn´t taken the pics in France we wouldn´t have found that William had taken another vacation when he should have been al the Paralympics.
If he really complained this time, he´s turning into a very bitter man, and he´s only 30! And his fans are more papist than the Pope.

If the paps hadn´t taken the pics in France we wouldn´t have found that William had taken another vacation when he should have been al the Paralympics.
If he really complained this time, he´s turning into a very bitter man, and he´s only 30! And his fans are more papist than the Pope.

I don't understand your message here: why should he like the fact that he was pictured on vacation with his wife? And why does trying to protect his pregnant wife make him a bitter man? And where are his "fans" more protective about William and Catherine than they are themselves? He did complain or not while even his supporters liked the christmas pics?

Sorry, from your post I only get that you don't like William and Catherine, all else doesn't make sense to me.

What must be understood is that the media environment has changed in the UK over the last few years as the law breaking and morally repugnant activities of the press have been revealed to the public. What was acceptable 5 years ago may not be acceptable now.

I laugh when people from abroad say that in the UK we obviously don't have a free press since the Daily Mail took these pictures down. Anyone thinking that knows absolutely nothing about the UK. Our press has been so free for so long that they routinely broke the law, made innocent people's lives utter hell, acted as if the right to privacy didn't exist for anyone, so they could scoop their competitors with a story about who Charlotte Church was dating next or whatever. The press has been essentially unregulated in the UK. The banks had 'light touch' regulation; the press had nonexistent regulation.

Ironically, it was Prince William who unwittingly discovered the extent of the press's law breaking when he figured out that his phone had been hacked by journalists at the News of the World. I'm sure Fleet St love him for that. The press simply have to deal with the fact what they got away with previously is irrelevant. They shot themselves in the foot big time, and the price they're going to have to pay for that is to be more respectful of the right to privacy which every person, royal or otherwise, is entitled to in the UK.

Last edited:
I think sanity can be brought to this subject by asking ourselves "If I were there at that moment would I have snapped a photo?" Be honest, of course you would have (as I would have, too.) It is much ado about nothing.

I think sanity can be brought to this subject by asking ourselves "If I were there at that moment would I have snapped a photo?" Be honest, of course you would have (as I would have, too.) It is much ado about nothing.

The issue isn't someone snapping a photo or photos, this happens all the time. The decision of the Daily Mail to publish photos from a church service they knew in advance was private is the issue.

Britain has a free press, along with some of the best and most repugnant (IMO) newspapers in the world.

The BRF family have every right to make agreements with the press over what are considered public engagements (and thus newsworthy) and private and personal engagements (not newsworthy)

The photo editor of the Daily Mail told the Levenson Inquiry into shoddy media practices, the DM receives over 400 photos of Pippa Middleton each day, 99 percent of which are not newsworthy nor in the public interest, so they are not published.

The same goes for Catherine, if the DM publishes every private photo of Catherine it receives, they will have to issue a special edition each week.

The Palace was correct to remind the Daily Mail that although photos surfaced of the William and Catherine on Christmas Day, publishing the photos broke an agreement the Daily Mail themselves agreed to.

Nothing wrong with holding the press to their own word, especially because the reputation of the British press at the moment, is in the gutter.

Last edited:
At this point, I think W&K are definitely the most photographed couple and most talked about. They are entitled to privacy but IMO they'll never really have it because of who they are.

What must be understood is that the media environment has changed in the UK over the last few years as the law breaking and morally repugnant activities of the press have been revealed to the public. What was acceptable 5 years ago may not be acceptable now.

I laugh when people from abroad say that in the UK we obviously don't have a free press since the Daily Mail took these pictures down. Anyone thinking that knows absolutely nothing about the UK. Our press has been so free for so long that they routinely broke the law, made innocent people's lives utter hell, acted as if the right to privacy didn't exist for anyone, so they could scoop their competitors with a story about who Charlotte Church was dating next or whatever. The press has been essentially unregulated in the UK. The banks had 'light touch' regulation; the press had nonexistent regulation.

Ironically, it was Prince William who unwittingly discovered the extent of the press's law breaking when he figured out that his phone had been hacked by journalists at the News of the World. I'm sure Fleet St love him for that. The press simply have to deal with the fact what they got away with previously is irrelevant. They shot themselves in the foot big time, and the price they're going to have to pay for that is to be more respectful of the right to privacy which every person, royal or otherwise, is entitled to in the UK.

Yes, I'd be more sympathetic to the British press as a whole if it had a track record of behaving professionally or a history of responsible self regulation. Instead what I see is a group of people who went after the royals like rabid dogs from the mid 80s right up until the last couple of years. They've been superficially playing nice - sometimes - over the last little while only because they've been well and truly cowed and realize they're going to be in a weaker position going forward than they've been in the past.

I also think the press needs to get used to the fact that, in terms of his attitude towards the media, William is more like his grandparents than either of his parents. He seems to recognize a certain amount of press coverage is a necessary part of official royal life but there's not going to be any of the coy, teasing, love/hate dramatic nonsense both Charles and Diana intermittently engaged in with various media.

In my work I had personal contact with high profil artist, politicians like US President, sportsman, from the economy etc. - people everybody knows of. I never took a private foto of these people - and I never would; and even if I have got a private foto with that person I never would publish it on facebook or any other way. That's what privacy is about.

And no I'm not a C&W fan - I'm in this forum because I like to see pic of the Queen who so very much reminds me of my late mother - they look like sisters on a lot of pictures. And I love the Jewels :)

I also never asked anyone of those people I worked with for an autogram; I don't b

phil dampier ‏@phildampier Duchess of Cambridge might not travel abroad next year on any royal visits because of her baby. Will William go it alone for short tours?

(^I know this has been mentioned in another thread but since it mentioned Wills I thought I'd put it here too)

These quotes are coming from I believe a tv special which aired Monday not sure I'm kinda confused tbh
Kate Debate ‏@RoyalKateDebate
Talking to the royal journos in the Solomon Islands about the topless pictures, William said 'nobody died' #arightroyalyear

Kate Debate ‏@RoyalKateDebate
William agreed with journos that the topless pics couldn't have been worse timing, but the lawyers were dealing with it. #arightroyaltour

picture posted from the Telegraph was the picture taken when Kate emerged from the hospital a few weeks ago. Not taken recently in Norfolk.

I have to agree with you - I would have wanted a pic - even a bad one!

I NEVER approach celebs - they really do not care to meet me - so I let them have space. But, when I see, them, I do watch them. It is a weakness, I know. ;)

Taking a picture is one thing, selling it to the media for millions and for millions to see is another. Why some people can't grasp or refuse to understand the difference between a public figure having a right to privacy is beyond me. Just because William is a prince shouldn't mean he gets photographed every waking moment of his life. Why is it so hard to just get pictures when he is doing his public job and leave him alone when he isn't on the clock?

I'll be 110% honest. I loved waking up Christmas morning and seeing pics of William and Catherine at church because tbh I didn't think we'd see them at all. At that point though I had no clue about the agreement. And I still really don't know what I feel when it comes to all this kinda torn, I see both sides of the story tbh.

Taking a picture is one thing, selling it to the media for millions and for millions to see is another. Why some people can't grasp or refuse to understand the difference between a public figure having a right to privacy is beyond me. Just because William is a prince shouldn't mean he gets photographed every waking moment of his life. Why is it so hard to just get pictures when he is doing his public job and leave him alone when he isn't on the clock?

Well said! I share your sentiments and agree with you 100%.

I'm happy to hear they will spend some time with Charles and Camilla.
I don't know if theses sources are true or not. I think Pippa is hosting a party in new year's eve and William and Kate will be there just like last year:flowers:

They are suppose to be flying to Birkhall after Sandringham. Pippa is hosting a party in Scotland?

I believe she's hosting a party in Bucklebury:flowers:

I'd be surprised if they were there then. Last year, they did Christmas at Sandrigham so it made sense for Kate to get New Year with her family. This year, since they were with her family for Christmas, I imagine it's more likely that they'll be with Charles and Camilla for New Year than it is that they'll head back to Bucklebiury.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom