William, Catherine and Family: Annual Holiday to Mustique (2012-2015, 2018-2019)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely agree with you, cepe. Stoping the hostility towards the media could clearly help them and they need to start to distinguish the papparazzi (with whom they can make no deal) from the press (with whom they could possibly make deals).

The photoshoot idea (like other royal families do) could not work for a variety of reasons:
- while they could make deals with the british press, making deals with foreign media, such as the US, is virtually impossible. so there would always be some magazine publishing them abroad
- everyone is a potential papparazzo, as someone has mentioned, and logically is impossible to control this thing
The photoshoot works with other royal families because since they are far less famous they don't seem to suffer from the first problem (foreign press) and also people in their countries seem to be more concious of the royal's privacy, thus they don't face the second problem.

Nonetheless, I thing they should try. As an experiment, to see how it works. Even if it didn't work in moments like this, of holidays abroad, at least when in their daily moments back in the UK, the press could leave them alone

Last edited:
Pregnant Kate + Holiday = Bikini = Bump photos. It's a no brainer for the paps. ;)

If Diana made deals and they still hounded her to death perhaps WnKnH are going a different route. I don't disagree wih the idea of them being kind and open to a select few who have proven to be honorable; but I definitely don't want to see them make buddy buddy with the mad mags out there jus in the hopes they will act civilized.

Yep, I see them going the opposite way of his mother. He saw that it didn't work for her, so he's not even going down that road.

Although William isn't fond of photographers, there do seem to be one or two that he is comfortable around. Arthur Edwards told a story about how during the trip home from Tuvalu, Kate and William were looking through his (Edwards) photos and joking around. He said William asked him not to publish one of the pictures, because the guys at the base would make fun of it. :lol:

Last edited:
When Kate gives birth, the paps will try and scale the outside of the hospital and peer into the window as they did at Crown Princess Victoria's birth in 1977.

As long as people are willing to click on the articles with such photos, these two will never have privacy. No deals are possible. Even if she were seen everyday out and about, the photos will have a bounty on them because they are not photos of her working. (Not trying to rehash that argument here - just saying this is why a deal is now virtually impossible.)

Robert Jobson ‏@theroyaleditor Kate bump pics: It is unclear whether photographer was on Mustique or if new snaps were taken from a boat offshore.
Robert Jobson ‏@theroyaleditor
Kate bump pics: Royal aide said: “This is unfortunate. They get absolutely no privacy whatsoever.”
Kate "bump" pics: Palace officials described that intrusion as “grotesque and totally unjustifiable”.
Kate bump pics: This was surely inevitable from the moment they stepped onto the plane to Mustique? It is unfair, but paps supply a market.

But then there's the holiday. I think choosing such an expensive and distant destination at the current time demonstrates another error of judgment on their part.

Willem-Alexander and Maxima goe to Argentina to be with Maxima's parents and William & Catherine go to Mustique to be with her parents - where's the difference? Or maybe Catherine just wants to enjoy a bit of time without having to wear warm, fastly becoming too tight clothes? In the UK it's winter, in Mustique eternal spring- which is the nicest season for a mother-to-be. Not too warm but definately nicer than winter.

I think the Cambridge's privacy should be respected but if there pictures out there, I think the royal couple should've expected that to happen. Those paps is just waiting to get pictures of the Catherine's bump. If true, I hope none of the pics are published. Leave those folks alone.

OK, so the UK media can't publish the pictures,

They can. They choose not to.
If these guys expected anything less than this, from any media worldwide they were kidding themselves.

on the other hand, a couple of pictures boarding a plane out of a whole holiday of one week does not seem like harrasing.
people like knowing about them and they don't perform a huge amount of engagements at this stage: maybe if the press office of the RF rethought their strategy for them, and if people were used to seeing them more, the paps would not be chasing them for pictures on their private holiday. maybe something as simple as a photocall at the start of the vacation (like the dutch or the danish royals do) would satisfy their curiosity.

I think it's an idea that could work. Even though the paps wouldn't agree to it, the existence of the fairly taken photos would reduce the value of the photos taken by the paps. If papers publish a few photos of them on vacation, then another snap taken by the paps would not be so newsworthy. Unfortunately, for the Duke and Duchess, they will still not have the freedom to do whatever they want because there will still be money out there for photos like those in France but the value of the ordinary vacation photos will plummet.

People saw them all the time during the jubilee and olympics and that still didn't stop the paparazzi

I feel sorry for them but I think they were expecting it could happen again.

What to expect when she hasn't been seen for such a long time? . Everybody wants to see her bump.

I fear the pics will spread all over the internet.

People suggesting arranged photo shoots with the UK press are missing one rather salient point - the royals have tried this before and it did not work. Charles and the boys used to pose for the press on their ski holidays, at Balmoral, at Highgrove, at St. Andrews etc. etc. but it didn't change anything. The photographers were still popping out of bushes at Balmoral trying to get their exclusives. Nor did it stop the British papers hacking the royals' phones for some juicy headlines.

The press shot themselves in the foot when it comes to William, Kate and Harry when they chose to run the photos of Harry in Las Vegas last year. The newspapers knew that Harry was heading to Afghanistan within days for a 5-month tour of duty. They knew he was enjoying one last hurrah with his mates before heading off to the most dangerous country on earth. They knew he was in his private hotel room. Did that stop The Sun printing the pictures? No. Harry's deep anger about that was clear in his interviews in Afghan and, given he and Harry are so close, I'd bet my cotton socks William feels exactly the same. The British press are beyond contempt, not only in how they treat the royals but in how they treat everyone, even the parents of murdered schoolgirls.

Frederik and Mary can arrange a photo shoot in Verbier, Willem-Alexander can do the same in Argentina/Italy/Greece (or whichever holiday home they're staying in) etc. etc. and they'll be left alone because the overseas press aren't interested in them to any great degree. William, Kate and Harry don't have that option.

The story of these pics broke a little while ago and luckily I've not seen one report of them being published any where.

I know its too much to hope for but maybe, just maybe with the British press refusing to buy and publish them, other publications are following their lead and saying "enough is enough". I really think the key to stopping this kind of invasion of privacy lies within the press media themselves. Refusing to buy and publish pictures that were gained by sneaky means by over zealous photographers sends out a clear message that this sort of thing is unacceptable. I sincerely hope this happens but I'm not going to hold my breath.

The press shot themselves in the foot when it comes to William, Kate and Harry when they chose to run the photos of Harry in Las Vegas last year.

Yeah because that's the only reason William and Henry hate the press. :lol:

The only staged photosessions I've seen were on Ski holidays (last one being 2006?) and when the boys went to school. In 30 years, where both boys went from school to further education/military and all we saw were them falling out of clubs at 3am almost every weekend. I'd think William and Henry are the ones who need a bit of good press on their side.

Yes the press new about Henry's deployment and that Vegas was a few days before, however do you really expect national newspapers to forgo the oppurtunity to print pictures of a naked heir to throne? Henry dug his own press loving whole.

Other royal couples can have their photosessions which then allow them holiday privacy because the overseas press isn't interested in them is correct. They're not interested because continental royal families, most of them anyway, manage to keep their noses away from anything untoward.

Last edited:
I'm not sure these pics exist at all - yet. Maybe the paparazzi didn't get them because W&C were too careful and hope that they lessen their guards when they hear that the pics were already been taken...

Well if the public stopped buying these rags, then the market for these invasive photos would dry up. For the record I haven't bought a "New Idea", "Women's Weekly", "Woman's Day" or other of these types of magazine in over 10 years.

Same here Trillian...I haven't bought any magazines since Diana's death.

LaRae

When Kate gives birth, the paps will try and scale the outside of the hospital and peer into the window as they did at Crown Princess Victoria's birth in 1977.

As long as people are willing to click on the articles with such photos, these two will never have privacy. No deals are possible. Even if she were seen everyday out and about, the photos will have a bounty on them because they are not photos of her working. (Not trying to rehash that argument here - just saying this is why a deal is now virtually impossible.)

Yes,as long as people are interested in W&C private life,they will never stop hunting them with their cameras-which also implies that we (who read articles about the couple and enjoy looking at the pictures)are also partly responsible for this intrusion in their privacy.We should always be aware of this!!!
And please,everyone-don´t look at pictures that were done in a semi-legal way (like Kate´s holyday pics or Prince Harry´s Las Vegas photos!)as this would only encourage and promote such paparazzis.

Normal photocalls are part of the royal job,the Duke&Duchess are prepared for it and we can freely enjoy their images.:flowers:

However (just as an idea - don't bite my head off) its the owners that buy the pix. If the BRF did more offical picture shoots etc as the other royal families do, they could (possibly) reduce thge need for pap shots.

I'm not so sure about that. There was an article just today in "Norway Today" about the Norwegian Royal Family being unhappy with excessive and intrusive (my words) media coverage of them. The article may be in the Norwegian section.

I feel sorry for them but I think they were expecting it could happen again.

What to expect when she hasn't been seen for such a long time? . Everybody wants to see her bump.

I fear the pics will spread all over the internet.

It just occurred to me what a perfect vehicle baby bump pics would be for spreading some kind of virus, worm, malware, etc. I'm not saying to do it, but it would be a way to spread an infection quickly.

I think is great william and catherine go to vacations, Its good for a pregnant woman, I still remenber the beautiful photos of diana when she was pregnant with wiliam in bermudas. May be in a cuople days we can see photos of william and catherine

I still haven't heard about any hostility WnH have shown towards the press; but a part from what happened to their mom, if I was William I would be livid at the press die to the violation of Kate last year. Yes they didn't publish the photos, but they created the situation where stalkers are moved to take pix like that.

Seems the paparazzi has been more than busy over this weekend. Along with the supposed pictures of William and Kate in Mustique, here in the States Justin Beiber has been reportedly pulled over for speeding over 100 mph on the LA freeway (not his first offense either) getting away from the paps and along the same lines, Chris Brown has crashed his Porsche into a wall after losing control of the vehicle fleeing paps also.

The more stories such as these come to the forefront, the public needs to realize that these photogs are a dangerous breed. While we may love and admire people in the limelight, these vultures will stop at nothing to feed our interest and fascination with them.

I do believe still that world wide responsibility should be enforced on the publishers and such as we have copyrights in place for what photos can be shared, there should also be severe penalties for publishing pictures without consent of the subject matter. Its up to those that publish these pictures to take responsibility. If they don't buy the idiot paps work, they realize there isn't a market for them and people in the limelight will breathe a little bit easier

Yeah because that's the only reason William and Henry hate the press. :lol:

The only staged photosessions I've seen were on Ski holidays (last one being 2006?) and when the boys went to school. In 30 years, where both boys went from school to further education/military and all we saw were them falling out of clubs at 3am almost every weekend. I'd think William and Henry are the ones who need a bit of good press on their side.

Yes the press new about Henry's deployment and that Vegas was a few days before, however do you really expect national newspapers to forgo the oppurtunity to print pictures of a naked heir to throne? Henry dug his own press loving whole.

Other royal couples can have their photosessions which then allow them holiday privacy because the overseas press isn't interested in them is correct. They're not interested because continental royal families, most of them anyway, manage to keep their noses away from anything untoward.

I would not call Maxima's fathers involvement in a repressive dictatorship unscandalous, or Carl-Phillip's dalliance with a former nude model. Continental royals have just as many scandals as the rest. After all, we are all human, even royals.

I would not call Maxima's fathers involvement in a repressive dictatorship unscandalous, or Carl-Phillip's dalliance with a former nude model. Continental royals have just as many scandals as the rest. After all, we are all human, even royals.

Maxima's father is not Maxima, but both family members have done their best to avoid the issue with the press. CP's picked a girlfriend, we've heard about it once maybe twice over here in the UK. People don't seem that fussed about it anymore.

Continental royals don't seem to have that many scandals, and seem to deal with them very well in regards to the press.

Maxima's father is not Maxima, but both family members have done their best to avoid the issue with the press. CP's picked a girlfriend, we've heard about it once maybe twice over here in the UK. People don't seem that fussed about it anymore.

Continental royals don't seem to have that many scandals, and seem to deal with them very well in regards to the press.

Well Harry is not William. I could care less about stranger's taking vacations, but I study history and boy oh boy, continental royals have had their huge share of scandals. All of them have.

Well Harry is not William. I could care less about stranger's taking vacations, but I study history and boy oh boy, continental royals have had their huge share of scandals. All of them have.

Say what? Both gentleman don't deal with the press well. In regards to their mother in some cases it's understandable, but they need to realise that the press is their for them to use. So far they haven't used it wisely.

I'm a member of this forum with an active interest in royals other than the British, I know some families (one inparticular comes to mind), have their scandals. However I haven't seen anything publicised as much as William, Henry or Catherine's issues throughout the years.

Say what? Both gentleman don't deal with the press well. In regards to their mother in some cases it's understandable, but they need to realise that the press is their for them to use. So far they haven't used it wisely.

I'm a member of this forum with an active interest in royals other than the British, I know some families (one inparticular comes to mind), have their scandals. However I haven't seen anything publicised as much as William, Henry or Catherine's issues throughout the years.

What would you like to see them do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom