William, Catherine and Family: Annual Holiday to Mustique (2012-2015, 2018-2019)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe next year they can avoid all the kerfuffle about Mustique and instead vacation at Verbier with the Danes or at Lech with the Dutch. Everyone seems to approve of those families holidaying at expensive resorts and people are always clamouring for the Cambridges to hang out with the continental royals so this should kill 2 birds with one stone.

Maybe next year they can avoid all the kerfuffle about Mustique and instead vacation at Verbier with the Danes or at Lech with the Dutch. Everyone seems to approve of those families holidaying at expensive resorts and people are always clamouring for the Cambridges to hang out with the continental royals so this should kill 2 birds with one stone.

I'll go too!!!!!:flowers:

Yeah that'll fix all the problems. Thought we weren't supposed to compare Cambridge's to the VP Couples. :whistling:

The Queen could die tomorrow(god forbid), there you go William is suddenly heir to the throne and then they will have no choice but to become full time royals. So I see no harm in them enjoying a winter break now. Plus soon it will be too dangerous for Catherine to fly. :flowers:

Or they can go to St. Barths where Princess Charlene is currently vacationing.

William and his crew work in shifts of I believe, 24 hours on call and 24 off. They stay on base during this entire period. Then they get 2-3 days off at home to rest. W&K's trip to France was thought to be during his 3 day off period.

The Duke of Cambridge attended the Olympic and Paralympic games as much as his job allowed him to. There were times that he had to dash off to his SAR job, so then Catherine & Harry attended.

The Cambridge's and other royals private commitments are made well in advance and sometimes they can't attend everything. William & Catherine went off to have some private time (or at least it was suppose to be private until a photographer decided to violate their privacy) to themselves before embarking on their Diamond Jubliee Tour. Nothing wrong about what they did.

The Duchess of Cambridge went on to attend The Queen's reception at Buckingham Palace for the Olympic and Paralympic team GB medalist. The Duke & Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry also visited the Team GB House many times after attending the games. Catherine didn't attend one time because she attended an event as Guest of Honor with Prime Minister Cameron.

I'm a bit uneasy about some of the criticism I've been reading about Kate's apparent lack of work ethic. I'm uneasy for a number of reasons.

Firstly, she has married into a lifetime job. She won't get to ever retire and live a relaxed, lazy life of retirement in the country. Her workload will increase markedly over the next 20 or so years. Everything she says and does and wears will be subject to public scrutiny. I think we have to bear in mind the wider scheme of things and the long term when considering what she is doing now.

Secondly, she is pregnant, and has been suffering from a debilitating illness associated with that pregnancy. Even if she's over the worst of it, she's probably still not feeling very well. Producing an heir is probably her main royal duty at the moment, and then she'll be expected to produce a spare. So if she is suffering because of performing this duty, I reckon she should be cut a bit of slack and allowed to rest if she feels like it.

Yes, having children is something most women do, and something she would probably have done regardless of who she had married. I am the first to squeal with righteous feminist indignation when women are defined in terms of their motherhood, but in her case having children is something she was expected to do to keep the Windsor line going. It was not open to Kate and William to decide they didn't want to have children; it is part of the job.

Thirdly, what Diana did during her pregnancy is irrelevant.

Fourthly, why should she have to be seen to be working? Some people have suggested that since she is not a full-time royal she should have kept her job and be seen to be going out to work every day till an advanced stage of her pregnancy. I ask, why? Why do most people go out to jobs? Mostly it's because they need to earn money to pay mortgages, etc. She is married to a man who is extremely wealthy, albeit largely due to an inheritance he received because of the early death of his mother, but, whatever the reason, he is very wealthy and neither one of them has the need to go out to work to pay their living expenses. However, like all people, they need something to do to keep their brains active and keep them sane, and William has to go out and do things to prepare him for his ultimate job. And both of them need to live up to the expectations of noblesse oblige.

People born, and married, into such privileged circumstances have an obligation to do something beneficial with their time and resources. But there is much constructive stuff that they can do that does not involve them going out to work each day. And, of course, she will be the mother of a young child soon, and will involve herself with the child's care. She is in the envious position of being able to choose to be a stay at home mother, and she has the right to make that choice.

Bottom line is that the mere fact that she is not going out to work does not necessarily mean she is not doing anything constructive. She can, and, I am sure, will, perform an increasing number of royal duties, and involve herself more and more with charity work. And there will be increasing opportunities for people to see her wearing new frocks and hats and hairdos and cutting ribbons and opening fetes, etc.

Depending on what she does after the child is born, I may change my mind and decide she does indeed seem to be lazy, but at the moment I am giving her the benefit of the doubt.

But then there's the holiday. I think choosing such an expensive and distant destination at the current time demonstrates another error of judgment on their part. Doing so was bound to attract criticism from people who are suffering financially. Much better, I think, to have spent some time at a nice location in the UK. I think William would do well to reflect on Queen Elizabeth's attitude during The Blitz, evidenced in her words, "I'm glad we've been bombed. It makes me feel I can look the East End in the face."

I don't get this thought process that because there are people in the country that are suffering financially that William and Kate must go about in sackcloth and ashes and take whatever vitriol is aimed at them simply because they do have money and (in his case) born into royalty.

I don't have money and likely never will. I, too, am dealing with my own financial stresses and hardships but guess what? I don't begrudge someone else going on vacation because I don't care what they do. I've got my own crap to deal with and am not paralyzed by extreme jealousy. You want to go on a ritzy vacation in February? If you're paying for it, knock yourself out. Hope you get left alone to enjoy it.

Yes, it's sometimes irritating to see people who didn't work for all that wealth partying like there's no care in the world, but again, don't tell me you wouldn't do the same thing if the roles were switched. Human nature is human nature. I can tell myself over and over that I'd be the second coming of Mother Teresa and with millions of dollars to boot, but who knows if I'd do it? Who knows if you'd do it?

So I hope they enjoy their vacation and best wishes to them. I'd love to be able to do the same. Maybe someday.

Yes, indeed :clap:! I agree completely, and know for a fact that if I were in their position, and could travel on fancy holidays whenever schedule permitted, I'd be doing it, everyone else be damned. Not everyone has the same opportunities, and people need to accept it, and get on with their own lives, no matter how difficult they may be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Secondly, she is pregnant, and has been suffering from a debilitating illness associated with that pregnancy. Even if she's over the worst of it, she's probably still not feeling very well. Producing an heir is probably her main royal duty at the moment, and then she'll be expected to produce a spare. So if she is suffering because of performing this duty, I reckon she should be cut a bit of slack and allowed to rest if she feels like it.

two comments about her work and pregnancy:
1st: I understant she may not be feeling well because of her HG. I was not "requesting" that she did a lot of engagements in December and January. If she's feeling unwell, of course, she should stop. the baby is the priority as it is with every pregnant mother. But the problem with her work/appearances didn't start with the pregnancy...

2nd: I honestly hope she's better and the worst is gone by now. But in case in the future we don't see much of her and the palace says it's because of the HG, I'll start to find it all very weird, after this trip to Mustique. It'll be very dificult to explain why she can take a long flight if she's so sick.

Thirdly, what Diana did during her pregnancy is irrelevant.
Agree.

Fourthly, why should she have to be seen to be working? Some people have suggested that since she is not a full-time royal she should have kept her job and be seen to be going out to work every day till an advanced stage of her pregnancy. I ask, why? Why do most people go out to jobs? Mostly it's because they need to earn money to pay mortgages, etc. She is married to a man who is extremely wealthy, albeit largely due to an inheritance he received because of the early death of his mother, but, whatever the reason, he is very wealthy and neither one of them has the need to go out to work to pay their living expenses. However, like all people, they need something to do to keep their brains active and keep them sane, and William has to go out and do things to prepare him for his ultimate job. And both of them need to live up to the expectations of noblesse oblige.

1st: why should she have to be seen to be working? That's another thing I think is wrong with her work schedule, communication, etc. Even if she works a lot behind the scenes, what's the best thing she can do for her charities? Something nobody else can do, except some celebrity though I doubt it'd reach the same number of people? It's to appear in those charities, bringing publicity, make the issues being talked, so that people contribute to the charities, etc.
Note, that when i talk about being seen working, I'm talking about her work with charities not jigsaw and things like that.

2nd: Sure, she doesn't need to get a job to pay the bills. But when she married, she automatically got a job

She is in the envious position of being able to choose to be a stay at home mother, and she has the right to make that choice.
Is she? I don't think she really has the choice to stay at home raise children. With her "job", I don't think that's a possibility. Slow down engagements when the baby is very young, sure. But decide to be a stay at home mother, I don't think so

some posts ago, cepe raised a very good point: William may be the guilty of this situation. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and only have a final conclusion of whether she's lazy or not when they become full-time royals.
But meanwhile, I cannot stop to notice that there are some mistakes done by the couple

I don't have money and likely never will. I, too, am dealing with my own financial stresses and hardships but guess what? I don't begrudge someone else going on vacation because I don't care what they do...

So I hope they enjoy their vacation and best wishes to them. I'd love to be able to do the same. Maybe someday.

What a nice post COESpiral! :flowers: I hope everyone should have whatever excellent experiences they can in life when on holiday (OK, maybe not the Roman celebrations for Saturnalia featuring battles of beast vs. beast, Christians and others being tossed to hungry lions, etc. Also no need for slaves - people who wait on you should earn a fair wage, etc.) I feel as long as you are not hurting someone else, while on your downtime, you should be able to put your feet up however you wish without someone pointing out that because they can't afford it no one should have that fun. Shoot me, I am a capitalist in that way!

Yes, it's sometimes irritating to see people who didn't work for all that wealth partying like there's no care in the world, but again, don't tell me you wouldn't do the same thing if the roles were switched.

I like nice things, but even if I won Lotto I like to think I would baulk at buying a Ferrari and would limit myself to a Corvette. Both expensive, but one obscenely so.

And the man who one day will be king should, IMO, give consideration to his position vis a vis his future subjects. With great privilege comes duty and responsibility. He and his wife are not just rich people, they are towards the apex of the social system. They should be setting an example, not flaunting their wealth.

Of course a future king should consider his subjects, but this is reaching the point of people demanding William and Catherine go through the streets flagellating themselves with whips and profusely apologizing for having any money at all.

We can't all be on the same social scale. It just isn't possible. I wish it could be but if 'wishes' and 'buts' were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas.

I don't see it as working "hard" - a word which has it's own definitions for each person.

It's not physically demanding, and I don't think it's mentally difficult.

I see it as pressure - the expectation of perfection.

I don't get this thought process that because there are people in the country that are suffering financially that William and Kate must go about in sackcloth and ashes...
I agree, and they certainly will not be the only Brits enjoying some fun in the sun this time of year. The resorts of the Caribbean will all have a number of UK guests, young and old, staying for 1 and 2 week holidays. The UK economy, like many western nations, maybe stagnant but that doesn't mean everyone has pulled up the drawbridges and started to burn the furniture to keep warm at night.

I agree, and IMO it is grossly unfair to compare the late Diana and Catherine...
For the record, those of us who mentioned Diana, or HM for that matter during their pregnancies were not comparing in order to say these royal women worked more, but that they worked less than Kate during their pregnancies.
As another poster wisely noted, it is not the facts that interest people, it is their perception of the facts.

...It's not physically demanding, and I don't think it's mentally difficult...
Pressure = mentally difficult as far as I can see.

...He and his wife are not just rich people, they are towards the apex of the social system. They should be setting an example, not flaunting their wealth.
Correct :flowers: Rich people can do whatever they wish with their own money and I would too if I were rich. But William and Kate are not just rich people, they are members of a royal family. They are part of an institution who is supposed to pay attention to those it serves.
Holidaying at home, cutting the budgets like some RF did (the spanish, for example) won't change a scent in the whole economy, but they send a message: that in tough times to many people in the country, the RF is aware of what is going on and is expressing solidarity with the people. It's all about the message really and again William and Kate sent the wrong message

Oh, dear Lord! I haven't been on at all today. Who exhumed Diana??? :eek:

Trying to see how W & K going on a holiday with her family in Mustique is really all that different to my husband and I taking our 4 then teenaged children plus mother-in-law to Singapore during the Sydney Olympics. I'm amazed at what my late grandmother would call "mealey mouthed" comments being made.

Last edited:
... It's all about the message really and again William and Kate sent the wrong message
The economy may be stagnate and people may not be getting the pay raises they received in previous years but the UK is not in the same shape as Spain. The UK unemployment rate is under 8% (not the 25+% in Spain). We are still a pretty rich nation not on the verge of needing an EU bailout. The pound remains one of the worlds strongest currencies. Housing prices have begun to increase which means more people are back in the market. Some posters are writing as if the UK was on its last legs and people were burning furniture or cutting down the woods to get firewood (as in Greece) to warm their houses in winter. Going to Mustique will certainly cause nasty comments in the DM, but really when aren't the comments in the DM nasty no matter if it is a royal, or a footballer, or an actor or pop star and no matter what the story is about. It all comes down to someone has more than the comment writer so they vent in the DM, par for the course. In any on line news comment section posters are always more likely to be nasty than complimentary, it is human nature.

For the record, those of us who mentioned Diana, or HM for that matter during their pregnancies were not comparing in order to say these royal women worked more, but that they worked less than Kate during their pregnancies.
As another poster wisely noted, it is not the facts that interest people, it is their perception of the facts.

Thank you for the clarification, and I most humbly apologize for the misinterpretation!!!:flowers::flowers:

I will be so, so happy when she's back to work and doing engagements again. Not because I'm worried about her work load being too light, but just because I don't know how many more slow royal news days I can take. People get starved for news and the conversation just goes totally off the rails.

Let's keep Diana out of the Cambridge Current Events thread.

That's all we need.

Good grief! All this chest thumping and general angst because Catherine has obviously gotten over her pretty rough start to her pregnancy and William and she have decided to join the family on their annual fun in the sun holiday.

Yes, William has got a real job.

Yes, he gets leave, it seems like more when you factor in the 24 hour on duty/ on call situation.

No, he is not the heir!

No, they do not "owe" it to anyone to live in public austerity because not everyone in the UK and Commonwealth has a job or is rich!

They do owe it to themselves to stay physically and mentally healthy within their semi-private lives.

When William is the heir I might think . . . "take it when you have the chance".

Because he's not the heir I think that it is OK to pass comment, this is, after all, a current events thread. It in not, however my right to pass judgement.

Not a lot of research seems to go on by various people when wanting to be critical of Kate and the amount of engagements she's undertaking. In actual fact it's comparable to Diana's. The then Princess Elizabeth with her first 2 pregnancies did no official engagements, there are no photos of her pregnant. As Queen though with her younger 2 she did.

Thanks for all the work it took you to put that together Charlotte.

I don't get this thought process that because there are people in the country that are suffering financially that William and Kate must go about in sackcloth and ashes and take whatever vitriol is aimed at them simply because they do have money and (in his case) born into royalty.

You aren't the only one who can't figure out this particular way of thinking. I also hope they are enjoying their vacation. Once they get back, between William's duty hours, the engagements Kate has sked , Dr's appts, going over the work being done at Kensington Palace and making sure it's ready for them to move into and then whatever else happens to pop up both privately and publicly and before they and us know it....It'll be Baby time!! This very well could be the last Vacation they take w/out having to worry about the little one and do they have this or that, so I very much hope they are having a great time right now.

Precisely!! And then are those to whom the facts don't even matter. Only their little vendetta matters and to Hell w/the facts and reality.

I will be so, so happy when she's back to work and doing engagements again. Not because I'm worried about her work load being too light, but just because I don't know how many more slow royal news days I can take. People get starved for news and the conversation just goes totally off the rails.

No kidding, but there are those who go after Kate regardless and I will never understand such stupid, sad and bitter attacks against someone they don't know, nor will ever likely meet. I just don't get it.

And Marg....Thank you!! Perfectly said and true.

Last edited:
My parents are going on their second vacation in less than 6 MOS. They are doing it to "get away". They aren't rich like WnK so they aren't going far. WnK are rich and I don't see why they should act any differently than the other richies who jet off on holidays? Because certain people find it offensive because they can't go on vacations? Because William will be king in about 40yrs and as a result he should never go on a vacation cuz he might offend his future subjects?

I've said this before and I will say it again, the people who are complaining are not going to be satisfies unless there is a 24hr video feed of William and Catherines's daily life so they can see then work for themselves.....and then continue to criticize them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom