William, Catherine and Family: Annual Holiday to Mustique (2012-2015, 2018-2019)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous:
How many of those people are representatives and future King and Queen of their countries?
William and Kate are not a normal couple. There are perks they have none of us can ever dream of, then again there are also responsibilities and disadvantages.

I can't get angry about this. I'm not disagreeing this holiday could be interpreted as showing insensitivity to the public mood, but there's also an expectation that royals lead different lives to us, which is partly why we are so interested. If Kate had not had to cancel a couple of engagements owing to her sickness, I don't think there would have been so much fuss. The Press want constant news/pics to satisfy their readers. If Kate is able to resume engagements shortly, all will be forgiven. I hope they have a good holiday.

A brilliant post, Artemisia, and I completely agree.
They are not ordinary, and it was wrong of his mother to give him that idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you know who is paying for their villa? For all you know the Middleton's can be paying for it and the Middleton's are rich. These holidays have been going on before they got married and no one knows who is picking up the bill; Kate has been enjoying the perks of being rich since she was a preteen and before she met William, doesn't seem she is doing anything different than she has done for years.

Well said, XeniaCasaraghi

How do you know who is paying for their villa? For all you know the Middleton's can be paying for it and the Middleton's are rich. These holidays have been going on before they got married and no one knows who is picking up the bill; Kate has been enjoying the perks of being rich since she was a preteen and before she met William, doesn't seem she is doing anything different than she has done for years.

Kate is no longer just another very wealthy private citizen. She has chosen to marry the future head of state of Great Britain and become a member of the royal family. The BRF has always been known for their lifetime of service and devotion to duty. This is what has given them their popularity. As the future head of state and his wife, their actions must indicate empathy for the people they are committed to serve. If people in Britain are squeezed to the limit economically, it is a bit of a slap in the face to go on this holiday, no matter WHO is paying for it.

At some point, all of these little PR notices of Will working alongside other RAF members, of Kate shopping for their food at the local market, of their having no servants, of the charming little cottage - rather than endearing to the public, becomes a charade. It is a slap in the face to suggest Will and Kate are like everyone else. Um, no, no they're not. They will never lose their jobs, they will never stretch the food and utilities budget and their holidays cost more than the average person's annual existence.

It does not matter that she is not yet Queen or Crown Princess - she will be. Do you really think that by the time she is CP or Queen she will be giving up these trips no matter what the condition of her husband's subjects?

I can't imagine the Queen going on such a holiday during some of the many recessions that has hit Britain. She would not be seen doing so.

I have seen people, not on this board, who act like Williams's work as a pilot is just him playing soldier and skirting his "real job". Someone even said he was using it to hide from his real duty. It is so irritating when people comment that being a rescue pilot isn't a legitimate job and he should be a full time royal so he can sit on his butt all day and wait for his grandma and father to die.
Well said, you put that in better terms than what I was trying to say yesterday
They are part of the public, not the entire public. And the whining of a few doesn't negate the majority who are content with the way things are.
Thank you again :flowers:
... If Kate had not had to cancel a couple of engagements owing to her sickness, I don't think there would have been so much fuss...
Even if she didn't have to cancel her engagements back in December because of her HG, there would still have been this much fuss. You just have to go back to last year when the Middleton took this annual trip they do to celebrate Carole's Birthday

There is always a fuss when the Cambridges get away for awhile. All European royals take a little break when they can. I really don't see much complaints about it but when the British royals take a little break, there's a problem. I'll never fully understand it.

I just hope they have a good time and have a safe trip back home.

:previous: Because the other Royals are all goody goody. I have never seen a bad word said about other Royals on this forum only the BRF have I seen such attacks. :whistling:

Here's my take on some of the comments I've read (my opinion only).
I wonder if some are not upset about this trip because they are not "working" royals. Working in the sense that The Queen, Prince Phillip, Charles, Anne etc are. I know that he has a job with the RAF. There are other Eurpoean royals that work (are seen working) much more often than the Cambridges, therefore they are not judged when they take a vacation. For example, no one would judge WA and Maxima for taking their yearly break in Lech (which is coming up), why because we see them working quite a lot between these breaks. So when we don't see the Cambridges, we are assuming that they are not working, and therefore are in no need of a "break".
These are only my humble thoughts. Don't be too harsh on me!
PS. I love Katherine & William, and want to see them become working royals sooner rather than later and am excited to watch their family grow.

You would thought they killed an Elephant on a hunting trip from the reaction on this forum. :ROFLMAO:

:previous:
I'm not saying it's true but I would trust a newspaper (even Sun) over a tweet any day.

Pregnant woman with HG jetting off is not a wise thing so I doubt it. :whistling:

Whilst I agree nobody needs to 'deserve' a holiday, this couple haven't earnt it at all. William and Catherine clearly have no idea about public perception.

I think I will disagree with you. William has a full time job, its also said that he does work long hours and also does night duty. Must be tiring and I also guess anyone who actually works would agree. As for Catherine, yes she doesn't have a full time job so one would think she doesn't earn a vacation but many housewives, part time working women do travel with their husbands, do go on holidays.

Whether they deserve it or not, if there is a holiday opportunity, then why not take it. If they are paying, then why should we judge what they do.
:flowers:

Here's my take on some of the comments I've read (my opinion only)...
I do understand what you are saying. The thing is the Cambridge's have been busy working as royals. They accompanied The Queen on her Diamond Jubilee visits around Britain, they supported and participated in the London Olympic/Paralympics, and they embarked on their busy Diamond Jubilee Tour. They also have been active and supportive of their charities.

So it seems to me that despite their hard work as members of the royal family, people still complain and make a big deal about their vacations. It's all about who's paying for the vacation? and why they are going on a expensive vacation when there are people in their country who aren't doing all that well. You never see this same amount of fuss with the other European royals, who also take rather expensive vacations.

I guess it's a blessing to be a part of the other royal families. They are able to live their lives in a relaxed matter. Do their duties but take a nice vacation without people getting all bent out of shape about it.

I guess it's a blessing to be a part of the other royal families. They are able to live their lives in a relaxed matter. Do their duties but take a nice vacation without people getting all bent out of shape about it.

The British Royal Family is most famous monarchy in the world, and pretty much everyone on Earth knows who the Queen of the UK is, whereas a lot of the other European royals are not as well known. It's no surprise that the BRF get a lot of press attention and stick for being seen to "not be doing much", and the British press as we all know is a hard thing to contend with. Anyone marrying into the family knows they are marrying into one of the most famous families in the world.

They are part of the public, not the entire public. And the whining of a few doesn't negate the majority who are content with the way things are.

We are part of the public, we count, we are allowed an opinion. But according to miche the people who write DM comments or who follow royals on this forum aren't part of public.

Thank you again :flowers:

Yes thank you Xenia for pointing out that we are part of the public, and deserve to be counted unlike your first comment which explained that we apparently don't.

:previous: Because the other Royals are all goody goody. I have never seen a bad word said about other Royals on this forum only the BRF have I seen such attacks. :whistling:

You can take one look at any other royal forum and see that when they do controversial things it gets talked about and people agree and disagree. Look at the ongoing Spanish incident, Maxima's controversial father I could go on.

I have always liked Kate (and to a degree, William). However, I too think this holiday is a massive mistake on their part...
In the past 12 months they've had 3 vacations. 1 week at a ski resort (after William's six-week stint in the Falklands) 3 days in France, and this trip to Mustique.

Prince Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie have all taken plenty of vacations to exclusive ski-resorts and sun-drenched villas, yet I don't hear complaints about that.

I think calling Kate a "glorified dummy", is pretty harsh. If people see Kate as just a clotheshorse, then that's on them. There has been plenty of information about her charity work, but the media chooses to focus on the superficial. They do the same with other royals. I hear more about their fashion choices, than I do about any charity work.

I've never gotten the idea that William resents his position. I think he and Harry have disdain for the media (Harry recently made his feelings known), but I don't sense any resentment for their position. Doubts, maybe. But I don't know any person that doesn't have doubts about their future.

People keeep clamoring for William to quit the RAF and take on full-time royal duties, without realizing that he and Harry think of their military careers as public duty. In his recent interview, Harry said that he and William believe their miltary careers are a service to their country and their public duties. So while people think these two men are shrinking their responsibilities, they think they're serving the public.

In the past 12 months they've had 3 vacations. 1 week at a ski resort (after William's six-week stint in the Falklands) 3 days in France, and this trip to Mustique.

Does that not include Mustique last year which was around a year ago? France was longer than 3 days was it not?

No I didn't include Mustique because that vacation was in January. I started my count from February of 2012. If I start in January, then we'd have to exclude this current Mustique trip.

Nope their trip to France was only 3 days. That's why everyone assumed that they went in between one of William's RAF shifts.

Last edited:
I have never believed that Catherine is the issue, it is all about William. He, as many have said, is enjoying the perks and not doing the royal work. I think Artemesia's post explained that very well.

but it seems that he only wants Catherine to work along side him. She absolutely blossomed when he was in the Falklands and then he comes home and she does nothing by way of royal duties.

I believe her illness was genuine because he is currently working in Wales and she is in London. That wouldn't happen if she had been well. away from him, she is beginning to book engagements. He is staying in Wales because he wants to improve his flying hours, an indication that he is staying in the RAF, not turning to full time royal

when the French pictures materialised during the tour, it was Catherine that handled the situation, William sulked.

She is doing her best but loves and supports William. He needs to learn that the nonsense of wanting to be normal is just that - nonsense. And he needs to pay attention to public opinion, and the Queen and Prince Charles need to sort him out. Basically he's spoilt.

I agree with Cepe and her post. I have never believed that Catherine is the problem at all. I think she wants to do more but is held back by William. She could handle being a full-time royal and out and about I think she has a strong personality when it comes to the media.

I also agree she is doing her best, loves and supports William but she has been coming off as lazy for over 10 years because of it and I for one would be tired of it. I don't think Catherine is lazy in the least, I think William overprotects her from the media etc and it is her downfall. :bang:

I have never believed that Catherine is the issue, it is all about William...
I have never thought about it that, very interesting analysis! Thank you.

but it seems that he only wants Catherine to work along side him. She absolutely blossomed when he was in the Falklands and then he comes home and she does nothing by way of royal duties.

Her engagements didn't stop after his return from the Falklands. My numbers may be off, but since his return, she's done like 11 or 12 engagements by herself. Not to mention the joint engagements, Jubilee celebrations, the tour and the Olympics stuff. So saying she's done nothing since his return is not true.

Last edited:
Her engagements didn't stop after his return from the Falklands. My numbers may be off, but since his return, she's done like 11 or 12 engagements by herself. Not to mention the joint engagements, Jubilee celebrations, the tour and the Olympics stuff. So saying she's done nothing since his return is not true.

Fair enough. In my defence :flowers: I was not including the joint jubilee/olympic stuff because all the family had to up their duties in a unique situation. I still don't believe that it will continue now that the Jubilee/olympic celebrations are over (though I would like to be proved wrong).

I really do believe TRH's will become fulltime royals in the near future.

Personally I think people are getting themselves all worked up about something very minor. Take a deep breath and count to ten, roll your shoulders and relax a bit. The Cambridges are on vacation with the Middletons in Mustique.....not exactly something that will raise questions in the House of Commons.

Marvelous post, Cepe! Entirely plausible.

I think it very natural that Will would have tremendous fear of his wife becoming what his mother was, and therefore wants her out of the limelight.

Fair enough. In my defence :flowers: I was not including the joint jubilee/olympic stuff because all the family had to up their duties in a unique situation. I still don't believe that it will continue now that the Jubilee/olympic celebrations are over (though I would like to be proved wrong).

I gotcha. :) I think because of her part-time status, people sometimes overlook the fact that Kate does work. Unfortunately for her though, she is being compared to the other members of the BRF and I think it sometimes does her a disservice.

I really haven't seen anything to suggest that she won't keep up her work schedule. I think as long as she and the baby are healthy, she'll continue doing a few engagements every month.

I agree, Dman. It's looking more and more likely that they will become full-time royals. And if they don't go full-time, then I can see them stepping up the number of monthly engagements they do.

So true, royalistbert and Nglalitzine. :lol:

Last edited:
Saw a photo of Kate and William boarding a plane and still no baby bump!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom