The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Heir Apparent

I wasn't making a link as I wrote "also" in order to separate the comments.

Also, they did miss the memorial service in order to go on holiday.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-17-2013, 06:29 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I wasn't making a link as I wrote "also" in order to separate the comments.

Also, they did miss the memorial service in order to go on holiday.
Oh, thanks for the clarification. I was fuzzy and thought they missed something due to work, but it must have been something else last year.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, that ski vacation occurred right after William got back from his six-week tour of duty in the Falklands at the end of March and they went with the Middletons on that trip. The memorial service occurred during that time.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
No, I believe they missed the memorial service due to Will's work commitments I don't believe they would miss it due to a holiday, Baroness.
Unfortunately, they did miss the memorial because of the skiing trip:

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge miss Queen Mother's memorial service to continue skiing - Telegraph
Old 02-17-2013, 08:07 PM
Majesty

Not sure if this is the right place for this, so feel free to move if necessary:

British Royals Send Condolence to Tsunami Victims - Solomon Times Online

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:40 AM
Courtier

I think people are getting really sick of the fuss over the recent beach photos:

Spare Us From The Oh So Precious Royals Wills And Kate | Stirring Trouble Internationally - A humorous take on news and current affairs
Old 02-18-2013, 04:18 AM
Aristocracy

What a dreadful article.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:50 AM
Courtier

I don't think it is an article. I think it is meant to be a comical rant.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:57 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Princess Mary doesn't receive nearly the amount of press attention that Kate and the BRF do. The press coverage of the Danish royals here in the US, is pretty much non-exsistence, while Kate can't even sneeze without being on every tabloid cover, news program and entertainment show. I don't think Mary would really be able to offer much advice.
I was referring more to the unique situation of being royal a public figure and producing an heir to the throne perhaps having a talk with someone who truly understands her position would be helpful in helping her overcome her obvious panic everytime she is photographed because its going to happen all the time for the rest of her life and I dont think William is helping her by blowing up everytime a picture is taken of her than isnt official.
She is now a person of great interest and unfortunately pictures of her are like gold. She just has to learn to deal with them because she cant stop them.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:06 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

@RE_DailyMail: Prince William's charity 100 Women In Hedge Funds is teaming up with Kate's charity Action on Addiction this year, SJP announce

@RE_DailyMail: William is patron of 100 Women which is planning series of fundraising events for AOA with a launch party at Jimmy Choo Bond Street March 14

@RegalEyes: "@QueenVicMirror: Kate won't be at the Jimmy Choo launch of the collaboration between Hedge Funds and Action on Addiction"
Old 02-18-2013, 07:50 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenbeee View Post
I was referring more to the unique situation of being royal a public figure and producing an heir to the throne perhaps having a talk with someone who truly understands her position would be helpful in helping her overcome her obvious panic everytime she is photographed
I don't get the impression that she's panicking. I think she's doing what all the Royals do ... tolerating it. That doesn't mean they have to like it.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

I have never seen Kate panic over anything let alone have her picture taken. Even when those horrible naked pix came out she was the one keeping her cool and trying to calm William.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 02-19-2013, 03:20 AM
Serene Highness

If I were Kate I would stop wearing bikinis. There are great one-piece suits. The paps would still take her pic but there would be less groaning. Such a simple solution.

I had a one-piece suit from Land's End which had matching "shorts" to wear over that,
for a completely covered look. Why not? Why must she show off her very nice body?

It she's doing it just to prove she can, that's childish.

The royals have a right to their vacations, but if they do splashy things they will inevitably reap criticism. Kate does not need to wear a bikini.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:28 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariel View Post
If I were Kate I would stop wearing bikinis. There are great one-piece suits. The paps would still take her pic but there would be less groaning. Such a simple solution.

I had a one-piece suit from Land's End which had matching "shorts" to wear over that,
for a completely covered look. Why not? Why must she show off her very nice body?

It she's doing it just to prove she can, that's childish.

The royals have a right to their vacations, but if they do splashy things they will inevitably reap criticism. Kate does not need to wear a bikini.
A Land's End one piece with matching shorts? That's appropriate for a woman in her fifties or sixties to wear to the beach but it's certainly not something that would look at all appropriate on a young woman- she'd look hopelessly frumpy and her tan lines would be horrific. Plus- why should she have to wear a cocoon of fabric at the beach so that pictures of her in her private time will be less revealing?

She's not doing this to be childish. She's doing this because her family goes to the beach once a year and she and her husband enjoy joining them and participating in normal family activities while wearing the normal apparel one wears to the beach. I also doubt she's embarrassed or shy about her figure being photographed and I have no doubt she knew this was highly likely to happen.

The palace can continue to advocate for a separation between the Cambridge's public duties and private lives, even while they expect the media to take liberties with that.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:41 PM
Courtier

I agree with Hermione.

In any case the issue is being without clothes, i.e. NUDE! Bikini is fine, especially when you have a good figure.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:54 PM
Heir Presumptive

I just had a look at that Land's End site and there are some one piece costumes there that seem just fine for a 30 year old woman and not at all frumpy. I think Kate would look great in them, but she also looks great in a bikini. I think it depends on what she's comfortable being photographed in. If she doesn't mind being photographed in a bikini, that's what she should wear. And she's going to be photographed in her swimwear, whether he husband likes it or not.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:09 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I just had a look at that Land's End site and there are some one piece costumes there that seem just fine for a 30 year old woman and not at all frumpy. I think Kate would look great in them, but she also looks great in a bikini. I think it depends on what she's comfortable being photographed in. If she doesn't mind being photographed in a bikini, that's what she should wear. And she's going to be photographed in her swimwear, whether he husband likes it or not.
She's all the more likely to be photographed in her bikini if her husband lets everyone know he doesn't like it. Otherwise, who in the 21st century gives a darn that someone is in a bikini on the beach?

One piece costumes are not frumpy. They certainly minimize sun exposure.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:30 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
She's all the more likely to be photographed in her bikini if her husband lets everyone know he doesn't like it. Otherwise, who in the 21st century gives a darn that someone is in a bikini on the beach?
The same people who get worked up about her shopping at Tesco or going to the movies with her husband or going shopping on the high street and fall all over themselves to buy what she wears........the general public.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Photos of Kate from years ago in her bikini have been on the Internet for quite awhile and current pictures are nothing new, so why the fuss? As far as views of the bump, it's been officially revealed so it's over. Moving right along......
Old 02-19-2013, 11:01 PM
Serene Highness

The problem here is the difference between admiration and interest, which the royals need to cultivate, and something more, something less healthy, a need to live vicariously through someone - or to project onto them positively or negatively. I think that unhealthier side always existed, but now in the internet age, it's so much more apparent that people form these attachments. They're not healthy, and in fact they are scary.

Nobody seems to engender this interest on such an international level as Will and Kate. I suppose it's because the common language ensures the interest of a lot of nations, including us Americans.

I have a feeling this vicarious living will go on during the exciting time of pregnancy, and die down once the baby is born and is a few months old. I don't see this hysteria lasting too much longer. At some point they'll be middle aged, and the interest will be off them, probably refocused on their children. I think that engagement, wedding, honeymoon and new baby are one of the most exciting times in many a persons' cycle of life, the stuff of many a fairy tale or romance novel and this is why the focus right now is particularly hysterical.

I especially see the interest dying down if Harry takes a bride and the focus is on the excitement of a wedding, honeymoon and new baby.