The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 03:18 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
GracieGiraffe not the place to discuss your political ideology.
Not sure where "political" ideology comes into this. Gracie discusses the finer points of the difference between something being "right" and something being "moral". It is not illegal to take pictures of Catherine in a bikini whilst she is pregnant, however is it moral? Heck no. Politics doesn't come anywhere near it, morality does.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
GracieGiraffe not the place to discuss your political ideology.
Sorry! But I'm really not trying to discuss political ideology. I'm trying to discuss Will and Kate's "right" to privacy on their holidays vs their expectations to privacy and why such expectations in their private lives might not be realistic, even if they should have such. We have been discussing the photos of Mustique throughout this thread, and whether they had an expectation/right to expect no photos in the tabloids. This to me is just an elaboration of such. Of course the mods may see it differently, and if so, I play by the rules.

The expectation that their public lives/current events be reported and their private lives/current events remain sacrosanct is unrealistic.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:23 PM
Courtier

There are threads to discuss this but a "Current Events" thread I think not.
Old 02-16-2013, 03:25 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:

There are threads to discuss this but a "Current Events" thread I think not.
Catherine and William are CURRENTLY on holiday in Mustique, until they get back and until Catherine appears in three days time this discussion isn't going to stop. That still doesn't detract from the fact Gracie was not talking politics. Also, which threads are there to discuss this holiday?
Old 02-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Not sure where "political" ideology comes into this. Gracie discusses the finer points of the difference between something being "right" and something being "moral". It is not illegal to take pictures of Catherine in a bikini whilst she is pregnant, however is it moral? Heck no. Politics doesn't come anywhere near it, morality does.
Thank you! That is exactly what I mean. I have no political ideology here, in fact, I rather like the institution of monarchy in general, but am not afraid to point out anomalies/hypocrisies where they exist. Such is necessary for the preservation of monarchies in the long run.

Perhaps there needs to be a thread on Will and Kate's expectations of privacy/right to privacy, their public vs. their private lives, and to what extent they are "public servants" and what they "owe" the public. With 21st Century technology, these lines are going to have to be addressed.

BTW, from what I'm reading, it might just be illegal to take any photos of Will and Kate in Mustique, clothed, unclothed, or somewhere in between. However, since public dissemination is international, localized laws are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. A false sense of security for people there. I'm not suggesting it is right, I'm just saying "it is what it is."
Old 02-16-2013, 05:30 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Catherine and William are CURRENTLY on holiday in Mustique, until they get back and until Catherine appears in three days time this discussion isn't going to stop. That still doesn't detract from the fact Gracie was not talking politics. Also, which threads are there to discuss this holiday?
I totally agree. The issues addressed in Gracie's thought-provoking post arise directly from the photographs of William & Kate who are currently holidaying on Mustique, and, as such, it is on topic, and it was not a post about politics.

Are posts in current events threads to be limited to the bare facts about where people are and what they are doing, and not to allow discussion about broader and more complex issues arising from those bare facts? I hope not. These are "The Royal Forums" and, in my opinion, any discussion about royalty impliedly includes as relevant issues relating to the institution of royalty itself and its place in modern society.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Courtier

My apologies to Gracie, I misread your post!
Old 02-16-2013, 05:57 PM
Courtier

DOES NO ONE UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS THE MEDIA WHO ARE MAKING A BIG DEAL OUT OF THIS, not those involved.

Talk about being "suckered" by the press/media!!!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 06:01 PM
Heir Apparent

well said - its the same story on the PoW current events - all about him "secretly" advising on the legislation in the Uk (according to the Telegraph). Its public information if people care to look. Of course the Telegraph didn't mention that.

People have stopped thinking for themselves - weird!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-16-2013, 06:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Not weird but it is disturbing.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
well said - its the same story on the PoW current events - all about him "secretly" advising on the legislation in the Uk (according to the Telegraph). Its public information if people care to look. Of course the Telegraph didn't mention that.

If it was secret how would the media know about.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

At the grocery today, there were long lines which gave me the opportunity to rip off The STAR by reading the Mustique acticle on their dime.

The writing was the usual drek one expects. I did learn how very public that beach is as many others got caught up in the pics of the Duke and Duchess.

I know some of you think I should not even look. I figure as long as I read it in line, I'm reducing their profits.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess of Durham View Post
DOES NO ONE UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS THE MEDIA WHO ARE MAKING A BIG DEAL OUT OF THIS, not those involved.

Talk about being "suckered" by the press/media!!!!!
This is why the trashy faction of the media survives.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Courtier

Well the Duke and Duchess should be back now as Kate has a engagement on Tuesday.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:14 PM
Nobility

Mini Middleton

Here are the pictures from Woman's Day.

And yes, I am pretty sure they are back. Some posters on twitter said they saw her.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:18 PM
Royal Highness

Does anyone know when the annual ski trip of the Duke and Duchess normally takes place? I doubt that the Duchess will ski this year - she is more likely to stay in the lodge sipping warm milk and eating cookies.
Old 02-17-2013, 06:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by regardez View Post
And yes, I am pretty sure they are back. Some posters on twitter said they saw her.
Kate was spotted shopping at Waitrose in Newbury on Saturday
Old 02-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Does anyone know when the annual ski trip of the Duke and Duchess normally takes place? I doubt that the Duchess will ski this year - she is more likely to stay in the lodge sipping warm milk and eating cookies.
That's right; they usually go skiing this time of year with the Middletons. Didn't they miss the memorial service for the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret last year due to that holiday? Let's hope Kate doesn't even attempt the bunny slopes in her condition.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:15 PM
Heir Apparent

The anniversary is in March but I would be surprised if they went.

Also mentioned today is the imminent announcement of a further 3 charities for the Duchess.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-17-2013, 07:23 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroness of Books View Post
That's right; they usually go skiing this time of year with the Middletons. Didn't they miss the memorial service for the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret last year due to that holiday? Let's hope Kate doesn't even attempt the bunny slopes in her condition.
No, I believe they missed the memorial service due to Will's work commitments I don't believe they would miss it due to a holiday, Baroness.

Kate won't be on skis - skiers fall, and falls are bad. She'll put up her feet and drink hot chocolate.

Cepe, Kate can take her laptop on holidays - I've done so. No reason to be chained to London when patroning charities and such.