The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 07:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andolini View Post
I apologize for my misinterpretation, and shall do the same to Roslyn!
Thank you Andolini.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Heir Apparent

I really do not see where is the problem, and it is tiring because it is every time the same story.

30 years ago it was Diana pregnant wearing bikini, and SO WHAT????

We already saw also other Princesses in the same situation, SO WHAT????

Kate is pregnant, we all know it, of course she has a bump SO WHAT????

She is wearing the up and the bottom part, and she is walking with her husband, SO WHAT????

They are just doing what million of people are doing, in a clear moral situation, no fuss, no mess, no nakedeness, no secret, SO WHAT????

Why all this discussion? Francly, i'm fed up of this hypocrisia.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:47 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
Now to the subject at hand. William and Catherine are both said to be smart, intelligent 30 something year olds. They even have a degree apiece. Could someone please explain to me why, knowing as they did that there was virtual bounty on the first photo of "The Baby Bump", they decided to holiday in a public place and stroll down the beach in swim wear, and her in a bikini no less?

They are both veterans of paparzzi camera shots (many less than flattering) from clubbing in London, saw Harry embarrassed to the nth degree courtesy of camera phones, and yet they chose to put themselves out there, in full view of anyone who knew who they were, and then have SJP publicly whine about invasion of privacy when someone took the absolutely inevitable photo.

It is not a good look. It makes them look like they have an overweening sense of entitlement and I don't know about most of you, but I am wondering what sort of person does that. The rest of his family (Harry notwithstanding) keep their heads down, play the game and pick their battles on solid ground.
My sentiments, exactly.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I've never seen an Australian magazine on sale in the UK. I'd never heard of those Australian publications until one of them reported on Harry being in Afghanistan.

The UK is not Saudi Arabia. Our press is among the most free on the planet and has been for hundreds of years.
Thanks fort he speedy response EIIR.

I had the feeling they weren't available or else this whole discussion about the photos being seen in Britian wouldn't be happening.

Shows what a magazine mad country Australia is - as I mentioned in an earlier post.

Our newsagents are stacked with what seems even the most obscure UK and American mags, though only the really big agencies stock the French, Italian etc., mags.

(My comment about the customs officials is just an Aussie being an Aussie. We've got a lot to be thankful to Britian for- the Westminster system etc., - not comparing the UK with another country, just stating that is something that happens there. Saw a doco.)

Wonder if this means there will be a flurry of eBay entrepenuers flogging them to anyone in the UK who wants a copy.

Cheers, Sun Lion.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:14 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
The most shocking thing about this is we have Diana fans sticking up for the press!
That's what I don't understand either. If more people do what I did, i.e. STOP buying these puerile publications, then just maybe they could be left alone occasionally. Good G*d, they are Hunan beings, not wind up toys or mannequins!
Old 02-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
Just popping in to say that if I had paid a lot of money for a fancy holiday at a fancy resort, and I was lounging around enjoying myself on the public beach near the fancy resort, and taking photographs of the goings-on on said public beach, and William and Kate were also there on the public beach and were mingling and enjoying themselves on said public beach - or even just walking along said public beach - I would take photographs of them, and if some magazine offered me $150,000 or so for those photographs, you can be damn sure I would sell them. No qualms whatsoever.
Good to know you have standards
Old 02-13-2013, 08:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Mary of Denmark has suffered some pretty rude intrusions of privacy by paps.
When she was 9 mos pregnant with the twins, there were photos of her inside the palace in Copenhagen she'd just moved into, on the phone.
On private vacation in France, I think on her in-laws' verandah, many photos were taken of the family, including children.
Another party goer took unflattering party pictures of her husband Frederick at a private pre-christening party.
These are justa few intrusive incidents, in private situations, on private property off the top of my head.
Princess Caroline of Monaco has had vicious paps chasing her from day one.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
I really do not see where is the problem, and it is tiring because it is every time the same story.

30 years ago it was Diana pregnant wearing bikini, and SO WHAT????

We already saw also other Princesses in the same situation, SO WHAT????

Kate is pregnant, we all know it, of course she has a bump SO WHAT????

She is wearing the up and the bottom part, and she is walking with her husband, SO WHAT????

They are just doing what million of people are doing, in a clear moral situation, no fuss, no mess, no nakedeness, no secret, SO WHAT????

Why all this discussion? Francly, i'm fed up of this hypocrisia.

yes, with diana happend, with caroline, stephanie,etc we see photosof them in bikini, in the beach and pregnant!
william and catherine were in a public place and is normal to people og phographers take photos. I personally think that the photos are loverly, like the diana's photosin bikini when she was pregnant.
always when a royal person go to a public place the phographers take photos, they don't were in a private place.
And the public and the press have a big expectative because they are the future king and queen of england and the baby is the hair to the throne.
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 02-13-2013, 09:51 PM
Heir Presumptive

The price the BRF pays by simply being who they are.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
My sentiments, exactly.
Hi there Rosyln, I apologize for misinterpreting your post.

On another note, do you happen to know if different countries have different laws regarding the press? Again I claim complete ignorance in this area, and I see you are not from America, as I am, so does Australia or whatever have "press laws"???
Old 02-13-2013, 10:11 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
My sentiments, exactly.
A couple of things here.

It is a private island and not a public beach. It has been privately owned since 1958. Much of it is owned or managed by a private corporation Mustique Company). Princess Margaret's former home on the island is managed by the firm.

That said, the water is an open venue and until the Mustique Company hires some gun boats to troll around and enforce the privacy of the island, long range photos will be taken. (there is some US based irony in that sentence. I do not expect them to start shooting at paps).
Old 02-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I'm impressed.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:21 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
A couple of things here.

It is a private island and not a public beach. It has been privately owned since 1958. Much of it is owned or managed by a private corporation Mustique Company). Princess Margaret's former home on the island is managed by the firm.

That said, the water is an open venue and until the Mustique Company hires some gun boats to troll around and enforce the privacy of the island, long range photos will be taken. (there is some US based irony in that sentence. I do not expect them to start shooting at paps).
Old 02-13-2013, 10:24 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
A couple of things here.

Indeed, if I were an owner/shareholder at Mustique I would be asking serious questions about who would have the gall i.e. financial need to sell photographs of guests to what is supposed to be a private island. The Mustique mystique has been shattered by a greedy guest and any self respecting celebrity will now think twice about darkening its balmy beaches
Old 02-13-2013, 10:52 PM
Gentry

Thought I should share this article from Guardian regarding expectation of privacy in Mustique.

What's to stop a British paper from publishing pictures of the duchess?

Some points in the article are quite interesting and perhaps relevant to the possible reasons why the Cambridges issue the "disappointed" comment.

Here it goes:

If the couple were indeed in public then, to quote from the code, they could not be said to have "a reasonable expectation of privacy.
In 2006, the Australian actress Elle Macpherson complained to the PCC about Hello! magazine publishing a bikini-clad picture of her on one of the island's beaches (Mustique). Her lawyers argued that all of Mustique's beaches were private and that she therefore imagined she was in a private place.

In its ruling, the PCC accepted that the beach was only technically private - because it was accessible to members of the public - but took the opinion that Macpherson had been seeking privacy and genuinely believed she had obtained it. So the commission decided that her "reasonable expectation" was well founded and ruled on her behalf against the magazine.

I agree that Mustique is only technically private. But I also think that considering the Cambridges/Middletons and the other Mustique beach goers have spent BIG money to holiday on the island, they should be expecting a beach experience that is significantly different from a public beach in a popular tourist spot. And this should include the expectation that they will not be photographed for financial gains.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:52 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Thank you. Any of us can misinterpret in this medium.

Quote:
On another note, do you happen to know if different countries have different laws regarding the press? Again I claim complete ignorance in this area, and I see you are not from America, as I am, so does Australia or whatever have "press laws"???
The laws seem to vary widely from country to country. In Australia there is no general right to privacy that protects a person's image. You can photograph people in public places without their permission, and, with some exceptions, you can take photographs from public places of people on private property. Arts Law : Street photographer

I'm having trouble recalling any instance of an Australian complaining about photographs published of them. Perhaps we're just more laid back about it. Perhaps we're just so used to seeing people almost naked on beaches and around pools we don't care much. And we tend not to be too impressed by people who act as though they are better than the rest of us and want to be given special treatment.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Thank you. Any of us can misinterpret in this medium.

The laws seem to vary widely from country to country. In Australia there is no general right to privacy that protects a person's image. You can photograph people in public places without their permission, and, with some exceptions, you can take photographs from public places of people on private property. Arts Law : Street photographer

I'm having trouble recalling any instance of an Australian complaining about photographs published of them. Perhaps we're just more laid back about it. Perhaps we're just so used to seeing people almost naked on beaches and around pools we don't care much.
Yes, my husband is from Europe and is not bothered by nude sunbathing at all, while I, as an American, am like "what???" LOL
Old 02-13-2013, 11:22 PM
Aristocracy

It was just a matter of time before someone would take and publish of photo of the pregnant Kate. Now it is over and maybe she won't have to worry about cameras peering into her bedroom.

I don't believe Princess Margaret ever worked and even during her royal life, she was never known for making that many appearances. The complaints were over the money she received from the civil lists. If she had private money not much would have been said about her life style. Until Queen Elizabeth II, the royal family was not expected to "work". Now they are expected to make dozen of appearances morning noon and night and how dare they take a vacation.

Since they don't receive funds from the civil lists except for expenses associated with representing the Queen at events, I just don't understand the expectations that the duchess would take on thousands of appearances. I also think she is a wonderful example. She is polite, friendly, personable, she does not hang out at bars, she doesn't do drugs or drink to excess, she doesn't appear to have an overly expensive life style like a Paris Hilton or a Kardashian. She seems to prefer the company of her husband.

Whether Katherine becomes a clone of Princess Anne or not, she is still married to an heir to the throne and stands a good chance of one day being the Queen Consort.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:23 PM
Majesty

I guess the Cambridge's are back from their holiday. Pippa is said to have attended Beulah London's 2013 collection preview tonight.

Video:
Pregnant Duchess pictures are about 'decency and consent for women'
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...for-women.html

Very well put, Charlotte Harris.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:56 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post

No, that is extreme Andolini. But you should take precautions such as (and these are just my examples) carry a pepper spray, or assess which way is less dangerous to travel, etc. PRECAUTIONS TO MINIMIZE the chance of what you don't want to happen.

Do you understand what I mean? Being careful to avoid something without having to go to extremes whereby your life is a living hell.
Actually, Andolini's example is exactly what you're arguing. Your argument puts the onus on the victim and not enough shame/blame/responsibility on the perpetrator. I.e. yes, we should protect ourselves, but if you are violated/victimized in any way, you should have done more. It's ridiculous.