Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 4: September 2012-February 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats kind of dangerous though, especially within close range. Should someone check the guns to make sure they are in working condition? I would hate for a gun to fire out of the blue especially if someone is within close range, like the D and D. Not good.

I think that's what the Met Police's inquiry will seek to establish. One thing I will say is that police are not routinely armed in Britain (it's different in NI). Protection officers would obviously be armed, but we don't know how much experience this particular officer will have had in keeping the weapon on his person, if he were new to the PPO role.

Hearing gunshots is a pretty frightening experience when you don't know where it's coming from. As a child I heard, but didn't see, terrorists shooting members of the public in my hometown. It's a sound that stays with you.

Who confirmed the couple wont be at the RAH on Saturday?

Press release from BP

The Royal Family attending at the Royal Albert Hall:

HM The Queen and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh
HRH The Duke of York (who will also read the Lesson during the Service)
TRH The Earl and Countess of Wessex
HRH The Princess Royal and Vice-Admiral Sir Tim Laurence
TRH The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester
HRH Prince Michael of Kent

(Press release by Buckingham Palace via The Majesty Magazine Facebook page)

All those attending The Fesitval of Remembrance at The Royal Albert Hall are fulltime working members of the royal family.

Dman said:
All those attending The Fesitval of Remembrance at The Royal Albert Hall are fulltime working members of the royal family.

So? Both remembrance events are on a weekend, the events are planned almost a year in advance. William and Catherine attending the Cenotaph last year, they should really step up their game on events that do actually matter to this country.

They will be at The Cenotaph but it's my guess that full-time royals are the ones that attend the Festival of Remembrance at The Royal Albert Hall or else we would see William & Catherine there. It's just my opinion because no one seems to properly explain why they don't attend the Service at the RAH. I too think they should attend and I hope they will at some point.

I am sort of afraid to voice my thoughts on this subject because if I say what I really feel I will get it! BIG MISTAKE but time will tell!

msleiman said:
I am sort of afraid to voice my thoughts on this subject because if I say what I really feel I will get it! BIG MISTAKE but time will tell!

I'm confused, if you don't wish to express your opinion why did you write this post? Kind of attention seeking.

I'm confused, if you don't wish to express your opinion why did you write this post? Kind of attention seeking.

Yes you got me! This is the whole reason I said that! I posted before and got jumped and now it happened again! What a very nice place! People should be a little kind but I guess it will never happen!

msleiman said:
Yes you got me! This is the whole reason I said that! I posted before and got jumped and now it happened again! What a very nice place! People should be a little kind but I guess it will never happen!

I didn't 'jump' on you, I asked a simple question. You are free to express your opinion however you like, others are free to openly disagree. However making a post that adds nothing to a discussion makes no sense.

Why don't you simply state your opinion and do it politely? Then nobody will "jump on you". :flowers:

I have stated my opinion and stated it nice! I feel that if I say any thing about William and Kate that I get jumped! I don't understand why you are allowed to state what you feel but I can not! I think it is a very bid mistake that they do not take part it such events but when I say that I get jumped! I

Please tell me what I said that was not polite

I just checked some of your remarks and got the feeling that you're a bit insecure in voicing your opinion first and then misinterpret responses. I certainly don't feel people "jumped" on your remarks, rather answered to them in their own way. Maybe you should try to see it simply as a way of discussion???:flowers::flowers:

I have stated my opinion and stated it nice! I feel that if I say any thing about William and Kate that I get jumped! I don't understand why you are allowed to state what you feel but I can not! I think it is a very bid mistake that they do not take part it such events but when I say that I get jumped! I

I don't think anyone jumped on you for your posts regarding the Indonesian state dinner where you expressed your displeasure at their lack of attendance. People did respond to you by saying 1) William, although 2nd in line, is still only the Queens grandson and not a full time working member of the BRF while being a full time officer in the RAF SAR and 2) state dinners are not a big deal in the UK and that most people in the UK would not know about or even care much about the dinner.

Saying someone is attention seeking or being impolite is not part of any discussion! It is rude. I am a shy person and it is hard for me to reply or join in with the group. I do feel that each time I do I get this type of response.

I feel that William and Kate should be at these big events!

Saying someone is attention seeking or being impolite is not part of any discussion! It is rude. I am a shy person and it is hard for me to reply or join in with the group. I do feel that each time I do I get this type of response.

Yes, I think most of us wish that they would attend these big events but we are trying to be patient (not always easy), knowing that it could be very soon that we find out that William & Kate are becoming full-time working royals. Isn't there supposed to be some sort of announcement regarding William's armed forces service this Fall? For me, I'm happy when we do see them out and about but I don't hold my breath just yet!

Maybe a really stupid question, but how *does* prince William mix his professional schedule (his armed forces job) with his royal schedule?
Does the professional schedule prevail and are the gaps filled with his royal duties, or are both schedules planned around eachother...?

So? Both remembrance events are on a weekend, the events are planned almost a year in advance. William and Catherine attending the Cenotaph last year, they should really step up their game on events that do actually matter to this country.

Why don't you explain to me the decision making process that goes into which Royals attend what events?
If you think they should step up their game, explain to a simple person like myself, how they would go about it. The Queen is either the boss of the firm or its a free for all.
William is a serving member of the RAF, I don't think he needs a 'royal blogger' from TRF to tell him what his responsibilities are to the country he puts his life on the line for.

Edit: Actually don't bother because when I really want to know what you think about William and Catherine, I head over to the DM and read the vitriol you spew at them in the comments section.

Last edited:
Don't buy this full-time working royal thing. The Michaels of Kent have always attended these banquets and have never even been "official" working royals never mind full time ones. IMO William has been making it up as he's went along since he turned 18 and he's done a great job at getting away with it.

Last edited:
Don't buy this full-time working royal thing. The Michaels of Kent have always attended these banquets and have never even been "official" working royals never mind full time ones. IMO William has been making it up as he's went along since he turned 18 and he's done a great job at getting away with it.

The Michaels of Kent will show up anywhere for anything they are invited to and have long been attendees at state dinners. IMO William has a full time job in the SAR which is his primary function, royal functions are secondary at the moment. In the 17 months since he married he has toured Canada, visited California, toured Malaysia, Singapore, Tuvalu, Solomon Islands, taken part in the Jubilee and the Olympic events, as well as various other engagements around the UK. In all I think he has fit in quite a significant number of events in amongst his primary work duties, although I suspect he gets more time off than most and there may be some occassional discontent amongst those in the SAR that have to cover for him when he gets called away to play his royal role. I am sure his fellow service men and women would like to have the same amount of time to spend with their families.

Completely different roles within the BRF - plus life-style and logistics.

D&D of Cambridge - live on an island far from London (200-300 miles?? - William has Geography degree, not me!); he is working full-time as a SAR pilot; he manages his royal duties around his shift pattern. There is some flexibility but (IMO) mainly around alternative military work - ie attending the Remembrance service on 12th November this year. Other flexibility lies around days off in lieu of shift pattern work (all SAR personnel get this).

I would add IMO William wants Catherine with him and does not want her away from Angelsey whilst he is there. But that is just my view.

PRince Michael of Kent lives in London, is retired in terms of full time military employment; has time on his hands and is a willing helper to HMQ.

Chalk and cheese. HMQ financially supports the Kents and they oblige. William and CAtherine have many years in which to attend these events.

Maybe a really stupid question, but how *does* prince William mix his professional schedule (his armed forces job) with his royal schedule?
Does the professional schedule prevail and are the gaps filled with his royal duties, or are both schedules planned around eachother...?

I'm going to take a stab at this one. I do not claim to know if this is precisely how its done as I'm not well informed on how the RAF works things but this is just a glimpse of how it may be done.

For years my hubby worked as a professional EMT and like William, sometimes had 24 to 36 hour shifts. The duty roster was prepared most times a month in advance. If you had something going on, you told a supervisor and they would work accordingly if at all possible. It wasn't unusual either for two crewmen to "swap" shifts. This enabled for more time off all in a row in cases of emergencies, unforseen out of town trips etc. I imagine its similar to William's scheduling.

As events that he wishes to attend or should be a part of are on the calendar way ahead of time and not last minute things, I imagine this figures in for when William is scheduled to be on station and such. It could be possible that he has a week and a half off with no SAR shifts but doubles up after or before to make his quota for the month. I bet in this regards, some of the guys that work more the week and a half that William isn't actually prefer it as then they've got a longer stretch of off time also. We also have to remember too that there are such safety procedures that do limit how much a crewman can work without down time just as I know here in the US, a long haul truck driver can only be on the road for so many hours without rest.

Hope this helps some.

Well prince Michael and the duke of Kent had full time military careers into the 1970s and I have seen many old photos of them attending banquets even then.

Well prince Michael and the duke of Kent had full time military careers into the 1970s and I have seen many old photos of them attending banquets even then.
Were they stationed on an island off the coast of Wales or were they based in and around London at the time of these dinners. I know the Duke had a number of overseas postings, including Cyprus, before he retired from active service in 1976. Michael continued to serve until 1981 but he was mostly serving in Defence Intelligence Service at home by then. He was certainly in and around London when he was courting MC.

Last edited:

and at the time they were getting free lodgings from the royal estates - times really have changed.

Excellent - you are welcome to your opinion and we are not offended. We are glad you expressed yourself.

People will disagree - and that is the point of a forum, Please do not take it personally. The point of a forum is that we can all say what we believe and we often disagree. Disagreeing is part of the whole deal.

I'm going to take a stab at this one.

Osipi - I mostly agree with you. I also think:

Wills has a F/T job and clearly enjoys being out of the spotlight. I don't think he is begging Granny for additional assignments just yet.

Wills was displeased about the intimate pics. I think it made him value his privacy more- rather than less.

His job is full on wacky - schedule wise, and he has had a lot of his "time off" this year eaten up by official duties. Plus - any time off from work can be cancelled by special need of weather, ill crew member replacement, etc. I think the SAR is tired of giving him breaks for Jubilee, Olympics, Jubilee tour, etc.

He may be enjoying his last days of private life (if he IS going F/T royal next year) and wanting to really enjoy them.

Back in the 60's the royals were not chin deep in paps every time the boys on duty came into London for a meal. The armed forces were willing to give royals "less demanding" roles and more flexible schedules. Not true today.

Last edited:
I think that this year is an hiatus. IMO, from 2013, HMQ and Prince Philip will start backing off; Charles will maintain his phenomenal schedule (over 600 already this year); and William & Catherine will take on full time status. I have agreed that whilst he is serving as an SAR pilot, William did not need to take a on full-time role but with the (sadly) declining health of Prince PHilip William does need to step up. I do see the possibility of a less intense role within the RAF for William (pilot-tutor?) so that his training is not wasted but the public will/is starting to expect more.

I think that it is unfair to expect Catherine to take on a full-time role whilst William doesn't. He wants her with him and that's a good thing. Her priority is William, and he makes the decisions. If they remain in a remote spot such as Angelsey, it just makes it more difficult.

msleiman, your thoughts and feelings are appreciated. We all are here to share our opinions and I think everyone's opinions should be respected, despite our disagreements.

As William has stated, it's becoming even harder for him to balance out his military life and royal duties. I'm sure if he and Catherine was able to attend many of the official state events, they would be there. I think when the Cambridges take up full-time royal duties we will see them attend more events.

Isn"t Williams contract with the RAF supposed to expire in mid 2013. I don"t know the exact date. Isn"t the apartment in Kensington Palace supposed to be finished about that time? Wasn't 2 years supposed to be the time they were to be allowed to live privately before becoming full time royals. Sounds like it is all going to come together as planned by the Queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom