The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #1361  
Old 02-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Orleans, United States
Posts: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post

The only staged photosessions I've seen were on Ski holidays (last one being 2006?) and when the boys went to school...

They're not interested because continental royal families, most of them anyway, manage to keep their noses away from anything untoward.
In the first paragraph, you're making EIIR's argument.

In the second, I'd have to disagree with your argument. Carl Gustaf and strip clubs? Albert of Monaco and his various 'babygate's? There have been plenty of scandals, but that's not the point. The intl press doesn't pay as much attention to the continental royals because they are from tiny countries, and not one of the world's superpowers from the last two centuries.
__________________

__________________
  #1362  
Old 02-10-2013, 05:50 PM
EIIR's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Somewhere, United Kingdom
Posts: 2,624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Yeah because that's the only reason William and Henry hate the press.

The only staged photosessions I've seen were on Ski holidays (last one being 2006?) and when the boys went to school. In 30 years, where both boys went from school to further education/military and all we saw were them falling out of clubs at 3am almost every weekend. I'd think William and Henry are the ones who need a bit of good press on their side.

Yes the press new about Henry's deployment and that Vegas was a few days before, however do you really expect national newspapers to forgo the opportunity to print pictures of a naked heir to throne? Henry dug his own press loving whole.

Other royal couples can have their photosessions which then allow them holiday privacy because the overseas press isn't interested in them is correct. They're not interested because continental royal families, most of them anyway, manage to keep their noses away from anything untoward.
I didn't say that was the only reason they hate the press. After being the victims of illegal phone-tapping by the press, not to mention their parents' treatment at the hands of the press, they have more than enough reason to see the press for what they are.

The Harry issue came after a period of relative good relations with the press. Only The Sun felt that those pictures should be printed. The other newspapers chose not to do so, taking everything else into consideration. Public perception of that incident changed totally when it was revealed that Harry had gone to Afghan, which the papers knew about well before Vegas. I think we can cut a young man heading into a hellhole within days, putting his life on the line for our safety and security, a little bit of slack, prince or not.

William gave pre-arranged photo shoots at St. Andrews. Charles and the boys did the same at Balmoral. It happened for several years while they were on their ski holidays. The tactic just didn't work. The paps were still trying to get their exclusives. What's the point of arranging and taking part in a photo shoot supposedly in return for privacy when the press don't bother keeping their side of the deal?

It's funny that you think other RFs don't have scandals like the BRF. Most of those royals live in countries where the press just is not so hardcore as ours is. From the King of Sweden and his strip clubs, underworld friends and popsinger mistresses, to the Dutch and acceptance of bribes from Lockheed and their love children, to the Belgian king and his own lovechild, they're no cleaner than the British royals. They've just been lucky to live in countries where the press hasn't gone after them in the way the British press does. That's changing now though as events in Spain demonstrate.

Scandals in the BRF make headlines everywhere; scandals in other RFs do not.
__________________

__________________
  #1363  
Old 02-10-2013, 05:59 PM
miche's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: N/A, United States
Posts: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
I didn't say that was the only reason they hate the press. After being the victims of illegal phone-tapping by the press, not to mention their parents' treatment at the hands of the press, they have more than enough reason to see the press for what they are.

The Harry issue came after a period of relative good relations with the press. Only The Sun felt that those pictures should be printed. The other newspapers chose not to do so, taking everything else into consideration. Public perception of that incident changed totally when it was revealed that Harry had gone to Afghan, which the papers knew about well before Vegas. I think we can cut a young man heading into a hellhole within days, putting his life on the line for our safety and security, a little bit of slack, prince or not.

William gave pre-arranged photo shoots at St. Andrews. Charles and the boys did the same at Balmoral. It happened for several years while they were on their ski holidays. The tactic just didn't work. The paps were still trying to get their exclusives. What's the point of arranging and taking part in a photo shoot supposedly in return for privacy when the press don't bother keeping their side of the deal?

It's funny that you think other RFs don't have scandals like the BRF. Most of those royals live in countries where the press just is not so hardcore as ours is. From the King of Sweden and his strip clubs, underworld friends and popsinger mistresses, to the Dutch and acceptance of bribes from Lockheed and their love children, to the Belgian king and his own lovechild, they're no cleaner than the British royals. They've just been lucky to live in countries where the press hasn't gone after them in the way the British press does. That's changing now though as events in Spain demonstrate.

Scandals in the BRF make headlines everywhere; scandals in other RFs do not.
Well said

The events most seems to forgot is Juan Carlos and the event surrounding his older brother death
__________________
  #1364  
Old 02-10-2013, 06:04 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,317


Good post - thank you.

I think that all the royals the world over need to take into account what impacts on their people. 10 years ago no would have worried about the King of Spain going hunting but when 25% of the population out of work, it doesn't look good. W&C going on hols in not a problem - 19k a week is a major problem. They need to understand what the problems are and currently a number of royals do not.

I know that there have been issues in the past re negotiating with the press but the 1 different event that made me think it might be possible and therefore at least worth the conversation is the Leveson enquiry in the UK. That has made the media here stop and think. There are obviously (from posts today) issues of safety building in the states.

It might not work but surely its worth a try? At the very least, when the BRF goes after a pap or newspaper owner, they can say they tried.

Admittedly I feel that this has a Dunkirk, Alamo, last stand feel about it but, hell, I'd at least try.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #1365  
Old 02-10-2013, 06:20 PM
Sun Lion's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Robert Jobson ‏@theroyaleditor Kate bump pics: It is unclear whether photographer was on Mustique or if new snaps were taken from a boat offshore.
Robert Jobson ‏@theroyaleditor
Kate bump pics: Royal aide said: “This is unfortunate. They get absolutely no privacy whatsoever.”
Robert Jobson ‏@theroyaleditor
Kate "bump" pics: Palace officials described that intrusion as “grotesque and totally unjustifiable”.
Robert Jobson ‏@theroyaleditor
Kate bump pics: This was surely inevitable from the moment they stepped onto the plane to Mustique? It is unfair, but paps supply a market.
Hi ghost_night554,

It's Monday morning here in Sydney, and I had the TV on and just realised your Robert Jobson is the Royal Correspondant for one of our channels here.

During a couple of crosses to London, Rob spoke about the Mustique photos and said William would be furious and Catherine heart-broken. Quoted a Royal spokesperson calling it a "grotesque invasion".

He said the British newpapers would not publish them, but they would still be seen there online after they are brought and published elsewhere.

He said the current price was in the region of $400,000 (Australian).

He explained the beaches of Mustique are public even though the island is private.

He spoke as though they were taken from a boat by paparazzo, rather than by fellow holiday-makers taking phone photos. (Seems they are walking in the surf in the pictures.)

Rob made the point that it is inevitable that they will be subjected to these types of photos if they take these types of holidays, and that is why the Queen holidays at home.

Rob also reported on the reaction to Catherine's letter of condolence being typed, instead of hand-written, and said he had lunch last week with one of Diana's former aides, and that this is something Catherine could learn from.

As an aside - they showed the letter - I couldn't help noticing Catherine had dropped a couple of letters from her signature. Large C, small flat a, strong t and h with a bit of flourish, then e, i and e full stop. No r or n.

As another aside - "Woman's Day" is out this morning reporting on the "spat" between William and his mother-in-law. (Too close, "moving into KP for the birth" etc.)

Even if it is just a flight of fancy by the magazine, this magazine has many readers here in Oz, and as noted by other posters, perception is everything.

Cheers Everyone, Sun Lion.
__________________
  #1366  
Old 02-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Campbelltown, Australia
Posts: 97
You know Sun Lion, I can't believe people still buy those rubbishy magazines, except to line the budgie's/ cockatoo's cages with.
__________________
  #1367  
Old 02-10-2013, 07:08 PM
XeniaCasaraghi's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: 1729 Noneofyourbusiness Drive, United States
Posts: 2,269
Reasons for WnH to be wary or the press.

The crap they out their parents through in the 90s
Chasing their mother to death
How the press treated their father and grandmother after Diana died, instigating a mob mentality that forced grieving children to parade in front of said mob.
The phone tapping
Naked pix of Kate in 2011

I would put Harry's naked pix on this list but that was more the fault of some idiot looking for a quick buck.
With all that being said I still don't see either did them being hostile to the press. They do their job smile for the cams when they are required, then go back home and go on with their daily lives.
__________________
Princess Grace, April 19, 1956
Princess Margaret Rose, May 6, 1960
Crown Princess Mette-Marit, August 25, 2001
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
  #1368  
Old 02-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Sun Lion's Avatar
Nobility
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
You know Sun Lion, I can't believe people still buy those rubbishy magazines, except to line the budgie's/ cockatoo's cages with.
Hi Trillian - yes I know.

I grew up at a time in Australia when the women's magazines were the only place to have a bit glamour in life, and they ran proper interviews done by well-respected journalists with Princess Grace, Sophia Loren, Audrey Hepburn etc.

Only marvellous Jackie Onassis didn't give interviews and posed photos by Lord Snowdon etc., but she was also closely followed.

Times have changed though and even the grammar is sometimes shoddy in the articles now, and you never get an actual interview with the actual subject - just "a friend said", "a source close to" etc.

But I know from my own life how many women still buy these magazines here in Australia - not just older women who don't use computers, but so many office girls etc., who want a bit of escapism in their lunch-break. That's why there are now so many magazines I would class as "worse" than Woman's Day and New Idea - really targetting the younger market with celeb stories and photos.

These young women don't know they've missed the golden age when Australia was so isolated and magazines could open up your aspirations - (real aspirations, not aspirations to own a $3,000 handbag.)

Cheers, Sun Lion.
__________________
  #1369  
Old 02-10-2013, 07:57 PM
Roslyn's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tintenbar, Australia
Posts: 2,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Reasons for WnH to be wary or the press.

The crap they out their parents through in the 90s
Chasing their mother to death
How the press treated their father and grandmother after Diana died, instigating a mob mentality that forced grieving children to parade in front of said mob.
The phone tapping
Naked pix of Kate in 2011
I don't think that the press can be solely blamed for the mob mentality we saw in action after Diana's death. It was very disturbing, but it has been known before; it's a dark side of human nature. Diana had become larger than life: a sort of goddess, and she was worshipped as such. It was a complicated phenomenon with many contributing factors, but I can't blame the press alone. The press wasn't the reason people started leaving flowers outside KP, and it wasn't the reason people were criticising the RF for staying in Scotland. The press wasn't the reason those people called out to William and Harry when they were doing that walkabout. That was PR exercise on the part of the RF, to appease the mob, and IMO it was appalling to have subjected them to it.

The press photographers only make money because people buy the magazines. I blame "the people" as much as, if not more than, the press. And Diana herself had a lot to do with it, since she played games with the press. She had her pets and initiated contact and manipulated her publicity to a certain extent, and when the relationship turned sour she suffered. Once she'd opened that stable door and that horse could not be put back in.

And she would not have been chased that fatal night if she had not run; there was no need for them to have left that hotel that night.

If William and Kate insist on going to places such as Mustique, they are going to be photographed. The more they complain about it, the more tempting it's going to be to find them and photograph them. It's got a lot to do with the challenge and the thrill of the chase.

I hope William steps back and considers their situation objectively, and to do that he has to look beyond his own experiences as Diana's son. I hope he takes advice and doesn't just dig his heels in and act out of emotion. But he is his mother's son, and Diana wasn't known for taking advice from people who gave advice she didn't like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Lion View Post
Even if it is just a flight of fancy by the magazine, this magazine has many readers here in Oz, and as noted by other posters, perception is everything.
Having said what I wrote above, I am going to have to go out and buy the "Woman's Day" and "New Idea" a bit later on. I don't read the wretched things but I have to buy them for my mother, who believes what she reads in them. I am always embarrassed when I take them to the counter.
__________________
  #1370  
Old 02-10-2013, 08:20 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ipswich, United Kingdom
Posts: 661
I have yet to seen a picture.
__________________
  #1371  
Old 02-10-2013, 08:28 PM
Dman's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 6,386
I haven't seen a picture either hopefully they won't be posted on the net.
__________________
  #1372  
Old 02-10-2013, 08:59 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Campbelltown, Australia
Posts: 97
The photos may not be in the Sydney Daily Telegraph today, but they are discussing them.
__________________
  #1373  
Old 02-10-2013, 09:02 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ipswich, United Kingdom
Posts: 661
How do you know this?
__________________
  #1374  
Old 02-10-2013, 09:04 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Campbelltown, Australia
Posts: 97
There is an article in today's DT, talking about the photos. Hope that clears that up.
__________________
  #1375  
Old 02-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Aristocracy
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 120
I have read most of the comments.

What is the big deal??? A family trip to the islands.

I don't recall too many complaints about the Royal family spending the entire month of August in Scotland.

Don't recall too many complaints about the Queens weekends at Windsor Castle instead of working in London.

I could see complaints IF the British taxpayers paid for the vacations. But they didn't.

I read that Prince Harry will get 5 weeks vacation forint 5 months in Afghanistan. I suspect someone will complain about that as well.
__________________
  #1376  
Old 02-10-2013, 09:30 PM
GracieGiraffe's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Giraffe Land, United States
Posts: 1,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
I don't think that the press can be solely blamed for the mob mentality we saw in action after Diana's death. It was very disturbing, but it has been known before; it's a dark side of human nature. Diana had become larger than life: a sort of goddess, and she was worshipped as such. It was a complicated phenomenon with many contributing factors, but I can't blame the press alone. The press wasn't the reason people started leaving flowers outside KP, and it wasn't the reason people were criticising the RF for staying in Scotland. The press wasn't the reason those people called out to William and Harry when they were doing that walkabout. That was PR exercise on the part of the RF, to appease the mob, and IMO it was appalling to have subjected them to it.

The press photographers only make money because people buy the magazines. I blame "the people" as much as, if not more than, the press. And Diana herself had a lot to do with it, since she played games with the press. She had her pets and initiated contact and manipulated her publicity to a certain extent, and when the relationship turned sour she suffered. Once she'd opened that stable door and that horse could not be put back in.

And she would not have been chased that fatal night if she had not run; there was no need for them to have left that hotel that night.

If William and Kate insist on going to places such as Mustique, they are going to be photographed. The more they complain about it, the more tempting it's going to be to find them and photograph them. It's got a lot to do with the challenge and the thrill of the chase.

I hope William steps back and considers their situation objectively, and to do that he has to look beyond his own experiences as Diana's son. I hope he takes advice and doesn't just dig his heels in and act out of emotion. But he is his mother's son, and Diana wasn't known for taking advice from people who gave advice she didn't like.



Having said what I wrote above, I am going to have to go out and buy the "Woman's Day" and "New Idea" a bit later on. I don't read the wretched things but I have to buy them for my mother, who believes what she reads in them. I am always embarrassed when I take them to the counter.
Great post and I agree - it's always been a dance between Palace, Press and Public. The public claims to be on the side of the palace, but in large part it's on the side of the press. Actions speak louder than words.

There ARE far greater issues with some of the other royals. The Bourbons come to mind, and there are others. But the BRF is most popular world wide, the most known. I think that the press and public also take a perverse pleasure in getting a rise out of Will and Harry.
__________________
The future George VII's opinion on infant carriers,
"One is not amused."
  #1377  
Old 02-10-2013, 09:32 PM
cepe's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London, United Kingdom
Posts: 4,317
The deal is duchess of Cambridge too sick to work but well enough to go on holiday 8 hrs flight away; not perceived as working enough; unlike Harry, has not put life on the line PLUS they are spending 19k a week to stay on the island.

That, in economically difficult times is seen as a "deal". If they had spent some money staying somewhere in the UK there would not have been a problem at all.
__________________

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
  #1378  
Old 02-10-2013, 09:33 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto (ON) & London (UK), Canada
Posts: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee27 View Post
I don't recall too many complaints about the Royal family spending the entire month of August in Scotland.
No one is envious of weeks spent in the cold and the wind and the rain of Scotland.
__________________
  #1379  
Old 02-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Courtier
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ipswich, United Kingdom
Posts: 661
I think the British Press are showing incredible restraint so they get brownie points.
__________________
  #1380  
Old 02-10-2013, 09:41 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Campbelltown, Australia
Posts: 97
I've held off saying this for 60 pages of this thread....people, build a bridge and get over it. Good luck to them. Cairns FNQ would have been my choice, but Cairns is only a 2.5 hour flight for me, it would be nearly 23hour flight for the Duke and Duchess.
__________________

__________________
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Duchess of Cambridge current events 2: 1 February 2012 - 5 January 2013 Zonk Current Events Archive 1905 01-05-2013 06:37 PM
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge current events 3: April 2 - September 10 2012 ghost_night554 Current Events Archive 983 09-13-2012 05:07 PM
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events Thread 2: 1 December 2011 - 1 April 2012 Zonk Current Events Archive 887 04-03-2012 10:16 PM




Additional Links
Popular Tags
birth charlene chris o'neill crown prince frederik crown prince haakon crown princess letizia crown princess mary crown princess mette-marit crown princess victoria current events fashion grand duchess maria teresa grand duke henri hohenzollern infanta cristina infanta elena infanta leonor infanta sofia jordan king abdullah ii king carl xvi gustav king felipe king felipe vi king harald king juan carlos king philippe king willem-alexander luxembourg ottoman palace pom prince albert prince albert ii prince carl philip prince constantijn prince felipe prince felix prince floris prince laurent prince pieter-christiaan princess princess alexia (2005 -) princess anita princess ariane princess beatrix princess catharina-amalia princess charlene princess claire princess elisabeth princess laurentien princess letizia princess mabel princess madeleine princess margriet princess marie princess mary princess of asturias queen letizia queen mathilde queen maxima queen paola queen rania queen silvia queen sofia royal russia spain state visit wedding william


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002-2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:03 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises

Royal News Delivered to your Email!

You can get the latest Royal News right in your inbox.

unsusbcribe at anytime with one click

Close [X]