The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 11:55 PM
Administrator

Let's keep Diana out of the Cambridge Current Events thread.

That's all we need.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:51 AM
Heir Apparent

Good grief! All this chest thumping and general angst because Catherine has obviously gotten over her pretty rough start to her pregnancy and William and she have decided to join the family on their annual fun in the sun holiday.

Yes, William has got a real job.

Yes, he gets leave, it seems like more when you factor in the 24 hour on duty/ on call situation.

No, he is not the heir!

No, they do not "owe" it to anyone to live in public austerity because not everyone in the UK and Commonwealth has a job or is rich!

They do owe it to themselves to stay physically and mentally healthy within their semi-private lives.

When William is the heir I might think . . . "take it when you have the chance".

Because he's not the heir I think that it is OK to pass comment, this is, after all, a current events thread. It in not, however my right to pass judgement.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:44 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
Not a lot of research seems to go on by various people when wanting to be critical of Kate and the amount of engagements she's undertaking. In actual fact it's comparable to Diana's. The then Princess Elizabeth with her first 2 pregnancies did no official engagements, there are no photos of her pregnant. As Queen though with her younger 2 she did.
Thanks for all the work it took you to put that together Charlotte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COESpiral View Post
I don't get this thought process that because there are people in the country that are suffering financially that William and Kate must go about in sackcloth and ashes and take whatever vitriol is aimed at them simply because they do have money and (in his case) born into royalty.

So I hope they enjoy their vacation and best wishes to them. I'd love to be able to do the same. Maybe someday.
You aren't the only one who can't figure out this particular way of thinking. I also hope they are enjoying their vacation. Once they get back, between William's duty hours, the engagements Kate has sked , Dr's appts, going over the work being done at Kensington Palace and making sure it's ready for them to move into and then whatever else happens to pop up both privately and publicly and before they and us know it....It'll be Baby time!! This very well could be the last Vacation they take w/out having to worry about the little one and do they have this or that, so I very much hope they are having a great time right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
For the record, those of us who mentioned Diana, or HM for that matter during their pregnancies were not comparing in order to say these royal women worked more, but that they worked less than Kate during their pregnancies.
As another poster wisely noted, it is not the facts that interest people, it is their perception of the facts.
Precisely!! And then are those to whom the facts don't even matter. Only their little vendetta matters and to Hell w/the facts and reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRHHermione View Post
I will be so, so happy when she's back to work and doing engagements again. Not because I'm worried about her work load being too light, but just because I don't know how many more slow royal news days I can take. People get starved for news and the conversation just goes totally off the rails.
No kidding, but there are those who go after Kate regardless and I will never understand such stupid, sad and bitter attacks against someone they don't know, nor will ever likely meet. I just don't get it.

And Marg....Thank you!! Perfectly said and true.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:04 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
Does anyone know when they are due to return to England?
Catherine has an engagement on the 19th.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:36 AM
Heir Presumptive

My parents are going on their second vacation in less than 6 MOS. They are doing it to "get away". They aren't rich like WnK so they aren't going far. WnK are rich and I don't see why they should act any differently than the other richies who jet off on holidays? Because certain people find it offensive because they can't go on vacations? Because William will be king in about 40yrs and as a result he should never go on a vacation cuz he might offend his future subjects?

I've said this before and I will say it again, the people who are complaining are not going to be satisfies unless there is a 24hr video feed of William and Catherines's daily life so they can see then work for themselves.....and then continue to criticize them.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 02-08-2013, 06:27 AM
Royal Highness

Just read on another forum that Princess Charlene is on a short holiday in warmer climes - no one seems to mind. Shouldn't we be moving on and put this subject to rest?
Old 02-08-2013, 06:55 AM
Aristocracy

^^^^i would love to be able to put this to rest. Kate isnt the first one to marry the 2nd in line. the last one (Sarah) held a job and that in it self had the press upset and everyone worried about security. i remember the scandel that created. all i am saying if kate worked or didnt work people would be upset. if she travels or doesnt travel, she is going to make people upset. at least if she is shopping and traveling they are putting money back in the economy, right? she will never make everyone happy all the time. after a while, if i was her, i wouldnt even try.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:08 AM
Majesty

I wonder if William & Catherine will attend the BAFTA'S? William haven't attended in a while.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:27 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I wonder if William & Catherine will attend the BAFTA'S? William haven't attended in a while.
It's Sunday night, nothing's confirmed and I suspect they'll be in Mustique until next weekend when Catherine comes back for her 19th engagement.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I will be so, so happy when she's back to work and doing engagements again. Not because I'm worried about her work load being too light, but just because I don't know how many more slow royal news days I can take. People get starved for news and the conversation just goes totally off the rails.
Here, here!! IMO this is why're reason behind this entire conversation.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
BAFTAs will take place on Sunday 10 Feb. It'd be great if they could attend it. I bet they won't as they're in Mustique
Old 02-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
Does anyone know when they are due to return to England?
When they went to Mustique last year, they stayed about a week. So I imagine they'll be returning early next week.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
When they went to Mustique last year, they stayed about a week. So I imagine they'll be returning early next week.
I do think so At least until Wednesday. Although last year they stayed for two weeks so they could only return on Friday or during the weekend
Old 02-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Ah, you're right...they did stay for almost 2 weeks. At least Kate and the Middletons did. William had to work, so he only stayed for one week.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Ah, you're right...they did stay for almost 2 weeks. At least Kate and the Middletons did. William had to work, so he only stayed for one week.
Yes like last year William might have only a few days off work.

It's reported someone have left Mustique and I believe it was William who left if indeed someone left. I'm not sure if the source is true.

Some sources say her parents and siblings have been there 10 days already
Old 02-08-2013, 01:31 PM
Majesty

Riders on the lawn! Showjumpers to compete in William and Kate’s garden:
Riders on the lawn! Showjumpers to compete in William and Kate
Old 02-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
It may be a slow royal news day but only if you subscribe to the view (which some on here and in the mainstream media appear to) that the only members of the royal family are William, Kate & Harry.

The Queen, Edward, Anne, Charles & Camilla (at least) have all been out & about working since the golden couple went on holiday.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Royal Highness

William & Catherine are on vacation-taking their time to "recharge their batteries" for the things that lay ahead of them (and probably enjoying their last baby-free holydays!) and even if the current economic situation is not rosey,if nobody spent their money on holydays or shopping how should the situation improve?How do you create/maintain jobs if nobody buys anything?

I hope we can close the issue wheter or not their vacation is deserved for now....
Old 02-08-2013, 02:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoriaB View Post

It may be a slow royal news day but only if you subscribe to the view (which some on here and in the mainstream media appear to) that the only members of the royal family are William, Kate & Harry.

The Queen, Edward, Anne, Charles & Camilla (at least) have all been out & about working since the golden couple went on holiday.
Can we be done with this? It's ridiculous. It's their annual family trip AND all of the people you mentioned take breaks and go on vacations maybe not around the world, but they do as do other royal couples. I think we've hashed out the issue enough.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:42 PM
Majesty

I do think this will be the last trip for them for a while since they will have a baby to look after.

I think it's good that Kensington Palace is the focus of attention once again.