The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
Since the monarchy has record support. I think a poll during the Jubilee had it at 80% The highest it had been for a very long time. The average is between 60 to 75% support.
I was referring to their loss of power and influence. Corrosion of entitlements, etc. However I also see decline with regards to the Commonwealth.

Should have explained myself better.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Not to detract from the ongoing discussion on whether or not a vacation is appropriate at this time for Will and Kate, I am wondering what their response is going to be for the people in and around the Solomon Islands they visited last year after the recent earthquake and devastating tsunami that followed.

Will and Kate really seemed to enjoy their time there and the people they met so naturally I thought of them when I first heard the news on this earthquake. Hopefully we'll get an announcement of some kind.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Not to detract from the ongoing discussion on whether or not a vacation is appropriate at this time for Will and Kate, I am wondering what their response is going to be for the people in and around the Solomon Islands they visited last year after the recent earthquake and devastating tsunami that followed.

Will and Kate really seemed to enjoy their time there and the people they met so naturally I thought of them when I first heard the news on this earthquake. Hopefully we'll get an announcement of some kind.
Same thing w/me when I heard the news last night. I'm sure we'll be hearing something soon.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Heir Apparent

I agree with, Zonk. I think we all just need to calm down. There are several royals who are on or are going on vacation. They all have been busy and they want to take some time to be with their families. There's nothing wrong with that.

Also, I do think it's very important to point out that the royals do care about those who are less fortunate. They lend their royal patronage to countless charities and organizations that deal with the poor, hungry and sick. They're not dissing or ignoring those who have very little by going on these vacations. They're vacations may be on the expensive side but it does not mean they don't care about others who are struggling.

I agree, when the news about the earthquake and tsunami in the Solomon Islands, I thought about the Cambridge's tour and I hope The Queen send them a message of their thoughts and prayers.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:25 PM
Aristocracy

If I remember well Charles and Diana took a holiday to the Caribbean when Diana was pregnant with William ( remember the infamous photos of Diana in her pink bikini) and I don't remember any furore at the time so I am not sure why there is one now.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:31 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Didn't they take a vacation for a few days after their Asian tour last fall?
No they didn't go on vacation. William went back to work after the tour.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene View Post
If I remember well Charles and Diana took a holiday to the Caribbean when Diana was pregnant with William ( remember the infamous photos of Diana in her pink bikini) and I don't remember any furore at the time so I am not sure why there is one now.
Diana, my mother tells me, worked hard all the way up to her children's birth and was even photographed sleeping at an event .

She was also a different generation and very young so I think folks "cut her some slack" (and there is no way I am letting my Mom see this last paragraph!)
Old 02-06-2013, 10:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Diana had a difficult time during her pregnacies but she was also The Princess of Wales (fulltime) and she was pushed to do a great deal. While pregnant, Diana often appeared glum and making those public appearences while in those conditions weren't easy for her.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:55 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
Diana, my mother tells me, worked hard all the way up to her children's birth and was even photographed sleeping at an event .

She was also a different generation and very young so I think folks "cut her some slack" (and there is no way I am letting my Mom see this last paragraph!)
The event she fell asleep at was very early in her pregnancy- it's actually what prompted the pregnancy announcement, much like Kate's hospitalization is what prompted hers.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:13 AM
Serene Highness

And also at around the six or seventh month, doctors ordered Diana to take time away and rest. Charles took her to his Property in Cornwall for a few weeks away from all of the media pressure, which is what was part of why the Doctors ordered her to rest.

Okay...We've had postings about entitlement, how "uncaring" the Cambridges are, how lazy they are and now we're at the comparing this to the Diana years. I think this topic has officially been flogged enough IMO. *sarcasm*
Old 02-07-2013, 12:24 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
And also at around the six or seventh month, doctors ordered Diana to take time away and rest. Charles took her to his Property in Cornwall for a few weeks away from all of the media pressure, which is what was part of why the Doctors ordered her to rest.

Okay...We've had postings about entitlement, how "uncaring" the Cambridges are, how lazy they are and now we're at the comparing this to the Diana years. I think this topic has officially been flogged enough IMO. *sarcasm*
I think we still have to go through "the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh were working parents who didn't see their young children often, what can't the Cambridges do the same" comments
Old 02-07-2013, 02:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101
I think that people are just complaining because Catherine does not work as a full-time Royal, nor does she work at any other profession. This then comes across to the public, who are not necessarily huge followers of the Royal family, that she is lazy and does not do anything thus not "earning her money from taxes". I don't AGREE with this fact, but I can see why the public would think she is lazy.
I don't think Kate could still work for jigsaw if she was living in Anglessey. I'm my dream world would Kate have a full time job, yes. I don't know where she could work in Anglessey, perhaps a library or museum. But it's Kate's desire to be a housewife. I tend to assume that these vacations are not for Kate but are for William and as his wife she of course is going as well.
The same people complaining this time will continue to complain their next vacation, ignoring that they are not the only ones on vacation and that William does have a job that he might need some relief from.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Old 02-07-2013, 07:08 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
Diana didn't work hard all the way to her children's births, that's just one of those myths that gets perpetuated. The Court Circular is the official record of all the engagements the royals carry out. So checking the 1981 and early 1982 Court Circular one can see that Diana actually didn't work much more than Kate is currently. Diana married in July, she didn't actually do any engagements until the official trip to Wales Oct 28 to 30th. (Charles meanwhile undertook some official engagements on his own in September.)

She then did intake official engagements in November including the one where photographed she looked asleep. (She was actually looking down in the photo, it's quite a famous one as she's wearing a real 'fairytale princess dress'. Some people interpreted the photo as Diana being bored to tears.)

December she undertook Christmas engagement such as attending carol services. In January she did one engagement (Kate also did one engagement in January) Two in February, then the 16th she and Charles went to Barbados (where the pregnancy photos were taken) until the end of the month.

March she did 5 engagements and then April went on maternity leave.

Diana didn't take on her first official patronage until 1983 (the Junior British Red Cross).

Not a lot of research seems to go on by various people when wanting to be critical of Kate and the amount of engagements she's undertaking. In actual fact it's comparable to Diana's. The then Princess Elizabeth with her first 2 pregnancies did no official engagements, there are no photos of her pregnant. As Queen though with her younger 2 she did.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
Diana didn't work hard all the way to her children's births, that's just one of those myths that gets perpetuated. The Court Circular is the official record of all the engagements the royals carry out. So checking the 1981 and early 1982 Court Circular one can see that Diana actually didn't work much more than Kate is currently. Diana married in July, she didn't actually do any engagements until the official trip to Wales Oct 28 to 30th. (Charles meanwhile undertook some official engagements on his own in September.)

She then did intake official engagements in November including the one where photographed she looked asleep. (She was actually looking down in the photo, it's quite a famous one as she's wearing a real 'fairytale princess dress'. Some people interpreted the photo as Diana being bored to tears.)

December she undertook Christmas engagement such as attending carol services. In January she did one engagement (Kate also did one engagement in January) Two in February, then the 16th she and Charles went to Barbados (where the pregnancy photos were taken) until the end of the month.

Diana didn't take on her first official patronage until 1983 (the Junior British Red Cross).

Not a lot of research seems to go on by various people when wanting to be critical of Kate and the amount of engagements she's undertaking. In actual fact it's comparable to Diana's. The then Princess Elizabeth with her first 2 pregnancies did no official engagements, there are no photos of her pregnant. As Queen though with her younger 2 she did.
Thank you for that info
Old 02-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thank you Charlotte 1 for the facts. I do remember all of Diana's engagements you mention , especially the "princess dress" and did not recall her working too much till after the children were born.
They had a very long honeymoon but had several photocalls
My feeling is that the complaining about Kate is simply the lack of photocalls, the public appetite seems to demand it and keeps the hounds at bay.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Nobility

There were more photos of Diana. She was frequently seen watching Prince Charles play polo. It gives the impression that she was doing more engagements.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Thank you Charlotte 1 for the facts. I do remember all of Diana's engagements you mention , especially the "princess dress" and did not recall her working too much till after the children were born.
They had a very long honeymoon but had several photocalls
My feeling is that the complaining about Kate is simply the lack of photocalls, the public appetite seems to demand it and keeps the hounds at bay.
Then people complain about her being in the news too much. She never wins.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post

Diana was 20 years old, suffering from bulimia, and a not very caring husband! In spite if all this, she DID have a work ethic that started before she married lasted al her life.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Thanks for such an informative post, Charlotte1.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
Diana was 20 years old, suffering from bulimia, and a not very caring husband! In spite if all this, she DID have a work ethic that started before she married lasted al her life.
Diana did what she had to do as Princess of Wales and fulltime royal. Her pregnancies weren't an easy situtation for her though.

Catherine isn't in the same position as Diana was at the time.