The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Courtier

Blah, blah,blah. Some people on this thread should just grow up. A full time military man and his wife are taking a vacation. If your life is so bad that you resent that, then maybe you should go back to school so you can better yourself, then maybe you wouldn't be so negative.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandma828 View Post
Blah, blah,blah. Some people on this thread should just grow up. A full time military man and his wife are taking a vacation. If your life is so bad that you resent that, then maybe you should go back to school so you can better yourself, then maybe you wouldn't be so negative.
It seems to me that it is exactly the "full time military man" part that people resent the most. It appears they would much rather he and his wife were out cutting ribbons, waving fron car windows, reviewing troops, unveiling plaques etc......and most important of all see new clothes on Catherine that can be commented on and dissed.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by julliette View Post
That's what I think too. For me is not so much how many holidays they take, it's the timing of their holidays, the 3 of them had a wrong timing which gives the impression to those that don't follow their activities so much (ie, the majority of people) that they put holidays first, royal work second. While that may not be true, is what it looks like seen from outside, and I think they should pay more attention to it

And yet in August and September when the majority of the royal family are on vacation in Scotland, Will and Kate were at their peak public appearances and visibility. The reality is the William's court calendar is not the same as his father's, nor his grandmother's. First, he factors in his RAF time commitment, then you have the anchors of the Royal Calendar (Trooping, Knight of the Garter, Remebrance Day etc) add to it an Olympic year and a Diamond Jubilee year, throw a royal tour in ... and try to keep a few dates with the in-laws and oh yes his wife is pregnant. Anyone with family commitments knows juggling vacation schedules can be a logistical headache - its no wonder if they get some time, they take a few days here and there. its only going to get more complicated with children - then you have the school calendar to respect.

They went on a vacation - that probably has been planned for months. When Kate got sick in December, they werent sure she would make it - but that time had most likely long since been blocked out on their calendar and he had put in for vacation from the RAF.... she was feeling well, they went. it is a freezing cold Winter in UK and a few days in the sun will be a nice break before they get back to the royal season. Feb - Jun should be very busy for them getting ready for a new baby and moving into a new home and whatever changes come along with William's career.

I hope they enjoy the time.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Majesty

This trip isn't a PR disaster, it's just people online trying to make more of than it really is.

I know a great deal of people were disappointed that the Cambridge's and other members of the royal family missed the memorial service of The Queen Mother & Princess Margaret but their plans were made well in advance and I'm sure The Queen understood it. Sometimes plans clash with others.

The palace isn't lying about Catherine's condition. They have mentioned that she's getting better, working behind the scenes and will resume her official public official engagements. She's not putting her royal role off in any way.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I know a great deal of people were disappointed that the Cambridge's and other members of the royal family missed the memorial service of The Queen Mother & Princess Margaret but their plans were made well in advance and I'm sure The Queen understood it. Sometimes plans clash with others.
I would hope she understood it because it is not as if she hasn't missed a funeral or a memorial service in her lifetime.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I would hope she understood it because it is not as if she hasn't missed a funeral or a memorial service in her lifetime.
I'm also sure their thoughts and prayers were with the family too.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:34 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post

I have no problem with you disagreeing with me, but I think being sarcastic is unhelpful. I am entitled to have my say as well as anyone else.

Re sulking - take a look at the pictures on the day the news broke. National newspapers even commented on it.

When Charles and Andrew were in the military, they did not do part-time royal duties. The defining line was very clear. MAybe that's part of the issue - again, they need to reiterate what the plan is to the public again. positive marketing is about repeat messages.

For those of you who think this is a storm in a teacup - have a look at the Spanish RF threads and the furore over the King taking a holiday during an economic crisis. There has even been debate about him abdicating.

Under normal circs. a holiday doesn't matter but these are difficult times and normal rules do not apply.

I've always been a supporter of both of them, look at previous posts but this holiday is a mistake by them IMO.
1. I'm sorry if I offended.
2. You're faulting William for being publicly upset about a gross breach of privacy against his wife and accusing him of doing nothing but looking unhappy, do I have that correct?
3. SRF and this vacation - apples and oranges. Spain needed to be bailed out by the EU, UK has option to leave the EU because the EU might be dragging the British economy down, and the UK pound is so strong compared with its international brethren, it might as well be renamed the Chuck Norris currency.
3. Agree with you about delineating Williams's RAF duties, but it wouldn't help anyway- people would still criticize them because they are high profile.

I'm starting to think the only prob with this vacation is the timing, but there's very little that WandK could control-it's when her family was going, it's when he has time off, it's before her public duties resume, etc.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:38 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by angieuk View Post
I'm really glad they have gone on holiday. I always knew they were lazy; and any respect I had for them has completely gone now.

I am out of work and living on baked beans and soup and struggling to pay my bills.

This has given me the kick I needed to walk away. I couldn't care less how many engagements she does in February or onwards, it is all a great big public sham! I won't be tuning in to any of it again. Time to get back to the real world and leave these spoilt indulgent people far behind!
In this day and age, the Queen has no subjects and does not govern. And, monarchy is apparently on the decline... I would have thought their priority would be making sure that they are connected with their people and show empathy and understanding. Instead I am seeing more and more people react as Angieuk has because of their inability to monitor their timing and choices. It is devastating to watch the struggles going on at the moment. It is shocking to watch the RF not be sensitive enough to the suffering.

I ask again. Was it necessary to take such a luxurious break? What were they thinking?

Their PR machine must be frustrated, they would know this was going to be an issue. I hope they get huge salaries, they deserve it!!
Old 02-06-2013, 08:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
In this day and age, the Queen has no subjects and does not govern. And, monarchy is apparently on the decline... !
Where did you get the idea that the monarchy is in decline? Support is as high as it always has been. Pretty consistent 75% or more. Most democratic politicians would kill for numbers like that.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:04 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Personal attacks on the opinions of those with whom you disagree, even generalized ones, do not add to the strength of your counterargument. In fact it detracts from it.

Questions about the empathetic role the royal family plays in the lives of its people is not a sign of "resentment." They are legitimate questions of the interplay of government (and yes, the future head of state who performs royal duties is part of the government, or at least part of a hereditary ruling class) and the people it serves.

You advise people with whom you disagree to "grow up." Are questions about class structure and governmental structure NOT within the purview of the wise. What in the arguments about the royal family's role when the lives of the ordinary citizen is strained financial do you find childish?

As for Will's money, yes a working man should be able to take his pregnant wife on vacation. All working men. I highly doubt that Will's coworkers can afford the same vacation for their pregnant wives. Will's money comes from his very privileged status NOT hard work on his part. I don't think anyone is suggesting that Will and Kate have no vacations - what people ARE suggesting is that Will show more empathy and compassion for the British people and NOT flaunt his great wealth and privilege (none of which he earned), but rather show a little gratitude for his position and comfort.

I for one do not resent Will's vacations and status. I live very well, and certainly do not live the life of the average Brit that I am reading about. "Resentment," "envy," "jealously" are very weak arguments when raising questions about economics, government, class structure, and overall equality, or at least just compassion, knowledge and empathy for the people you will one day serve as head of state.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Why is it that whenever someone posts something that is anything other than 100% supportive of William and Kate, they get told to grow up, stop posting, blah blah blah?

While I can't speak for anyone else here who has dared to voice criticism, my life is quite good, thank you. And for the record, I have a Bachelor's degree, a Master's degree, and just finished a certification program as well. I haven't ruled out a PhD, if I can find the time and money, but I fail to see how this might change my opinion of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:17 PM
Aristocracy

The reason that people (including the William and Kate) are not sensitive to other people's suffering is simply the fact that they don't care.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I knew there was something wrong with this conversion, the usual "grow up", "resent", envy" blah blah blah post was missing. here it is
Old 02-06-2013, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Okay folks....lets all go back to our corners for a breather shall we?

Surely its possible to have a civil discussion with people who don't hold the same opinion as you?

Likewise, while we are all here to discuss the Cambridge's Current Events which includes this vacation, let's not assume that we know what they are thinking or that we have the right to speak on their behalf.

So it goes without saying that rude and nasty posts as well as posts that indicate that the poster knows the inner thoughts of William and Catherine will be deleted without notice.

Thank you.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakieanne View Post
The reason that people (including the William and Kate) are not sensitive to other people's suffering is simply the fact that they don't care.

Hmmm they seemed rather sensitive to peoples suffering when they made a point of visiting burned out areas of your province when they were there in 2011 and when they visited areas of the Uk damaged by the riots.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Dang...are the Danish royals getting this much hassle for their current (luxury) vacation?

I was under the impression that the Middletons were paying for this vacation, so William is technically not flaunting anything.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:54 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Hmmm they seemed rather sensitive to peoples suffering when they made a point of visiting burned out areas of your province when they were there in 2011 and when they visited areas of the Uk damaged by the riots.
And visiting the areas affected by Cyclone Yasi in FAQ
Old 02-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
In this day and age, the Queen has no subjects and does not govern. And, monarchy is apparently on the decline... I would have thought their priority would be making sure that they are connected with their people and show empathy and understanding. Instead I am seeing more and more people react as Angieuk has because of their inability to monitor their timing and choices. It is devastating to watch the struggles going on at the moment. It is shocking to watch the RF not be sensitive enough to the suffering.

I ask again. Was it necessary to take such a luxurious break? What were they thinking?

Their PR machine must be frustrated, they would know this was going to be an issue. I hope they get huge salaries, they deserve it!!
Since the monarchy has record support. I think a poll during the Jubilee had it at 80% The highest it had been for a very long time. The average is between 60 to 75% support.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakieanne View Post
I think that's a little harsh. Evidence from those who have met them suggests otherwise. I think this couple has a great deal of compassion, and just because they went on a holiday that the Middleton family takes every year doesn't mean they don't care about others. It's not their fault that there are those who are unemployed or living in poverty. People have to realize that in reality, no one is equal. There will always be someone who is more intelligent, more wealthy, has more opportunities, etc. That's how life works. I know that if I had the kinds of opportunities the Cambridges have in terms of travel and what not, I would take advantage of them at every possible moment. As has been pointed out, they're not full-time royals, so if they want to travel, and holiday in fancy resorts, that's their business. William is far from poor, so he can definitely use some of his inheritance for a trip with his wife and in-laws.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:03 PM
Heir Presumptive

Didn't they take a vacation for a few days after their Asian tour last fall?

Also, FYI, disreputable websites which feature paid advertisements with blogs and social commentary DO have their employees and interns create personas, and then are told to make Iprovoking comments to stir up commentary and interest. My son had that experience.
I certainly would not be surprised if on line tabloids did the same.