The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post

I guess it's a blessing to be a part of the other royal families. They are able to live their lives in a relaxed matter. Do their duties but take a nice vacation without people getting all bent out of shape about it.
The British Royal Family is most famous monarchy in the world, and pretty much everyone on Earth knows who the Queen of the UK is, whereas a lot of the other European royals are not as well known. It's no surprise that the BRF get a lot of press attention and stick for being seen to "not be doing much", and the British press as we all know is a hard thing to contend with. Anyone marrying into the family knows they are marrying into one of the most famous families in the world.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
They are part of the public, not the entire public. And the whining of a few doesn't negate the majority who are content with the way things are.
We are part of the public, we count, we are allowed an opinion. But according to miche the people who write DM comments or who follow royals on this forum aren't part of public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
Thank you again
Yes thank you Xenia for pointing out that we are part of the public, and deserve to be counted unlike your first comment which explained that we apparently don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
Because the other Royals are all goody goody. I have never seen a bad word said about other Royals on this forum only the BRF have I seen such attacks.
You can take one look at any other royal forum and see that when they do controversial things it gets talked about and people agree and disagree. Look at the ongoing Spanish incident, Maxima's controversial father I could go on.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:59 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
I have always liked Kate (and to a degree, William). However, I too think this holiday is a massive mistake on their part...
In the past 12 months they've had 3 vacations. 1 week at a ski resort (after William's six-week stint in the Falklands) 3 days in France, and this trip to Mustique.

Prince Harry, Beatrice and Eugenie have all taken plenty of vacations to exclusive ski-resorts and sun-drenched villas, yet I don't hear complaints about that.

I think calling Kate a "glorified dummy", is pretty harsh. If people see Kate as just a clotheshorse, then that's on them. There has been plenty of information about her charity work, but the media chooses to focus on the superficial. They do the same with other royals. I hear more about their fashion choices, than I do about any charity work.

I've never gotten the idea that William resents his position. I think he and Harry have disdain for the media (Harry recently made his feelings known), but I don't sense any resentment for their position. Doubts, maybe. But I don't know any person that doesn't have doubts about their future.

People keeep clamoring for William to quit the RAF and take on full-time royal duties, without realizing that he and Harry think of their military careers as public duty. In his recent interview, Harry said that he and William believe their miltary careers are a service to their country and their public duties. So while people think these two men are shrinking their responsibilities, they think they're serving the public.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
In the past 12 months they've had 3 vacations. 1 week at a ski resort (after William's six-week stint in the Falklands) 3 days in France, and this trip to Mustique.
Does that not include Mustique last year which was around a year ago? France was longer than 3 days was it not?
Old 02-06-2013, 02:20 PM

No I didn't include Mustique because that vacation was in January. I started my count from February of 2012. If I start in January, then we'd have to exclude this current Mustique trip.

Nope their trip to France was only 3 days. That's why everyone assumed that they went in between one of William's RAF shifts.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Heir Apparent

I have never believed that Catherine is the issue, it is all about William. He, as many have said, is enjoying the perks and not doing the royal work. I think Artemesia's post explained that very well.

but it seems that he only wants Catherine to work along side him. She absolutely blossomed when he was in the Falklands and then he comes home and she does nothing by way of royal duties.

I believe her illness was genuine because he is currently working in Wales and she is in London. That wouldn't happen if she had been well. away from him, she is beginning to book engagements. He is staying in Wales because he wants to improve his flying hours, an indication that he is staying in the RAF, not turning to full time royal

when the French pictures materialised during the tour, it was Catherine that handled the situation, William sulked.

She is doing her best but loves and supports William. He needs to learn that the nonsense of wanting to be normal is just that - nonsense. And he needs to pay attention to public opinion, and the Queen and Prince Charles need to sort him out. Basically he's spoilt.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 02-06-2013, 02:46 PM
Aristocracy

I agree with Cepe and her post. I have never believed that Catherine is the problem at all. I think she wants to do more but is held back by William. She could handle being a full-time royal and out and about I think she has a strong personality when it comes to the media.

I also agree she is doing her best, loves and supports William but she has been coming off as lazy for over 10 years because of it and I for one would be tired of it. I don't think Catherine is lazy in the least, I think William overprotects her from the media etc and it is her downfall.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:47 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
I have never believed that Catherine is the issue, it is all about William...
I have never thought about it that, very interesting analysis! Thank you.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
but it seems that he only wants Catherine to work along side him. She absolutely blossomed when he was in the Falklands and then he comes home and she does nothing by way of royal duties.
Her engagements didn't stop after his return from the Falklands. My numbers may be off, but since his return, she's done like 11 or 12 engagements by herself. Not to mention the joint engagements, Jubilee celebrations, the tour and the Olympics stuff. So saying she's done nothing since his return is not true.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Her engagements didn't stop after his return from the Falklands. My numbers may be off, but since his return, she's done like 11 or 12 engagements by herself. Not to mention the joint engagements, Jubilee celebrations, the tour and the Olympics stuff. So saying she's done nothing since his return is not true.
Fair enough. In my defence I was not including the joint jubilee/olympic stuff because all the family had to up their duties in a unique situation. I still don't believe that it will continue now that the Jubilee/olympic celebrations are over (though I would like to be proved wrong).

Old 02-06-2013, 03:22 PM
Majesty

I really do believe TRH's will become fulltime royals in the near future.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Personally I think people are getting themselves all worked up about something very minor. Take a deep breath and count to ten, roll your shoulders and relax a bit. The Cambridges are on vacation with the Middletons in Mustique.....not exactly something that will raise questions in the House of Commons.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:36 PM
Royal Highness

Marvelous post, Cepe! Entirely plausible.

I think it very natural that Will would have tremendous fear of his wife becoming what his mother was, and therefore wants her out of the limelight.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:37 PM
Courtier

People are treating this like a major scandal.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. In my defence I was not including the joint jubilee/olympic stuff because all the family had to up their duties in a unique situation. I still don't believe that it will continue now that the Jubilee/olympic celebrations are over (though I would like to be proved wrong).
I gotcha. I think because of her part-time status, people sometimes overlook the fact that Kate does work. Unfortunately for her though, she is being compared to the other members of the BRF and I think it sometimes does her a disservice.

I really haven't seen anything to suggest that she won't keep up her work schedule. I think as long as she and the baby are healthy, she'll continue doing a few engagements every month.

I agree, Dman. It's looking more and more likely that they will become full-time royals. And if they don't go full-time, then I can see them stepping up the number of monthly engagements they do.

So true, royalistbert and Nglalitzine.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:43 PM
Nobility

Saw a photo of Kate and William boarding a plane and still no baby bump!
Old 02-06-2013, 03:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatharine View Post
Don't worry. If those paps don't get that bikini shot, their editors will make them swim home.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCatharine View Post
Those photos are from their trip last year.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Nobility

I think this whole conversation is ridiculous. The majority of people could care less that they are on vacation. As said this seems to be a tradition with Kate's family. She will be doing engagements soon and has been working. This is not some scandalous situation. I think we all just need to calm down.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Heir Apparent

I think that ignoring public opinion would be a mistake. You're all followers of royalty so you know that it takes a nano-second for an small issue to take on global status.

I can remember what happened the last time the BRF ignored public opinion.

I think that when the Cambridges finally make public their plans, they need to be very explicit about the detail. If William is staying in the RAF (probably in Suffolk) then an explanation of shifts/working patterns; His level of royal duties; her level of royal duties; how they are funded and that should include security. It needs to be spelt out. I think an interview with William but I somehow doubt that would happen.

We aren't getting overexcited about this - we are seeing the gradual erosion of popularity of this couple and that is serious. It is particularly unfair on Catherine, IMO.

Closed Thread