The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 04:50 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I've always felt that Williams focus is on the military and Kate's on being a military wife. That is their #1 priority.
That's fine, but how many of William's fellow pilots and their wives take holidays to Mystique, where they stay in villas costing six figures?

William and Kate don't seem to have any problem taking advantage of the "perks" of royalty, so they need to accept the responsibilities as well.

Like it or not, image is important for royals nowadays, and William and Kate need to be careful with theirs.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

How do you know who is paying for their villa? For all you know the Middleton's can be paying for it and the Middleton's are rich. These holidays have been going on before they got married and no one knows who is picking up the bill; Kate has been enjoying the perks of being rich since she was a preteen and before she met William, doesn't seem she is doing anything different than she has done for years.

Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 02-06-2013, 05:45 AM
Courtier

I'm really glad they have gone on holiday. I always knew they were lazy; and any respect I had for them has completely gone now.

I am out of work and living on baked beans and soup and struggling to pay my bills.

This has given me the kick I needed to walk away. I couldn't care less how many engagements she does in February or onwards, it is all a great big public sham! I won't be tuning in to any of it again. Time to get back to the real world and leave these spoilt indulgent people far behind!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:10 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I have always liked Kate (and to a degree, William). However, I too think this holiday is a massive mistake on their part.

You see, "ordinary" people can take holidays as often as they want; they are really no rules about that. But ordinary people earn their money. Or, as is increasingly the case, spend the money their parents or grandparents had earned. William and Kate are not ordinary people - they are representatives of their country. Everything William has is because of his position and yet he behaves as the proverbial man who has the cake and wants to eat it too. How many holidays have they had in the past 12 months? I'm prepared to bet far more than average people and in far more exclusive location. In times when their country is struggling, when people fight hard to go by, it's simply inexcusable.

Yes, I know Kate is pregnant. I know they are not full-time working royals yet. And you know what? That doesn't mean anything. If they chose to have a rest somewhere within the United Kingdom I doubt anyone would have said anything. In fact, what with Kate's schedule you could say they have been on an extended vacation already. But leaving for a location where renting a villa costs as much as some of their people's yearly income is being incredibly out of touch with realities.

Back in summer, when infamous pictures of the Duchess were taken, they (and the furore around them) distracted from another fact: St James Palace had said that their non-appearance at the Paralympics was because they were "preparing" for their foreign tour when they actually taking another holiday.

I am not British but I'll tell you this: I wouldn't have wanted these two to be my future King and Queen. William appears to resent his position and seems to think that while he is entitled to all the perks that come with it, no one dares to inflict any inconveniences upon him. Kate has to date been just a glorified dummy famous for her sartorial choices-only. The press gets criticised for reporting in details her cloths but really, what else is there to report? Newsflash: if they want to be just an ordinary couple, William can relinquish his rights and become just a plain non-royal Duke of Cambridge.

My apologies if this sounded like rant. It probably is one. But while I am a monarchist, an Anglophile and Kate-supporter, I am tired of making excuses all the time.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Well they ussualy go on holidays first beach and then snow...this time Catherine is not going to ski...that is not new..they won't do different because of financial stress...they are Royals... they live a different life from us, they do what they want, they have financial power, they wear clothes beyond our financial possibilities...and that is why we like them...because they are different, because they have power, it was always like this and nothing is going to change...have we ever heard of a royal that didn't go on vacation because of the financial stress or because of some situation their country is living????...Never..and we cannot suppose to hear that for has long hAs we live, Royals are Royals and they will always be! They pretend to care for everyone but that is just their job, inside they are real people who are going to live their luxurious lifes the best they can, always!!!
Old 02-06-2013, 07:36 AM
Aristocracy

i dont understand why people get so upset they take a vacation, i know plenty of people who work part time, full time, stay at home moms, and retired people who take trips and travel on vacation. i guess i didnt realize there was a criteria that needed follow in order to take a trip.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

How many of those people are representatives and future King and Queen of their countries?
William and Kate are not a normal couple. There are perks they have none of us can ever dream of, then again there are also responsibilities and disadvantages.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:58 AM
Royal Highness

I can't get angry about this. I'm not disagreeing this holiday could be interpreted as showing insensitivity to the public mood, but there's also an expectation that royals lead different lives to us, which is partly why we are so interested. If Kate had not had to cancel a couple of engagements owing to her sickness, I don't think there would have been so much fuss. The Press want constant news/pics to satisfy their readers. If Kate is able to resume engagements shortly, all will be forgiven. I hope they have a good holiday.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:29 AM
Royal Highness

A brilliant post, Artemisia, and I completely agree.
They are not ordinary, and it was wrong of his mother to give him that idea.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Please note that while positive and negative posts regarding the Cambridge vacation are welcome WE WILL NOT speculate on what William thinks about his position.

If you would like to discuss whether or not William is suitable to be King, please do so here
Prince William's Suitability to be King.

Any and all additional speculative posts will be deleted without notice.

Zonk

Old 02-06-2013, 09:26 AM
Courtier

Quote:
How do you know who is paying for their villa? For all you know the Middleton's can be paying for it and the Middleton's are rich. These holidays have been going on before they got married and no one knows who is picking up the bill; Kate has been enjoying the perks of being rich since she was a preteen and before she met William, doesn't seem she is doing anything different than she has done for years.
Well said, XeniaCasaraghi
Old 02-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Kate is no longer just another very wealthy private citizen. She has chosen to marry the future head of state of Great Britain and become a member of the royal family. The BRF has always been known for their lifetime of service and devotion to duty. This is what has given them their popularity. As the future head of state and his wife, their actions must indicate empathy for the people they are committed to serve. If people in Britain are squeezed to the limit economically, it is a bit of a slap in the face to go on this holiday, no matter WHO is paying for it.

At some point, all of these little PR notices of Will working alongside other RAF members, of Kate shopping for their food at the local market, of their having no servants, of the charming little cottage - rather than endearing to the public, becomes a charade. It is a slap in the face to suggest Will and Kate are like everyone else. Um, no, no they're not. They will never lose their jobs, they will never stretch the food and utilities budget and their holidays cost more than the average person's annual existence.

It does not matter that she is not yet Queen or Crown Princess - she will be. Do you really think that by the time she is CP or Queen she will be giving up these trips no matter what the condition of her husband's subjects?

I can't imagine the Queen going on such a holiday during some of the many recessions that has hit Britain. She would not be seen doing so.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Courtier

Quote:
I have seen people, not on this board, who act like Williams's work as a pilot is just him playing soldier and skirting his "real job". Someone even said he was using it to hide from his real duty. It is so irritating when people comment that being a rescue pilot isn't a legitimate job and he should be a full time royal so he can sit on his butt all day and wait for his grandma and father to die.
Well said, you put that in better terms than what I was trying to say yesterday
Quote:
They are part of the public, not the entire public. And the whining of a few doesn't negate the majority who are content with the way things are.
Thank you again
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly C View Post
... If Kate had not had to cancel a couple of engagements owing to her sickness, I don't think there would have been so much fuss...
Even if she didn't have to cancel her engagements back in December because of her HG, there would still have been this much fuss. You just have to go back to last year when the Middleton took this annual trip they do to celebrate Carole's Birthday
Old 02-06-2013, 09:36 AM
Courtier

A holiday you thought they committed a crime or something.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:51 AM
Majesty

There is always a fuss when the Cambridges get away for awhile. All European royals take a little break when they can. I really don't see much complaints about it but when the British royals take a little break, there's a problem. I'll never fully understand it.

I just hope they have a good time and have a safe trip back home.
Old 02-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Courtier

Because the other Royals are all goody goody. I have never seen a bad word said about other Royals on this forum only the BRF have I seen such attacks.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Heir Presumptive

Here's my take on some of the comments I've read (my opinion only).
I wonder if some are not upset about this trip because they are not "working" royals. Working in the sense that The Queen, Prince Phillip, Charles, Anne etc are. I know that he has a job with the RAF. There are other Eurpoean royals that work (are seen working) much more often than the Cambridges, therefore they are not judged when they take a vacation. For example, no one would judge WA and Maxima for taking their yearly break in Lech (which is coming up), why because we see them working quite a lot between these breaks. So when we don't see the Cambridges, we are assuming that they are not working, and therefore are in no need of a "break".
These are only my humble thoughts. Don't be too harsh on me!
PS. I love Katherine & William, and want to see them become working royals sooner rather than later and am excited to watch their family grow.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Courtier

You would thought they killed an Elephant on a hunting trip from the reaction on this forum.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

I'm not saying it's true but I would trust a newspaper (even Sun) over a tweet any day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalistbert View Post
Pregnant woman with HG jetting off is not a wise thing so I doubt it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Whilst I agree nobody needs to 'deserve' a holiday, this couple haven't earnt it at all. William and Catherine clearly have no idea about public perception.
I think I will disagree with you. William has a full time job, its also said that he does work long hours and also does night duty. Must be tiring and I also guess anyone who actually works would agree. As for Catherine, yes she doesn't have a full time job so one would think she doesn't earn a vacation but many housewives, part time working women do travel with their husbands, do go on holidays.

Whether they deserve it or not, if there is a holiday opportunity, then why not take it. If they are paying, then why should we judge what they do.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess gertrude View Post
Here's my take on some of the comments I've read (my opinion only)...
I do understand what you are saying. The thing is the Cambridge's have been busy working as royals. They accompanied The Queen on her Diamond Jubilee visits around Britain, they supported and participated in the London Olympic/Paralympics, and they embarked on their busy Diamond Jubilee Tour. They also have been active and supportive of their charities.

So it seems to me that despite their hard work as members of the royal family, people still complain and make a big deal about their vacations. It's all about who's paying for the vacation? and why they are going on a expensive vacation when there are people in their country who aren't doing all that well. You never see this same amount of fuss with the other European royals, who also take rather expensive vacations.

I guess it's a blessing to be a part of the other royal families. They are able to live their lives in a relaxed matter. Do their duties but take a nice vacation without people getting all bent out of shape about it.