The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 06:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I wonder if there were the same kind of complaints when Elizabeth, the heiress presumptive, went off to live in Malta with the Duke of Edinburgh or when Katherine went off to live in Hong Kong with the Duke of Kent.
This point is overlooked by so many people. The then Princess Elizabeth and her husband undertook very few public duties in the first 2-3 years of their marriage. Not only that, they lived abroad for large chunks of that time. We must also remember that George VI was seriously unwell during this time and Elizabeth was not the heir to the heir as William is, but next in line.

The Queen and DoE were given what William and Kate have been given - a few years to enjoy being married to one another before they step into the glare of public scrutiny which will follow them to their graves. Clarence House and BP were open and honest about the fact that Will and Kate would not be full-time working royals for at least the first few years. We have plenty of working royals as it is.

This Mustique trip seems to be an important Middleton family tradition when the whole family gets together. Good luck to them.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Nobility

QE2 should have worked something out with VL to keep the villa as a little beach hut. Would work out for Wills now.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

BTW it was 31 years ago, not 20, that Diana was photographed pregnant in her bikini. I think it was in the Bahamas.
I hope W&K have learned their long lens lesson.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Heir Apparent

I fail to understand why my last post was deleted(as I said I was not speculating) but anyways not the point. Many people have been wondering what type of behind the scenes work could Wills and Kate be doing in there down time well here's one example from Hello Magazine
http://i47.tinypic.com/10htze1.png
Old 02-05-2013, 06:56 PM
Royal Highness

i know this is a silly question. but is there any chance, even if so tiny, that W&C might attend WA and Maxima's investure as King and Queen in April?
i know that its usual that only the heirs are to be present that day, so its highly possible that Prince Charles will go...but since he was at Queen Beatrix investure in 1980, maybe he would let his son and daughter-in-law go in his stead this time? could it be possible to happen?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Heir Apparent

I suppose anything is possible if not necessarily probable. Catherine would be 6-7 months pregnant by April 30th.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Serene Highness - Picture of the Month Representative - Britain

It would be nice to see them there, but I don't believe they'll attend. It will more than likely be Prince Charles and the Duchess or Cornwall or the Wessex's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COESpiral View Post
Wouldn't it make more sense for a person who is responsible for operating some rather large machinery with very sensitive equipment to rescue individuals in danger (sometimes in inclement weather) to be well rested and have a positive attitude?

I'm of the opinion that more military people (in any country) should have more time off. Perhaps the rather frightening rise in suicides and post-traumatic stress disorders would be turned around if soldiers got more rest. Just saying.
I agree.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
I fail to understand why my last post was deleted(as I said I was not speculating) but anyways not the point. Many people have been wondering what type of behind the scenes work could Wills and Kate be doing in there down time well here's one example from Hello Magazine
Thank you for posting this link. It does go into detail of what Kate has done behind the scenes keeping up with her charities and the people that she has met. This goes to prove that its an ongoing thing and not just a publicity walk the red carpet photo op grand affair where a royal shows up and smiles.

I think we all have to realize that when royals take on patronages and charities that there is actual work involved that is ongoing between them constantly and its not a flash in the pan public occasion for us to gawk, stare and muse about the current fashion trends nor is it geared for the media to sell papers. Kate is genuinely involved and concerned about her patronages and we, as the public, only get to see a small percentage of what really goes on.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by julliette View Post
^^ I agree, Gracie Giraffe. Mee too!

That's why I think that If it's true that Kate works that much in the backstage, something is wrong with her communication/RP team.
Even if she works a lot, if we don't see , there's no way we can check if she's really working or not, so one starts to doubt it a bit. That's why I think she shoud appear more often with her charities. Working with your charities is important, but letting the public know you're working is equally important in her case, IMO. And she's failing to communicate it
Has anyone wondered if there is something wrong with Kate? SURELY they DO know that this would be a PR nightmare!? What if her adjusting to life in the RF is not going as well as we think? Perhaps she has been having anxiety issues? I know I probably would have. Consequently she may be having to take more and more time off, and time away to cope?

I cannot believe they are not aware of what the public think. I also don't believe the PR machine is not working overtime to try and explain the holiday, etc. Either they really don't care what we think or there is something going on...
Old 02-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Administrator

We are NOT going to speculate if the Cambridges will attend the events in the Netherlands (BP will announce the BRF representation in due time) or if something is wrong with Catherine.

Any and all questions, should be directed to a member of the moderation team via PM.

Any and all speculative posts will be deleted without notice.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Majesty

The palace never really explain the royals private holidays. They feel that it's part of their private life and they don't need to comment on it.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:41 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
I cannot believe they are not aware of what the public think. I also don't believe the PR machine is not working overtime to try and explain the holiday, etc. Either they really don't care what we think or there is something going on...
There's no need for any PR team to explain away anything the royal couple does in their own private time. To be honest, its none of our business what they do in their down time but for some perverse reason, the public seems to believe it is. Their PR team works to enhance their public lives and appearances

Another factor with this holiday is that I'm sure that Kate has been cleared by her doctor to travel. Personally I'm glad to know that she's feeling quite better and the worse of the HG has hopefully passed. I also expect Will and Kate to be making this trip yearly to Mustique with Kate's family. It seems to be becoming a family tradition just as Christmas at Sandringham is a tradition in the Windsor family.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
There's no need for any PR team to explain away anything the royal couple does in their own private time. To be honest, its none of our business what they do in their down time but for some perverse reason, the public seems to believe it is. Their PR team works to enhance their public lives and appearances

From some of the various internet commentary I am seeing about Will and Kate, and about Britain in general, with Britain in such dire economic times, the social contract between monarchy and public appears to be changing. It is not enough to be royal and bear children. The public now seems to expect something from every royal in exchange for the privilege of never having to worry about your job or where your next meal is coming from.

I am not saying this is right or wrong. I'm saying this objectively. Expectations are changing. The last vestiges of Divine Right are dead. From now on those in such exalted positions are going to be expected to show an empathy with the people. This is how I see things going.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_night554 View Post
Thanks for posting, I missed this article earlier.

It's lovely to see that William and Kate keep in touch with the people they meet. It really shows they care.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:40 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post

From some of the various internet commentary I am seeing about Will and Kate, and about Britain in general, with Britain in such dire economic times, the social contract between monarchy and public appears to be changing. It is not enough to be royal and bear children. The public now seems to expect something from every royal in exchange for the privilege of never having to worry about your job or where your next meal is coming from.

I am not saying this is right or wrong. I'm saying this objectively. Expectations are changing. The last vestiges of Divine Right are dead. From now on those in such exalted positions are going to be expected to show an empathy with the people. This is how I see things going.
I understand that point of view too. I think the Cambridges are trying to balance out their fulltime military life and their part-time royal life. William has mentioned that it's getting harder for them to do and I do think they will become fulltime royals soon.

The thing is they do their part though. They not only visited their charities but they accompanied The Queen on her Diamond Jubilee visit's around the country, they supported and participated in the London Olympics and Paralympics events and they embarked on their official Diamond Jubliee Tour. The Cambridges are doing their part but the complaints keep coming.

I too would like to see them doing more but I do realize that I have to be a little patient and wait for their official engagements to start up. I also understand that Catherine is pregnant. Every woman's pregnancy is different and she will have her good days and her bad days. So her public engagements may be a little spaced out. The palace has said that she is getting better and working behind the scenes.

I really don't think there's a pretty big public outcry for the Cambridges to make more appearences at this very minute. At least I haven't seen it in the news but I think they (the people) are happy to come out and see the young royal couple when they are out and about on their official engagements. I also think they appreciate the royals efforts in trying to raise awareness for worthy causes and using their royal platform to make a difference in peoples lives.

I just think there are some people on the internet who are growing impatient and making it seem like William & Catherine don't care about their charities and royal duty, when none of that is true.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:50 PM

The problem is that there will always be complaints. When they were doing engagements last year, people complained that they weren't doing the right type of engagements. Then during the Jubilee tour, there were complaints that they were getting too much attention and stealing the limelight from the other members of the BRF. During the Olympics, people complained that they were tired of seeing them and didn't think their involvment should count as official engagements.

Realistically they're not going to be able to please everyone and their best bet is to follow the advice of the Queen. She's obviously fine with the way things are progressing, and I'm sure she'll make it known when she feels they need to start full-time duties.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:55 PM
Majesty

The palace has stated that The Duchess of Cambridge will return to royal duties. So she will carry out some official engagements during her pregnancy. We have to keep in mind that she have Hyperemesis gravidarum and although they have said that she's feeling better, I'm sure Catherine will follow her doctors advice. If she have to rest for a period of time and take it easy, that's what she will do. I don't think it's fair to her or the baby for people to use her sickness to say she's lazy and don't care about her royal life. I think that's totally unfair to her.

Also, those royal ladies that I mentioned above are fulltime royals, so obviously they're schedules are a bit different from Catherine's.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:56 PM
Courtier

Wow, there are a lot of vicious comments posted after media articles regarding their current holiday. This is going to be a big problem for them.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanAUSSIE View Post
Wow, there are a lot of vicious comments posted after media articles regarding their current holiday. This is going to be a big problem for them.
Some of those comments are always negative. Even when the royal couple are out on their official engagements. It's pretty much the same folks commenting over and over again and I have learned to ignore those comments.

Also, the DM knows how to drum up comments like that.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Perhaps those comments also stem back to GracieGiraffe's remark about the public expectations of royalty today.