The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 02:45 PM
Majesty

Very interesting article and I'm glad the Cambridges and their team didn't ban the pictures. Seems like the press was just being careful.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:48 PM
Courtier

That article is very threatening tone.

Old 12-31-2012, 02:49 PM
Serene Highness

From the article
Quote:
The short answer is that my own newspaper and others (but not all media organisations) decided not to print them because St James's Palace had sent out a short note announcing that Prince William and his pregnant wife would be spending Christmas Day with the Middleton family and asking that their privacy be respected.
Newspaper editors interpreted that note, which insisted there would be no photo opportunity of the couple, to mean they felt they had a right to privacy even when they were attending church.
In fact, a St James's Palace spokesman told me today: "We never banned those photographs at all. In fact, those media organisations who bothered to ask us were told it was entirely up to them whether they published."
Pretty straightforward
I don't understand why newspapers, which are entirely free to publish anything they want make a conscious editorial decision not to publish photos and then afterwards complain about it.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:02 PM
Majesty

I don't know, I guess when the press have to walk on egg shells with the royal family, it kinda puts them on edge. I personally saw nothing wrong with the media publishing the pictures and it was nice to see the future King & Queen going to church on Christmas Day.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:06 PM
Serene Highness

But at the end of the day, the editors at the Express and many other papers decided not to publish the photos. Richard Palmer does not agree with the decision and thats fine.
But Mr Palmer should write a blog blasting his editors for the decision, and not try to turn it around on the Royals.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:29 PM
Majesty

Well, it seems like it's a tricky situation.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:38 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkittybaby View Post
I had HG when I was pregnant and as a result I didn't have a "proper" baby bump until the second trimester. It doen's mean anything is wrong with the baby as I ended up giving birth to healthy daughters
I remember I dreamed with food, particularly chocolate cake and watermelon (don't ask me why) and when I smelled the food I was sick...

I do think she's feeling better too although she still looks to thin
I have a friend who is 7 months pregnant and she still doesn't have a proper baby bump.
Old 12-31-2012, 04:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Nor did I. I had to tell people I was pregnant at 32 weeks (tall and thin like Kate). At that point, I stood down from riding and it basically popped over night
Old 12-31-2012, 06:47 PM
Heir Apparent

My mom had no bump what's so ever when she was pregnant with me till around 6 months. She said one day she just woke up and there it was. It was never a gradual thing it just popped.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:18 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
But at the end of the day, the editors at the Express and many other papers decided not to publish the photos. Richard Palmer does not agree with the decision and thats fine.
But Mr Palmer should write a blog blasting his editors for the decision, and not try to turn it around on the Royals.
I had to laugh at this bit..."In the current climate, after the Leveson Inquiry into phone hacking and other alleged misdemeanours by sections of the British press, newspaper proprietors and editors are extremely reluctant to get into a high-profile dispute with the Royal Family."

As if the press from owners and editors on down had not treated public figures as objects to be sought and destroyed (because smears sell far better than positive press) by illegal means (misdemeanours or not). The press knows they have eaten their own young by stepping illegally over the privacy line - and now they have to pay the piper to recover the public's approval. It has so little to do with Royalty - this just makes me angry to see this kind of obfuscation.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:33 PM
Serene Highness

^^^^ Many members of the press have gone to jail in Britain over their criminal activities. The press was given many opportunities to shape up but they didn't and the general public no longer trust the British press.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIIR View Post
Sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to say that the 'Mini Cheddars' that Kate was buying are little crackers with a cheddar cheese flavouring. The crackers are small, about the size of a US quarter or 10p piece in the UK. They're very moreish, and it can be difficult to stop eating them when you start a packet.

Exactly what someone with nausea would be advised to eat. You can see them here:

Mini Cheddars. | Contains Scenes Of Mild Peril.
Oh...So they're the British version of Goldfish Crackers then? Because that description more than fits me and my addic...I mean...great love of (Yeah, that sounds better) Goldfish Crackers.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersk8 View Post
Oh...So they're the British version of Goldfish Crackers then? Because that description more than fits me and my addic...I mean...great love of (Yeah, that sounds better) Goldfish Crackers.

Or Cheeze-Its (Cheez-It® Baked Snack Crackers) and Goldfish cheddar can be found here: Pepperidge Farm® - Goldfish® Crackers in Cartons.

For whatever reason, they tend to make our cheddar junk food very radioactive ORANGE in the US. The color sticks to your fingers.

Anyway - good for the Duchess to have found her food that does not return.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:54 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post

I had to laugh at this bit..."In the current climate, after the Leveson Inquiry into phone hacking and other alleged misdemeanours by sections of the British press, newspaper proprietors and editors are extremely reluctant to get into a high-profile dispute with the Royal Family."

As if the press from owners and editors on down had not treated public figures as objects to be sought and destroyed (because smears sell far better than positive press) by illegal means (misdemeanours or not). The press knows they have eaten their own young by stepping illegally over the privacy line - and now they have to pay the piper to recover the public's approval. It has so little to do with Royalty - this just makes me angry to see this kind of obfuscation.
Agreed! Very astute analysis; Britain is going thru a lot of press stuff that has very little to do with the BRF.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:57 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Of course the palace didnt ban the pictures because there is no basis on what they would have been able to do so. The pictures are not illegal so its pointless to go for a ban. As a consequence, they do it through the backdoor, asking for privacy meaning its a nicely wrapped up warning. I am sure those newsoutlets in Britain who wouldn't comply wouldn't be forgotten by the palace when it comes to special occasions and special favours which would be given to those who did comply in the first place and not those who did not.

There will come the time when William wont be protected by Clarence House and the eternal respect his granny commands when it comes to handling the media and this nicely enforced deal-making will its boundaries.
Old 01-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post

Of course the palace didnt ban the pictures because there is no basis on what they would have been able to do so. The pictures are not illegal so its pointless to go for a ban. As a consequence, they do it through the backdoor, asking for privacy meaning its a nicely wrapped up warning. I am sure those newsoutlets in Britain who wouldn't comply wouldn't be forgotten by the palace when it comes to special occasions and special favours which would be given to those who did comply in the first place and not those who did not.

There will come the time when William wont be protected by Clarence House and the eternal respect his granny commands when it comes to handling the media and this nicely enforced deal-making will its boundaries.
The problem with your reasoning is that the relationship between palace and press is a symbiotic one, and, at least for now, the press's does not have the best rep in the UK. Make no mistake, the press want to be on the good side of the palace, and the palace wants to be on the good side of the press.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by casualfan View Post
The problem with your reasoning is that the relationship between palace and press is a symbiotic one, and, at least for now, the press's does not have the best rep in the UK. Make no mistake, the press want to be on the good side of the palace, and the palace wants to be on the good side of the press.
This is exactly why we've been seeing William taking a stand on what he'll allow or not allow and what displeases him even to the point of getting the legal eagles on the attack after the invasion of privacy in France. The more he draws his line in the sand now, the more the press realizes that in the future, to have a good working relationship with the Cambridges, they're going to have to heed his wishes.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:16 PM
Majesty

True, the Cambridges won't take the media abuse and they are making sure the media knows that crossing the line just won't do. Now that they are establishing a family for themselves and their main residence is Kensington Palace, I really don't blame them.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:24 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post

You're exactly right, the requests for privacy DO carry nicely wrapped warnings, or at least implicit reminders that the royal family is not without options, rights and power when it comes to dealing with the press. I also have very little doubt that this warning has been made explicit in private meetings between members of the press and people representing the Cambridges. The British press is also aware that it has shot itself in its collective foot and its position going forward - both in relation to the BRF and in general - is going to be weak compared to its glory days of the 80s, 90s and early 2000s.

The ball is in the media's court now. If they continue to keep themselves under control for the most part then they will have a civil and profitable relationship with the Cambridges and their team. If they can't do that then, IMO, the Cambridges are signalling their willingness to do things the hard way.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

All the old assumptions about the relationship between the royals and the press are now null and void. With the rampant law-breaking of the press over recent years, the media landscape in the UK is utterly changed. Even the BBC, whom we used to trust so much that it was nicknamed 'Auntie', has been fundamentally weakened in terms of public perception due to recent revelations.

The monarchy has probably not been in such a strong position in many decades. Over recent years in the UK we've seen almost all our public institutions revealed to be corrupt, totally untrustworthy, or involved in illegal activity on an almost endemic basis. Politicians, police, the press, churches, the list goes on and on. The only institution to have actually improved its position in the eyes of the public in that time? The royal family.

The royals have an opportunity to shape their relationship with the press that's unlikely to come around again too soon. It seems William is taking the bull by the horns.