The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Serene Highness

What makes attending church on Christmas Day any different from grocery shopping on Sunday afternoon?

The press agreed a long time ago to give W&C space when on private time. Christmas Day was private time, they weren't carrying out public duties and told the press in advance.

Again, using the press' own standard of leaving W&C alone on their private time, what makes Christmas Day different?

Old 12-26-2012, 11:33 AM
Courtier

[QUOTE=agami.pearl;1498061]Church is public place ... QUOTE]

Is it? On the official website it says: Although situated within Englefield Estate it is a public place of worship.

Found here:
Englefield: St Mark, Englefield - Berkshire | Diocese of Oxford

IMHO even though it is a public place of worship, it comes with the restrictions that it is otherwise located on a private property. Which means no pictures.

On a sidenote: I found it interesting that the security officers obviously helped the photographer by moving their car(s). Has someone forgotten to inform them about the no-picture-policy? I only hope that these officers won't be reprimanded for their behaviour.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

I can understand the family's desire to be out of the public eye (via press coverage). When Harry and William were small, Diana and Charles had cut a deal with the press that kept the boys form being hounded - and let them have slightly more normal childhoods.
The intent with Catherine is probably much the same. She is pregnant for the first time, has had to be hospitalized in her first trimester, is carrying the third in line to the throne and I am sure she is feeling a lot of pressure, illness and not some small degree of fear about things. Beyond that, I would not want photogs hovering and waiting to capture the moment when I was violently taken with nausea, while in public. Because we all know that that is the picture they all want to get.
That said, the DM opinion piece is correct, that in this age of cell phones with cameras and social media, that it makes little difference if the press is not there - in public spaces SOMEONE will catch the opportunity, take pics and post them to Twitter, Facebook or wherever.
So I completely understand the DM's frustration at the naive view that stopping the press will stop the pictures.
And I can't believe that I am agreeing with the DM - because, it is the DM.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:46 AM
Serene Highness

Its not about stopping all pictures. Its about having boundaries. Does the press publish photos of Prime Minister Cameron and his wife leaving church on Christmas Day? No, because there was no public interest and even though the PM is a public figure, he also deserves privacy.

If people want the royals to turn into a reality show, then that's what they'll get but I hope the Cambridges release just 1 photo of their baby and no official photo ops until the princess/ss is 18 years old.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:51 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

If they're out in public, they will be photographed, I think they're fair game. Behind the walls of a home, of a holiday place etc, they can have their privacy.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:56 AM
Serene Highness

If the Daily Mail thinks it has the moral high ground, then don't take down the photos, pretty simple.

If the press believes its their constitutional right to photograph members of the Royal Family any time it wants except behind close doors, then do it but don't take down the photos and then complain about it.

Britain has a free press and the royals don't control it but obviously the DM knew it broke its own agreement and took down the photos
Old 12-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
If they're out in public, they will be photographed, I think they're fair game. Behind the walls of a home, of a holiday place etc, they can have their privacy.

I agree.
Otherwise, what happens is that the reporters who are respectful and do as they're asked will lose out to the ones who ignore any and all requests for privacy.

The RF is aware of this, and making a deal with the media is probably the best way to go.

The next time the papers are asked to refrain from publishing any photos, they'll probably ignore the request and go right ahead, knowing that others are going to publish no matter what.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:11 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avicenna View Post

On a sidenote: I found it interesting that the security officers obviously helped the photographer by moving their car(s). Has someone forgotten to inform them about the no-picture-policy? I only hope that these officers won't be reprimanded for their behaviour.
Yes, I found this very interesting too. But it has generally been established from Harry's and Kate's scandals that PPOs do not deal with photographers or people holding cameras, so I guess they will not get into trouble over this matter. What surprises me is the fact that the police set up a press area near the church. Seems like there has been a breakdown of communications between WK's office, the PPOs and the local police.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
If the Daily Mail thinks it has the moral high ground, then don't take down the photos, pretty simple.

If the press believes its their constitutional right to photograph members of the Royal Family any time it wants except behind close doors, then do it but don't take down the photos and then complain about it.

Britain has a free press and the royals don't control it but obviously the DM knew it broke its own agreement and took down the photos
I agree. Yesterday when the DM printed the pictures, no other main stream media outlet did that, not even the Daily Telegraph which lifts royal stories from the DM all the time. So the only paper that had to drop the pix was the DM so they are the only paper who now have to cover their tracks by shifting the blame back onto the royals. This is the DM at its most manipulative, cynical best. Don't fall for it.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-26-2012, 12:17 PM
Serene Highness

I think its interesting that the Daily Mail and the other tabloids in Britain agree that photos of Catherine out shopping in Kensington or grocery shopping in Wales, or walking her dog in the park are not public interest stories and don't publish articles or photos because of this but then turns around and says that attending a Christmas Day church service is a vital news story and publish photos of the event because it thinks its news

If the standard is going to be any photos taken of Catherine are free game, then be prepared for the Daily Mail to have its entire front page plastered everyday with photos of Catherine in every edition, with such riveting reportage as Catherine being photographed buying shampoo or picking up after her dog in the park.

Stories right up the Daily Mail's alley it seems
Old 12-26-2012, 12:24 PM
Courtier

I just feel sorry for them. They will never have a "normal" life without being scrutinezed by the media
Old 12-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

Looking at this realistically, the public is interested in Kate's health. So, photos after a hospital stay would not be untoward. It is turning into madness, isn't it. William, the Prince of Pout, at his best. In this instance, there is no privacy. It was all public. If they didn't want photos, the priest would have gladly held a service for them at home. Don't totally blame the media...we're the ones who clamor for the photos.

I hope they had a lovely Christmas.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Looking at this realistically, the public is interested in Kate's health. So, photos after a hospital stay would not be untoward. It is turning into madness, isn't it. William, the Prince of Pout, at his best. In this instance, there is no privacy. It was all public. If they didn't want photos, the priest would have gladly held a service for them at home. Don't totally blame the media...we're the ones who clamor for the photos.

I hope they had a lovely Christmas.
I agree with you in some points
Old 12-26-2012, 12:31 PM
Courtier

What photo? I don't remember any pictures in the press/newspaper of Kate and her family coming out of church in 2010
Old 12-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Just to add that I cannot find any mention of the Duke of Cambridge's complaint about the pix in any other paper.

I really do think that the DM broke an agreement, realised it once advised by the Palace, and then withdrew the pix. Their comments today are a rearguard action in order to keep out of trouble. control of the press is still a hot topic in the UK.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 12-26-2012, 01:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

I may have missed it but has anyone considered the reason they didn't want photos taken might have had to do with the family of the nurse who committed suicide? Her family isn't having a pleasant holiday and Kates hospital stay was the icing on the cake that put her over the edge. How do you think Kate and William feel knowing her children weren't sharing Christmas with their mother? I can personally relate to what they may be feeling and not wanting to present a joyful family occasion out of respect for the family by having photos plastered of them smiling in the press. JMO
Old 12-26-2012, 01:08 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepe View Post
Just to add that I cannot find any mention of the Duke of Cambridge's complaint about the pix in any other paper.

I really do think that the DM broke an agreement, realised it once advised by the Palace, and then withdrew the pix. Their comments today are a rearguard action in order to keep out of trouble. control of the press is still a hot topic in the UK.
You're correct. The DM got caught once again and is spinning the story. No other newspaper is mentioning the complaint from the Duke of Cambridge.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:12 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
What photo? I don't remember any pictures in the press/newspaper of Kate and her family coming out of church in 2010
Yeah, there were pictures of Catherine in the car and leaving church with her family on Christmas 2010. It was right they had announced their engagement. I remember the pictures.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Courtier

Imperfect

Like the rest of us, William and Catherine are imperfect. Yet some are willing to take their signs of imperfection as character flaws of the highest order.
The- if it actually happened- plea for the press to give them some privacy seems to have been reasonable and only a little naive. Perhaps they were appealing to the humanity of the photographers, some of whom have children.
William's wife is having a wretched pregnancy, and yesterday she managed to pull herself together to go to church, only to be faced with photographers. I don't think that William was being imperious, only protective.
He's likely terrified- not of the press- but of the thought that the woman he loves (and his child) might be taken from him untimely.
I'd like to think that the paps and the public might respect this couple's right to have some sort of normal life. And also their right to make mistakes in judgment (if they did indeed request some photogs to lay off, and not others) should not be denied them. How unkind some are in the season of love.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post

The royals are doing a job - on job it is fare game to take fotos; when they are private it is NOT.
I completely agree with your sentiments and happen to share them. However, many people feel that any public figure that receives public funding is public property. I think that such thinking is rather unfair towards the said public figure. Yes, pictures during official engagements and public walk-abouts are expected and acceptable, but, when the said public figure is going to a Christmas service with his/her family PRIVATELY there should be no pictures of that anywhere. They were out, like any other family, and I bet anyone here who would get his/her family time interrupted by the press and then have their pictures splattered all over the world would probably feel a little indignant too. Not to mention that Catherine wasn't feeling well, and probably didn't want the world to see her like that. Again, I agree with William on this. Should be pick his battles? Yes, but he needs to also set the limits and stick with them. By this complaint he is doing jus that.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Closed Thread