The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 04:51 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
I thought that William had been displaying a pretty well rounded maturity since the engagement. But this Christmas behaviour is just plain childish. If he wanted to stay private he should have stayed "in private' instead of venturing into the real world, to a real village, to go to a real church, with real parishioners, attending a real Christmas Day Service and then expect every man and his dog to do a very bad impression of "The Emperor's New Clothes" and pretend he wasn't there.

How utterly bizarre!

I totally agree with your statement Marg &

Old 12-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
There are always going to be photos taken, the Editor of the Daily Mail told the Levenson Inquiry into media practices, they receive over 400 photos of Pippa Middleton each day.

Now what happened in this case, the Palace sent out a note to newspapers beforehand and stated its going to be a private Christmas with the Middletons and no photo ops.

Now just because some photographer managed to track them down and take photos doesn't mean the Daily Mail has to publish them, in fact they agreed a long time ago not to publish photos of the couple on their private time.

The DM knew these were 'rogue' photos and the couple were not on an official visit to the church, but attending a service on Christmas Day along with millions of other Britons.

Now the Daily Mail thought they could slip these in and no one would notice but William knows if you give the press an inch they will take a foot, so the Palace politely reminded the Daily Mail of the pre-existing agreement and the DM sulked and took the photos down and then tried to claim public interest.

Catherine is pregnant and in the words of the late Princess of Wales "The world is watching my belly", and this was before Facebook, and Twitter and the Daily Mail website.

William witnessed first-hand his mother's toxic relationship with the British press and knows in his heart, that if boundaries were set right from the start, its possible his mother would still be with us.

The Royal Family, have an agreement with almost all of the British press, and if the press doesn't want to honour that agreement, then the Royal couple should limit their access. Fair is fair.
Normally I'd agree but when staff for the couple go as far as to move cars so photographers can better pics I think most editors probably see it as reasonable to publish those pictures.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:15 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke-of-Earl View Post
There are always going to be photos taken, the Editor of the Daily Mail told the Levenson Inquiry into media practices, they receive over 400 photos of Pippa Middleton each day.

Now what happened in this case, the Palace sent out a note to newspapers beforehand and stated its going to be a private Christmas with the Middletons and no photo ops.

Now just because some photographer managed to track them down and take photos doesn't mean the Daily Mail has to publish them, in fact they agreed a long time ago not to publish photos of the couple on their private time.

The DM knew these were 'rogue' photos and the couple were not on an official visit to the church, but attending a service on Christmas Day along with millions of other Britons.

Now the Daily Mail thought they could slip these in and no one would notice but William knows if you give the press an inch they will take a foot, so the Palace politely reminded the Daily Mail of the pre-existing agreement and the DM sulked and took the photos down and then tried to claim public interest.

Catherine is pregnant and in the words of the late Princess of Wales "The world is watching my belly", and this was before Facebook, and Twitter and the Daily Mail website.

William witnessed first-hand his mother's toxic relationship with the British press and knows in his heart, that if boundaries were set right from the start, its possible his mother would still be with us.

The Royal Family, have an agreement with almost all of the British press, and if the press doesn't want to honour that agreement, then the Royal couple should limit their access. Fair is fair.
Perfectly stated Duke of Earl. I agree with you completely. I honestly believe that in the future we'll see the Cambridges creating a "media code" similar to the one that the Dutch royal have when it comes to photographing their children.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

There have been a dew posts stating that it has not been proven that William complained to anyone; so why are some in this thread actig like it is definitely the truth that he did complain?
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 12-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Serene Highness

The couple's staff are not allowed to prevent photographers from taking photos and the moving of cars was a safety issue because of the danger to pedestrians.

Again this no photo ban on private time is what the editors agreed to. Obviously their word doesn't mean much, so I hope the Palace limits all official photo ops in the future, including the new royal baby
Old 12-26-2012, 05:19 PM
Courtier

The daily mail has written that st James' palace asked them to take the photos taken at the church down. To be fair that's more of a source than some posts on these forums. of course we need to take it all with a pinch of salt.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Nobility

Quote:
You can't turn off your wanting the press and not wanting the press like a spigot. You take public money and you are a celebrity. The Royals are no different that any other politician or celebrity.
In the case of "public money", most of them are different from politicians and celebrities. The only two Royals who get money from the Civil List are the Queen and Prince Philip. In particular, William and Kate live off his personal income from his job, his inheritances from his mother and most likely his great-grandmother (the Queen Mother), and Charles also subsidizes both William's and Harry's private incomes. Protection Officers are paid for by the public, through the government, but then the PO's are at the insistence of the government, not the Royal Family. All Royals who perform Royal duties are reimbursed for any expenses that they must expend in fulfilling these duties (travel, food, etc.).
Old 12-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Serene Highness

^Now royalty does not live on public income??!! Where do you think the money from the Duchy of Cornwall comes from? Fron revenue. And it is not exactly accurate to say they have enherited, but they have taken I´d say. When a monarch created a duchy, who did they ask permisison?

And as regards this topic, if he did really complain (which I still don´t believe) why does he think attending a chuch is private thing? Outside, they are on public grounds, the journalists did not break the law.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Heir Apparent

I think if you researched some or the richest landowners in your own country I think you would find that their historic acquisition of land was not exactly democratic either. The same probably applies to mine.

We cannot apply todays rules and social mores to history any more than we can go back and change it.

As to William and the "public/private" divide? I think we will hear a lot more about this over the next few months.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Veyr mixed attitude to the press and pictures - totally agree with William and Kate asking for privacy at the middleton family home over christmas - but the pictures that were taken are outside church in a public place. Anyone could have taken these pictures - paps or passerbys or local church goers. I do think these church pictures arent obtrusive - we have pictures of Kate etc attending weddings and essentially that is the same as these christmas day pictures. It seems from what has been reported their protection officers made no attempts to shield the couple or move press away - in fact space was made for them to take pictures. At the end of the day if they didnt want to be pictured then they should have remained at the Middleton family home.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by miche View Post
The only photos I remember coming out was her and her family leaving Westminster Abbey after the engagement, nothing around Christmas
she was picture in the car with her family a couple of christmases ago
Old 12-26-2012, 11:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
There have been a dew posts stating that it has not been proven that William complained to anyone; so why are some in this thread actig like it is definitely the truth that he did complain?
I'm thinking he has because otherwise why would the palace's pr people have complained to the press I don't think they can just do that one their own. No one physically said William went and complained but both DM and Niraj have acknowledged that their was some sort of complaint from the palace about the photos.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:41 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessofEurope View Post
Veyr mixed attitude to the press and pictures - totally agree with William and Kate asking for privacy at the middleton family home over christmas - but the pictures that were taken are outside church in a public place. Anyone could have taken these pictures - paps or passerbys or local church goers. I do think these church pictures arent obtrusive - we have pictures of Kate etc attending weddings and essentially that is the same as these christmas day pictures. It seems from what has been reported their protection officers made no attempts to shield the couple or move press away - in fact space was made for them to take pictures. At the end of the day if they didnt want to be pictured then they should have remained at the Middleton family home.
Agree 100%!!! The palace should get a reality check and only complain when its worth complaining. Whats next, pictures of Kate cant be taken when she is on a shopping trip because its "private"?
Old 12-27-2012, 03:12 AM
Majesty

"I had been the only photographer with the Cambridges as they finished their arduous tour on the Pacific atoll of Tuvalu. Now, on the way home via Australia, Wills and Kate were scrolling through my handiwork. Laughter filled the air as they looked at the slideshow on my laptop while I sat at the back of the jet. A few minutes later William came down to see me with my computer and pointed at one of my frames. It showed him wearing a natty, traditional floral garland balanced on his head. “Please, Arthur, could you not put this picture out?” the Duke of Cambridge asked with a smile. I replied: “It’s too late, sir, the pictures have gone back to London. What don’t you like about it?” The Prince replied: “I like it but the lads at the air base will pin it up on my locker and will write nasty comments all over it.” I said: “They can’t do that, sir, you’re a captain.” He smiled again: “That won’t stop them.” The tour had begun badly, with the publication of topless pictures of Kate taken in France. It was ending with the couple looking joyful and radiant. I told Wills: “I’d just like to say that your missus has done a brilliant job on this tour and you must be very proud of her.” “Yes,” he said, “That’s why I married her."

Arthur Edwards - The Sun (via a-royal-love-affair)

That's a very nice story from Arthur Edwards. I know William is very pround of his wife.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Yep was just about to post that too. Full article here Queen glanced lovingly at Wills as if to say, one day all this will be yours | The Sun |Features
Old 12-27-2012, 04:04 AM
Nobility

Being in a public space doesn't make you public property - you don't have to tolerate being followed around (it's called stalking, you know?);

I'm a professional media-officer; when I'm on duty and talk for my company, of course my image and my voice is for publication - if I'm out on private matters (church, taking kids to school, shopping, vacation) this is private - so no one has the right to take or publish my image without my consent .. what is so hard to gasp about that?

The same thing applies basically to the Cambridges. There wheren't doing any public function - that was a private church visit to worship. AND moreover they ASKED for privacy beforehand (which was agreed on) BUT the DM thought they could do as they liked.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:55 AM
Courtier

Love this: "I told Wills: “I’d just like to say that your missus has done a brilliant job on this tour and you must be very proud of her.” “Yes,” he said, “That’s why I married her.”
Old 12-27-2012, 07:07 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkittybaby View Post
Love this: "I told Wills: “I’d just like to say that your missus has done a brilliant job on this tour and you must be very proud of her.” “Yes,” he said, “That’s why I married her.”
They really are a close and loving couple. I love that quote by William
Old 12-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade View Post

Agree 100%!!! The palace should get a reality check and only complain when its worth complaining. Whats next, pictures of Kate cant be taken when she is on a shopping trip because its "private"?
That is exactly the point; when the Duchess is NOT out in official capacity, she shouldn't be subjected to being photographed. She was not out on a public engagement on Christmas Day, so no pictures shoukd have been taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
"I had been the only photographer with the Cambridges as they finished their arduous tour on the Pacific atoll of Tuvalu. Now, on the way home via Australia, Wills and Kate were scrolling through my handiwork. Laughter filled the air as they looked at the slideshow on my laptop while I sat at the back of the jet. A few minutes later William came down to see me with my computer and pointed at one of my frames. It showed him wearing a natty, traditional floral garland balanced on his head. “Please, Arthur, could you not put this picture out?” the Duke of Cambridge asked with a smile. I replied: “It’s too late, sir, the pictures have gone back to London. What don’t you like about it?” The Prince replied: “I like it but the lads at the air base will pin it up on my locker and will write nasty comments all over it.” I said: “They can’t do that, sir, you’re a captain.” He smiled again: “That won’t stop them.” The tour had begun badly, with the publication of topless pictures of Kate taken in France. It was ending with the couple looking joyful and radiant. I told Wills: “I’d just like to say that your missus has done a brilliant job on this tour and you must be very proud of her.” “Yes,” he said, “That’s why I married her."

Arthur Edwards - The Sun (via a-royal-love-affair)

That's a very nice story from Arthur Edwards. I know William is very pround of his wife.
A lovely read. Thank you for sharing. Seems as if Wills is indeed just 'one of the lads' on base . Hopefully the teasing wasn't too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post
Being in a public space doesn't make you public property - you don't have to tolerate being followed around (it's called stalking, you know?);

I'm a professional media-officer; when I'm on duty and talk for my company, of course my image and my voice is for publication - if I'm out on private matters (church, taking kids to school, shopping, vacation) this is private - so no one has the right to take or publish my image without my consent .. what is so hard to gasp about that?

The same thing applies basically to the Cambridges. There wheren't doing any public function - that was a private church visit to worship. AND moreover they ASKED for privacy beforehand (which was agreed on) BUT the DM thought they could do as they liked.
I agree 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkittybaby View Post
My favorite part as well. Says so much about their relationship.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:45 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nice Nofret View Post

Thank you for your insight into the world of media relations.