The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > Current Events Archive

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 10:28 PM
Heir Apparent

More on this
Victoria Arbiter ‏@victoriaarbiter I appreciate a request for privacy but to ask the British press not to print pix of Will & Kate outside church seems a little over the top.
British Royals ‏@britishroyals @victoriaarbiter Baffling turn of events. Does it matter that they asked the press to stay away beforehand?
Victoria Arbiter ‏@victoriaarbiter
@britishroyals even having asked the press to stay away they HAD to know that there would be snappers. To be expected at church so I don't
Victoria Arbiter ‏@victoriaarbiter
@britishroyals really understand the grumble. Especially if the photograhers weren't moved on.

Old 12-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Serene Highness

This relationship is a two way street. The press and media make a bundle of money running constant articles about the Royals and especially Catherine

I don't think its much to ask when clearly on private time and there is no public interest augment, then just leave the couple alone.

Remember the press will be clamouring for baby photos of the new prince/ss and maybe even an interview with Catherine and William, so if the press want access to TRH when it suits them, then William and Catherine are entitled to ask the tabloids to respect their boundaries when on private time

Old 12-25-2012, 10:32 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I think the press has done what the palace asked of them, respect the privacy of the royal couple and the Middleton family. I don't think press hounded the family at their home but I think they would've expected some pictures to be taken as they left church.
Actually, I think some press did hound the family at their family home. If not, how would the press know that they were going to church?
Old 12-25-2012, 10:34 PM
Heir Presumptive

I honestly think this was the wrong battle to pick. I understood totally when they went after the press for violating the privacy of their vacation alone, but they were in a public space when these photos were taken.

I'm not sure what the logic was here.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Majesty

I don't know, I just think the church photos should've been fine. I think if they were pictured on the Middleton family estate (which is private property) then I would understand the complaint. I just think they should've known they would be photographed leaving church.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Serene Highness

For 99 percent of the time they're in a public space, whether out walking, grocery shopping or doing whatever.
The press doesn't publish photos any longer of Catherine entering and leaving Tesco, so why do we need to see them entering and leaving a church service on their private time?
Old 12-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I don't know, I just think the church photos should've been fine. I think if they were pictured on the Middleton family estate (which is private property) then I would understand the complaint. I just think they should've known they would be photographed leaving church.
Exactly. Maybe there's an element to the story that's missing? Perhaps the paparazzi were particularly rude and tried to get photos of Kate looking upset, or something like that?

That's the only reason I can come up with that would justify objections to photos taken in a public space.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie View Post
Actually, I think some press did hound the family at their family home. If not, how would the press know that they were going to church?
I'm thinking that's where the Middletons go to church on a regular bases. Catherine and her family was pictured leaving church in 2010. So I guess the press knew they would be there.
Old 12-25-2012, 10:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I think it was announced somewhere in the press that the Duke and Duchess would be attending church services with the Middletons, so that was most likely a no-brainer for the photogs.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:45 PM
Courtier

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...e-private.html

This article from the DM states that only a few media outlets were written to and asked to stay away while others, including Reuters were not. Therefore when those who knew nothing of the request to stay away turned up and took pictures they saw no reason why they could not be made public. Furthermore the article states that there was even a press area fenced off and that cars were moved to allow the press a better view so a lot of very mixed messages going on. The DM also confirms that following a request from the couple the pics have been taken down.

Seems to me to be a very disorganised press office for the couple ATM, maybe worth remembering that annoying the press can make life more difficult for the couple in the long run.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:05 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
A baffling request to keep Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's public appearance private | Mail Online

This article from the DM states that only a few media outlets were written to and asked to stay away while others, including Reuters were not. Therefore when those who knew nothing of the request to stay away turned up and took pictures they saw no reason why they could not be made public. Furthermore the article states that there was even a press area fenced off and that cars were moved to allow the press a better view so a lot of very mixed messages going on. The DM also confirms that following a request from the couple the pics have been taken down.

Seems to me to be a very disorganised press office for the couple ATM, maybe worth remembering that annoying the press can make life more difficult for the couple in the long run.
This is certainly very interesting. I would agree that WK's office should have give a clearer message on whether or not they want the photographers to be at the church. Maybe they should have published the note on the official website or something...you know... so as the press have no excuse...

Similarly, I would also like to roll my eyes at Daily Mail's stance. I am quite willing to bet that they are one of those newspapers that were advised to keep away from the royal couple. But it seems that given the chance, they are quite happy to break the promise and publish the pictures, which in fact is what they happily did.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:13 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollie View Post
Similarly, I would also like to roll my eyes at Daily Mail's stance. I am quite willing to bet that they are one of those newspapers that were advised to keep away from the royal couple. But it seems that given the chance, they are quite happy to break the promise and publish the pictures, which in fact is what they happily did.
Exactly Hollie. The DM knew in advance this was going to be a private Christmas for the couple but the second a photo appeared the DM puts it up on their website

Look if there is no delineation between the couple's public life and private life, then its going to become a bizarre world fairly quickly

There is a free press in Britain and if they want to follow this couple around or publish photos of them out running errands or leaving church on Sunday, the press can but just don't expect more than the obligatory photo op with the new Royal baby and no interviews either.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:16 AM
Courtier

To be honest I think realistically William and Kate are going to get photographed on Christmas day so perhaps they need to accept that and find the best way to accommodate it. Obviously at Sandringham that is taken care of when the royals all go to church. Perhaps if they want to be at the middletons on Christmas day in the future arranging for the media to be allowed in one place and take a few photos might be the best option. Then it can be controlled, the media get pictures for us to see and any taking pictures anywhere else, say at church, would have to have an very good reason for doing so. Maybe a few minutes of pictures of the cambridges walking down the middletons driveway into a car on their way to church.
I know it might sound harsh but I don't think a future king and queen can expect not to be photographed if they step out of the house on Christmas day.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:36 AM
Serene Highness

I don´t understand why everybody is assuming William complained about the pictures, but anybody is free to think what they want. I don´t think he did. Why would he? If he was upset for the pics then he should complain to the Middletons good friend Narij Tanna. All the pictures that apeared first have the mark of his agency and were taken by one of his collaborators.

https://twitter.com/therealjesal

I supposed they were later sold to sites like DM, since thre are no different pictures anywhere. I would bet there was only one photographer there.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

It makes perfect sense that the Duke and Duchess should spend Christmas with the Duchess' family considering her health issues relating to her pregnancy. She may not want to eat what and when other people are eating, if she can stand the smell/looks of any food at all. She may need to be resting for periods each day. I would assume the Queen is very protective of the Duchess health and would welcome any situation where she can be as comfortable as possible.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:10 AM
Royal Highness

Church is public place and reporters had to know that Middletons will be there. Kate is now member of the most important family in GB so it's normal that they're followed by the paps, she get husband and the title but she lost lots of privacy, she's not first and not last in royal world. I hope that Will won't sue media like he likes, it will be only harder if they'll try to fight with media, Diana lost, they will too.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:16 AM
Aristocracy

Mmmm we use to live in that area and the church at Englefield is not the local church for the Middletons it is a good 15 minute drive from Buckleberry. Englefield village is tiny and the majority of it belonged to the Englefield Estate (google it -it's a stunning place) which the local mp owns. I have a feeling the Middletons might be friends of his and used this church to keep out of the limelight. It really isn't an obvious choice which means they were probably followed there.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:42 AM
Courtier

Victoria Arbiter@victoriaarbiter
I appreciate a request for privacy but to ask the British press not to print pix of Will & Kate outside church seems a little over the top
Old 12-26-2012, 06:59 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkittybaby View Post
Victoria Arbiter‏@victoriaarbiter
I appreciate a request for privacy but to ask the British press not to print pix of Will & Kate outside church seems a little over the top
I quite agree! They do know who they are don't they?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:15 AM
Courtier

A baffling request to keep Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's public appearance private | Mail Online

I asked myself the question last week --- why do I care about this boring 31 year old woman. And the answer was --- I don't.

New Year - Find something better for myself to do!