Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 4: September 2012-February 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if the Middletons are at their new more private house?

Taking the long term view, however, I hope William and Kate alternate Christmases with the BRF and the Middletons.
Like other married couples do.
Princess Martha Louise of Norway spends Christmas this year with her parents-in-law and no one in Norway is outraged.

I don't know if Sarah still spends time on the Sandringham estate at a cottage during Christmas but I have read about it.

I'm guessing that Beatrice & Eugenie do celebrate the holidays with their mother. Either before they depart for Sandringham or after their time at Sandringham. It would be sad if they didn't spend Christmas with their mother at all.

Wood Farm cottage on the Sandringham Estate I think Sarah was known to use. It's said that Wood Farm is where divorced spouses are put up to be near their children during the holidays-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wood_Farm

I just hope the media do what the palace has kindly asked them to do, respect the the Cambridges and Middleton family privacy over the holidays.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has already been speculated that the queen might leave Sandringham to William and Catherine and that Charles will keep Highgrove - so we might see the day when the Xmas party at Sandringham is hosted by W&C. So it isn't such a big deal to miss out for this year, while it is the last time Catherine will be able to spend Xmas as she was used to, as her parents move house o and then she will be a guest in their new house for this will never be her real home like the old house was.
I doubt the Queen would leave Sandringham to William as that would result in rather large inheritance taxes. Only monarch to monarch inheritances escape death duties/inheritance taxes. Also Highgrove is not Charles's private property. It belongs to the Duchy of Cornwall and Charles will cease to be the Duke of Cornwall the moment HM takes her last breath and William will automatically become the Duke of Cornwall at the same moment.

Like other married couples do.
Princess Martha Louise of Norway spends Christmas this year with her parents-in-law and no one in Norway is outraged.

The Prince of Orange and Princess Maxima spent christmas together with their children in Argentina with Maxima's family since three years.

Like most here, I am a big fan of the Cambridges and I don't question a lot of what they do as many treat William like an heir rather his rightful role, heir to the heir. However, I'm not sure this was the best decision, forgoing Christmas at Sandringham. As has been mentioned before, other members of the immediate royal family, Sophie, the York girls, have had to do Christmas at Sandringham. Perhaps they did not ask to spend Christmas with the Rhys-Jones's or the Duchess of York. If they have and been denied, I can see resentment towards the Cambridges over this. I hope I am wrong.

Like most here, I am a big fan of the Cambridges and I don't question a lot of what they do as many treat William like an heir rather his rightful role, heir to the heir. However, I'm not sure this was the best decision, forgoing Christmas at Sandringham. As has been mentioned before, other members of the immediate royal family, Sophie, the York girls, have had to do Christmas at Sandringham. Perhaps they did not ask to spend Christmas with the Rhys-Jones's or the Duchess of York. If they have and been denied, I can see resentment towards the Cambridges over this. I hope I am wrong.

I think William is being very consistent with this though. If reports are accurate, William has stated from day one that he is doing things differently from the past and Catherine's family is not being pushed to the side for any reason.

Another thing to factor in is, William unlike his cousins or uncles is going to be King and he carries a little more clout (IMO at least) than say Bea or Eug

William strikes me as being a rather assertive chap and contrary to the tabloids is in no way a pushover.

IMO, this is the new normal in the BRF and I think it helps set the tone for other younger members such as Bea and Eug, who on their own would not be able to set the example William is doing here.

We may find the Queen giving the Yorks more room to do their own thing.

:previous: I hope it's not the new normal. I don't like the idea of senior members of The Royal Famiy skipping Christmas! :whistling:

Not skipping, just celebrating in a different way. The Queen may reign another 10 years. There are changes coming.

Can anyone imagine Harry not spending some Christmases with his future wife's family?

By contrast, this article states that the Middletons are in their new home. They were photographed leaving their home when Kate was hospitalized. Somebody must know which it is, but I do not entirely trust the Daily Mail for accuracy either.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...gnant-Duke-Duchess-Cambridge-having-baby.html

ETA: I chuckle every time they reference the supposed selling price of the home.

Last edited:
I'm happy she's spending Christmas with her family. she deservs it. it's fair :)

Niraj Tanna@IkonPictures
I'm hearing that extended members of Michael Middleton's family will be in Bucklebury over the Christmas period. #Christmas #lasttweet #2012

wonder if Gary Goldsmith will join them with his wife and daughter?;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Niraj Tanna@IkonPictures
I'm hearing that extended members of Michael Middleton's family will be in Bucklebury over the Christmas period. #Christmas #lasttweet #2012

Well that's even more of a reason imo to spend this Christmas in Bucklebury.

Just wait 'til next Christmas, there will be a baby in the big house at Sandringham!!

Edit: Well if not the big house, then in the couples cottage haha

Last edited:
I don't see anything wrong with the Cambridges going to Bucklebury this year.

After all, the Queen could have compromised by having the RF celebration at Windsor Castle instead of Sandringham, if she was really determined to have the entire family together.

Gary Goldsmith is a Middleton now?:ermm:
No:flowers: but he is Carole's brother and he has a family too (a wife and a 10 years old daughter). they went to the Royal Wedding, so probably they will join the Middleton family at their home

No:flowers: but he is Carole's brother and he has a family too (a wife and a 10 years old daughter). they went to the Royal Wedding, so probably they will join the Middleton family at their home

The tweet said Michael Middleton's will/might be coming, so I don't see why Gary was brought up

I just suggested it, nothing more:flowers: I was wondering if he will join them as well

Someone in an above comment was being snarky with the 'black-sheep' uncle bit but the comment fell flat because Gary is a Goldsmith and not a Middleton. ;)

Now, now. I too had the same thought about Mr. Goldsmith. Even though he is not a Middleton there might be room for he and his family in the new house. I think it would be only fitting that Carole invite her brother, after all, he is family. Would be interesting to see it happen even though I doubt it would. And as for Catherine being with her family, I think it is wonderful. Nice and relaxing where she can be herself without having to worry about anything or anyone.

I think it's quite lovely that William and Catherine are able to spend Christmas with the Middletons this year. Catherine is in need of something that is relatively low-key, and Christmas with her side of the family may very well be just that.

I think turn about is fair but, I'll bet good money that it is going to be a right royal security nightmare especially now that Catherine is pregnant. I don't know how much privacy the Cambridge's are going to get though as I can see a media scrum at the front gate.

I hope their Christmas is a good one but I think it will be a very short stay, and that that William and Catherine will be heading for peace and quiet as soon as they decently can.

What gets me the most about the splitting holidays with his family and her family is one thing. They are a team. Will's family is as important to Kate's as Kate's is to Wills and all foibles and warts on both sides is part and parcel of it. That's what family is.

You know if the Queen and other members are okay with it then that's all that matters. I see nothing wrong with splitting holidays between his family and hers. If mine lived closer to me then I'd probably be doing the exact same thing.

I really don't think that the immediate family sees Christmas at Sandringham as a "on command" kind of thing like the press makes it out to be. Sure there are traditions and protocols that are followed but when they're all together as a family for Christmas, they don't see a Queen... they see Lilibet, mom and granny and now even great granny. Its a time to just be a family.

For me, to suggest that HM would be insulted or its the end of the world (which didn't happen) if William and Kate weren't there for the yearly family get together on ONE day of the year, it gives the impression that HM is a demanding type of person. That's a trait I've never witnessed in her.

I'd lay money down on a bet there is a phone call though from Bucklebury to Sandringham.

Plus they're going to Sandringham at some point so we'll prob see them eventually it's not like they're ignoring the family all together. And the fact this was planned prior to the pregnancy makes me think this has been discussed in great lengths and is okay with not only the Queen but the rest of the fam.

Plus they're going to Sandringham at some point so we'll prob see them eventually it's not like they're ignoring the family all together. And the fact this was planned prior to the pregnancy makes me think this has been discussed in great lengths and is okay with not only the Queen but the rest of the fam.

What would have been cute is if they told HIS family they were going to hers and told HERS they were going to his and ended up curled on couch in Anglesy eating popcorn and watching "Its A Wonderful Life". Oh wait... they live in a fishbowl. Never mind.

That worked for us during my first pregnancy. ::D:

Don't the ladies change clothes five times during Christmas day at Sandringham? I read it was formal (here on TRF). I have felt Kate will just be emerging from her HG at Christmas, not up to doing a lot, and be free of the illness by mid-January. I remember a Christmas with my in-laws where I had HG. I still vomited some of the time but not all day every day, but I was not up to a big "do". This thread brings back memories, not happy ones, for my illness was considered a sign of weakness and imperfection by my in-laws family.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom