Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortimo View Post
Thanks for posting. How nice of Will's cousin to let them use the chateau

Old 09-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Nobility

Good to see William and Kate take a long weekend getaway. Building and keeping a strong relationship will stand them in good stead in the lifetime of service they will both be giving.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
It's not a holiday, they're spending one day not doing engagements at the expense of the Solomon government who wishes to promote tourism.
Even doing engagements touring the far east is hardly a chore.
This entire trip sounds like its going to be totally wonderful. One thing I love about all these trips for the Diamond Jubilee made by the Queen and her representatives is that we get a glimpse of places and people that I know I'll probably never get to in my lifetime.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 09-08-2012, 10:35 AM
Heir Apparent

That isn't my idea of a chateau; I was expecting something like Chenonceaux, only smaller.

(I don't think that place is very attractive, though I expect it is comfortable).
Old 09-08-2012, 11:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

I really don't understand why people get so upset when William & Catherine get away for awhile. I think it's nice that they spent a few days away and rest up before they embark on this amazing Diamond Jubliee Tour.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
I really don't understand why people get so upset when William & Catherine get away for awhile. I think it's nice that they spent a few days away and rest up before they embark on this amazing Diamond Jubliee Tour.
I am a die hard fan of theirs but they are ambassadors for ParalympicsGB and have hardly been seen - instead, they are on holiday before, what a lot of people will say, a holiday!!
Old 09-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Heir Apparent

The tour to South Asia is not a "holiday" despite the stupid Daily Mail headline. They are doing engagements the whole time from when they step of the plane until they leave. They are meeting the heads of government of 2 commonwealth members in Singapore & Malayasia and helping the Solomon Islands & Tuvulu celebrate their Queen's julibee. William is making several speeches during the tour and even Kate is making a speech at a Hospice in Malayasia. They are visiting a war cementary in Singapore to a lay a wreath and meeting veterans there. They are going to a rainforest in Borneo to promote conversation. The whole time they are doing this trip they will be follow by the world's media. That is not a holiday.

Check out the schedule for the tour and decide if its a holiday
The Prince of Wales - A statement by Jamie Lowther-Pinkerton on The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's upcoming tour to Singapore, Malaysia, Solomon Islands and Tuvalu
Old 09-08-2012, 12:14 PM
Courtier

yiiks .. ten horses wouldn't drag me doing that tour - poor souls.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Imperial Majesty

No this trip isn't a "holiday" they are emabrking on a tour to help celebrate The Queen's Diamond Jubliee. They will be representing The Queen, Flying the flag for the UK & Commonwealth. I really don't think there's anything wrong with them taking some time off before the Jubilee Tour.

I guess if anyone call this Diamond Jubliee Tour a "Holiday" then I guess you you would have to say that the Wessex's also too a "Holiday" trip to the Caribbean this year and so did Prince Harry.

I think it's a shame that the Daily Mail have decided to write about this very important tour on behalf of The Queen and call it a "Holiday" because it's far from a vacation.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Also let's not forget that The Duchess of Cambridge will be making her speech at a hospice. This is another big step for her as a senior member of the royal family.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Even Harry, who certainly enjoyed his very first solo overseas tour to the Caribbean and Brazil, said when he was interviewed at the end of it that he was absolutely shattered. When every minute of every day is planned down to the last second involving official activities which require the royals to be 'on' the whole time, it wouldn't matter if you were visiting Barbados or Timbuktu, it's going to take a lot out of you.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
That isn't my idea of a chateau; I was expecting something like Chenonceaux, only smaller.

(I don't think that place is very attractive, though I expect it is comfortable).
The French "chateau" does not mean palace or castle but manor house - and these come in all sizes, large and small.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:48 PM
Imperial Majesty

EIIR. that's why I don't know how the royals did those very long tours back in the day. The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh and the late King & Queen used to do 6 week and 8 week tours. Although they haven't done tours like that since the 40's, 50's, and 60's, I think these tours today will still wipe you out.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
So in your opinion being a helicopter pilot and saving lives isnt a job? Good to know.

If you are off most of the time it is a farse. I was told in this forum he had 38 days off a year. Well, Im summing up all his days off and (Jubilee, Olympics, vacation with Middletons, vacation in France) and we are only in September. He´s half way between the two, royal duties and pilot. In the end he does not fulfill ant of them properly.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Imperial Majesty

I think William work very long hours and in shifts in the SAR. He did mention in an interview with Katie Couric that he's now finding it hard to balance out his military life and royal duties.

By the end of this year he and Catherine have to decide if they will stay in the military a little longer of will become full-time royals by next year. There's no doubt that William works but there are many things he just can't miss , like the Jubilee celebrations, Trooping the Colour and Olympics. He managed to make it to the opening ceremony and attend at least some of the games but he couldn't make it to the closing ceremony. He attended a couple games at the Paralympics but that was it.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
If you are off most of the time it is a farse. I was told in this forum he had 38 days off a year. Well, Im summing up all his days off and (Jubilee, Olympics, vacation with Middletons, vacation in France) and we are only in September. He´s half way between the two, royal duties and pilot. In the end he does not fulfill ant of them properly.
"...In the end he does not fullfill any of them properly."

Try telling that to the people whose lives were saved because of the efforts of William and the team he works with.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana View Post
He has actually 38 days holidays. In addition he works shifts where he works 24 or more hours in a row and then of course has 3 days off - days that do not count as holidaytime. My son is in SAR as well and believe me these days are needed after such shifts. But William uses them to do Royal duties - duties he is not payed for. In addition he still has no official function as he neither heir nor souverain - he is just supporting family.

So why be thankful that he has an important jobs and helps out at the family shop after his working hours. IMHO it's the shopowner who commands and not outsiders who have no idea how the family firm is actually run, how much work is to be done and who does what.

BTW: I call his being at the Olympics and Paralympics not "holiday" but Royal duties. Nice ones, for sure, but not necessarily "holidays".
Old 09-08-2012, 01:33 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosana

In the end he does not fulfill ant of them properly.
In your opinion.

He is a Prince of the United Kingdom trying to be useful and not just a working royal. There is a balancing act to be sure. And I'm sure in certain circumstances allowances are made.

However, counting days obligated to other projects does not automatically make them vacation days. My understanding is that his squad (all of them,not just him) have an intense 3 days on / 3days off schedule...or something similar). I do know when you are a pilot you have more restrictions on the number of consecutive hours/days you are allowed to fly. I don't know how it works but there is more flexibility in a position like that. We know he didn't attend the 2nd week of Olympic events because he was on duty. He may have been doing back to back shifts to afford the time off from the week before. We know there have been times he has finished a shift and shown up at an appearance. He is trying to juggle. By his own admission,there are more demands on his time. I liken this to some of my friends who after they have children they want to return to work, but they need a little flexibility on both sides to make it work. They have multiple obligations, and are trying to keep both constituencies happy. I've seen co workers complain about someone not putting in the same hours as someone else who is a mom.... They don't know what arrangements have been made. In Williams case, the jubilee tour is a government tour, that may just be a reassignment of duties...idk. He may have taken extra leave for the jubilee year and extended the time at the end of his contract. we don't know.

I think he is doing a great job. I think running away to Provence for 2/3 days to his cousins place would be the equivalent of running away for a weekend getaway. W&K have an exhausting tour in front of them and good for him for pulling a few days break.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:57 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

By the way his 38 days doesn't include the time he got off before and after the Falklands.
Old 09-08-2012, 02:18 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
He has actually 38 days holidays. In addition he works shifts where he works 24 or more hours in a row and then of course has 3 days off - days that do not count as holidaytime. My son is in SAR as well and believe me these days are needed after such shifts. But William uses them to do Royal duties - duties he is not payed for. In addition he still has no official function as he neither heir nor souverain - he is just supporting family.
I agree with you on the demands of working rescue service.

A person that works in SAR or any of the other emergency rescue type services has what I think is one of the most stressful jobs around. My hubby before he retired was a professional EMT and also worked with our local volunteer fire department. It may look like they're not doing anything but having time off and lounging around the station, but when that alarm goes off, they have to be fit, ready and alert to fly at a moment's notice. People's lives are at stake here and every minute counts. They're away from home for long shifts, have restrictions on certain things (hubby couldn't consume alcohol 8 hours before doing a rescue or drive an ambulance) and it is very physically and emotionally draining. You're pooped from stress the first day you're off, can maybe enjoy the second and the third is getting ready to go back to work.

I remember not too long ago (I think it was Trooping the Color) that William got off a shift and drove right away down to London to attend. He looked totally washed out. If W&K can take a couple days to just have alone time and do nothing at all if they please is well earned I think.

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Closed Thread