Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 3: April-September 2012

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It makes sense that William would make an effort to see his father over the holiday. C&C were on their Scandinavian tour when Wills returned from his tour and W &K went skiing before they returned.... William had not seen his father in a few months. Nice that not every holiday has to be photo op.

Is it not possible that William did a few shifts last week? Do we know when they got back? It's a very short hop from Angelsey to Scotland for the weekend.

One of the very, very few advantages of working 12 hour shifts is that you tend to get blocks of days off. So my father (who also works 12 hr shifts) would work a few days, then have say 4 days off and work another 3-4 days. William could very easily go to Scotland for the weekend without having to take any time off.

Is it not possible that William did a few shifts last week? Do we know when they got back? It's a very short hop from Angelsey to Scotland for the weekend.

One of the very, very few advantages of working 12 hour shifts is that you tend to get blocks of days off. So my father (who also works 12 hr shifts) would work a few days, then have say 4 days off and work another 3-4 days. William could very easily go to Scotland for the weekend without having to take any time off.

I agree, William could well have returned to work last week after skiing.

Is it 12 or 24-hour shifts? For some reason I thought it was the latter. 12 hours isn't incredibly long given that it is quite common in other military as well as civilian careers. The block of days off would also make more sense, though I realise your father does 12-hour shifts and also gets time off similarly.

Forgive my ignorance, can someone post a link, etc. that says 12 hours shifts for William so that I can correct myself :flowers:

It doesn't say that Camilla would be there. Rather Tom PB wrote in his weekly food column that he was writing it at ' his mother's house' ( which we assume to be Raymill since that's the base Tom and Laura have in the country). He also writes that he was making lunch for 20 people aged from 2 to 72. ( Using some assumptions again, Andrew PB is 72 and Tom's son and twin nephews are 2 years old.

For clarification the actual quote
I’m writing this at my mother’s house in Wiltshire. I’m plonked in her study, where the internet connection is temperamental, but the view sublime.

Is it 12 or 24-hour shifts? For some reason I thought it was the latter. 12 hours isn't incredibly long given that it is quite common in other military as well as civilian careers. The block of days off would also make more sense, though I realise your father does 12-hour shifts and also gets time off similarly.

Forgive my ignorance, can someone post a link, etc. that says 12 hours shifts for William so that I can correct myself :flowers:

Graduation day for Prince William, the search and rescue helicopter pilot | Mail Online

up to 10 - 24 hour shifts per month, according to this article from when he first graduated.

I just assumed they were 12 hour shifts, thanks for the article sndral, his shifts could actually be considerably longer. He could conceivably 'only' work 2 days per week if he's working 24 hour shifts.

I know there are always 2 pilots in the helicopter and no doubt they get used to it, but surely it's not a great idea to send a helicopter pilot who's been on duty for 20+ hours into gale force winds in the Irish Sea to try and undertake rescue operations?

I just assumed they were 12 hour shifts, thanks for the article sndral, his shifts could actually be considerably longer. He could conceivably 'only' work 2 days per week if he's working 24 hour shifts.

I know there are always 2 pilots in the helicopter and no doubt they get used to it, but surely it's not a great idea to send a helicopter pilot who's been on duty for 20+ hours into gale force winds in the Irish Sea to try and undertake rescue operations?

I think if he's working a 24 hour shift, that means his shift requires him to be on station and ready to fly at any given moment. In doing search and rescues, response time is very important. Some days they may not even have a call to respond to but they're ready. I imagine while he's on base there are sleeping, eating and lounging quarters. They also have to be sure that their helicopter and equipment is ready to fly. I imagine too that if its run anywhere like here, its required that there is no alcohol for 12 hours before a shift. They're always well rested and alert on any rescue they go on.

I'd guess that search and rescue is a lot like firemen here, they sleep @ the station, cook at the station (and some are really good cooks - never turn down an invite to eat @ a fire station, btw!) wash their firetrucks and the like, but if an alarm sounds they drop everything and spring into action.

Last edited:
Graduation day for Prince William, the search and rescue helicopter pilot | Mail Online

up to 10 - 24 hour shifts per month, according to this article from when he first graduated.

Thank you both. So we can assume that some days could be 12 hours and some up to 24 hours? Glad I somewhat understand how it works now.

Does anyone know when Kate will start working with the scouts?

Aaaand, should I say it? While I'm always happy about a new appearance, I rolled my eyes when I saw it was another film premiere.

Its an engagement in support of their charities. IMO, that is all that matters. Every engagement does not have to involving visiting an orphanage, or a coal pit.

. But in the aftermath of the memorial service and ski vacation drama, it doesn't look too good that their first (or one of their first) appearances will be another glam red carpet event. :cool:

What drama? My sense is that teh "drama" was limited to TRF.

Does anyone know when Kate will start working with the scouts?

I read she already did it when William was preparing to go to the Falklands, so very busy and both in Anglesey. But am sorry I don't find the source right now. But I recall I thought that this is good for her.

I read she already did it when William was preparing to go to the Falklands, so very busy and both in Anglesey. But am sorry I don't find the source right now. But I recall I thought that this is good for her.

Thanks! I really thought that she was only in London when William was away

Richard Palmer‏@RoyalReporter

Two more London engagements for William and Kate on April 26 - receptions celebrating the Scott-Amundsen centenary race+Imperial War Museum

William and Kate will attend a reception at Goldsmiths' Hall on April 26 celebrating the Scott-Amundsen Centenary Race to the South Pole.

William and Kate will also attend a reception to launch the Imperial War Museum Foundation’s First World War Galleries: Centenary Campaign.

Clarence House ‏ @ClarenceHouse The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will celebrate the Scott-Amundsen Centenary Race to the South Pole supporting @PoppyLegion on 26th April

The Duke and Duchess will also attend a reception at @I_W_M in support of the Foundation’s First World War Galleries: Centenary Campaign.
The Duke of Cambridge is Patron of both the @I_W_M Foundation Foundation's First World War Centenary Appeal and the @Race_tothe_Pole
yay! more appearances!

Thank you both. So we can assume that some days could be 12 hours and some up to 24 hours? Glad I somewhat understand how it works now.

Its actually a very interesting way to work - my sister has such a schedule as a nursing administrator - and while I don't understand the attraction of sometimes 48 hour shifts or three 12 hour back-to-back shifts - I do see that she has considerable stretches of time to really relax and do what she likes. Especially if her shifts straddle two week cycles, she can have as much as 10 days free in succession twice a month. However, her work-load when she works is extreme - nothing like the 'fire-house' schedule described here. She needs a lot of sleep to re-coup her forces - and prepare.

Tyger said:
Its actually a very interesting way to work - my sister has such a schedule as a nursing administrator - and while I don't understand the attraction of sometimes 48 hour shifts or three 12 hour back-to-back shifts - I do see that she has considerable stretches of time to really relax and do what she likes. Especially if her shifts straddle two week cycles, she can have as much as 10 days free in succession twice a month. However, her work-load when she works is extreme - nothing like the 'fire-house' schedule described here. She needs a lot of sleep to re-coup her forces - and prepare.

As a nurse where i work, i work at most four 12 hour shifts in a stretch and it can be tiring. But I typically work 10-12 shifts a month with long stretches off. It is nice having a lot of time off!.

Last edited:

Two more London engagements for William and Kate on April 26 - receptions celebrating the Scott-Amundsen centenary race+Imperial War Museum

William and Kate will attend a reception at Goldsmiths' Hall on April 26 celebrating the Scott-Amundsen Centenary Race to the South Pole.

William and Kate will also attend a reception to launch the Imperial War Museum Foundation’s First World War Galleries: Centenary Campaign.

yay! more appearances!

Thank you, ladies for the 'heads-up'. I'm excited to see these two together at an engagement. They work wonderfully as a team.

Certainly two very appropriate engagements, most especially for the Imperial War Museum's WWI campaign. Interest in WWI has increased lately after Downton Abbey and Birdsong. I hope their campaign is successful.

The last time William and Kate took part in a campaign that had to do with war which was the NMA appeal they raised a million dollars in one night. So I am hopefully this campaign is as successful for them.

From BRF official website
The dates when the Olympic Flame will pass through Royal Residences are:
26 July: Buckingham Palace, where The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry will be present.

Wow, I can't believe it has already been a year. I remember watching the wedding and it seems like just yesterday. All in all it has been a very good year for them. Catherine has done a great job in her first year and they seem to be very much in love. I'm very happy for them and I think a little one will probably be on the way soon. Can't wait to see what is ahead. :)

So we have 3 engagements to look forward I believe one on the 25th and two on the 26th. I will be here for all those and I will have updates on times later this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom